Another license that Telltale should consider...

edited February 2008 in General Chat
I was thinking about Telltale awhile ago, thinking how great the Bone and Sam & Max games have been (I'd say CSI if I'd played them :p).

That said, and I have a feeling it would be near impossible to make this deal with Warner Bros, but...

What about a Scooby Doo adventure game? It's wrought with possibilities, especially the kid-friendly and mystery centered style.

Heck, you could even follow a similar format to Sam & Max, control Shaggy and have Scooby wandering around.

I'm surprised that the WB hadn't considered a Scooby adventure game before. It seems like an obvious direction, to me.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    my neighbors kid is on the cartoon network site all the time, they have dozens of flash besed scooby doo games on there (and other shows have games like this too)... some are adventure/puzzle based and actually seem kinda cool
  • edited January 2008
    I was thinking about Telltale awhile ago, thinking how great the Bone and Sam & Max games have been (I'd say CSI if I'd played them :p).

That said, and I have a feeling it would be near impossible to make this deal with Warner Bros, but...

What about a Scooby Doo adventure game? It's wrought with possibilities, especially the kid-friendly and mystery centered style.

Heck, you could even follow a similar format to Sam & Max, control Shaggy and have Scooby wandering around.

I'm surprised that the WB hadn't considered a Scooby adventure game before. It seems like an obvious direction, to me.

They have, the Learning Company made some ancient ones years ago. Besides the new Scooby Doo stuff is crap.
  • edited January 2008
    The great thing is you could keep it true to the cartoons and rehash the same plot every episode!
  • edited January 2008
    I think that the Xombie flash/comic series would make an awesome adventure: http://www.xombified.com/
    comic_groupshot2.gif
  • edited January 2008
    There are a ton of Scooby-Doo adventure games. Like you said, it's an obvious idea. There are several of them on GameTap (I tried playing one, but they're obviously aimed at a reeeeally young audience, and pretty hand-holdy and annoying). On the flip side, I remember a Game Boy Color Scooby Doo game that was a pretty blatant knock-off of the original Maniac Mansion, and a lot more difficult.
  • edited January 2008
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    Besides the new Scooby Doo stuff is crap.
    Well, Telltale could create new stories and set them in the styling of the original Scooby Doo series.

I still love the old series, though I hated almost every sequel, in fact, I hated scrappy doo. I'm willing to say that the one reason I loved the Scooby Doo movie is the fact that they made Scrappy the bad guy. I hated him so much :D
  • edited January 2008
    I don't think Telltale should make a Scooby Doo game. A lot of people wouldn't buy it because Scooby Doo is for little kids. Even if the game isn't for little kids people will still think it is. Also, wouldn't they need to buy the right for it? My main point is that Scooby Doo is for little kids and Telltale shouldn't make it. I'm sorry if I sound a bit to harsh, but I really don't want Telltale to make a Scooby Doo game.
  • edited January 2008
    I don't think Telltale should make a Scooby Doo game. A lot of people wouldn't buy it because Scooby Doo is for little kids. Even if the game isn't for little kids people will still think it is. Also, wouldn't they need to buy the right for it? My main point is that Scooby Doo is for little kids and Telltale shouldn't make it. I'm sorry if I sound a bit to harsh, but I really don't want Telltale to make a Scooby Doo game.

Allow me to quote a certain character from the latest Sam and Max episode. I feel it is relevant here.

"Dude... wait, what?"
  • edited January 2008
    I don't think Telltale should make a Scooby Doo game. A lot of people wouldn't buy it because Scooby Doo is for little kids. Even if the game isn't for little kids people will still think it is.
    Oh yes because children are certainly not a vast market in of themselves to explore. It's not as if there aren't any other games for that demographic. No sirree. :rolleyes:
    Also, wouldn't they need to buy the right for it?
    That's usually how use/transfer of licenses occurr...
    My main point is that Scooby Doo is for little kids and Telltale shouldn't make it. I'm sorry if I sound a bit to harsh, but I really don't want Telltale to make a Scooby Doo game.
    I could understand that this game probably shouldn't be made because it might not be profitable due to the tiredness of milking a very old cow and/or without a strong following for example, but it shouldn't be made because you don't want it? Who made you Caesar?
  • edited January 2008
    this was the most mentally devoid cartoon on at the time and remains top in the markings along with the flintstones and the jetsons... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Only thing in anime that comes close to scooby is lupin the 3rd and those characters are at least witty..

darned american mentality.. at the time the plots for cartoons seemed to not need any structure .. tom n jerry style... same bat time.. same bat channel.. zzzz

I do want to sound harsh in saying I think scooby do is best left to the hippies that died along with its era.

Peace !
  • edited January 2008
    I know it would never happen but I'd like to see a good family guy game (the real one is ok), I mean with all the writers on strike this would be a good way to get my fix.
  • edited January 2008
    I think, if Telltale made a new scooby dooby goom game, it would be lost among the other scooby doo games. Although it would be sure a great and indeed the best scooby doo game ever made, it would not get much significance in game media (if it was an adventure based game)
    and mainly I doubt too that old-school adventure gamers would be so pleased.
  • edited January 2008
    Croutons wrote: »
    Well, Telltale could create new stories and set them in the styling of the original Scooby Doo series.

I still love the old series, though I hated almost every sequel, in fact, I hated scrappy doo. I'm willing to say that the one reason I loved the Scooby Doo movie is the fact that they made Scrappy the bad guy. I hated him so much :D

Yeah but in saying that I hated all the old cartoons too. They weren't funny and were partically the same each episode.
  • edited January 2008
    Velma: "And now let's unmask the criminal and see who the Ghost really is... ... Old Man Bosco?! But why??"
    Bosco: "I'm on the lookout for T.H.E.M!!"
    Velma: "Them?"
    Bosco: *shriek!*
  • edited January 2008
    Sing it, Momma Bosco!
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2008

So, wait... do you or don't you want Telltale to make a Scooby Doo game? try to make your feelings more clear.
  • edited January 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    So, wait... do you or don't you want Telltale to make a Scooby Doo game? try to make your feelings more clear.

Now, don't be so childish, Mark :p:D

--Erwin
  • edited January 2008
    I don't want a game based on some lame cartoon show for 2 year olds.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of Scooby Doo... did anyone ever see the Adult Swim Scooby Doo parody featuring "The famous David Cross" as the celebrity guest ... and the when the villain was unmasked, it turned out to be Jabber Jaw? And it's possible Gary Coleman was in there too... I'm not sure.

Seriously, has anyone seen it? I'm beginning to think I may have been hallucinating!
  • edited January 2008
    I don't want a game based on some lame cartoon show for 2 year olds.

Oh, please. Scooby-doo is clearly aimed at children in the 6-13 range. Plus there are plenty of adults who remember the show fondly from their childhood.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    I'd rather have a new episode of "Snarky Chimp: Railroad Madness"
    Earth Moai wrote:
    "Dude... wait, what?"

Why should Telltale keep doing the same things (3rd party franchises/licenses) over and over again?
    Let them develop their own stuff.
    Further, maybe they should try to do things outside the adventure game alley.
  • MelMel
    edited January 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Plus there are plenty of adults who remember the show fondly from their childhood.

*raises hand*
  • edited January 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Oh, please. Scooby-doo is clearly aimed at children in the 6-13 range. Plus there are plenty of adults who remember the show fondly from their childhood.

6-13 year olds? You sure showed him, lol
  • edited January 2008
    pssst I saw the david cross thing! It was friggen great (seeking clip now!)

apparently one company.. dont know which took all the footage down.. lucky I have the clip I recorded from my dvr but fat chance I can upload it without being taken down n flagged. grrr wonder what gives

"Night Of The Living Doo "

and yep coleman and you forgot good ole luke skyWoka' Ahem sorry mr mark!! lol

yea that wasnt your eyes though.. now the mystery gang should find out why the clips are missing even from the home site.
  • edited January 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Speaking of Scooby Doo... did anyone ever see the Adult Swim Scooby Doo parody featuring "The famous David Cross" as the celebrity guest ... and the when the villain was unmasked, it turned out to be Jabber Jaw? And it's possible Gary Coleman was in there too... I'm not sure.

Seriously, has anyone seen it? I'm beginning to think I may have been hallucinating!

Anything with Gary Coleman in it is pure gold... I must see this.
  • MelMel
    edited January 2008
    Info:

Night of the Living Doo (imdb)

Clip from Milk and Cookies (yup, it's been taken down)
  • edited February 2008
    Has anyone mentioned The Tick? If not I think telltale would rock on this one. It was sad to see the short lived more adult live action tv tick go so soon, I kinda liked it.

Anyway if anyone ever played fatman, id love a tick sorta in the bone and s&m style.. make something happen... ?
  • edited February 2008
    asterix.jpg

'nuff said.
  • edited February 2008
    Earthworm Jim! God Dammit! :D
  • edited February 2008
    Earthworm Jim! God Dammit! :D

That is an action platformer created by Dave Perry that is not like any of the games we make. Earthworm Jim should not be an adventure game, he is pure action.
  • edited February 2008
    How about The Neverhood? :D
  • edited February 2008
    tester scott... thats the kind of attitude that keeps games in boxes and doesnt open em out.. I could see a asterix and obelix advent.. even RPG if someone got cocky enough
    same with earthworm jim... all have great enough characters they could make something like mario rpg happen (if a game like mario can do it.. well...anything can.)
  • edited February 2008
    Kaldire wrote: »
    tester scott... thats the kind of attitude that keeps games in boxes and doesnt open em out.. I could see a asterix and obelix advent.. even RPG if someone got cocky enough
    same with earthworm jim... all have great enough characters they could make something like mario rpg happen (if a game like mario can do it.. well...anything can.)

There is a saying, "Stick with what your good at." While I agree the Earthworm Jim property has enough great characters and well developed world that it could possibly translate well into maybe an RPG I don't think an adventure game, at least ones like we make that don't really rely on any action sequence's, wouldn't do justice to the franchise. So I will have to stand by my initial statement.
  • edited February 2008
    now, that would be a nice challenge: a fast-paced action-oriented point-and-click adventure...sounds nice. make it so, i say. of course i have no idea how this could work..
  • edited February 2008
    I don't know if a superhero or action hero would work well as a point and click game. With that said, I don't know how well a Tick or an Earthworm Jim game would fair out if it was point and click. Both of those properties are more about action than finding crap on the floor and use it later on to solve some dilemina they are in; I would imagine Earthworm Jim blasting a door to pieces rather than using a hairpin to lock pick the lock.

It is like trying to make a point and click game with the Street Fighter or the Major League Baseball license; it doesn't seem to translate well.
  • edited February 2008
    Mario is different because he is more like Sam and Max, whereas he can fit into any genre of games that is thrown at him. Unlike Earthworm Jim, Mario is a fat plumber who doesn't wields a blaster around and doesn't shoot all the time. Also, he has been thrown into some slow paced games before, which worked while Earthworm Jim hasn't. It is hard to fathom a fast paced action hero like Earthworm Jim or the Tick being thrown into a situation that requires a slower pace of action.

Also, Earthworm Jim isn't known for his intelligence and afterall, he carrys a blaster around all the time. I would rather think he would shoot rather than solving a puzzle.

However, if it was an adventure game where Earthworm Jim doesn't have his power suit, that might work.
  • edited February 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    However, if it was an adventure game where Earthworm Jim doesn't have his power suit, that might work.

You realize that without his power suit he is just a worm, right?
  • edited February 2008
    But take away that Batmobile
    That boat, that belt, that butler
    He's just another boring guy
    -- Aquaman's Lament, Mark Aaron James

Hmm.
  • edited February 2008
    You could have Peter Puppy as logical kind of guy trying to solve the puzzles and Jim could be used in action orientated puzzles or you could control Jim and when you get him to solve a puzzle (e.g. putting a key in a door) Jim would react violently or Peter would give him guidance. Actually scratch that idea. I've kinda lost where I was going with this:)
  • edited February 2008
    You realize that without his power suit he is just a worm, right?

Yup. A talking worm who has the ability to comprehend things like a human being.

From what I remember in the cartoon and (double checked on wiki) the powersuit permenantly altered his physical and mental properties after takin refuge into the suit. So, if Jim loses the suit, he won't turn back to an ordinary worm.

This way, he is powerless and at the same time, be able to solve puzzles w/o relying on his power suit.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.