Another license that Telltale should consider...

2»

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Tell Tale should go steal some talents from Double Fine as they are just around the corner from each other.

Then at the same time, those Double Fine double agents and give Tell Tale the secret plan Mr. Tim's working on at this point and make it before Double Fine finds a publisher for it.

That's an easy profit right there.
  • edited February 2008
    Tell Tale should go steal some talents from Double Fine as they are just around the corner from each other.

Then at the same time, those Double Fine double agents and give Tell Tale the secret plan Mr. Tim's working on at this point and make it before Double Fine finds a publisher for it.

That's an easy profit right there.

They are already making "Brutal Legend" which I believe is already pretty far into development. Also it is in a completely different vein than the types of games we make. Wouldn't it be better to have to awesome companies make more awesome games than combine them to make less.
  • edited February 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    From what I remember in the cartoon and (double checked on wiki) the powersuit permenantly altered his physical and mental properties after takin refuge into the suit. So, if Jim loses the suit, he won't turn back to an ordinary worm.

This way, he is powerless and at the same time, be able to solve puzzles w/o relying on his power suit.

Did the suit also give him arms and possibly opposable thumbs. It would be pretty hard to solve most puzzles with what is still essentially just an abdomen.
  • edited February 2008
    I just dont agree here, you have played the earthworm jim on 64 have you not? throw that in a shell and make some puzzles like metriod prime.. blam you have an action platorm advent.. not point n click always but sorta like indigo phrophecy with button combo sequences and fast though and action. Sheesh, what is it you do at telltale? (haha test?)
    Anyway while Id love to agree I just cant.. some of the best games are the games when devs think outside the realm of thought you seemed to have put a road block on.

I again can think of a few hundred(not literal) ways to make tick and earthworm into action adventure.

How about wow ... make up new story, so a dr used a ray on jim and it made him grow X into Y and now he can do X Y Z. New weapons new skin, not the suit in some levels, make him transform or project holograms.. like someone said.. if batman got rid of his gadgets where would he be. testerscott would have been right there telling em not to make batman since it wouldnt be prudent or correct. Idk I cant think like that, I love new ideas and stuff people dont think about or dont want to, even if it flops. Problem with devs is lack of risk taking (course you cant be insane with this or youll go under)

If you ever played the newer asterix and obleix just apply the las vegasum to earthworm.. add a few puzzles and wallah..doesnt seem that vastly hard. It would be like Psychonauts sorta...

Anyway im sure ill get slandered or ridiculed somewhere for being obtuse again.. so let em fly.
    but no way do I agree :P

Funny on the thumbs part though but when has a talking rabbit with a gun made sense?... never? I rest my case... lol your witness
  • edited February 2008
    I agree that innovation in games is needed. Your just suggesting we take some old IP and revamp it. It would make more sense to create new fresh material. Changing a character and world just to make it fit into a new box usually feels contrived and forced. I played Earthworm Jim 64 and while it was okay it had a ton of problems. The thing about the thumbs wasn't that it didn't make sense it was that it wasn't physically possible for him to solve puzzle's in the traditional sense. While I am sure you could come up with a creative use of Peter Puppy or something else which can explain it away but then you get into what I stated earlier about things being forced to fit into areas they shouldn't really be in. Think about a square peg trying to be put into a round hole. With enough force it will go in but will the end product after having to sacrifice all that stuff be worth it.
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Agreed, Telltale should start making its own IPs.

If some old IP pops up, it should be similar in spirit to what Telltale makes (That means no FPS!), but without losing sight on new things.

Ok, getting back to the thread original intention:
    I suggest looking into Rocko's Modern Life
  • edited February 2008
    Oy, Nick and Will! Remember at E For All when I said that Guitar Hero/Rock Band was crap? Here's something that does the same kind of thing, but isn't crap! http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising-for-real-guitar-heroes

Back on topic, why not a game where you work in a library and have to sort books according to their Library of Congress specification numbers? Oh, wait... it exists.
  • edited February 2008
    Did the suit also give him arms and possibly opposable thumbs. It would be pretty hard to solve most puzzles with what is still essentially just an abdomen.

I disagree. He can use his tail as a limb or his mouth as a "hand." I mean, for instance, if he sees a key he picks up, he can use his tail to wrap pick it up and shallow it up. His stomach can be his inventory.

Besides, it is a game that is based off of cartoon physics. Anything could happen. Heck, he could be zapped by some beam that gives him a deformed left arm to pick up things if his mouth and/or tail is convincing enough.
  • edited February 2008
    hehe i just love the tick and asterix as well as earthworm, Id love to see new advances there (if you havent got a copy of las vegasum get it.. its hard to find but its worth it AKA XXL2 box in germany)

I dont know why it wont release here.

As for new IP of course I wish telltale would do that but this thread isnt about that is it? :P

I do however understand testers view on the last comment, but again dont wholly agree, though it was stated better.
  • edited February 2008
    AllenB wrote: »
    Oy, Nick and Will! Remember at E For All when I said that Guitar Hero/Rock Band was crap? Here's something that does the same kind of thing, but isn't crap! http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising-for-real-guitar-heroes

Back on topic, why not a game where you work in a library and have to sort books according to their Library of Congress specification numbers? Oh, wait... it exists.

Bah, now I can't stop playing. Thanks alot.

..E 300......
  • edited February 2008

Oh god! What have I created!

Okay how about this:

Scott and Doom-Saber, you're both right,
    and I love you both equally as much!:p:o;):D
  • edited February 2008
    But I also love arguments! :D

I think an Earthworm Jim adventure game (in the sense of point 'n' click) would be very possible and with all the cartoon humor you guys really could pull it off! Sure, the original games were action/platformer orientated but think of it like this:

If it were to be episodic, then each episode would be similar to an episode of the animated series. For example, Jim and Peter Puppy have been kidnapped by Queen Slug-For-a-Butt and are now hanging over a pit of acid. The situation could be resolved by insulting Peter, who then transforms ripping the rope. They fall into the pit and discover it's actually full of some caffeine based drink due to the queen not being able to afford real acid.

There! How'd ya like them apples! :D
  • edited February 2008
    There! How'd ya like them apples! :D

Applesauce!! Sorry couldn't help myself. Well seeing as I believe most of the Earthworm Jim art, with the exception of the 64 game, was done with sprites why don't you get Adventure Game Studio and mock up a prototype. Since you are not planning on selling and we just want to see what it would look like, and Dave Perry is a pretty cool guy, I am sure you probably won't get sued.
  • edited February 2008
    Applesauce! I...I...I.... Damn! There is no comeback!
    AAAAAAAHHHH! I am DEFEATED!

Though I might have a try at making a mock-up:D
    Thanks for the idea Scott!:D:p:D:p:D

EDIT: Oh by the way, don't you mean Doug Tenapel.
    I'm pretty sure he owns the rights and I always thought they were his characters.
  • edited February 2008
    The game was designed by both Dave Perry who created Shiny Entertainment, the games developer, and Doug TenNapel. So I am not sure who actually owns the rights.
  • edited February 2008
    Doug Tennapel designed the characters, and on one of his blogs he hinted that he gets royalties when the characters are used, but it didn't sound like he had any ownership over them.
  • edited February 2008
    0d_1.jpg

I don't think this is very likely, though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.