What about a movie mode ?

edited January 2009 in Sam & Max
Hi everybody,

I was playing Sam and Max a few days ago, and after having some episode finished, and realizing all the time I spent on it (clicking on quite every single dialog possibility to get all the mad the game can be full of), I thought i twould be nice to review it, like a movie, without playing, just seeing the entire action and dialogs (not ALL of them, but the funniest of course). This wouldn't be possible until you've just finished the game, as to protect the player from viewing all the game and get the solution so easily (why not, even through debug mode).

I think this is possible, I read some posts about the famous T3 Tool, and I'm sure this would be an interesting way of getting more Sam&Max out of the box with lots of pleasure. And it would make whole films real-timed generated :D

What about this ? Does it have been already discussed somewhere I didn't find ? Or maybe already made ? Or in progress ? What do you think of this ?

Comments

• edited February 2008
    The Season One DVD has all of the cut scenes. I can't remember if it has the dialogs though.
  • edited February 2008
    Well, it won't be only the cut scenes, but the whole game that you could see from the beginning to the end, without playing, just looking at the story just like you played it, but "movie style" (without in-game controls of course)... and why not, the possibility to stop the movie at any moment and get into the game to continue yourself :)
  • edited February 2008
    That would actually require an irritatingly large amount of effort for not a whole lot of gain.
  • edited February 2008
    Hmm, I supposed you just had to "simulate" the user clicks in place of letting the user play... but if you say so :p I wish I could just see an episode like a movie :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    On the DVD we tried to do a movie of the most produced looking and notable/memorable moments from each episode - they ended up being about 10-15 minutes each.
    Mwyann wrote: »
    Hmm, I supposed you just had to "simulate" the user clicks in place of letting the user play... but if you say so :p I wish I could just see an episode like a movie :)

Until your pre-scripted click happens to, for instance, accidentally click on Max who was walking by of his own free will, or fails to click on Bosco because he has paced over to the left side of the counter, and then suddenly it's all off and the rest of your awesome pre-recorded clicks fail to hit their targets and you're screwed. That's just one example! It sounds easier than it is. We've thought about it before :) in the end, video is the easiest solution.
  • edited February 2008
    http://www.samandmaxchristmas.com/

That's about as close as you get, though it's not 100% of Ice Station Santa (some stuff left out and some stuff changed)... also just to give you an idea that took a really long time to put together/edit/tweak. Nick and Justin and Jake (and anyone else who worked on it who I forgot) were at work for like a month straight putting it together.
    edited February 2008
    I didn't really work on that, but hey! I made the logo!
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Until your pre-scripted click happens to, for instance, accidentally click on Max who was walking by of his own free will, or fails to click on Bosco because he has paced over to the left side of the counter, and then suddenly it's all off and the rest of your awesome pre-recorded clicks fail to hit their targets and you're screwed.

I thought you would just have to say "Click on Max" for instance, not "Click over there", telling actions more than just clickpoints. With that, you would not care about the item's position, cameras, and in-game display (inventory, mouse pointer...). Seems that the tool is not designed for that kind of "shortcuts", but I just thought it by playing the game.
    We've thought about it before :)

I thought it too, but I was curious that nobody was talking about it.
    in the end, video is the easiest solution.

OK then :) But if the idea just goes back in your mind, think about it ;)
  • edited February 2008
    mikew wrote: »
    http://www.samandmaxchristmas.com/

That's about as close as you get, though it's not 100% of Ice Station Santa (some stuff left out and some stuff changed)... also just to give you an idea that took a really long time to put together/edit/tweak. Nick and Justin and Jake (and anyone else who worked on it who I forgot) were at work for like a month straight putting it together.

Yes that's the idea, but not turned into a plain video (letting the poor little video cards doing their 3D-jobs). And keeping subtitles too :p (the video don't have any subtitles, and for me, as i'm actually french, it's hard to understand Sam&max, sometimes even with the text... hard to follow).
  • edited February 2008
    I get what you're saying but it would still be lots of work and Scott and Will would also have to test it out which would effectively double their QA time and they might have a Jack Torrance moment
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    The_shining_heres_johnny.jpg
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    mikew wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but it would still be lots of work and Scott and Will would also have to test it out which would effectively double their QA time and they might have a Jack Torrance moment

Yeah, people around here are afraid of me. I'm a mean scary man.
  • edited February 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Yeah, people around here are afraid of me. I'm a mean scary man.

I will vouch for that.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Don't let our bitterness fool you. It is a great idea, and we've done this sort of thing for various projects before. It just takes a lot more work than it initially seems like it would, especially when the computers in the office aren't optimized for video production. :p
  • edited February 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    [...] especially when the computers in the office aren't optimized for video production. :p

You wouldn't have to make the video yourself, but let the user's hardware do it for you. It's not for releasing the videos on DVD for a DVD player, but a real EXE that runs on a computer and plays the movie real-time, jsut like the game does. (Or i misunderstood what you said :p Its 4:20 AM here...)
    edited February 2008
    wooooo!

Really, though, doing it in-game is not amazingly difficult, but it's not a walk in the park. Doing it as video content is much easier and achieves a similar effect. This conversation is getting very cyclical. You keep telling us that something we have already thought about doing and then dismissed because it wasn't easy, is easy, and we keep saying that it's not going to explode the earth, but isn't just scripting something up in an afternoon. I don't think this is going to go anywhere.
  • edited February 2008
    wooooo!

Really, though, doing it in-game is not amazingly difficult, but it's not a walk in the park. Doing it as video content is much easier and achieves a similar effect. This conversation is getting very cyclical. You keep telling us that something we have already thought about doing and then dismissed because it wasn't easy, is easy, and we keep saying that it's not going to explode the earth, but isn't just scripting something up in an afternoon. I don't think this is going to go anywhere.

I thought that was how our forums worked?
    edited February 2008
    :'(
  • edited February 2008
    if this discussion goes on for another while in this fashion we will know the question to the answer 42. but would that happen the whole universe would destroy itself.
    sorry i had just to say something which had nothing to do with the topic i dont know why but now back to topic:
    i think that the idea is nice. but is a complicated thing to do - as already confirmed by Jake and others. another point that some people want to play the game over and over again because it is more fun that way. games are a more interactive media than movies. so i dont really think that there is point to make a movie out of a game. okay except for the occasional movie to the game.

thats an idea: a sam and max animated movie
  • edited February 2008
    I didn't wanted to make you guys think it's easy (thee team know much better what their own tool is capable of). I was just giving an idea away, with my thought about it, just after playing the game and "guessing" how the engine could work. If needed, I answered more precisely, just to check if I was right or wrong. Isn't the purpose of forums to talk? With this forum you even have the chance to talk directly with the staff, a good opportunity to give them ideas. I guessed they already had this movie idea, but I asked to know why we won't hear about it anyway, why it wouldn't be possible. That's all. But, don't worry, I'll not post here until it's done. If it's impossible, that's ok, I understand that too.
    edited March 2008
    Sorry I got feisty! I'll be less of a jerk*: We would love to do a movie mode, it's a great idea that's been kicked around many times at the office. If we ever find ourselves in the position to make it work, you'll be the first to know!

* I didn't mean to come off as a jerk before! Sorry if I did.
  • edited March 2008
    Sorry I got feisty! I'll be less of a jerk*: We would love to do a movie mode, it's a great idea that's been kicked around many times at the office. If we ever find ourselves in the position to make it work, you'll be the first to know!

* I didn't mean to come off as a jerk before! Sorry if I did.

That's OK, I'm surely not used enough to this kind of "jerky" messages, as I could perhaps misunderstand some of the english expressions or stuff. But as I read, I took some posts not very "welcoming", even if they were actually. I'm sorry for that.
    edited March 2008
    Hooray for accidental confrontation due to the language barrier. This is how wars get started!
  • edited March 2008
    Group hug!!!!

:D
  • edited March 2008
    Hooray for accidental confrontation due to the language barrier. This is how wars get started!

Well, let's not start a war here please ;) I don't like it at all :p
  • edited March 2008
    yeah please dont start a war here! if we would start a war max would be quite sorry because he couldnt start it
  • edited March 2008
    Gresman wrote: »
    yeah please dont start a war here! if we would start a war max would be quite sorry because he couldnt start it

And he would nuke us all !
  • edited March 2008
    yeah and we dont want that do we??
  • edited March 2008
    I dare to bring this thread up again, and as I'm watching the audio-commentaries on the S1-DVD right now, I'm really hoping there'd be a way to include a "movie"-version (like "Sam & Max Nearly Save Christmas") for each episode on the S2-DVD. I think it'd be really enjoyable having not just the cutscenes, but some really memorable bits of in-game dialogue to link those, allowing to watch these as more or less complete TV-like-episodes (plus your commentary-tracks of course).

Of course, having the episodes fully played would add up to about 2 or 3 hours each, so that probably wouldn't be possible (unless you make S2 a 2-disc set ;) ). But maybe it's still worth considering it.
    edited March 2008
    Just noticed this post. For what it's worth, we did include some non-cutscene moments on the Season One DVD, though mostly it was cutscenes. The original plan was to just do cutscene reels, but as Nick was going through the games he snuck in some other funny moments, and it greatly improved the videos. It's my hope to do the same thing with Season Two, though if we have time I would be happy to make the clip sessions for each game a little longer than Season One's.
  • FloFlo
    edited March 2008
    Wouldn't people feel less compelled to replay the game if they could just watch the game "play itself" in a movie mode?
  • edited March 2008
    That was the point of this thread, Flo :p
  • FloFlo
    edited March 2008
    That was the point of this thread, Flo :p
    Not really. This thread discussed the technical possibility of a movie mode, not whether having one would be positive for the game.

IMO, a game should be played, not watched ;)
  • edited March 2008
    Question.
    Is hard implement a mode that register in a movie file all what the user see in the S&M window excluding the mouse pointer and the answer choices?
  • edited March 2008
    Flo wrote: »
    Not really. This thread discussed the technical possibility of a movie mode, not whether having one would be positive for the game.

IMO, a game should be played, not watched ;)

I was discussing technically, and it appeared that the idea was already pointed out but, too much work for not that much interest.

And the idea was to see the movie after playing the game, just to see all the action again and remember all the story without clicking again.
  • FloFlo
    edited March 2008
    And the idea was to see the movie after playing the game, just to see all the action again and remember all the story without clicking again.
    I realize that. My point was that if a movie mode was available, less people would feel inclined to replay (as in play a second time) the game.
  • edited March 2008
    ezzetabi wrote: »
    Question.
    Is hard implement a mode that register in a movie file all what the user see in the S&M window excluding the mouse pointer and the answer choices?
    They make programs to do that for you. Try the internet.
  • edited March 2008

That's so going into my signature when I feel less lazy!
    ezzetabi wrote: »
    Question.

You can find on Youtube movies of the game being played through, you might want to find out what those people use, but don't harass them about it because I'm sure that's annoying.
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Try the internet.

What's this Internet people keep talking about?
  • edited March 2008
    I am pretty sure the usual program to register into a movie what happens in the screen will include also the dialogue selections, this was the point of the post.
  • edited March 2008
    I know a few games (Metal Gear Solid, Shadow Hearts, Smash Bros...) that have Movie Modes built in.

Anyone ever bother watching them? No, me neither.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.