Public Telltale Tool for DIY Adventure games!?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »
    I sure hope that the engine isn't too user friendly, or we'll get a bunch of stupid games made by nine-year-olds that don't make sense. (the youtube of adventure games?)

For what I've learned about WME it's a bit more complicated than AGS.
  • edited July 2010
    Necroing this old thread because its something I'm personally still wishing for after all these years.
  • edited July 2010
    I saw this mentioned a while back and thought it would be really really cool (which is everyone's first thought) but then realised it would probably take lots and lots of work to get a personalised game that isn't as good as a professional one. The fantasy is to spend maybe a week on something and have a game that you made and is cool, but in reality, it takes a whole team of people a month to make one episode, so how long would it take 1 guy? (or a handful, if you're the sort with friends).
  • edited July 2010
    Still.... GIMME GIMME GIMME! I'm sure with enough dedication people can make something worth playing.
  • edited July 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Still.... GIMME GIMME GIMME! I'm sure with enough dedication people can make something worth playing.
    Why does it have to be the Telltale Tool? It's a 3D engine (Telltale's own) used together with a scripting language (LUA) to create games.

Why not just grab the Unreal Development Kit and make an adventure in it? It's a 3D engine (Unreal Engine 3.<something> converging on 4) used together with a scripting language (UnrealScript) to create games.

Oh, and it's free for non-commercial use and available RIGHT NOW. I'm pretty sure Telltale won't release the Telltale Tool like the UDK any time soon as they just can't provide the same sort of support (for developers) that Epic can...

np: ISAN - Merman Sound (Glow In The Dark Safari Set)
  • edited July 2010
    You know, one day somebody is going to take the Telltale Tool and create an awesome strategy game out of it.

Don't say that's impossible.
  • edited July 2010
    Source SDK, anyone?

(or a game of Boggle?)
  • edited July 2010
    I would love to terrorize the world with the same errors and glitches which drove me crazy, only at the northpole of course. :O)
  • edited January 2011
    Please TellTale! Sell a public version of it! Share the awesome tool you have, just like Pixar did with Renderman!
  • edited January 2011
    I can't wait for the avalanche of mediocre half finished bug riddled titles to flood the internets and destroy adventure gaming forever !!!

:D
  • edited January 2011
    Sometimes you get a few gems.
  • edited January 2011
    This would be great, I wonder how sophisticated they'd make it? A tool for all to have a go at or something for people with specific knowledge in animating and scripting etc?
  • edited December 2011
    Wintermute2's source is realesed!
    http://wme2.dead-code.org/?p=153
    The author needs help though ... The project isn't complete yet.
  • edited January 2012
    Is there such thing as an adventure game engine that even an idiot like me could use?
  • edited January 2012
    Mike Haley wrote: »
    One can only hope that the Telltale Tool is not released in the same manner as a typical Telltale game. Episodic content is great and all, but I highly doubt that many people would enjoy downloading the dialogue editor, rigging tool, sandbox editor, and scripts in monthly doses. :D

Ha ha yeah could be interesting too see the inevitable: can´t wait for next month when sandbox editor comes out thread.
  • edited January 2012
    Mr Nutt wrote: »
    Is there such thing as an adventure game engine that even an idiot like me could use?

From one "idiot" to "another":
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16704

:) This helped me a LOT! (scroll down a bit to see the list)
    Good luck!
  • edited January 2012
    Geez, how many timesis this thread goona get Necro'd??
  • edited January 2012
    I'd say a safe bet is "as many times as it takes".
  • edited January 2012
    I'd rather see a necro'd thread rather than a new thread with the same questions and answers.
  • edited January 2012
    From one "idiot" to "another":
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16704

:) This helped me a LOT! (scroll down a bit to see the list)
    Good luck!

Thanks, I'll need it. :D
  • edited April 2013
    Y'know, if I ever used the Telltale Tool, it wouldn't be to make games. Rather, I'd use it to make little animated shorts, or re-enactments of unused dialogue in Poker Night at the Inventory.
  • edited April 2013
    Considering this thread is almost six years old, I think it's safe to say any plans of a public Telltale Tool were scrapped a long time ago.

...Speaking of things that were briefly mentioned once and never again, whatever happened to that make-your-own-fairy-tale program?
  • edited April 2013
    Whatever happened to that PILOT PROGRAM TELLTALE
  • I thought Puzzle Agent WAS the Pilot Program? : /

DAISHI posted: »

Whatever happened to that PILOT PROGRAM TELLTALE

• Let's juuust wish. Amen.

• Necromancer Among Us.

Let's juuust wish. Amen.

• So!
    I would like to have the Tool but I really don't think that this will happen in 2020...
    Will Telltale ever release their engine for the public in 2020?
    I hope so!

• edited July 2020

I asked an employee about this like 2 years ago and they said it would never happen likely. Who knows now, especially since there are so many builds of the Telltale Tool, I'm pretty sure every single TTG uses a different build of the Tool with the exception of TWAU/TWDs2 and GOT/TFTB.

I would pay good money for a full license of the Tool, probably even $250 lol. I think the issue would be that the older Tools were a lot more user friendly than the newer versions of the Engine, Hence this placeholder computer texture in GOTG.

• Well, I know that it's impossible to have the Telltale Tool from any other source, and I understand why Telltale is keeping it from the public but I'm just saying that I'm a game developer and I wish I can make games like TWD, and 99% of all Telltale gamers REALLY wish to have the Tool or the engine. Maybe if they made a public testing release or whatever, make sure that lots of people will order it!

• edited September 2020

I'm not sure why would people want to use the TT Tool. It's an outdated engine that has definitely aged badly, and games made in it are full of bugs, glitches and weird animation, and their performance is sometimes terrible. Before Telltale decided to upgrade it for their Batman game, the TT Tool didn't even have a Physics engine, which made development harder and more expensive, and even after they upgraded it, their games were still as buggy and unstable as ever.

Fans were desperately begging Telltale to use another engine, and they eventually announced that they were ditching the Tool in favor of Unity and that The Final Season was going to be the last game made in their engine. Sadly, it was too late, and the company shut down midway through development of TFS. Thankfully, they're now back in full gear and they're developing TWAU 2 on Unreal Engine, which is very magnificent.

I personally think that it's best to get to know other great engines (like Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, etc.) instead of waiting for an aged, buggy tool to come out (which will probably never happen).

• They never used Unity the last game they made was still made in the Telltale Engine.

I'm not sure why would people want to use the TT Tool. It's an outdated engine that has definitely aged badly, and games made in it are full

• I think they're referring to the canceled Stranger Things game.

iFoRias posted: »

They never used Unity the last game they made was still made in the Telltale Engine.

• Yeah, I know. Sorry for not fully clarifying it in my comment.

iFoRias posted: »

They never used Unity the last game they made was still made in the Telltale Engine.

• Actually 7 DAYS TO DIE made using Unity

Yeah, I know. Sorry for not fully clarifying it in my comment.

• edited September 2020

Actually, I used UE4 ALOT, but what if they posted the Telltale Tool for the public instead of making it private.

You said that they are using other engines like UE4, Unity whatever.. which means that they don't need the Telltale Tool anymore. It's going to be smart if they sold the Tool for the public!

Or at least making a story maker, making our own stories and our own characters, it would be awesome!

And I challenge you that if you went to the Wayback Machine or any Web Archive and went to this conversation at 2013 or older maybe, you would find that many people wanted the (Old) Telltale Tool.

So what about the (Current) Telltale Tool?

I'm not sure why would people want to use the TT Tool. It's an outdated engine that has definitely aged badly, and games made in it are full

• HAPPY NEWS!

TELLTALE IS BACK ALIVE!!

So.. I started thinking about the Tool and how more than a thousand person wanted it... Even me! But I think it's time to relax, let them do their job.

If they made a story maker app it would be cool and appreciated...

• They didn't make 7 Days To Die though, they published it for consoles, it was the decision of The Fun Pimps, the game's devs, to use Unity

Actually 7 DAYS TO DIE made using Unity

• There's still use for the Telltale Tool, to support their existing games that run on the engine.

There's no need for the Telltale Tool to be released mate

Actually, I used UE4 ALOT, but what if they posted the Telltale Tool for the public instead of making it private. You said that they are

• edited June 2021

I know, I didn't mean to say that, mate.

It would be better if they've made a Story Builder/Maker app that allows us to make our own stories and share them with Telltale or anybody... I mean, just think about it, mate!

There's still use for the Telltale Tool, to support their existing games that run on the engine. There's no need for the Telltale Tool to be released mate

Sign in to comment in this discussion.