So now that Disney has bought Lucasfilms does that affect the Monkey Island Franchise

I wonder Whats going to happen to all the IP's like Full Throttle, and Grimm Fandango, and of course monkey island.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Comments

• edited October 2012
    This is surely going to be interesting...
  • edited October 2012
    I do wonder if there's a danger of it being subsumed underneath "Pirates of the Caribbean".
  • SydSyd
    edited October 2012
    I think this could go in three directions:

Best outcome: Surprise revival of LucasArts adventure IPs. Such news would probably also come alongside world peace, as they both have about the same likelihood of happening.

Neutral status-quo outcome: More sitting on IPs. It'll be just like it was, except we can all shake our fists at Disney instead of George Lucas.

Worst case scenario: Disney buries the IPs, and they're never to be seen again. I'm especially concerned of this happening to Monkey Island if Disney decides that it's a "threat" to Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • edited October 2012
    Hard to say. The announcement made it pretty clear that Star Wars is what they're primarily interested in, and any potential profits from the other IPs they're acquiring would just be icing on the cake. The only other IP they mentioned by name is Indiana Jones.
  • edited October 2012
    have you read Ron Gilberts tweet

"Dear Disney: I would like to buy the IP for a game I created called Monkey Island from you. -- Ron P.S. I have no money."
  • edited October 2012
    Telltale should buy Monkey Island off them. After all, their logo looks like Mickey Mouse so it could work :p
  • edited October 2012
    Monkey Island would be a perfect first solo Pixar project for Steve Purcell.
  • edited October 2012
    Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

This could mean that Monkey Island could be again a good franchise to license?
    Telltale, don't miss this event! :D
    Still waiting for TOMI 2! :P

• edited October 2012
    Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

This could mean that Monkey Island could be again a good franchise to license?
    Telltale, don't miss this event! :D
    Still waiting for TOMI 2! :P

I assumed Disney would use LucasArts to improve its console publishing, rather than downplay it. Like when Warner Bros. bought most of Midway.
  • edited November 2012
    Remember how people thought things would go crazy when Disney bought Marvel, but in the end not that much changed?

Something tells me that LucasArts will still be more-or-less independent. They may become a lot more active (as opposed to how right now they pretty much just exist to hand the Star Wars license to other devs), but it's unlikely they'll do anything too different from what they've already been doing (i.e.: lots and lots of Star Wars shit).

Besides, why would Disney be interested in Monkey Island when they have their own more profitable pirate franchise? :p
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2012
    Two words just to frighten or amuse you guys: Mickey Island.

:p
  • SydSyd
    edited November 2012
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Two words just to frighten or amuse you guys: Mickey Island.

:p

tYkyB.gif
  • edited November 2012
    Please Telltale talk to them, try to get the Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and Full Throttle IPs!!!!!!
  • edited November 2012
    Recent news are saying that Disney will focus on mobile and social gaming and also selling old IPs...

Telltale or Doublefine please make another MI come to life. This game has to be alive through all my life, its my favorite. :(
  • edited November 2012
    I think Disney only bought the movie division of Lucas Arts.
  • edited November 2012
    csarkis wrote: »
    I think Disney only bought the movie division of Lucas Arts.

Disney bought Lucasfilm and all their subsidiaries, one of which is LucasArts.
  • edited November 2012
    Abel wrote: »
    Recent news are saying that Disney will focus on mobile and social gaming and also selling old IPs...

Disney selling their IPs? Hmmm. Where did you read that?
  • edited November 2012
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Disney selling their IPs? Hmmm. Where did you read that?

tumblr_m86xdr4Vgb1r2uzu2o1_1280.png
  • SydSyd
    edited November 2012
    Abel wrote: »

As far as I know, they said nothing about selling old IPs. They're interested in licensing IPs.
  • edited November 2012
    Syd wrote: »
    As far as I know, they said nothing about selling old IPs. They're interested in licensing IPs.

TTG get your cute ass in there and get that license!
  • edited November 2012
    Well, if they are giving the license to anyone... I would give Monkey Island to Ron Gilbert, at least license it out to him, so he could make MI3. Then maybe back to Telltale, to continue ToMI. Or even better, have TTG have MI license, then make MI3 with Ron Gilbert? :P

Grim Fandango and Full Throttle should go to Tim, as those were his babies and who knows what he should do with them?

Maybe Maniac Mansion/Dott, Zak, Indy, Loom, The Dig could go to TTG?

Regarding canceled projects, I'd love to see Full Throttle: Payback at one point. Gorgeous game.
  • SydSyd
    edited November 2012
    jannar85 wrote: »
    Well, if they are giving the license to anyone... I would give Monkey Island to Ron Gilbert, at least license it out to him, so he could make MI3. Then maybe back to Telltale, to continue ToMI. Or even better, have TTG have MI license, then make MI3 with Ron Gilbert? :P

Ron has already said before that he wouldn't make his Monkey Island game through licensing. Either he owns the IP (so he can do what he wants and there's no publisher saying what he can and can't do with the property) or he won't be making his Monkey Island 3. Licenses are just temporary things, and whoever holds the IP still ultimately calls the shots.

Best-case-scenario at this point is that Monkey Island is licensed out to Telltale again so they can make ToMI2.
  • edited November 2012
    Am I the only one who doesn't want Ron get full control of the MI license?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. He's responsible for one of my most favourite game series of all times. But, let's face it, the series has moved on. I'm afraid that with full control Ron may go all Lucas on the series in a goal to bring it back to the 'original vision'. I don't want that. Let him create new and awesome games and IPs.
  • SydSyd
    edited November 2012
    Farlander wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't want Ron get full control of the MI license?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. He's responsible for one of my most favourite game series of all times. But, let's face it, the series has moved on. I'm afraid that with full control Ron may go all Lucas on the series in a goal to bring it back to the 'original vision'. I don't want that. Let him create new and awesome games and IPs.

I'm sort of mixed on the idea of Ron getting it back. I know that he wants to bring closure to the series, and to make his Monkey Island game he said he'll have to undo some of the events of the games he didn't make (he apparently has an idea on how to do that without using the old "it was all a dream" crap). I'd like to see his Monkey Island, but at the same time, I don't want those non-Ron Monkey Island games I loved so much to be basically invalidated.
  • edited November 2012
    Here's a crazy idea--a feature-length Monkey Island film, by Disney, with story input from Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer. I'd watch that.
  • edited November 2012
    Lambonius wrote: »
    Here's a crazy idea--a feature-length Monkey Island film, by Disney, with story input from Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer. I'd watch that.
    I'd love to see that too, but it's unlikey.

Disney already got "Pirates of the Caribbean", why they would make another pirate film franchise?
  • edited November 2012
    I'd rather have on by Pixar... but they only create their own IPs.
  • edited November 2012
    I'd rather have on by Pixar... but they only create their own IPs.
    Did they actually say that?
  • edited November 2012

Disney already got "Pirates of the Caribbean", why they would make another pirate film franchise?
    Why wouldn't they?
  • edited November 2012

Yeah, but the two would be pretty different. Pirates is tonally very different from any Monkey Island game. A great Monkey Island film would be animated and more purely comedic than the Pirates films. I could see it being amazing if done right.
  • edited November 2012
    I try to get the Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and Full Throttle IPs in time this .
    :cool:
  • edited November 2012
    Did they actually say that?
    Well, they said they don't accept external scripts, and for now they've only created their own IPs... I think utilizing existing IPs wouldn't satisfy their creativity.
  • edited November 2012
    I'd give Ron's MI IP just to see what'll come out of this. Plain curiosity.
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah, but the two would be pretty different. Pirates is tonally very different from any Monkey Island game. A great Monkey Island film would be animated and more purely comedic than the Pirates films. I could see it being amazing if done right.
    You're right, but for Disney executives that'll be "another pirate franchise", I think they wouldn't see beyond the main story.

In my opinion, it would be more peasible an animated TV show. Of course, I'm talking all this if Ron and if possible Dave & Tim accept.
  • edited November 2012
    Disney don't care who gets creative control, they are after the money. They'll hand any IPs to the highest bidder with the best pitch. They're a business who are in it for the money!

Best we can hope for is there's a huge LucasArts fan on the board of directors who'll push for what we all want. I don't particularly want Monkey Island going to DICE lol!
  • edited November 2012
    zmally wrote: »
    Disney don't care who gets creative control, they are after the money. They'll hand any IPs to the highest bidder with the best pitch. They're a business who are in it for the money!

Best we can hope for is there's a huge LucasArts fan on the board of directors who'll push for what we all want. I don't particularly want Monkey Island going to DICE lol!

I doubt it will be quite like that. Disney is a business but they're not stupid. I don't think they'd give an adventure game IP to a company that doesn't understand the genre. That would be bad business.
  • edited November 2012
    zmally wrote: »
    They're a business who are in it for the money!
    As is every company.

With Disney recently hiring Michael Arndt and ESPECIALLY Lawrence Kasdan to pen the new Star Wars movies, it's clear that they are WELL aware how to do some good to existing franchises. Actually I think Disney would be an excellent partner for Telltale.
  • edited November 2012
    Somehow i seriously doubt that Telltale can afford buying any of those IP's unless they REALLY and i mean REALLY get a deal.

But maybe they can work something out, i mean like with Tales of monkey island, instead of having an ip just sit around doing absolutely nothing, maybe they could make a deal again that earns both money and gets new games made.

i just want to see a Day of the Tentacle from Telltale. Man that would really be something :D

While Telltale have made many great games, for me the one that comes closest to the magic of LucasArts back in the day is "Tales of Monkey Island".

They could even start a kickstarter something before actually going ahead with making a new game in one of the older Lucas Arts ip, if they arent sure about sales.

Somehow i really doubt we are the only ones that loved LucasArts adventure department from way back, i mean those IP's if backed by talented people, can make some of the best point n click games for a new generation.

But i wont have any more of the lies about point n click cannot be done in 3d enviroment or that crap. Point n click, Pc interface for PC, console interface for console :)
  • edited November 2012
    Well The answer is simple

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Secret of Monkey Island

Jack Sparrow and Guybrush Threepwood swashing buckles and shivering timbers side by side

Seeing that MI has a basis in POTC and the POTC movies have a basis in MI its all kind of fitting they become one in the house of mouse
  • edited November 2012
    Except it wouldn't exactly work due to modern day technology and references to it not only being present because of rule of funny, but also oftentimes as quest objects.

Proof in point: Rubber chicken pulley.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.