Zack & Wiki based on sam & max?

edited March 2008 in General Chat
Wired’s Chris Kohler recently had the chance to sit down and talk with Capcom’s Hironobu Takeshita, the producer of Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barboros’ Treasure, the upcoming point and click adventure-style game for the Nintendo Wii. With regards to the difficulty, he says that if they don’t understand the puzzles “they’re not paying enough attention.”

Takeshita first talks about the origins of Zack & Wiki, citing the director’s penchant for the point and click games of PC’s yesteryear. Zack & Wiki is a mix of the likes of Monkey Island, Sam & Max and a sprinkling of Wii Remote and Nunchuck magic:

WN: Where did the inspiration for Zack and Wiki come from? It seems very similar to older PC games that I used to play about 10 years ago, although I really don’t see people making games like that anymore…

HT: That’s exactly it. The director of Zack and Wiki is a really big fan of PC point-and-click titles. He played those for many years. After he joined Capcom, he was always saying that he wanted to make one of those adventure games himself. So when we decided to make this adventure game, we were able to combine some of the elements of PC point-and-click games and also use the Wii remote control motion system and put them together into a sort of action/adventure/puzzle game, which really allows us to create a new experience for players.

http://www.nintendic.com/news/1186

Comments

• edited September 2007
    I'll be getting this game as it looks like a hit.
  • edited September 2007
    Yeah I want this game too. It looks brilliant!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Hero1 wrote:
    With regards to the difficulty, he says that if they don’t understand the puzzles “they’re not paying enough attention.”

Who's "they"? Sorry, I'm confused by the statement. :o

I saw this game on display at Comic-Con. Tried a few minutes of it and couldn't figure out what was going on or what I was supposed to do. Admittedly I am not a Wii owner (a travesty, I know) and I couldn't really concentrate because of the setting (lots of people crowded around, noise, Phoenix Wright on demo right next to me...) but my initial impression was that it felt more like a platformer than an adventure game. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it IS a platformer and not an adventure game, but even with the adventure game roots/influences/homages/etc., it might not appeal to entirely the same audience that Sam & Max does.

I'm really interested to hear more reactions to the game once it's out. This is the kind of game where I think I'd put a lot more stock in the reactions of people I know who enjoy the kinds of games I like, than I would in reviews.
  • edited October 2007
    i think its one of those adventure hybrids
  • edited October 2007
    It looks like it'll be a fun puzzle solving game, but, from what I've read, it seems that it will lack the deep storyline and/or open gameplay to make it a memorable adventure game. From what I've seen, it looks like it's gonna be more like: solve the puzzle-> pass to the next stage-> solve the puzzle, and so on...
  • edited October 2007
    Can I download a trial of that game?
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    Probably not, as it's for the Wii and I don't think they have demos for Wii games.
  • edited October 2007
    Yeah, I doubt it'll be a true point-and-click game, actually. I think the designers think "hey, you point the Wii controller at the screen, so this is per definition a point-and-click adventure game!" It does look more like a platformer though. :/
  • edited October 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Probably not, as it's for the Wii and I don't think they have demos for Wii games.

Correct, they don't, although everyone wants them.
  • edited October 2007
    I had heard there' no demos due to small storage space on the system itself (ie no hard drive) Which sucks. :/
  • edited October 2007
    Yeah, but, you can use your own memory cards, so it should be possible to download a (small) demo then... maybe just a rolling demo? Or maybe Nintendo should make available the possibility of an external hard drive, that would be a welcome addition.
  • edited October 2007
    Dedlok wrote: »
    I had heard there' no demos due to small storage space on the system itself (ie no hard drive) Which sucks. :/

But they could just give away demo discs, but they refuse to do that too.
  • edited October 2007
    Hey, there have been Gamecube demo discs in the past, right? Perhaps they could make some Wii demo discs, or maybe Nintendo feel the cost doesn't weigh up to the income they'd get out of that... :(
  • edited October 2007
    There was only 1 demo disc for the public. And that one was intended to be only for people who bought a gamecube but some retailers sold them to everybody anyway. And they charged whatever they wanted to. IIRC Gamestop was charging $5. Some Charged $10. I think best buy initially charged $30 for it. Other than that it was just demo disc for store kiosks.

Nintendo (as far as I can remember) never gave any out thru Nintendo Power (like sony did w/ Offical Playstation Magazine). When I used to work in teh Electronics dept at Wal-Mart I brought up the idea once to the Nintendo Representive and she said they considered that but deemed it too costly. :/
  • edited October 2007
    IGN review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/829/829301p1.html

They give it a 9.0!

Maybe this is the first game for my Wii i will actually play :P
  • edited March 2008
    Can I download a trial of that game?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/05/zack-and-wiki-flash-demo-available/
    (I don't have access to that page from work, so I don't know actually how accurate that demo will be.)
  • edited March 2008
    fco. wrote: »
    It looks like it'll be a fun puzzle solving game, but, from what I've read, it seems that it will lack the deep storyline and/or open gameplay to make it a memorable adventure game. From what I've seen, it looks like it's gonna be more like: solve the puzzle-> pass to the next stage-> solve the puzzle, and so on...

Well, I just finished the game, and turns out it's actually an amazingly fun game. Yes, the story is not very deep, but it's enough to keep the game together.
    Now I understand why Ron Gilbert said the other day on an interview that more than the story, the most important part of an adventure game are the puzzles.
  • edited March 2008
    I lost interest after finishing the third world. It just doesn't manage to keep me in its grasp. I need a good story, too. Or much better, more complex puzzles than what the game offered.
  • edited March 2008
    On other news, Yahtzee has just reviewd this game, showing also briefly his view on adventure games in general.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/3059-Zero-Punctuation-Zack-Wiki
  • edited March 2008
    fco. wrote: »
    On other news, Yahtzee has just reviewd this game, showing also briefly his view on adventure games in general.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/3059-Zero-Punctuation-Zack-Wiki

Definitely hilarious (although warning to the kiddies: Yahtzee uses a lot of swearing and adult concepts... so it's definitely NSFW or school or in front of your parents)

He gives love to Monkey Island but not to Discworld... oh well... :)
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Hey, he actually agrees with me!
  • edited March 2008
    Squinky wrote: »
    Hey, he actually agrees with me!

I am sorry but Yatzhee doesn't agree with anyone, you agree with Yatzhee.:cool:
  • edited March 2008
    Score one for Yahzee. The score is currently about 42-0.

He hits all the correct points as to why the game isn't a classic. Such a nice fellow. One of the few video clips that I actually can't help laughing with.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    I am sorry but Yatzhee doesn't agree with anyone, you agree with Yatzhee.:cool:

Not if I reviewed the game first.
  • edited March 2008
    Squinky wrote: »

Lots of people did. That game came out months ago. I was just stating that his appearance of arrogance in his opinions makes it so that he himself gets in the front of the line. Now I am not sure why I thought my line was funny anymore and am coming off as a jerk so I will stop typing n
  • edited March 2008
    Lots of people did. That game came out months ago.

... except if you rewind to last week's Zero Punctuation review of "Turok" you'll discover that quite a few games don't get released in Australia on time, and we usually pay more for the equivalent product. Not sure about Zack & Wiki mind you.

At least with Sam and Max, it's a worldwide release on Telltale's website and the cost is the same for everyone (in $US).
  • edited March 2008
    Yahtzee's always had a policy of reviewing things that aren't necessarily brand new. Look at his old reviews. They are awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    At least with Sam and Max, it's a worldwide release on Telltale's website and the cost is the same for everyone (in $US).
    And still people already start complaining if the release day has started in Japan and the download isn't up on Telltale's site yet!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.