Win a showdown with only a high card

2»

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I doubt this will be fixed. I'm sure it's working entirely how TT intended it to. I mean, without this challenge, this game might only have 4-5 hours of playtime in it. May as well milk it as hard as they can with this brick wall.
  • edited May 2013
    I doubt this will be fixed. I'm sure it's working entirely how TT intended it to. I mean, without this challenge, this game might only have 4-5 hours of playtime in it. May as well milk it as hard as they can with this brick wall.
    I fail to see what Telltale Games would gain from that. It's not as if they get more of your money the more you play the game, so as long as you've bought the game, what does it matter if you only play it for four or five hours, or for twenty or more?

I really don't understand where some people are coming from with these thoughts. You're acting as if Telltale maliciously programmed the game in a way to be jerks and I just cannot see any reason for why they'd actually do that.

I mean, yes, they've made mistakes with how they've programmed this game. But they didn't do it on purpose to screw with us.
  • edited May 2013
    You would basically have to bluff like crazy to pull that off.

I'm not good at that kind of play though, and I got that challenge. I do feel that Texas Hold 'Em will have a higher chance at this though

Another option is if a player has a low amount of cash and you have a high card, there's a high chance that he will go all in regardless of hand. Also, if you are getting low-ish on cash and have a high card, it's another chance to All In
  • edited May 2013

Never got this challenge at all and got beyond the hours you mentioned. How does milking playtime help telltale at all? They got your money at the door, not for every hour.
  • edited May 2013
    Finally got the bounty. That one is tricky. Definitely do Texas Hold 'em if you want to get it
    Awdctn5.jpg
  • edited May 2013
    The game seriously calls that hand an "ace kicker"?

*headdesk*

That is not an ace kicker. That's "ace high". A "kicker" is a tie-breaker card when two players have what is otherwise the same hand. (For instance, a pair of deuces with an ace kicker beats a pair of deuces with a king kicker.) By definition, it is not the primary card in your hand.
  • edited May 2013
    finally won GLADOS' bounty!

this was my final challenge, and I can confirm it's not impossible. took me an hour max to achieve it.

best strategy:

- wait for face cards (J-A) and go all-in if you aren't already in 1st place w/ cash
    - if you happen to win the hand, continue folding until you get a face card and go all-in again
    - if you end up having the most money, the next time you get a face card, raise as much as whatever the 2nd place player has (i.e. if you have $56k and 2nd player has 32k, raise 32k... do not go all-in)

keep folding on every hand that doesnt have a high card. if you have a pair of high cards, fold on that, too. let the other players take each other out. this strategy is much better with fewer people at the table.

if all you're going for is the final bounty, dont worry about being in the hole. if the strategy fails, simply start a new tournament and keep trying.

it's all luck, but this is the best way I got it. hell, I even won a few tournaments using this and not even trying.
  • edited August 2013
    This is a joke. Absolutely terrible. I love TellTale and all their games and I was proud to call myself a TellTale fan, but I really think I'm not going to buy another game from them after the amount of frustration I'm feeling about this right now. I've spent about 6 hours trying to unlock this (or any of the other three final bounty challenges I got randomly rolled). I've focussed mostly on this one (as it's the first in my list) but all three are pretty much just down to luck as far as I'm concerned.

1. Win a showdown with only a highcard
    2. Win a Tournament With a Hand Win Percentage Greater than 25%
    3. Win a tournament without going below 10000 chips

The third one seems possible if I really dedicate some time to it, number two seems utterly ridiculous if I'm a patient player who folds unless I'm confident I can win, but number one is just pure, dumb luck that I've been trying for 6 hours. I wish there was a way to reset the randomly generated challenges, because this really sucks and I'm really angry at TellTale right now. :( :mad:
  • edited August 2013
    The point of playing games is to have fun. If what you're doing isn't fun, stop trying to do that.
  • edited August 2013
    Except that I play TF2 and BL2 and I'd really like the unlocks for those, and also I'm a completionist and that one missing achievement is pissing me off.
  • edited November 2013

I registered an account just to chime in with whole hearted agreement that this bounty challenge is ridiculous. I have Ash cornered in Texas Hold Em with less than 5K in his funds. His tendancy is to go "All In" and bet everything. Despite this and having numerous starting hands with an Ace, I have been unable to complete it. A pair or straight is drawn from the deck for one of us almost always. I've been playing and exiting if the hand doesn't win for three days now. >:-{ I'm going back in for additional misery.

• This is a stupidly difficult challenge, because at this far into the game, A.I 99.9% of the time has better than a high, so it's cruel.

My advice would be to play a tournament normally until it's down to only you and one other player, that way you only have one person to worry about having more than a high.

Once you've got that, wait for a high-worthy hand, i.e Ace or a King, then go all in. Odds are if it's 1v1 then the other player will all in as well, especially if they have more money.

And, of course, it's all down to luck; one of the cruel realities of Poker.

Also, another tip: if you quit the game before it saves the end of a hand, you can give the hand another shot. Some may say it's cheating and...well... it is, but with a challenge this cruel, it's a fair trade-off.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.