Win a showdown with only a high card

Hello, i am on the last bounty of the game, Win a showdown with only a high card, but it's almost impossible to complete, been trying it for 5 hours and no success, any tips ?

Comments

• ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    It's a horribly stupid challenge. I remember playing WoW once and the PVP Battlegrounds had similar achievements, were you had to act like a complete moron and very potentially screw over your team if you want the achie. All-in with an Ace and hope for the best.

Or wait for a moment when it's clear that the opponent has nothing and check away, so not to scare him and make him fold.
  • edited April 2013
    Profanity wrote: »
    It's a horribly stupid challenge. I remember playing WoW once and the PVP Battlegrounds had similar achievements, were you had to act like a complete moron and very potentially screw over your team if you want the achie. All-in with an Ace and hope for the best.

Or wait for a moment when it's clear that the opponent has nothing and check away, so not to scare him and make him fold.

I see, wish the devs didn't put such a terrible challenge inside, and i have the feeling they are leaving it,, wonder if they even check Steam discussion forums which are filled with my same problem, think a guy spent like 10 hours, and yet has to get it :(
  • edited April 2013
    I remember the ONE time I won a high card... in Poker Night 1. Can lightning strike again? We shall see...
  • edited April 2013
    Well I had it once or twice in PNATI 2. Almost impossible on Omaha. Try it on Texas Holdem.
  • edited April 2013
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Well I had it once or twice in PNATI 2. Almost impossible on Omaha. Try it on Texas Holdem.

Been trying till now on Holdem, would it be a bad idea to share the save here, and ask for a bit of help, even if just for that challenge ?
  • edited April 2013
    I would wait until all but one opponent is eliminated, and shove all-in before the flop with ace-anything (as well as some other hands like KQ). Sooner or later your opponent is bound to call, and if he has worse cards and neither of you hit a hand, you win.

This is often just plain good poker strategy, by the way.
  • edited April 2013
    Andreaa wrote: »
    Been trying till now on Holdem, would it be a bad idea to share the save here, and ask for a bit of help, even if just for that challenge ?

The problem is that the challenges are actually random. I never had this one.:(
  • edited April 2013
    furrykef wrote: »
    I would wait until all but one opponent is eliminated, and shove all-in before the flop with ace-anything (as well as some other hands like KQ). Sooner or later your opponent is bound to call, and if he has worse cards and neither of you hit a hand, you win.

This is often just plain good poker strategy, by the way.

Yep, been trying that with 1 other opponent only.

They shouldn't change once it's on a save no ?

In case anyone feel generous and would like to give an hands here the save :x and sorry for beggin, but i can't really get it.
  • edited April 2013
    Normally I would see that I played about 12 hours on a five dollar game and go "Alright, wasn't a bad use of my money I guess." But then I realized... I haven't been having 12 hours of fun. I had like, 5 hours of fun, and 7 hours of throwing tournaments in an attempt to win a showdown with only a high card, and it hasn't been fun, it's been frustrating, and anger-inducing. I don't think I'll ever get that last bounty, I'm about to quit forever.
  • edited April 2013
    Kimouru wrote: »
    Normally I would see that I played about 12 hours on a five dollar game and go "Alright, wasn't a bad use of my money I guess." But then I realized... I haven't been having 12 hours of fun. I had like, 5 hours of fun, and 7 hours of throwing tournaments in an attempt to win a showdown with only a high card, and it hasn't been fun, it's been frustrating, and anger-inducing. I don't think I'll ever get that last bounty, I'm about to quit forever.

A friend of mine had the same feeling, kind of sad to see things like this happen :\
  • edited April 2013
    There is just no way to win a showdown with only a high card. Especially because 3 flops in a row when I had like, an Ace, all had pairs. And then I had the ace of clubs come up two flops in a row. Can you really get all the bounties without having to do this one though?
  • edited April 2013
    There is just no way to win a showdown with only a high card. Especially because 3 flops in a row when I had like, an Ace, all had pairs. And then I had the ace of clubs come up two flops in a row. Can you really get all the bounties without having to do this one though?

No idea, i wonder how Telltale devs came up with that idea :(
  • edited April 2013
    I've won like ten showdowns with high cards in this game. So it's definitely doable... just out of your control.

Look at it this way: at least it's not as bad as the requirement to get a straight flush for an achievement in the first game. I have some ninety hours logged in the first game on Steam and STILL lack that achievement.
  • edited April 2013
    Kyronea wrote: »
    I've won like ten showdowns with high cards in this game. So it's definitely doable... just out of your control.

Look at it this way: at least it's not as bad as the requirement to get a straight flush for an achievement in the first game. I have some ninety hours logged in the first game on Steam and STILL lack that achievement.

Everyone tells me it sounds so easy, but they don't realize that it doesn't mean win a hand with a high kicker. They assume it means that you have to win by like both of you having say a pair of tens and you have the better kicker, when it really means that you have to not get a single pair, straight, flush, anything for an entire hand, often between more than just you and a single AI.
  • edited April 2013
    Everyone tells me it sounds so easy, but they don't realize that it doesn't mean win a hand with a high kicker. They assume it means that you have to win by like both of you having say a pair of tens and you have the better kicker, when it really means that you have to not get a single pair, straight, flush, anything for an entire hand, often between more than just you and a single AI.
    I know what high card is. And that's exactly what I was talking about. I've had it happen to me a number of times. Believe me, I sympathize, because it's definitely out of your control... but it's not impossible by any means.
    edited April 2013

You sure they're random? I've seen a lot of people talk about that high card challenge on their last bounty wheel trio.
  • edited April 2013
    You sure they're random? I've seen a lot of people talk about that high card challenge on their last bounty wheel trio.
    They are. I didn't see that challenge on mine. Mine was "buy everyone a drink at once," "get second or better place in two consecutive tournaments," and "steal a pot on the river."
  • edited April 2013

It's true, it is out of our control but not impossible. Just keep hacking at it:D
  • edited April 2013

They come at different times, but in the end it's safe to assume 90% of times you get that that challenge, a friend got it as his first challenge.
  • edited April 2013
    I've won a number of showdowns with only a high card as well. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that challenge yet. I'm sure once I do, I'll never be able to do it again. :p
  • edited April 2013
    I've won a number of showdowns with only a high card as well. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that challenge yet. I'm sure once I do, I'll never be able to do it again. :p

Not everyone will get that challenge. Speaking of my personal playing experience.
  • edited April 2013

High chance it's going to happen that :x.
    Clord wrote: »
    Not everyone will get that challenge. Speaking of my personal playing experience.

Damn you lol, wish i had your luck.
  • edited April 2013
    They are. I didn't see that challenge on mine. Mine was "buy everyone a drink at once," "get second or better place in two consecutive tournaments," and "steal a pot on the river."

And mine were "Win a Tourney without going below $10,000" "Buy 4 drinks in one Tourney" and "Deploy a Portal Table item."
  • edited April 2013
    I don't think it's fair if some people just don't have to do it. :P I've been working on this one luck-based challenge for 8 hours while someone else got really easy stuff? Just a little annoying.
    Edit: As a side note, if you get this challenge, ignore it until you beat the one for getting a ton of cash. I went from about $500k winnings, to a $100k loss trying to do this, because I'm forced to play every terrible hand I have that has nothing but a high card, which often ends up with me losing everything.
  • edited April 2013
    because I'm forced to play every terrible hand I have that has nothing but a high card, which often ends up with me losing everything.
    Then don't play every terrible hand with nothing but a high card. Play normally. Sooner or later you'll get a strong ace- or king-high hand where you'll want to shove all-in before the flop whether you were pursuing a challenge or not.
  • edited April 2013
    I gotta agree with those who don't like that specific bounty challenge when it comes to that challenge (duh.)

Usually when people are good in some specific thing like Poker, they don't want to have challenge which rubs to their face "you need to play badly to win this challenge."
  • edited April 2013
    Well the thing about the challenge is, you pretty much WANT to fold if you get even a pair. I had a pair in the flop for about 4-5 flops in a row, which instantly negates the bounty challenge. The last 6 hands I've had an ace, there was a pair in the flop. Every time, I counted.
  • edited April 2013
    I don't think it's fair if some people just don't have to do it. :P I've been working on this one luck-based challenge for 8 hours while someone else got really easy stuff? Just a little annoying.

I get your frustration, but it's randomly chosen. It's the definition of fair.
  • edited April 2013
    Isn't that what Two-Face said in The Dark Knight?
  • edited April 2013
    Eh, it could be worse. There could be a "Get a Royal Flush" requirement.
  • edited April 2013
    Well the thing about the challenge is, you pretty much WANT to fold if you get even a pair. I had a pair in the flop for about 4-5 flops in a row, which instantly negates the bounty challenge. The last 6 hands I've had an ace, there was a pair in the flop. Every time, I counted.
    Rather than screwing yourself by constantly folding, just play normally. It will happen sooner or later if you play normally.
  • edited April 2013
    I just got the achievement, and y'all are wrong. You CAN do it with kickers, but you can't do it JUST with kickers. Here's an example: if both of you have an ace-high (me and Clap-Trap), and you beat his ace-high with a king-kicker, then it still counts because your hand technically was an ace-high.
  • edited April 2013
    I just got the achievement, and y'all are wrong. You CAN do it with kickers, but you can't do it JUST with kickers. Here's an example: if both of you have an ace-high (me and Clap-Trap), and you beat his ace-high with a king-kicker, then it still counts because your hand technically was an ace-high.

Well, that is a kicker. What others mention for those who not know that they can't have pair or better when they win to make it count towards that bounty challenge.
  • edited April 2013
    I finally did it, completely random and without having it planned on the hand lol.
  • edited April 2013
    It's actually trivial to win a showdown with a high card in this game, and it happens all the time in professional poker.

Basically, shove preflop with A9 through AK when you get heads up (which is probably what you should be doing anyway. You'll get called and your hand's probably going to hold up.
    edited April 2013
    BrianBoyko wrote: »
    It's actually trivial to win a showdown with a high card in this game, and it happens all the time in professional poker.

Basically, shove preflop with A9 through AK when you get heads up (which is probably what you should be doing anyway. You'll get called and your hand's probably going to hold up.
    The player goes all in!

Big mistake, junior.

Sam has... Three of a kind!
    Ash has... Three of a kind!
    Brock has... A flush!
    Claptrap has... a full house!
    The player has... Ace high!

The player loses his house, his job, his wife and kids and both of his parents get heart attacks simultaneously.

POKER NIGHT 2
  • edited April 2013
    He said "when you get heads-up". If you're against four players, you are not heads-up. ;)
  • edited May 2013
    This challange is basically impossible. I will be willing to pay money to see it removed from the game or awarded automatically whenever it comes up. I am SO FRUSTRATED with this FUCKING BULLSHIT!
  • edited May 2013
    I have no idea what people are talking about. You win -and lose- with a high card several times every tournament. I have won and lost with something as ridiculous as "a seven kicker".
  • edited May 2013
    "a seven kicker" isn't a hand... "ace high, seven kicker" is a hand, but not "a seven kicker".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.