What about a movie mode ?

2»

Comments

• OMAOMA
    edited March 2008
    BTW, what was the purpose of that "S&M Nearly Save Christmas" movie? I guess it was to promote Season 2 and Episode 201, but in that case, isn't it a bit too spoilery for people who hasn't played the game?
  • edited March 2008
    Pffft anyone who goes near The Internet is going to get spoiled. I've seen things on this forum I consider spoilers (I say that because everyone else probably doesn't care), accidentally holding my mouse over stuff and such. Generally if you dont want spoilers you shouldn't go near any link or video pertaining to the game. I don't even like to see the trailers.
  • edited March 2008
    Pffft anyone who goes near The Internet is going to get spoiled. I've seen things on this forum I consider spoilers (I say that because everyone else probably doesn't care), accidentally holding my mouse over stuff and such. Generally if you dont want spoilers you shouldn't go near any link or video pertaining to the game. I don't even like to see the trailers.

Before the Harry Potter book came out (the latest one, however I did the same for the previous ones too) I avoided all forums and Harry Potter-releated websites, and when the book was out I didn't go on the computer for the whole two days it took me to read it. Wow! :D
  • edited March 2008
    Before the Harry Potter book came out (the latest one, however I did the same for the previous ones too) I avoided all forums and Harry Potter-releated websites, and when the book was out I didn't go on the computer for the whole two days it took me to read it. Wow! :D

Really? I went straight to wikipedia and threatened to tell my girlfriend who dies in the end :D

Although back when I actually read Harry Potter, yeah it got spoiled because either I scrolled over a thread for too long on the forum I was at and the text popped up or some dumbass badly disguised a spoiler.

Like, WASN'T IT SHOCKING WHEN... YOU KNOW, HAPPENED TO BOB...

YES, IT WAS. THAT THING. I'LL MISS BOB.

And I was all *slap forehead*

I consider anything and everything spoilers though. Sometimes, I even consider blurbs on the back of books and game descriptions spoilery because I didn't want to know at all. That is, if it's something I know will be good either way.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008

HEY! You're the dude we cater our trailers too! congrats! not only do I hate spoilers, I hate spoiling stuff even more. So vote Nick 2008, and I promise you I will deliver trailers that are fun to watch and are spoiler and mafia free
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »
    HEY! You're the dude we cater our trailers too! congrats! not only do I hate spoilers, I hate spoiling stuff even more. So vote Nick 2008, and I promise you I will deliver trailers that are fun to watch and are spoiler and mafia free

Uh, excuse me but I believe the 205 trailer was NOT Mafia free. I demand that you retract this statement immediately.
  • edited January 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Until your pre-scripted click happens to, for instance, accidentally click on Max who was walking by of his own free will, or fails to click on Bosco because he has paced over to the left side of the counter, and then suddenly it's all off and the rest of your awesome pre-recorded clicks fail to hit their targets and you're screwed. That's just one example! It sounds easier than it is. We've thought about it before :) in the end, video is the easiest solution.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I was thinking that it would be fairly easy to have the game play out using scripted sequences - silly me!
    I had assumed your cutscenes were mostly in-engine, so very nice work making it appear seamless! (same goes for the machinima shorts)

Personally, i was interested in this kind of thing because my girlfriend likes the game, but finds playing it to be too slow and watching me play it to be even slower. (i try every option)
    So the ability to run the game on auto would be great for showing it to other people who like the humour but don't want to play the game itself for whatever reason. (basically turning the game into a cartoon)

To answer another comment: I don't think it would detract from the replay value, because part of the point of replaying S&M is to try other dialog options, and I'd assume any run-through version would only choose the "right" question, so there's always a reason to replay to find out what the other answers were.

and regarding "not watching movie mode provided in other games"
    Were those games comedy based?
  • edited January 2009
    They could use that new thing Nintendo patented for a new game (the patent reads The Legend Of....No prizes for whoever guesses what game that is.) where you watch the game pre-recorded, and can choose when to jump in and start playing. Nintendo will probably use this for a more casual game(surprise surprise) but you could make it this mode is only unlockable after a full playthrough.

Also you'll have to change it a lot, as Nintendo have a patent for it.
    I read that story on CVG somewhere.
  • edited January 2009
    I like the idea that the cut scenes transition like a movie well enough that when you complete the game you unlock the whole plot as a single cut scene (by adding bits to cut scenes already used) Almost like if by winning 201 you unlocked the movie "sam and max almost save xmas"
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    And what's wrong with waking up something that's been sleeping for a while? (How long was it between Hit the Road and Season One again?)

And, by the way:
    user452 wrote: »
    I had assumed your cutscenes were mostly in-engine, so very nice work making it appear seamless! (same goes for the machinima shorts)
    The cutscenes DO run in the engine. The machinima shorts were kind of a hybrid, starting in the engine but with some effects and editing afterwards.
  • edited January 2009
    Personally, I watch through the cutscenes on the DVD's for the commentaries. I mean, the idea of "playing through the game automatically" does seem kind of cool in theory, but after watching Sam and Max Nearly Save Christmas, I don't know if it's such a good idea in practice. Video games and movies seem similar, but they're still very different animals. Or at least, that's how it seems to me. In short (well, kind of) I'd rather have more Bay Area Sound commentary than runthroughs included on future releases! There, I cast my vote. This was a vote, right?
  • edited January 2009
    now that this zombie thread is shuffling around again, here are my 2c on the subject: these games would serve as a very solid basis for another Sam & Max TV series. the characterization and the dialogs are excellent, the plot is intriguing, and with a good transition between the formats, a game episode would translate to a real action- (and fun-) packed TV episode (or maybe two TV episodes).

not sure if Telltale wants to branch out in that direction, though...
  • edited January 2009
    now that this zombie thread is shuffling around again, here are my 2c on the subject: these games would serve as a very solid basis for another Sam & Max TV series. the characterization and the dialogs are excellent, the plot is intriguing, and with a good transition between the formats, a game episode would translate to a real action- (and fun-) packed TV episode (or maybe two TV episodes).

not sure if Telltale wants to branch out in that direction, though...

If you dig back far enough, this was brought up in the past. TTG is vaguely interested in a TV series or movie, but iirc they severely lack the funding. Though personally, I think that if TTG promised to make a new TV series provided we raised the money, I think many members on here would find a way to get them however many hundred grand they need...

I'd love to see a new series and have already offered to find a way to raise the $$$ for it, but they kinda never responded...

and I, for one, did like S+M nearly save Xmas, even if it was little more than the cutscenes spliced together with a few inbetweens added.
  • edited January 2009
    I think it's about much more than the funding - making movies is quite a different business, and besides the resource issues, it would split the focus of the company and its management, which can easily backfire.
    Judging from some (OK, many :) ) moments in the series, the necessary talent is there - eg. I often rewatch the fallen Maimtron custscene in Ice Station Santa, I think the way Sam leads us to the conclusion and then as the music cuts in is simply awesome.

As for Sam and Max nearly save Christmas, it was a nice little piece, but I really wouldn't want to judge it as a cartoon.
  • edited January 2009
    As for Sam and Max nearly save Christmas, it was a nice little piece, but I really wouldn't want to judge it as a cartoon.

I would not call it a cartoon, it's a Machinima. Also it's far from the best TTG could do. It was an extra they threw together for the fans. If they'd taken their time they could have made it 10x as good just by rendering the scenes directly in maya instead of through the T3. Not to mention better co-ordinating the music, which seemed to start and stop awkwardly to me...
  • edited January 2009
    that's exactly why I wouldn't want to judge it as a cartoon :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.