Whos Never Going To Be A Millionair(Based on the gameshow in episode 102 of Sam & Max

edited February 2008 in General Chat
I decided to do a "Whos Never Going To Be A Millionair" type of thing. Every Tuesday there will be a new question on this thread. So you have a week to answear. If you lose you get laughed at. You win you get a congragalatory post! (I know its not $1,000,000 or 1,000,000 food stamps) anyway

This weeks question: Why are we here? (AKA:Why do we exsist?)

Good luck

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Some say we're all just dust motes, swirling in an intergalactic soup of protein jelly, simply waiting to settle on the richly-polished ebony boudoir of the hereafter.
  • edited January 2008
    we are just organisms, like any other living beings in the universe... we might exist by mere coincidence, humans are not special, we are ruled by the same standars as any other living beings, we just want to think we are special ^^
    a cool question would be... if the universe was created by the big bang... what was it that exploded? a planet? if so, how did it held itself?, are there other macro planets?, is there a macro universe and we are simply dust in the wind?
    ^^
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    Nah... there is no such thing as a "big bang" (unless you put your ear near a gun being fired), the universe is expanding and contracting since ever.
  • edited January 2008
    Why are we here?
    What's life all about?
    Is God really real?
    Or is there some doubt?
    Well tonight we're going
    To sort it all out
    For tonight is
    The Meaning of Life
  • edited January 2008
    For the lulz, of course.
  • edited January 2008
    It's one of life's great mysteries, isn't it? Why ARE we here? I mean, are we the product of some cosmic coincidence or is there really a God watching everything? You know, with a plan for us and stuff.

I don't know, man. But it keeps me up at night.
  • edited January 2008
    What is the square root of 7,592 to 10 decimal places? No calculators, contestants.
  • edited January 2008
    "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded"

"Someone once asked the great philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle at a party 'Why are you here?' and the answer took three years."

- Terry Pratchett (both quotes)
  • edited January 2008
    LOL none of you are right yet! i'll tell you a scientist's explanation and a religius explanation next tusday
  • edited January 2008
    Did they add a new day of the week when I wasn't looking?
  • edited January 2008

lol no
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    What are you talking about? Can't you see that it's right after Wensday?
  • edited January 2008
    Thought that was Thrsday?
  • edited January 2008
    well the Title says it all there only 2 days left to answear this Question.
  • edited January 2008
    I like the anthropic principle: we are here because that is presupposed in asking the question. Ie we are here because if we weren't, then you wouldn't have asked. Or to put a spin on it that doesn't smell quite as much of sophistry: the Copenhagen interpretation implies that only possible universes that are observed can exist, so therefore any real universe must support observers.
  • edited January 2008
    We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here.

We're here because we're here because we're here, because we're here.
  • edited January 2008
    Harald B wrote: »
    I like the anthropic principle: we are here because that is presupposed in asking the question. Ie we are here because if we weren't, then you wouldn't have asked. Or to put a spin on it that doesn't smell quite as much of sophistry: the Copenhagen interpretation implies that only possible universes that are observed can exist, so therefore any real universe must support observers.
    Oh my that is the 100% correct scietifc thery i was gonna use!! congragulations!
  • edited January 2008
    why not??
  • edited January 2008
    Well one person got the scientific thery right. now the religus thery:
    We are here to serve the lord our God. (religus thery)

Next Question: whats the cercomfrence of a circle mesureing 13 inches?
    Good luck!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Anvilania wrote: »
    server

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why spelling is important. One misspelling and the post takes on an entirely new meaning. (That is not to say that this is the only spelling error, but you catch my drift.)

Also:
    Good luck!
    Are you trying to get us to do your homework for you? If so, shaaammmeee!
  • edited January 2008
    Good luck!

13 inches... in diameter? radius? area?

~40.9", ~81.9", and ~12.8" respectively.
  • edited January 2008
    In metric system?

13 inch is about 33 cm = 0.33m

circumference by radian : c = 2*Pi*0.33m = 2.073451151m
    -||- by diameter : c = Pi*0.33m = 1.036725576m

actually I got a harder math problem.

Consider that you got a parallelogram

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Parallelogram.svg

Parameters:
    the diagonal is 18 inch.
    the extended sides are 5 inch.
    the short sides are 3 inch.

what's the area?
  • edited January 2008
    Buuga wrote: »
    In metric system?

Consider that you have a rhombus.

rhombus.gif

Parameters:
    the diagonal is 18 inch.
    the extended sides is 5 inch.
    the short sides is 3 inch.

what's the high?
    woa didn't see that comeing down the turnpike burning rubber! and no i'm not makeing you do my homework Will so be quiet and i fixed that error! unless your answearing a question. well since someone got it correct i'll say the next question tommarow
  • edited January 2008
    okay.. well i just like math :) and I meant Parallelogram not rhombus, see my edited message for right details if some1 like to solve it :)
  • edited January 2008
    Not sure what a cercomfrence is nor how to go about mesureing it...

But a circle with a 13 inch diameter has a circumference of 13*pi inches, or approximately 40.8407045 inches.

If we're talking a *radius* of 13 inches, then the circumference is 26*pi inches, or approximately 81.68140899 inches.

If we're talking a circumference of 13 inches, then the circumference is... oh wait, you can work that one out yourself.

What's the bet that someone decides to post something with a lot more digits than I could be bothered...
  • edited January 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    Not sure what a cercomfrence is nor how to go about mesureing it...

But a circle with a 13 inch diameter has a circumference of 13*pi inches, or approximately 40.8407045 inches.

If we're talking a *radius* of 13 inches, then the circumference is 26*pi inches, or approximately 81.68140899 inches.

If we're talking a circumference of 13 inches, then the circumference is... oh wait, you can work that one out yourself.

What's the bet that someone decides to post something with a lot more digits than I could be bothered...

I totally beat you to that!
  • edited January 2008
    yes, yes you did.
  • edited January 2008
    Molokov wrote: »

this would be the easiest.. 2 dimensional object comes to 3 dimensional, so it's 13 inches too..
  • edited January 2008
    woa didn't see that comeing down the turnpike burning rubber! and no i'm not makeing you do my homework Will so be quiet and i fixed that error! unless your answearing a question. well since someone got it correct i'll say the next question tommarow

You mean tommarow on tursday right?

Sorry... :p
  • edited January 2008
    In metric system?

Consider that you got a parallelogram

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Parallelogram.svg

Parameters:
    the diagonal is 18 inch.
    the extended sides are 5 inch.
    the short sides are 3 inch.

what's the area?

Your parallelogram is impossible. You can't have a diagonal of 18 in with sides of 3 in and 5 in. This creates a triangle with hypotenuse 18 and sides 3 and 5. The hypotenuse of a triangle must be less than the two sides added together.
  • edited January 2008
    RyanMon wrote: »
    Your parallelogram is impossible. You can't have a diagonal of 18 in with sides of 3 in and 5 in. This creates a triangle with hypotenuse 18 and sides 3 and 5. The hypotenuse of a triangle must be less than the two sides added together.

right answer!... yep, I screwed with parameters,and I didn't come up with good numbers, but concider that you know diagonal and sides, then how to solve the area.
  • edited January 2008
    Well, there are a couple of ways to do it. Probably the easiest way is to find the angle between the sides using the law of cosines, then consider the two sides as vectors and finally, take the cross product of those two vectors.

But, one can also consider the height of the parallelogram and then multiply that by the base. So, say |DC|=5 and |AD|=3. Use the law of cosines again to find the angle at D, whatever it may be. Draw h the height, which forms a right triangle. the angle at D is also the angle we'll be looking at (alternate interior angles), which means sin(D)=h/3, or h=3sin(D). Therefore, the area is 15sin(D). :)

Always in the mood for a math question! :D I have plenty of logic puzzles in case anybody is interested (not the dumb ones like Sally's house is green, but not next to the blue house. Doug's house is not red but is to the right of the yellow house, etc...find whose house is which color and where. Those are just boring).
  • edited January 2008
    RyanMon wrote: »
    Well, there are a couple of ways to do it. Probably the easiest way is to find the angle between the sides using the law of cosines, then consider the two sides as vectors and finally, take the cross product of those two vectors.

nice, I didn't come with that.. I just draw a little triangle next to parallogram, and it has 90 degrees angle. Then there're two triangles.. use the relation between triangles to get the base of the smaller triangle. And then you got highness from Pythagorean theorem... and finally multiple high with the extended side of parallogram, to get the area.
  • edited January 2008
    Good lord, please enough with the math my head is going to explode.
  • edited January 2008
    nice, I didn't come with that.. I just draw a little triangle next to parallogram, and it has 90 degrees angle. Then there're two triangles.. use the relation between triangles to get the base of the smaller triangle. And then you got highness from Pythagorean theorem... and finally multiple high with the extended side of parallogram, to get the area.

ooh, that's an interesting way. I like that method!

Oh, come now. You can never have too much math! :p
  • edited January 2008
    Not true. The two math classes I had to take for my G.E. requirements, I felt, were a personal affront. I remember almost nothing from my classes and I get by fine. I do remember the odd equation which helps out from time to time but thats it.
  • edited January 2008
    which two math classes were they?
  • edited January 2008
    I didn't want to get into Calc or anything so I just took Algebra 2/Trig and Stat. Realistically those classes would have the most usual math in everyday life. For me anyway.
  • edited January 2008
    Ah, okay. Cool. Hey, I agree with you about uses for math in everyday life. I get questions like that all the time from my calc students, why they need to learn that stuff and when are they ever going to use this kind of math in every day life. I always respond with: you don't, but you will use the skills you learn in the class.
  • edited February 2008
    I ment to say tuesday sorry. my brain was dead last time i posted here.
    please no more math my head is going to explode

thats not even physicly possible mabye mentaly possible in dreams and mental images that make wierd things happen in your mind(daydreams). but its not physicly possible.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.