Store Idea

Didn't really know where to put this, but here it is anyway.
I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to do something that the Homestar Runner store does and include freebies when the basket goes over a certain price.
For example, if we were to follow HSR's current freebie pricing:
Orders Less Than $35 - Mini Freebie
A badge.
Orders $35 - $74.99 - Big Freebie
A magnet or sticker.
Orders $75 - $99.99 - Jumbo Freebie
Ode to the Stuff in the Sink
Orders $100 or more - Ultimate Freebie
Max hat
Those are obviously just some really quick ideas, but the aim of the freebies would be to get people to buy more stuff than they perhaps would. For example, I was ordering from the HSR store the other day, and my order came to about $95. As I was only $5 away from the ultimate freebie, I put something else in the basket just so I could get it.

I know this probably won't be put into use, but I just thought I'd share it with everyone to get their opinions on it.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    We'd love to do freebies (and have talked about it before), but right now it would be tough due to the way our store is set up (for long, agonizing reasons I'm not going to go into :p). One of these days, we should be able to, though.

And then... I will retire to a tropical island and drink umbrella drinks all day, since my work here will be done. :D
  • edited February 2008
    How about some free "super-saver" shipping. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    How about some free "super-saver" shipping. ;)

What is this, Amazon? :p
  • edited February 2008
    You know, speaking of Amazon.com and slightly off topic, they've recently made it almost disturbingly easy to buy from them.

You add to cart, click on check out, and if you've ever bought anything from them before, it'll automatically preselect your previous choice of shipping destination and payment type. So if you don't move around much and always pay with the same credit card, you can skip practically an entire page worth of information inputted before you place your order, leaving you with this nagging sensation that it should have taken longer.
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    The creepy thing is that maybe in a few months or years, Amazon will probably ship you items they think you may want without your confirmation, take your money and then send you an email telling about "your" shipment.

Nah, they'll probably skip the email.
  • edited February 2008
    Maratanos wrote: »
    You know, speaking of Amazon.com and slightly off topic, they've recently made it almost disturbingly easy to buy from them.

You add to cart, click on check out, and if you've ever bought anything from them before, it'll automatically preselect your previous choice of shipping destination and payment type. So if you don't move around much and always pay with the same credit card, you can skip practically an entire page worth of information inputted before you place your order, leaving you with this nagging sensation that it should have taken longer.

That's been like that for years.
    You can save several different shipping addresses as well as credit cards into your account.
  • edited February 2008
    The one-click buying is even scarier.
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah, I can't say I really like the one-click buying. It may be fine on things such as song downloads, but I don't really like it on physical items. It just seems way too... simple. It doesn't give you any chance to think over your purchase. :\
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I can't say I really like the one-click buying. It may be fine on things such as song downloads, but I don't really like it on physical items. It just seems way too... simple. It doesn't give you any chance to think over your purchase. :\

That's kind of the point, isn't it?
  • edited February 2008
    Maybe a free printerloper with every purchase?

I love the way Homestar's store works. I got a free keychain with my order!
  • edited February 2008
    We're definitely looking into ways to make our store more awesome. Believe me, nobody wants our store to be awesome more than we do :) Bear with us, though... things take time!
  • edited February 2008
    Telltale store - 25% more awesomer (coming soon).
  • edited February 2008
    Please have a 1 day of the year 50% off sale so I can afford all your products :P

Seriously:

Or maybe consider some sort of special discount (say 5-10%) on members who buy 3 or more things on your store website for example

'Red vs Blue' offered a 5% discount during xmas time, maybe you could even have a similar deal for the holiday season. I know you already have a free episode download for a friend when you purchase certain things but whilst it gives other people a chance to play it, it doesn't really benefit myself and my commitment (irregardless I'd still be buying stuff anyway)

P.S I've been a good boy this year
  • edited February 2008
    Hey, they already started giving away Sam and Max 104 for free.... after all us Season 1 subscribers had paid for it (OK, we did get it several months in advance prior to it becoming free).
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    That's kind of the point, isn't it?

I suppose it is.
  • edited February 2008
    backslash wrote: »
    Or maybe consider some sort of special discount (say 5-10%) on members who buy 3 or more things on your store website for example

'Red vs Blue' offered a 5% discount during xmas time, maybe you could even have a similar deal for the holiday season.

Actually, Steam did have 10% off everything just recently, so you could have brought Sam and Max that way. Although you've just missed it.
  • edited February 2008
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Actually, Steam did have 10% off everything just recently, so you could have brought Sam and Max that way. Although you've just missed it.
    I don't like Steam, much prefer everything to come with physical content (like Season 2 when it becomes available)
  • edited March 2008
    I wholeheartedly agree!

PWEASE TELLTALE!

:D
  • edited March 2008
    Greedy greedy gumdrops. Telltale's been generous as it is, and I'm perfectly content to pay them full-price for things.

When I can afford it.
  • edited March 2008
    That's the point: There is so much nice stuff here and I usually buy it even if I can't afford it..
  • edited March 2008
    I saw the word 'irregardless' in the first post, and I couldn't resist making this post, largely out of anger.

Now, I'm a stickler for grammar far more than the next guy (because the next guy probably spends his time saying "roflmao tat wuz g8" on YouTube), but I've noticed lots of people getting worked up over non-issues. Now, using proper spelling and punctuation is one thing, but some people seem to get worked up over 'irregardless' because it's 'not a word.' I'd just like to tell these people to GET OVER THEMSELVES.
    Language EVOLVES OVER TIME. Shakespeare himself invented hundreds of words, are you going to criticize him for 'not using real words?' It's a GOOD thing that people are using new words, it means that the development of human language is really happening.
    Just wanted to say that.
  • edited March 2008
    Without wanting to seem worked up over this, now I'm the one who can't resist making this post. Language evolution is no excuse for blatant wrongness. Yes, errors that are sufficiently commonplace often eventually become correct language use, but they are still errors in the meantime. "Irregardless" irks my language sense, and so long as it continues to do so I'll reject the notion that it has become a 'real word'. To do otherwise renders the whole notion of correctness in language void.
    Also, the Shakespeare conection is more than a bit disingenuous. When poets and other advanced language users introduce new words, they are aware of the fact that they are introducing a new word; taking advantage of the unused potentential inherent in all natural languages and being mindful of the usual connatations and uses of the word's constituent parts. Whereas many people using the word "irregardless" are under the mistaken impression that it is already a correct word. Big difference.
    edited March 2008
    Okay, back on topic...

I'm going to merge the "Dear Tellltale" thread with this one, since it's also about suggestions for the store. Believe it or not, offering %-off discounts is another thing that we want to do and currently can't, but are working on behind the scenes.

At a website I often shop on, they have a sale every April 1 where you can get 50% off the highest priced item in your cart. This is a miniatures site so the things they sell range from really cheap, $1-$2 accessories to really expensive, $800-$1,000 dollhouses. The April 1 sale is cool because it gives people a chance to get that high ticket item they've always wanted more affordably. That said, knowing how many people wait all year to buy a high priced item, I have no idea how these guys can afford to keep doing it every year...
  • jmmjmm
    edited March 2008
    April 1st and 50% off the highest priced item.....
    Is that for real or, you know, something related to April Fools Day.
  • edited March 2008
    Maybe their markups are huge :)
  • edited March 2008
    Harald B wrote: »
    Without wanting to seem worked up over this, now I'm the one who can't resist making this post. Language evolution is no excuse for blatant wrongness. Yes, errors that are sufficiently commonplace often eventually become correct language use, but they are still errors in the meantime. "Irregardless" irks my language sense, and so long as it continues to do so I'll reject the notion that it has become a 'real word'. To do otherwise renders the whole notion of correctness in language void.
    Also, the Shakespeare conection is more than a bit disingenuous. When poets and other advanced language users introduce new words, they are aware of the fact that they are introducing a new word; taking advantage of the unused potentential inherent in all natural languages and being mindful of the usual connatations and uses of the word's constituent parts. Whereas many people using the word "irregardless" are under the mistaken impression that it is already a correct word. Big difference.
    I agree for the most part, my point is just that:
    1. There's nothing wrong with new words being introduced. The Shakespeare thing was just meant to point out this fact.
    and
    2. Who are we to get all worked up when people use a word whose meaning is widely understood, even if the word itself isn't 'real?'
    Also, I'd like to point out that 'people shouldn't use it until it is a 'real' word' is a logically invalid argument because if they don't use it then it can't become a word.
    Can we just drop the subject now?
  • MelMel
    edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Can we just drop the subject now?
    Emily wrote:
    Okay, back on topic...

In case you missed Emily's post.

¬¬

I don't tend to buy huge amounts from a web store at a time, so getting a discount may not come up for me in that situation. That said, I always love a sale. :)
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama: Fair enough, consider it dropped. (Though that last point is intriguing and has me wondering whether and if so how I should counter it... oh, well...)

Mel: To make this post vaguely on-topic I'll just second everything you said. :)
  • MelMel
    edited March 2008
    You can always start another thread (silly rabbits). It's a good discussion, it just stands out like a sore thumb in this thread. :D
  • edited March 2008
    I just thought I'd mention that something like "super-saver shipping" is actually a great incentive to buy a bit more from a webstore. Usually, when I go shopping on Amazon, I may have a single, $20 or less, item in mind, but when I realize I could buy one more item and get free shipping, I do just that. I'll go looking around the store to see what else may interest me. Even if I had no previous intention of getting anything else, I may end up spending an extra $20 on something that I discovered while browsing around the store.
  • edited March 2008
    I just thought I'd mention that something like "super-saver shipping" is actually a great incentive to buy a bit more from a webstore. Usually, when I go shopping on Amazon, I may have a single, $20 or less, item in mind, but when I realize I could buy one more item and get free shipping, I do just that. I'll go looking around the store to see what else may interest me. Even if I had no previous intention of getting anything else, I may end up spending an extra $20 on something that I discovered while browsing around the store.
    It'd have to be free international shipping for me to get worked up about it. I always end up spending way too much money on p&h on Amazon because of that
    TrogLlama wrote:
    I saw the word 'irregardless' in the first post, and I couldn't resist making this post, largely out of anger.
    I think it also depends which country you grew up in, for example in Australia (where I live) the words "G'day" and "mate" are very common even though one isn't really a word and the other has an entirely different meaning. 'Irregardless' is commonly used and I can see no reason why it can't be a word since there's always a word that has the opposite meaning

I've heard that even the word "D'oh" is now in some dictionary (Collins, Oxford or something) thanks to Homer Simpson.

Anyway, I'm getting caught up in this too so I'll leave it at that

Moving back onto the topic:
    Emily wrote:
    Believe it or not, offering %-off discounts is another thing that we want to do and currently can't, but are working on behind the scenes.
    Couldn't you just refund our money in the meantime? :P Good to hear you've already considered the option before
  • jmmjmm
    edited March 2008
    Another option would be using a point based system.
    For instance, for every $10 spent, you get 1 point (or instead of generic points: "Telltale coins").

If you collect enough points you can:
    a) Redeem X points for store items
    b) Convert X points into a Y% discount coupon
    c) Use X points to get a gift coupon
    d) Use X points to use Emily Shipping Service(tm) :D
  • edited March 2008
    backslash wrote: »
    'Irregardless' is commonly used and I can see no reason why it can't be a word since there's always a word that has the opposite meaning.

And no matter how much you guys want to argue over it. Irregardless is a word:

irregardless
    adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless
    sometimes used humorously
  • edited March 2008
    I wanna buy a Telltale mug.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I wanna buy a Telltale mug.

It can be one of those mugs on which an image appears when you add hot liquids.
    edited March 2008
    Guys, stop it with the grammar debate. Please.
    tabacco wrote:
    Maybe their markups are huge

Well, their prices are consistent with (and usually lower than) what you'd get in a store, but I don't know what the wholesale prices are, so maybe so.
  • edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »

Well, their prices are consistent with (and usually lower than) what you'd get in a store, but I don't know what the wholesale prices are, so maybe so.

To end this gramatical debate I shall annoy you, incredibly.
    LMAO ALL OVER THA PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

sorry..:(
  • jmmjmm
    edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »

Give them their own forum and let them go crazy with the grammar and whatnot they love to debate.

Oddly written posts can be moved there afterwards.
  • edited March 2008
    Just noticed in the TT store on the DVD page, it says:
    "(We'll be selling it for $24.99 and it'll also show up in some cost-saving bundles, so check back for that!)"
    Any idea what will be in the bundle, and when they'll be put up? I was planning to order about five things (including the DVD), but I'll hold off if they're in the bundle.
  • edited March 2008
    Cost saving bundles? Does this mean I should cancel my Amazon preorder?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.