Ash's voice actor?

Who voices Ash in the Poker Night 2 trailer? Lots of people are saying it's not Bruce Campbell, but I can sorta hear him. It's been 22 years since Army of Darkness came out, after all; his voice was liable to change.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Yeah, its not Bruce. It almost sounds like Kid Beyond imitating Bruce.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2013
    As I said elsewhere, I'm not entirely sure it isn't Bruce Campbell.

It's definitely not his current regular speaking voice as heard on Burn Notice. But, since this Ash is supposed to be from Army of Darkness, it's possible that he's either changing his voice himself to sound younger or Telltale digitally changed his pitch to make him sound younger like they did with Claudia Wells in Back to the Future: The Game.
  • edited April 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    As I said elsewhere, I'm not entirely sure it isn't Bruce Campbell.

It's definitely not his current regular speaking voice as heard on Burn Notice. But, since this Ash is supposed to be from Army of Darkness, it's possible that he's either changing his voice himself to sound younger or Telltale digitally changed his pitch to make him sound younger like they did with Claudia Wells in Back to the Future: The Game.

I don't think it's him and I don't understand why they didn't use the original. It's total sacrilege.
  • edited April 2013
    Kainchild wrote: »
    I don't think it's him and I don't understand why they didn't use the original. It's total sacrilege.

Exactly... like the current voices of Sam and Max.
  • edited April 2013
    lattsam wrote: »

You're never gonna give that a rest, are you?
  • edited April 2013
    lattsam wrote: »

dead-horse.gif

As for Ash's voice, maybe they couldn't get Campbell because he'd be too expensive? Or, I dunno, maybe it really is him, it's hard to tell for sure from that one clip. He did voice Ash in all the other video games, didn't he?
  • edited April 2013
    dead-horse.gif

As for Ash's voice, maybe they couldn't get Campbell because he'd be too expensive? Or, I dunno, maybe it really is him, it's hard to tell for sure from that one clip. He did voice Ash in all the other video games, didn't he?

Yes, a long time ago THQ did a trilogy of Evil Dead games, all of them with Bruce Campbell as Ash.

And while Poker Night is a pretty low-key project, that's the kind of stuff Bruce Campbell prefers doing. Doubly so if Ash is involved.
  • edited April 2013
    A friend suggested to me that it could be scheduling problems with Burn Notice. If that's the case, I hope they patch his voice in at a later date when he's got some free time :I
  • edited April 2013
    It may also be why they've not said anything, as they still hope to get him before the game is released. This is one reason why Telltale's method of operating is a good thing as it allows literally last minute additions to a project.
  • edited April 2013
    Bruce Campbell just did a commercial shilling the new Evil Dead movie. If he's got time for that, he's got time for this.
    edited April 2013
    Bruce Campbell just did a commercial shilling the new Evil Dead movie. If he's got time for that, he's got time for this.
    Poker Night 1 was said to have three times the dialog of a Sam & Max episode. That takes a lot of time to record.
  • edited April 2013
    Poker Night 1 was said to have three times the dialog of a Sam & Max episode. That takes a lot of time to record.

Chloroform it is then! There's more than one way to skin a voice actor.
  • edited April 2013
    Just saw on @Groovybruce - definitely not him doing Ash's voice.
  • edited April 2013
    whoever it is, I think they've done a good job from what little I have heard.
  • edited April 2013

Expect it didn't felt like that much. Also, even if this time around there is actually a descent amount of dialogue, it is not like Ash character would say them all.
  • edited April 2013
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Just saw on @Groovybruce - definitely not him doing Ash's voice.

Sad face. Ah well, whoever's doing it sounds pretty good.
  • edited April 2013
    Serec wrote: »
    You're never gonna give that a rest, are you?

That's like asking if GLaDOS is going to stop making you do tests.

You'd have to kill him twice over before it happens.

As for the current topic, whoever they've got doing the voice of Ash is pretty good. If you're not quite comfortable, just do what I did with Marty's VA in the Back to the Future game. Just pretend it's Bruce and he will sound like Bruce.
  • edited April 2013
    If they couldn't get Bruce, they should have scrapped Ash. Sorry to sound harsh, but this is extremely distracting to me, just like with the whole Biff Tannen fiasco.
  • edited April 2013
    No Bruce, no sale. I'll play Regeneration instead.
  • edited April 2013
    Ash would have been a perfect character for this. But if you take a random guy, and tell him "yell 'BOOMSTICK!'" it doesn't turn him into Ash. *I* can yell boomstick. It doesn't mean anything. I am not sure how a fan of Ash could not realize that Bruce is everything as far as the charm of the character goes. If they couldn't or wouldn't get Bruce, they should have gone with another character. When I saw Brock, I was sure I was going to get this. But listening to a random guy yelling "Boomstick," and now I'm not so sure. It's an inexplicable mistake on their part, especially when there are plenty of other characters who could have been chosen and voiced authentically.
  • edited April 2013
    Tycho wasn't voiced authentically, and he worked out OK. :^)
    edited April 2013
    Pak-Man wrote: »
    Tycho wasn't voiced authentically, and he worked out OK. :^)
    Tycho was voiced authentically because he never had a voice actor before Poker Night and the Penny Arcade guys gave their OK on Andrew Chaikin as his voice artist.
  • edited April 2013
    And Chalkin is a better Tycho than Tycho. Just because you're yourself doesn't mean you portray that cinematically.
  • edited April 2013
    Let's reserve judgment on the new Ash until we've heard more than three lines from the guy.
  • No Bruce, no sale. I'll play Regeneration instead.

Here, here. Besides, I love the hilarious death montages of Sam the Deadite Midget.
  • edited April 2013

Yes, if he has time to promote the film he is co-producing out of his own pocket it's completely reasonable to expect him to drop everything to work on a project that's probably on the same monetary level as a convention appearance.

Notice that this game features Army of Darkness Ash -- not Evil Dead Ash. All the money from the AoD licensed stuff goes to MGM, whereas it is a little more widely dispersed when the ED license is invoked.

Which isn't to say that I think Bruce would turn this down purely for mercenary reasons (after all, a rising Ash lifts all boats) but it's easy to see how it wouldn't be top of his "Things to Do" list these days.
  • edited April 2013
    Dinsdale wrote: »
    Yes, if he has time to promote the film he is co-producing out of his own pocket it's completely reasonable to expect him to drop everything to work on a project that's probably on the same monetary level as a convention appearance.

Not totally being serious when saying there was a correlation between him having the time and it being worth his while. I'd like him to voice it anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    Newbie chiming in, here. Whereas it didn't deter me from buying the game, I would indeed have preferred they simply not use the character, and pick another, if Bruce wasn't available at the time to voice it. He's an easy-going actor, certainly no prima donna, and has done plenty of voicework for games, so a scheduling conflict is the only thing I can think of that makes any sense. Wish they'd simply held-off until he could do the lines.
  • edited April 2013
    I was just playing Devil's Playhouse, and I think Sal and Ash might have the same voice actor, based on the trailer.

My guess is Vegas Trip.
  • edited April 2013
    Newbie chiming in, here. Whereas it didn't deter me from buying the game, I would indeed have preferred they simply not use the character, and pick another, if Bruce wasn't available at the time to voice it. He's an easy-going actor, certainly no prima donna, and has done plenty of voicework for games, so a scheduling conflict is the only thing I can think of that makes any sense. Wish they'd simply held-off until he could do the lines.

If it is indeed a scheduling conflict, Telltale might simply redubbed lines with him later on. They redubbed La Chuck's voice with the original actor once Lucasarts persuade him to get out of retirement and if I am not mistaken, they also redubbed a voice in Bone episode 1 with the voice actress from episode 2.

Then again, La Chuck was due to Lucasart doing the Monkey Island 2 HD re-mastered at the same time as TMI and the voice actress for Bone episode 2 was there to redubbed ep 1 while she was dubbing ep 2 if I am not mistaken.

That is if money is the issue for such an "afterthought." If it is, maybe Telltale can start a kickstarter to have Bruce Campbell voice his character for a later patch.
  • edited April 2013
    doom saber wrote: »
    If it is, maybe Telltale can start a kickstarter to have Bruce Campbell voice his character for a later patch.

Somehow, I don't think Telltale is as worked up about a voice actor as we are.
  • edited April 2013
    Judging by his reaction, seems like Bruce has been getting this question a lot lately.
  • edited April 2013
    Well. This blows. Oh, well. I pre-ordered the game and still intend to play it often.
  • edited April 2013
    If they couldn't get Bruce, they should have scrapped Ash. Sorry to sound harsh, but this is extremely distracting to me, just like with the whole Biff Tannen fiasco.

Why? Characters switch voice actors all the time. There is no reason to scrap Ash and it was probably too late to scrap it anyway.

And in the case of Biff Tannen, wasn't that because the original actor didn't want to reprise the role?
  • edited April 2013
    Ash should've been scrapped. It's going to be really distracting.

You have to be really careful with cult characters. There is a large pool of people who don't know who they are, a small pool of people who know and don't care as much. and a fair sized pool of people who know and are protective of that character. So, in the end, you're only looking at a small minority of people that will be happy with it immediately. You're then left writing dialogue for a character playing catch-up and trying to win back your audience.

It can work, but I just don't think Ash is an important enough character to take that risk. My hope for Telltale's sake, is that there WAS some form of agreement with Bruce Campbell that ended up falling through and they had to get someone else.

It's much like JP:TG; they made something that alienated their cult following of traditional adventure game fans. What was done next? TWD. Similar mechanics but everything around it, as well as all the good points from what they were trying to accomplish, were amped up and they ended up winning over a fair chunk of those fans that, yet again, would have been disappointed.

It's just my opinion that fighting from behind is not the best practice, personally.
  • edited April 2013
    Serec wrote: »
    Judging by his reaction, seems like Bruce has been getting this question a lot lately.
    Well, crap. I held out some shred of hope that this could change, especially since the game has been delayed another 3 days or so recently. Although Ash's voice actor still isn't credited on the IMDB page so far, while everyone else is...

These games are literally all about the dialogue and conversations (you can find any basic poker game online), so it stands to reason that you would want to get the actual VA's and do as good a job as possible. Should have really gone with a different character.

It's like if they just used a 'SIRI' generic digitized voice instead of Ellen McLain for GLaDOS, would be a massive distraction, a cop-out and Immersion breaker having to listen to this fraud.
  • edited April 2013
    Don't knock the voicework until you hear it. I do not share the same nostalgia for Evil Dead as some of you do, as I've never seen or heard it - but I've heard others be pleased with what they heard.

It's too bad Bruce couldn't reprise his role for those that were huge fans of it, but I trust in Telltale's voice director and audio mixing to make everything work out fine. Heck, I remember all the fuss people made over Heavy in PN1, and as a longtime TF2 player I thought he was just fine!
  • edited April 2013
    Really? He was voiced by his original actor.
  • edited April 2013
    Really? He was voiced by his original actor.

That's not my point. My point was that there was a lot of fussing with how Heavy spoke even with his original VA before the game came out, but it all worked out fine.
  • edited April 2013
    I have to agree here - somebody other than Bruce Campbell being Ash is just plain weird.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.