Ash's voice actor?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Stoibs wrote: »
    Well, crap. I held out some shred of hope that this could change, especially since the game has been delayed another 3 days or so recently. Although Ash's voice actor still isn't credited on the IMDB page so far, while everyone else is...

That's because everyone else has their established voice actors voicing the character so the person is already known and easily be able to be edited in by the general public. Ash's actor is pretty much unknown to everyone other than Telltale (and maybe some surrounded/connected individuals). And they have not even said or hinted at who is doing it yet. So unless they go in and edit the info in themselves, no one will know until release day.
  • edited April 2013
    Why? Characters switch voice actors all the time. There is no reason to scrap Ash and it was probably too late to scrap it anyway.

And in the case of Biff Tannen, wasn't that because the original actor didn't want to reprise the role?

The thing is, I've always known Ash as Bruce Campbell. He's portrayed the character for so long that to suddenly hear a different voice (even though it may very well not have been TTG's fault) is jarring. Yeah, voices swap, but some impersonations are dead ringers.

Okay, I'll just be honest. I'm grumpy and unhappy. There.
  • edited April 2013
    Johro wrote: »
    Ash should've been scrapped. It's going to be really distracting.

No it shouldn't have and no it won't be. Like i said, characters swap voice actors all the time. There's no reason they should scrap it him and it would be too late to do it anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    Very disappointing decision. Shame.

There is still a way for TT to come out clean providing a Bruce Campbell DLC...
    The sooner you announce it, the better....
  • edited April 2013
    No it shouldn't have and no it won't be. Like i said, characters swap voice actors all the time. There's no reason they should scrap it him and it would be too late to do it anyway.

I dont think you quite understand.

Ash has always been played by Bruce Campbell, in every single appearance where he has a voice, its been Campbell (sans the Musical, for obvious reasons)

A big part of the character is Bruce, and Bruce's voice.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm going to add one last thing to this. Evil Dead has a lot of fans, doesn't it? What's to say that whoever they got to voice for him isn't a fan? Someone who realizes that people would hold them to a very high standard the moment they heard/learned it wasn't Bruce Campbell, but a sound-alike, and has done his absolute best to make sure he could match it best he could between his own talents and Telltale's voice director?

I say let's wait for the game to come out proper to judge, and give the guy a chance.
  • edited April 2013
    SN202 wrote: »
    I dont think you quite understand.

No, i understand just fine. Please, don't be rude

What people need to understand is how difficult it is to get these licenses and that they can't just scrap the character if they can't get a certain voice actor.

Especially since that has never stopped them from just getting another actor/voice actor. Many characters have had different actors portray or voice them.
  • edited April 2013
    Well, at least I can say, "And I thought Poker Night 1's roster was strange." That excitement can never be denied!
  • edited April 2013
    No, i understand just fine. Please, don't be rude

What people need to understand is how difficult it is to get these licenses and that they can't just scrap the character if they can't get a certain voice actor.

Especially since that has never stopped them from just getting another actor/voice actor. Many characters have had different actors portray or voice them.

Usually, those characters never had a true defined voice.

Ash, for 34 years, has been played by ONLY Bruce Campbell, and will continue to play him in AoD2 and (if its made) Evil Dead 7. (disregarding the musical for obvious reasons)

Im not saying to scrap him, im saying that "oh its just a switch stop complaining" is dumb.

Because it is a big deal.
  • edited April 2013
    It's a voice in a $5 poker game. No it isn't. :^)

Would I have loved to hear Michael J. Fox reprise Marty McFly? Sure! Would I have loved to hear Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson reprise Sam and Max? Heck yeah! Did it stop me from enjoying those games? Not even a little bit.

Do I think I can enjoy hearing Ash banter with Brock Samson, EVEN if it's not Bruce as Ash? Yeah. I'll get over it. Am I going to get my $5 out of this purchase? Yes I will.
  • edited April 2013
    Pak-Man wrote: »

Would I have loved to hear Michael J. Fox reprise Marty McFly? Sure! Would I have loved to hear Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson reprise Sam and Max? Heck yeah! Did it stop me from enjoying those games? Not even a little bit.

Do I think I can enjoy hearing Ash banter with Brock Samson, EVEN if it's not Bruce as Ash? Yeah. I'll get over it. Am I going to get my $5 out of this purchase? Yes I will.

They got everyone else's actor to reprise their roles, so its a bit strange.

Also, a $5 dollar poker game thats primary selling point being characters brought together that you'd never think would, and seeing how they'd interact during a game of poker, yeah i'd say the voice is pretty important.
  • edited April 2013
    I should probably rewatch the first two The Evil Dead movies as I found them rather comedic back when I first saw them. I somehow even managed to miss the fact that the main character is the same as in a third movie as I assumed everyone tried in first and second.

I thought third movie just mostly did ride by original two's name because of their success.

Anyway, it is different thing to change voice actor when that character's look is based on the actual actor. So I can see why people dislike that the voice actor is not authentic.
  • edited April 2013
    Because it is a big deal.

It isn't and you can't disregard the musical since it's shows that it's not always Bruce as Ash.
    Pak-Man wrote: »

This guy gets it.

Speaking of Marty McFly, he has had other voice actors besides Michael J. Fox. They guy the got to voice Marty in TellTales's Back to the Future game did a great job.
  • edited April 2013
    Honestly the impersonator sounds close enough for my ears to accept him as Ash. Yeah I watched Army of Darkness and yeah I like Bruce Campbell. But I can accept Ash Williams being played by someone else.

As long as he's funny, I'm okay with it.
  • edited April 2013
    It isn't and you can't disregard the musical since it's shows that it's not always Bruce as Ash.

I can disregard the musical because
    Campbell is still playing Ash (Evil Dead Remake Stinger spoilers)
    and theres no chance Campbell could actually, you know, do a musical

And yes it is important, the whole selling point of the game are the characters, the voices should be important.

This guy gets it.

Speaking of Marty McFly, he has had other voice actors besides Michael J. Fox. They guy the got to voice Marty in TellTales's Back to the Future game did a great job.

And im not saying that he didnt, im saying just disregarding changing the VA as "oh blah its normal just get over it" is dumb.
    If the guy does a good job, thats fine, sure i'd rather have campbell, but i can get used to it if its good (and from what i heard in the launch trailer its not bad, not campbell, but it could be a lot worse)

But just disregarding it as if its not important? Thats stupid.
  • edited April 2013
    Curious how many of these arguments would be made if it were GLaDOS that got a different VA...

I have no knowledge of the Evil Dead franchise, so I don't really care about Bruce Campbell, but I'd be furious if GLaDOS was a different VA.
  • edited April 2013
    Which is why just disregarding something like this as being "oh it happens all the time, get over it" is a dumb thing to do.
  • edited April 2013
    Which is why just disregarding something like this as being "oh it happens all the time, get over it" is a dumb thing to do.

Yeah, it is, isn't it? I can't even count the number of times I've been told that...
  • edited April 2013
    Honestly, I though it would bug me - it did in the trailer - but in the actual game, the voice is so close I don't even notice it anymore.
  • edited April 2013
    Hey guys, maybe they can get Bruce at a later date and update? Just like they did with LeChuck in ToMI and the first episode..?
  • edited April 2013
    Hey guys, maybe they can get Bruce at a later date and update? Just like they did with LeChuck in ToMI and the first episode..?

Bruce has already said via twitter (image cap was linkearlier in this thread) that he's not doing it.
  • edited April 2013

Yeah, that's a great idea! You should update Sam and Max too, while you're at it!
  • edited April 2013
    So who is the person that's actually doing it? That's what I'd like to know.
  • edited April 2013
    Apparently the credits list Danny Webber as his voice actor. Don't take my word for it, because I'm waiting for the PC version.
  • edited April 2013
    As in...Birdemic Danny Webber?

Well, at least they got some B-movie actor to voice Ash.
  • edited April 2013
    ...interesting.
  • edited June 2013
    Tried the demo. I didn't know Ash was going to be in the game until I started playing it. I thought that was pretty cool... Until I realized it wasn't Bruce Campbell. I promptly exited the game and deleted it.

In the opening credits for Army of Darkness it states "Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness". Because Bruce Campbell is Ash! Ash is Bruce Campbell! Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn!
  • edited June 2013
    The voice actor they got playing the character of Ash is very close. I wasn't quite sure if it was Campbell or not until I sat through the credits and didn't see his name.

I understand people being upset over that, but to not play the game because of it seems very silly. It reminds me of the ones who are not going to play Metal Gear Solid 5 because David isn't doing the voice of Snake again. That is just one part of the game. Why deny an entire game over one thing that isn't game breaking?
  • edited June 2013
    I suppose it is silly. Not having Bruce would just drive me more and more crazy whilst playing, though. It's just a poker game and a demo at that. Plenty of other poker games out there, so no skin off my back. If it were full on unique game I might've kept playing.

BTW, can anybody confirm if this game has physical tells? I might be able to overlook the sacrilege if it has tells.
  • edited June 2013
    I know the characters look nervous every now and then. They'll scratch their necks and look away from the table. I guess those are supposed to be tells. Not sure how spot on they are.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2013
    BTW, can anybody confirm if this game has physical tells? I might be able to overlook the sacrilege if it has tells.

Each character has tells, which are more obvious if you buy them drinks.
  • edited June 2013
    It's a really good imitator!
  • edited July 2013
    FlotsamX wrote: »
    Who voices Ash in the Poker Night 2 trailer? Lots of people are saying it's not Bruce Campbell, but I can sorta hear him. It's been 22 years since Army of Darkness came out, after all; his voice was liable to change.

It's not Mr. Campbell, this voice actor has different inflections when speaking, and yes I have an ear for this sort of thing.
  • edited July 2013
    Harrier77 wrote: »
    It's not Mr. Campbell, this voice actor has different inflections when speaking, and yes I have an ear for this sort of thing.

It's pretty close, though. Not holy-crap-this-kid-sounds-just-like-1985-Michael-J-Fox close but pretty close. I stopped noticing it after a couple minutes.

The casting change doesn't bother me as much as Solid Snake and Sam Fisher do.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.