please don't screw this up

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
Sam and Max: Hit the Road was one of my favourite games of my childhood. I simply loved it to death. It was funny, looked great for its time and felt high-budget.

I really like the fact that you picked up the Sam and Max rights and from what I've seen the game looks pretty ok. I don't really like Max's voice, but I'll get used to it.

What I'm worried about is that the game will be too easy and too short, even with all 6 episodes together. I checked out the Bone demo a while ago and wasn't very impressed. The game according to other people is extremely short and I think the environments looked kinda flat and it just didn't scream quality. (No offense).. Sam and Max looks a lot better from what I've seen from the screenshots, but I'm worried it won't stay true to the original. I know lucasarts has a lot more money, but you should know that standard for Sam and Max is high. If it's done wrong it's like your cat gets killed or something. Since you're a new company, you have to build up some trust. The best way for your company to gain trust is to really focus on the quality of Sam and Max. People want to be like "Wow, Sam and Max is back!" instead of "Meh, I want my old Sam and Max back!".. I tell you.. If they think the first, they'll tell friends and I bet your company will get a really positive result. I think you already know all this and really try to give us the best experience. I'm just a bit worried.

Having said that. I can't wait until the whole first season comes out. I'm not gonna download each episode, cause the short time will ruin my experience. If it's true that each episode takes about 2-3 hours to finish and not like 40 minutes, I think the 12-18 hours for the whole season for about $50 sounds about right.. I wish you all luck and please make sure we can be proud to be Sam and Max fans again!!

Comments

• edited September 2006
    Woah. How many threads like this have I seen on the net? Having to reply to them all is gettin' kind of boring. Anyway, don't worry! For one thing, this project has the help of Steve Purcell, he who brought Sam and Max to life. Also, these guys were working on the game which Lucasarts cancelled, and although the first Bone episode was a little on the 'meh' side, the next was a huge improvement and it can only get better from there! Also, length. Remember quality, not quantity. That's what they're going for. And besides, this is season 1 which suggests there'll be a season 2 and more!

Most of us here love Sam and Max just as much as you and we've been giving our (probably annoying and not needed) advice to Telltale long before they even annouced they had the license.

In short, don't panic. It's in good hands. :)
  • edited September 2006
    When I think about it...

The first game wasn't very long either. If you know what you're doing you can finish it in 1-2 hours. I guess it's alright then..

And we can only hope for more seasons to come.. Would be awesome to have like a whole Sam and Max season 1-5 bundle in the end..

I didn't know Steve Purcell helps with the game, so that's great news for me.. Lets hope for something as great as hit the road..
  • edited September 2006
    I agree. If they screw this up, well...then I'll wait for the next Sam & Max installment, by perhaps another company. However, if Telltale can't pull this off, with the amount of ex-Lucasarts employees working there, as well as looking at some of the staff's professional backgrounds - I simply can't think of anyone else who might be able to do it.
  • edited September 2006
    The cool thing is, if they screw up the first episode, they'll hear about it right away :))
  • edited September 2006
    They'll hear about it whether they screw it up or not before they have a chance to screw it up or not.
  • edited September 2006
    No pressure, guys. ;)
  • edited September 2006
    If I was at Telltale, I think I'd probably puke from pressure right now...if I read the forums...which I doubt many of them do. In fact, if I worked at Telltale, I'd keep well away from the forums.

There's a post somewhere amongst these forums about the SILENT MAJORITY - that is, the people who are absolutely content with what's being being created, but for some reason, only the jerks speak up.

I haven't even played the game and I've still formed impressions of it in my mind. I guess I just can't get my brain around how Sam & Max could be implemented in 3D AT ALL. I guess if the story's tight, it doesn't really matter what the graphics look like. Of course, the graphics are good at the moment, but a compelling story is the golden thread that ties the whole thing together...that, or immersive characters. Ever watch napoleon Dynamite? I love that movie. The story SUCKS, but the whole thing's character driven. Superb.
  • edited September 2006
    There's a post somewhere amongst these forums about the SILENT MAJORITY - that is, the people who are absolutely content with what's being being created, but for some reason, only the jerks speak up.

I am absolutely content with what's being being created. :)
  • edited September 2006
    Ever watch napoleon Dynamite? I love that movie. The story SUCKS, but the whole thing's character driven. Superb.

Personally, I hated the Napolean Dynamite characters. A better example is the Big Lebowski. Absolutely hilarious and completely character driven. That's a movie that literally requires repeat viewings, as you'll miss half the jokes the first or second time through.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    You know, we were planning to screw the game up in a major way, but since you came over and asked nicely, we won't. ;)

Seriously, everyone at Telltale has been working very hard to be true to the Sam & Max license and make a game that's fun to play. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if you are... well, it won't be for lack of effort on Telltale's part.

I agree with the post above that there is no company better qualified to make this game... and apparently Steve agreed too, or he wouldn't have gone with Telltale in the first place. :D
  • edited September 2006
    that's the benefit of episodes. I'm sure it will grow as things go along. Think of The Simpsons season 1 compared to Season 4. Also note how they got rid of Dr. Marvin Monroe because his voice was annoying.
  • edited September 2006
    I have to say, I was sad they changed max's voice again. I got used to the old one. The new one sounds alot like phoney bone. But I'm getting used to it...again... maybe it's for the better. We'll see!!!!!!!!!!
    Bosco is down with it
  • edited September 2006
    No doubt about it hit the road has already set a very high standard. When I look at the people working on the game (brendan ferguson..who wrote/worked on the cancelled lucasarts sequel, dave grossman(MM2 etc), steve purcell..and i could go on.. I'm pretty comfortable its in good hands. The only other person i'd love to have working on the game is mike stemmle. All in all its shaping up very nice.. the guys working on the game loved the original as much as us.. I got faith in them. :D :D
  • edited September 2006
    You know, we were planning to screw the game up in a major way, but since you came over and asked nicely, we won't. ;)

LOL...

I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to offend you guys like that, but a little added pressure is good. My parents used to tell me not to screw up all the time..

I seriously wish you guys all the best. I tried the Bone Cowrace demo yesterday and I think it's a huge improvement over the first one. The graphics look a lot better too (the whole environment wasn't as empty). The only thing was that while the characters looked cool from far away, they looked kinda dull from the close-ups... Never read any Bone comic, so I don't know if the art style should be like that. But still, for what it's worth, I liked the demo. I won't purchase the game though, cause I felt it was a little bit too kiddy.. I'll definitely get Sam and Max season 1 though, even if you screw up.. :D

I hope you guys aren't planning a hiat like you do with bone... Aren't 6 episodes planned for bone as well?? I heard you guys plan to release the 3th episode in a few months. I hope that won't be the case for Sam and Max.. I would love to get my hands on full season 1 like next april..
  • edited September 2006

Oh, don't go out of your way to appease us, the fans who will go insane and while frothing at the mouth will come and bite every single person at Telltale (even ol' Pete the hobo who only came in to see if anyone could lend him a dollar for a coffee). Or possibly just make threads about how displeased we are. Either way, no pressure! :D <-- them's biting teeth.
  • edited September 2006

3th episode in a few months. I hope that won't be the case for Sam and Max.. I would love to get my hands on full season 1 like next april..

3th: Thirdth. Threeth? Thirth? I can't crack it.
    edited September 2006
    I hope you guys aren't planning a hiat like you do with bone... Aren't 6 episodes planned for bone as well?? I heard you guys plan to release the 3th episode in a few months. I hope that won't be the case for Sam and Max.. I would love to get my hands on full season 1 like next april..

Nope, we are committed to doing the entire first season (episodes 1-6) of Sam & Max between now and April.

In fact, the experience of doing Sam & Max this way is giving the team some good ideas for how to proceed with Bone.
  • edited September 2006
    great that sounds good! B-)
  • edited September 2006
    The cool thing is, if they screw up the first episode, they'll hear about it right away :))

I gues that's why they've planed a lapse of two months between episodes 1 and 2, and only one between the rest of them.
  • edited September 2006
    Or because of reasons related to game development.
  • edited September 2006
    But still, for what it's worth, I liked the demo. I won't purchase the game though, cause I felt it was a little bit too kiddy..

There's a difference between something being "kiddy" and simply being not offensive.
  • edited September 2006
    But still, for what it's worth, I liked the demo. I won't purchase the game though, cause I felt it was a little bit too kiddy..

There's a difference between something being "kiddy" and simply being not offensive.

normally I'd agree, but the whole scenario with the "find a present for Thorn to like you" was uugh.. not my style
  • edited September 2006
    I hope I never become as mature as you.
  • edited September 2006
    I'm not mature at all lol... Bone just isn't my style like Barby Horse adventure probably isn't your style..

ok bad comparison..
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    You know it's been said that the books get darker as the story progresses. Well, fortunately for you -- as everyone who has read the comics knows -- it's in Book 3 when Phoney, against his cousins better judgement, swindles a local merchant out of two AK-47s and goes out alone into the forest to rid the valley of the rat creatures once and for all. Also someone probably gets stabbed and says the F word. So, get ready for that!! ;)
  • edited September 2006
    I found that 40 second clip of sam and max gameplay funnier than the entire first 2 bone games.. I enjoy playin bone with my 5 year old niece and 7 year old nephew..but its not somethin i'd spend too much time going through by myself..
  • edited September 2006
    2 months sounds like enough time to get some voice talent in the booth for an afternoon, eh?
  • edited September 2006
    I suspect the voice recording for episode 1 is long completed...they might even have started case 2 by now. You'll have to learn to live with these guys (likely) or play the game text-only (unlikely).
  • edited September 2006
    I suspect the voice recording for episode 1 is long completed...they might even have started case 2 by now. You'll have to learn to live with these guys (likely) or play the game text-only (unlikely).
    Some games, and often games of this sort, do have seperate volume controls for voice, music, and sound effects, so one could conceivably mute the voices if he really wanted to. :p
    I don't see why, though, they're not bad at all.
  • edited September 2006
    It's been confirmed that the game does have that option. I meant that however much one may complain about the voices, the fact is that they're going to end to dealing with them instead of shutting them off.
  • edited September 2006
    Yes I doubt anyone is going to mute the voices..surely they are not that bad.. It does make you appreciate the stellar work they did on hit the road tho.. I didn't realise it at the time but once you heard the voices on the cartoon series.. the season 1 trailer..and then the final voices for episode 1..you realise just how great they were
    edited September 2006
    It does make you appreciate the stellar work they did on hit the road tho..

*shrug*

To be honest, I don't think the voices in Hit the Road are that great.
  • edited September 2006

*shrug*

Gasp! Sacrilege! Actually, that's an interesting point of view. Now that I think about it, they're not brilliant, but they're just the voices I've grown used to, having played HTR much more (and before) than watching the TV series.
  • edited September 2006
    The voices in HTR were my first introduction to SAM & MAX. Think how a baby penguin hears its mothers voice for the first time and never forgets it. Same thing.
  • edited September 2006
    You know, I too like many of you worry that a memorable part of your child hood would one day be remade and not be what you expect or wanted from it. Hit the Road is one of my favorite games of all time. It was accessible, it was charming, and was high quality stuff. Even by todays standards, i still find myself enjoying the game.

Regardless on whether or not you like the new voices, or liked the old ones for Hit the Road, I'm going to have to put in my few cents and say that I'm not digging the voices much. Its sounds and feels really dull. But hey, that might change.

Another thing i noticed from gameplay footage is that overall the game looks flat, but it doesnt look too bad. The environments could use a bit of work but overall i like it. I think Team Fortress 2 [valve] has done the best job so far on making a 3d game feel 2d without any comprimises. Its cartoony and has a great style but also feels and looks up to date.

Second thing i noticed about the gameplay videos is the animation/dialogue sync. One of the things that gave Hit the Road so much charm was the animation. It was well done, well timed and well executed. So far [and i stress so far] from what ive seen the animation is under done. it needs some flavor. sam can stay cool but max was crazy. i think looking back at hit the road could really help touch up some stuff to stay true to the characters. keep it cartoony, both visually as well as the dynamics. lip syncing is pretty poor. although its a bitch to animate, unless you have a system that syncs it for you, its worth it to put the extra effort into animating the dialogue. im talking animate the mouth, as well as the body reacting appropriately depending on the dialogue. animation/sync should play a huge role in keeping this game charming.

other than that im pretty psyched. i loved Hit the Road and was happy to hear another one was finally in the works. I hope to hear good things come release, and also hope the crew at telltale actually read through some forums to add changes/ideas for the games. help can come from anywhere.

Best of luck to the team.

-oneups

ps, excuse the crappy writing. its late, im tired.
  • edited September 2006

*shrug*

really? the sound of the voices i don't care about..but the comic timing and delivery was exceptional.. i originally bought sam and max on the floppy disks..and then later bought the talkie version, which made the game that much funnier..
  • edited September 2006
    Comments about the voices.

I'll save my opinion to when Episode 1 is released and I've played through it. At that point I should be able to know whether or not I like them.
    I think Team Fortress 2 [valve] has done the best job so far on making a 3d game feel 2d without any comprimises. Its cartoony and has a great style but also feels and looks up to date.

I don't think it has anything to do with feeling 2D. I love the TF2 look just as much as you, but not for a second does it feel any less 3D than the next FPS. This is the same for adventure games - the problem is that people automatically put 3D and (attempt of) photorealism together. It has been a valid assumption up until a few years back, when 3D was just shaping up. Nowdays it is time to separate those two things.

People should talk about photorealism and hand drawn games. Or some other better term for the latter. 2D is well on it's way to being ancient history by now.
  • edited September 2006
    Hit the Road makes me laugh out loud when I play it on my laptop in the airport. People stare at me. Then they hear what Sam and Max are saying and chuckle quietly to themselves. I'm talking 50 year olds who have no idea what the hell Sam and Max are.

These new voices sound more like Adult Swim fodder to me (read: funny if you have bad taste). I'm positive if I play this game at the airport, I'll just piss people off.

Not that what's important is how popular this game is at the airport. I just don't want to bend over and take it. I want this series to reach its full potential. Hearing "deal with it, it's not that bad" is an excuse for failure. Try harder. Don't give up. It's not impossible to make this game amazing. It has a lot going for it. There's a lot of talented and creative people busting their butts, I know. And I don't want them to settle for anything second rate.

ok, I'm done. feel free to flame up.
  • edited September 2006
    I just hope that, if not in this episode then in the future episodes, the VA's put a bit more energy in. The voices themselves are good, but Max sounds relaxed, and Sam sounds... unenthusiastic. If they could just up the energy a bit, I think they'd nail it.
  • edited September 2006
    Am I the only one who thinks it's obvious that Sam's "lack of enthusiasm" is intentional?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.