Anyone else disappointed in the coverage TellTale has given The Wolf Among Us?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    xyphic wrote: »
    The problem is that TWD would completely overshadow TWAU. If Telltale want to give TWAU the best chance of success, it needs to be shown on its own without TWD there to steal its limelight. So it's understandable that there's no new information at E3, but still disappointing that our hopes of E3 being the big TWAU event have been dashed!

I get that at this point TWD is a bigger buzz creator for the E3 crowd. But since almost all media exposure is a good thing and with both games announced and supposedly ready for release relatively soon I can't really say that this makes perfect sense to me.
  • edited June 2013
    Well this forum is a great example that there is absolutely no buzz on this game & E3 would have been a perfect opportunity to show it off... Wonder what's going on. It seems like an extremely long development cycle, especially for Telltale.
  • edited June 2013
    I mean practically speaking, Telltale did the smart thing by announcing The Walking Dead DLC. That series did bring them new audience and is their best seller. E3 is the biggest video game trade show of the year. The amount of anticipation generated from presentation generally helps the sales of the games.

It would have been better if they could have announced both games. I mean you got the audience all hyped up, why not use it to introduce something new? We see that all the time with big name companies where they have short presentations about two games. I know you pay for the time but seriously, it would have been nice to see two games.

In fact, that would have spread the news about the Wolf Among Us to more people. I don't know the readership of Game Informer and I know the Fables community is spread out. Right now, I am seeing that Telltale missed a chance to get people all excited about Fables. If Telltale does provide more information at the Comic Con, that might help spreading the news but E3 would have been IDEAL to each out for the hardcore gamer.

Either way, Telltale seems more invested in their Walking Dead from a PR standpoint. That suggest they are putting all their eggs in one basket. It doesn't promote much belief of their investment in the Wolf Among Us which is somewhat disheartening to a Fables fan such as myself. Hopefully the final product and sales doesn't reflect my assessment.

Perhaps WB didn't want any announcements of the game to overshadow the new Fables movie announcement. They control the rights of Fables.
  • edited June 2013
    holisk wrote: »
    Perhaps WB didn't want any announcements of the game to overshadow the new Fables movie announcement. They control the rights of Fables.

Is the Fables movie that far along in development? My understanding was that it's still in development hell.
  • edited June 2013
    mosfet wrote: »
    Is the Fables movie that far along in development? My understanding was that it's still in development hell.

Nope just started supposedly.
  • edited July 2013
    I wish Telltale would release a trailer for a Wolf Among Us. Not that many people are aware of it, but I suppose right now Telltale wants to focus on their prize goose which is TWD.
  • edited July 2013
    Comic Con starts on July 18th. Maybe they give us more information then.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2013
    It WOULD be an excellent time and place, that much is certain.
  • edited July 2013
    I feel that with Comic-Con and the fact that 400 days is out, we should definitely hear SOMETHING about The Wolf Among Us. I mean it would be poor practice to overlook another product.
  • edited July 2013
    I do hope so. Im just as excited for this title. I wish we had more info.
  • edited July 2013
    I hope this isn't the full schedule because if it is, looks like we're definitely going to be waiting until PAX to hear about TWAU.
  • edited July 2013
    This is very disappointing, they promised a summer release and we certainly know that there won't be one. What irks me the most is how hush hush the are about it.At least release some screen shots
  • edited July 2013
    We know nothing of the sort. Remember that they announced 400 Days and released it less than a month later. They still have two months to get TWAU out.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2013
    DrChem wrote: »
    This is very disappointing, they promised a summer release and we certainly know that there won't be one.
    I'm sure we'll still get a summer release. Summer in the Northern Hemisphere lasts until the 22nd of September, so there's still plenty of time.
    DrChem wrote: »
    What irks me the most is how hush hush the are about it.At least release some screen shots
    They did release some screenshots (and they look amazing :)). They posted them to their blog here.

And, yes. Those are actual screenshots from the game running in the latest version of Telltale Tool, and not concept art. :eek:
    edited July 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll still get a summer release. Summer in the Northern Hemisphere lasts until the 22nd of September, so there's still plenty of time.

Not so sure there, Jen. They're awfully behind schedule with any kind of presentation of moving material. Then again, the Telltale 'of old' was indeed capable of pulling this kind of release off. Hardly a trailer, hardly a teaser, but "by the way, we'll release episode 1 next week".
    The Game Informer piece is just the start. I'm sure by the time we're coming up on release week the forums will instead be filled with "shut up about The Wolf Among Us already, you're promoting it too much" threads!

400 days is out. There's nothing for Telltale to do right now but TWaU. :o
  • edited July 2013
    400 days is out. There's nothing for Telltale to do right now but TWaU. :o

They could go on about Walking Dead season 2 with its Fall release.
    edited July 2013
    holisk wrote: »
    They could go on about Walking Dead season 2 with its Fall release.

Fall release for Walking Dead Season 2?

...we'll see. :o
  • edited July 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    E3 is less than 3 weeks away now! The Wolf Among Us will be very much the focus for us there, so you can probably expect to see more details and interviews hitting then.

I go back to this ^^^ - I would guess that something has gone awry here - licensing issue; bugs; development schedule etc. but it seems very unusual that it seems to have just disappeared.

E3 for Telltale seemed to be only focused on "The Walking Dead", either "400 Days" or the PS Vita release...
  • edited July 2013
    cmon, they got to talk at comicon at least, besides im going thier full time
  • edited July 2013
    Wyatt#1 wrote: »
    cmon, they got to talk at comicon at least, besides im going thier full time

Well San Diego's day 3 line up just got announced, and Telltale are there with..... A panel on "The Walking Dead" (again).
  • edited July 2013
    Oy... you know guys, you don't need a big conference to make an announcement.
  • edited July 2013
    I'm starting to worry that we might even see TWD S2 before we see anything more about this. I hoped that after the Game Informer article, we'd start to get more details about this title (and it was intimated that once the Game Informer exclusivity expired there'd be more forthcoming).

To be honest, as much as I want to play this title, I don't mind if it's delayed. It'd be nice to get an update or two about where it's at though.
  • edited July 2013
    I had hoped it would be coming out sooner rather than later. Once the Xbox One comes out, I'm obligated to give my Xbox 360 away. They haven't said that the game will also be available for the Xbox One, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to get this game. Even if they announce it tomorrow, chances are the final episode isn't going to be available before November.
  • edited July 2013
    Does it have a release window?
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Last we heard, supposedly late Summer. However, the lack of coverage is kind of weird so who knows.
  • edited July 2013
    im going saturday for that press event and let you guys know
  • edited July 2013
    Last we heard, supposedly late Summer. However, the lack of coverage is kind of weird so who knows.

What if TellTale just ditched the whole project! :eek:
  • edited July 2013

Then a lot of us will have lost a lot more respect for the company.
  • edited July 2013

I doubt it. Telltale already canceled King's Quest. TWAU already has had more coverage (story/game screenshots) than KQ ever had. I'd imagine if it got canceled, it would be for the reason that Telltale will want to get WD season 2 out quicker. I just hope that we get TWAU before/rather than WD season 2.

On the topic of SDCC, the 4 day schedule has been posted, with no events or panels about TWAU. However, there's nothing saying that Telltale can't have a small booth about the game, right?
  • edited July 2013
    I think it would be crazy to release this at the same time TWD : Season 2 is out..so who knows when this will be released.. You wouldn't think it would be any time soon considering the lack of marketing..
  • edited July 2013
    Weeksy wrote: »
    I go back to this ^^^ - I would guess that something has gone awry here - licensing issue; bugs; development schedule etc. but it seems very unusual that it seems to have just disappeared.

E3 for Telltale seemed to be only focused on "The Walking Dead", either "400 Days" or the PS Vita release...

This seems the most likely..bugs..or something wrong with the game that is stopping it from being released..
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2013
    In case anyone is wondering, I moved the King's Quest/Activision discussion to this thread in general chat.

As for the topic at hand, I must admit that I'm disappointed that there weren't any announcements of any Telltale hosted Fables panels at the San Diego Comic Con this year. I really hope that Telltale has significant booth space dedicated to The Wolf Among Us there. It will be really disappointing if it's all just dedicated to The Walking Dead again, especially considering the game's supposed to release soon.

They can make the release date (as I said, there's still quite a bit of time left), but this franchise deserves more than a squeak of publicity. Especially considering that Fables doesn't have the built in fan base that The Walking Dead does.
  • edited July 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    In case anyone is wondering, I moved the King's Quest/Activision discussion to this thread in general chat.

As for the topic at hand, I must admit that I'm disappointed that there weren't any announcements of any Telltale hosted Fables panels at the San Diego Comic Con this year. I really hope that Telltale has significant booth space dedicated to The Wolf Among Us there. It will be really disappointing if it's all just dedicated to The Walking Dead again, especially considering the game's supposed to release soon.

They can make the release date (as I said, there's still quite a bit of time left), but this franchise deserves more than a squeak of publicity. Especially considering that Fables doesn't have the built in fan base that The Walking Dead does.

Fables is a great story. And honestly from the "sample voice over" work from the other thread I'm excited. Whoever is playing Bigby does a good job with the noirish voice. It isn't perfectly how I read him, but close enough that I can really enjoy it. :D
    edited July 2013
    Just like puzzlebox said over there - that's just fan made, nothing official... :o
  • edited July 2013
    At this point, I don't really expect to hear much out of TTG until about week before the release. Frankly, even the Game Informer article is more than I would've expected.

Here's what I find curious though. TTG has said that TWAU will be released this summer. They've also said that TWD Season 2 will be released later this year. For the sake of argument, let's just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that those estimates are relatively accurate. Let's also assume that they're going to follow the traditional Telltale formula (5 episodes released roughly once per month). That would mean that even if Telltale surprises us and releases TWAU by the end of July, it wouldn't wrap up until around November or December. So does that mean that they're planning on running two concurrent episodic adventure games? Have they ever done that before?

I know that I personally will be getting both games either way, so getting them both at the same time suits me just fine. But it does strike me as odd. Don't most publishers try to avoid that sort of "competing with yourself" scenario?

Of course, the other possibility is that one of them will get bumped back to 2014. Which would make me sad...
    edited July 2013
    magodesky wrote: »
    That would mean that even if Telltale surprises us and releases TWAU by the end of July, it wouldn't wrap up until around November or December. So does that mean that they're planning on running two concurrent episodic adventure games? Have they ever done that before?

Simultaneous releases were always Telltale's goal, and they have recently affirmed that they're just about to achieve it. They haven't really done it before (granted, the last episode of Wallace & Gromit released after the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island), and I have my doubts if it's already possible... :o
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Telltale has been saying in multiple interviews that they are almost ready to try multiple releases and the only thing stopping them right now is that they want to make sure Fables is not affected by save problems as Walking Dead season 1 was.
  • edited July 2013
    Interesting. I was not aware of that.

I suppose they could be approaching it similar to the way that comic book publishers try to build up a range of titles. DC doesn't stop publishing Batman just because they've got a Superman title running at the same time after all.

Then again, I usually only follow one or two particularly interesting comics because I can't afford to read them all. And those are only about $3 per issue.
  • edited July 2013
    I'm guessing its going to come out mid-August...
    edited July 2013
    Telltale has been saying in multiple interviews that they are almost ready to try multiple releases and the only thing stopping them right now is that they want to make sure Fables is not affected by save problems as Walking Dead season 1 was.

I would like to have a source for that please. Just one of those 'multiple' would suffice. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.