Two hours? I pray this is a mistake...

edited June 2006 in Sam & Max
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2006/051206_e3_day2_chris_1.x

"Each two-hour episode will see Sam & Max solve a complete case, with an overarching storyline tying the episodes together and culminating in a season finale-like grand finish."

I mean come on, two hours? Are these episodes going to cost $5.00? I just don't understand this.

At least someone tell me they will have puzzles in them to stump players right? Its not going to be a cake-walk ala Bone is it? I'm royally confused as to why these episodes are going to be so short.

The original Sam 'n Max game was short too, but at least it stumped the player with puzzles and figuring out what to do. In fact some of the game could take days to figure out, it depended on the player. Will these episodes include such puzzles?

It almost seems to me that you want to sell an interactive (barely by the sounds of it) cartoon rather than a series of adventure games.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I am not surprised. The FAQ said that the episodes will be "shorter than The Great Cow Race". Considering that Bone 2 lasts 5 hours, I assumed each S&M installment would be half as long (more or less). But they will be published more often than Bone episodes are. In addition, the "season concept" allows players who don't like episodic publishing to buy the whole season when it's over. If the season includes - e.g. - 7 episodes, you'll get a 14 hours adventuring experience: nowadays this is the length of an average adventure game, which often doesn't feature the same amount of animations a Telltale game does and often requires more than a year to get made anyway.
    Diduz (Italy)
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah 2 hours is extremely short. If thats how short they are then i'll probably buy it at the end of the season or something. I really REALLY hope that it's not more of an "interactive cartoon" than an adventure...Thats really why i don't enjoy Bone.I have confidence in TT though that they will be able to deliver...
  • edited May 2006
    In order for these episodes to be truly worth it they are going to have jam pack each episode with puzzles and humour, because even once the 'season' is done I couldn't see myself buying it just to "watch" Sam'n Max rather than play it. :(
  • edited May 2006
    This is my biggest worry, even more so than the voices.

So there's less play time but we wait less for the next one.

The flipside of this is: that also means less development time, a set schedule for Telltale to adhere to, and so the games will be RUSHED. Just look at any film licensed games that come out the same time as the film for an example as to how rushed they can be.

And also, this will totally destroy two of my favourite things about adventure games: solving tricky, difficult puzzles and exploring. How much of either can appear in a 2 hour long game? There wasn't much in The Great Cow Race, and that was 5 hours.
  • edited May 2006
    Depending on the pricing, the short playtime itself doesn't so much concern me, but the effect it may have on opportunities for exploration does somewhat. I'm willing to give Telltale the benefit of the doubt though, and wait for the first couple of episodes before I make any judgements.
  • edited May 2006
    the length doesnt concern me considering we will be getting episodes a lot quicker.. What does concern me as other people have said is the difficulty.. in all my favorite adventure games including sam and max: hit the road.. theres been puzzles thats taken me days even weeks to figure it out.. is it 2 hours of gameplay if you figure out everything within 5 seconds? I do want to be challenged.. I do want to be playing a game..figuring out the puzzles is the greatest thing.. if its very easy and you just play through a story in 2 hours that will be disappointing :(
  • edited May 2006
    2 hours eh? Since they compared it to The Great Cow Race, I'd like to know how the length compares to say Out From Boneville? I REALLY hope these games don't end up pitifully brief and easy... What's the fun of exploring and solving puzzles if it's over in a flash? I don't see myself being able to wait for the whole season and play it at once either, it was bad enough waiting to see where Sam & Max went after the Lucas Arts fiasco.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    The flipside of this is: that also means less development time, a set schedule for Telltale to adhere to, and so the games will be RUSHED. Just look at any film licensed games that come out the same time as the film for an example as to how rushed they can be.

On the other hand, TV shows have been following this sort of schedule since the dawn of television.
  • edited May 2006
    A very, very different beast to videogames, and you know that!

I'm just after one thing: knowledge that the whole series will basically be completed before the first episode hits: that's what TV shows do. The final time between episodes should be pretty much for bug-testing and polishing only.
  • edited May 2006
    Seriously. I wont buy a game that is too easy. Come on, you want to revive the adventure game genre, what do you think made it popular?

The combination of a good story, atmosphere, jokes AND the great feeling that the player achieves when he or she has managed to solve a really really hard puzzle.

The puzzles can't be easier than those in Curse of Monkey Island. If that's the case, I prefer replaying the good ol' Hit the Road.
  • edited May 2006
    Completing the whole series before the first episode would be silly, because (as you can see with Bone) the best thing about the whole episodic idea is that TellTale can get feedback and improve the next episode accordingly.
  • edited May 2006
    Difficult puzzles = a good thing.

Lots of items on the screens and in the background to click on and explore = a good thing.

A large array of humorous responses from Sam and Max as you click on those previously mentioned things = gold.

Lots of goofy dialogue options = rockin'.

My hope is that the Sam and Max episodes will retain these things. This stuff is what made the original Lucasarts adventure games what they are. Every time I played Sam and Max Hit the Road, I'd stumble across something new that I'd never seen before as I used every command action on everything on the screen. (Yes, I played that game a *lot.*)

If the episodes retain these characteristics, I don't really care how long they each are. Difficult puzzles generally add time to the game anyway, making them seem longer than they are... :D
  • edited May 2006
    Completing the whole series before the first episode would be silly, because (as you can see with Bone) the best thing about the whole episodic idea is that TellTale can get feedback and improve the next episode accordingly.

Then how else are they going to get them done to a satisfactory standard? By now, after two Bone games, I would like to think they KNOW about how to make episodic adventure games.

And when I say "completed", I mean "everything in place". So if criticisms do arise, they can use the time between episodes just to correct those problems, rather than make the whole game.

If major criticisms at the heart of the game appear that requires a total restructuring of the game, then Telltale hasn't done their job properly or learned anything. Which I doubt will happen - I think they pretty much know what they're doing now:

Make them tricky, make them have plenty to do for replaying, make them have good exploration value, make the story engrossing, make the characters entertaining, make the voices right for those characters, and most importantly - make it laugh-out-loud funny.

Telltale - print that last paragraph out and hang it on your notice board. Follow it, and we'll be happy.
  • edited May 2006

Lots of items on the screens and in the background to click on and explore = a good thing.

A large array of humorous responses from Sam and Max as you click on those previously mentioned things = gold.

My hope is that the Sam and Max episodes will retain these things. This stuff is what made the original Lucasarts adventure games what they are. Every time I played Sam and Max Hit the Road, I'd stumble across something new that I'd never seen before as I used every command action on everything on the screen. (Yes, I played that game a *lot.*)

If the episodes retain these characteristics, I don't really care how long they each are. Difficult puzzles generally add time to the game anyway, making them seem longer than they are... :D

Bull's eye! ;)
    Diduz (Italy)
  • edited May 2006

I agree with this 100% as well. This and that the games have to be difficult enough.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm just after one thing: knowledge that the whole series will basically be completed before the first episode hits: that's what TV shows do. The final time between episodes should be pretty much for bug-testing and polishing only.

Actually, that's NOT what TV shows do. TV shows generally only have a month, maybe two months, worth of episodes completed when the season starts. The rest of the shows are filmed througout the rest of the season. Only mid-season replacements are sometimes complete before they air, due to their late start date. This actually allows for networks or producers to request changes if the show doesn't perform well right away. (Although usually the networks just cancel the show.)

Keep in mind, folks, we don't KNOW how difficult the game will be yet. Bone isn't Sam & Max, and there's no reason to assume it's going to be exactly the same. And if the first episode proves to be too easy, Telltale will probably see that people aren't happy and make adjustments to future episodes. Which is why the episodic approach might not be a bad thing.
  • edited May 2006
    Keep in mind, folks, we don't KNOW how difficult the game will be yet. Bone isn't Sam & Max, and there's no reason to assume it's going to be exactly the same. And if the first episode proves to be too easy, Telltale will probably see that people aren't happy and make adjustments to future episodes. Which is why the episodic approach might not be a bad thing.

We're just expressing our concern. I'm sure every single person on this board wishes the S&M games to be great and have faith at least until the first episode is released.
    These posts simply mean that we care. :)
  • edited May 2006
    Actually, that's NOT what TV shows do. TV shows generally only have a month, maybe two months, worth of episodes completed when the season starts.

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot you guys are in America where 24-episode seasons are the norm.
  • edited May 2006

awesome post. I'll also add..giving the use like 8 options.."talk/use/pick up/look etc etc" is what i'm really hoping for as well.. that just increases the possibilities of things you have to do.. thus makes it more difficult..but also means you spend more time in the sam and max universe.. if you're only option is to look at that cute picture of max as a kid on the wall..instead of attempting to look/pick up combine with somethin else.. then it limits the fun..and your immersion in the game...
  • edited May 2006
    I also really hope for a return of more possible actions (although look, pick up/manipulate, talk/eat/lick, would be enough to make me explode with joy.) The whole single cursor thing is one of the trends I attribute the devolution of the genre to. At least Bone allows you to both use and look at a lot of hotspots (though this is still not ideal.) The difficulty of the puzzle is less important to me. They should be more challenging than Bone, and we've been told they will be, to give the Sam & Max flavour, but they don't have to be the hardest puzzles in adventure gaming history, as some seem to be arguing... A six on Telltale's difficulty meter would satisfy me. Anything else would be getting dangerously close to artificially inflating the playtime in my view.
  • edited May 2006
    On the other hand, TV shows have been following this sort of schedule since the dawn of television.

You know whats funny....I still have an old manual around where Ken and Roberta Williams explain how television is outdated and they want computer entertainment to take over. They explain how much more involving, interactive and challenging games are much better than an episode of any TV show.

Ironically now we are sending games into the realm of TV and Movies through episodic easy games.

Its just interesting is all...
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    awesome post. I'll also add..giving the use like 8 options.."talk/use/pick up/look etc etc" is what i'm really hoping for as well.. that just increases the possibilities of things you have to do.. thus makes it more difficult..but also means you spend more time in the sam and max universe.. if you're only option is to look at that cute picture of max as a kid on the wall..instead of attempting to look/pick up combine with somethin else.. then it limits the fun..and your immersion in the game...

I'm always interested when people say they want lots of "verb" options, because to me the practical upshot seems to be that you spend a lot of time listening to "That doesn't seem to work," and "I don't want to pick that up," something I personally find enormously frustrating rather than fun. People who feel likewise don't seem to be very vocal, though, and I'm wondering whether there are others out there on our forums....

--Dave Grossman, cranky opinionated game designer
  • edited May 2006
    I would like more verbs please! :) And I would love the possibility to combine items in the inventory... Yes the "That doesn't seem to work" phrases could be irritating but that is a part of the game!
    /
    JK (Sweden)
  • edited May 2006
    A couple of more verbs (look at, use, pick up and talk) would be great. The guys above are right - the fact that you can check out all sorts of things and get goofy comments about something is part of what made the early adventure games such gold.
    Getting the "this doesn't work" reply isn't always such a joy, but it's a necessary evil and doesn't ruin a game by any means. I guess there could be more than one, maybe four or why not even 10 different replies of "this doesn't work" which clearly deliver the message that doing what you just did doesn't lead to anything. If you can nail 10 different, funny lines there that get picked randomly, it wouldn't get nearly as repetitive.

While were at it, now that you're doing episodic games, why not try to include one or two new "unusable" -lines each episode? A small treat, easter egg if you will for everyone to check out every time they start a new case. This way by the time you reach the later episodes, you'll have a bunch of these at your disposal!
    Just an idea.

EDIT:
    I just realised an important point on the topic. I honestly think that when you have a lot of options at your disposal, it greatly increases the feeling of achievement once you figure out what to do and advance a bit further. Yes, it can be irritating at times, but so are strategy games where you have to load a few turns back when you are getting your behind whooped by the AI. It doesn't mean that it's a bad thing - it's called challenge and makes you feel that much better once you actually finish the game! There doesn't have to be dozens of different commands, but there has to be some.

Since you have the hint system in place, one of the early hints could be what command you need to use next to advance. If there are people that actually despise multiple commands, they could check out the next one from there.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm always interested when people say they want lots of "verb" options, because to me the practical upshot seems to be that you spend a lot of time listening to "That doesn't seem to work," and "I don't want to pick that up," something I personally find enormously frustrating rather than fun. People who feel likewise don't seem to be very vocal, though, and I'm wondering whether there are others out there on our forums....

I enjoyed the progressive streamlining of the interface in the LucasArts range. The Hit the Road interface and the CMI "coin" were the pinnacle, I thought. Also Love that right-click to open-door, right-click again to walk through it thing rather than having to manually choose to open door with one command and walk to door in the other.

I like the Bone style context sensitive cursor, but it would be nice to have the option to disable the automated function and have to manually cycle through the options (is that what you ha to do in Hit The Road - it's been a while), which probably isn't a huge amount of coding to implement.

While we're talking about the interface, one thing that would be really good to implement in the TTG range is double click on an exit point for fast exit rather than having to walk to a door / path to be able to go through it.
  • edited May 2006
    Sam 'n Max was basically similar to the sierra method, having multiple icons for "Do/pickup", "look" and "walk".

The problem I have with context sensitive only cursors is the way all contol and difficulty is basically stripped away. They become hunt the pixel for the highlighting cursor unless done extremely well.

However that aside - will these episodes actually require more than just progression? Will I have to solve puzzles and think to get by rather than just easily click my way through?
  • edited May 2006

Yeah, but sometimes you get a gem like "I'm not putting my lips on that." A pool of random "that doesn't work" lines seems like the best solution. I agree with you in the case of the early SCUMM games, but I think the three option, Full Throttle style interface is really the perfect balance. Having this semi-defined set of actions also just makes it seem more gamey (i.e. set of rules, abilities, etc) than like you're just clicking through a movie. I find it feels a lot more natural for it to work this way than every hotspot having a different set of possible actions.
    However that aside - will these episodes actually require more than just progression? Will I have to solve puzzles and think to get by rather than just easily click my way through?
    I think it's already been said that these games will target a different audience to Bone and be more challenging. I also find it rather ridiculous to imply that the Bone games have no puzzles, even if they were intentional designed to be easily solved.
  • edited May 2006

listening to a few phrases a lot is a small price to pay in my opinion... If I have 20 options to solve something..and I finally figure it out..its a more rewarding experience..than only having a few options..or simply moving your cursor over something.. One of my biggest problems with games these days is they never make you stop and think..and have to figure something out.. Having a few options like in hit the road definitely adds to the gaming IMHO
  • edited May 2006
    You could always aim for something like the last two Monkey Island games, which for all their faults managed funny lines for pretty much every combination of verb/items ("Pick up the moon? Are you nuts?"). Has anyone ever tried 'Using' Elaine in EFMI, as opposed to pressing Enter to talk to her? ("I think there was something in our marriage vows about that") Attention to detail, that's the key!
  • edited May 2006
    I like this line in Hit the Road: "This is a complete useless thingumabob."

There should be thousands of object. When looking at them, you should get a funny line, even though they don't have anyting to do with the story. However, when trying to pick them up, you'll get a "I can't pick up that", or "No, Max could never handle it" or whatever.

Seriously, those details would enhance the gameplay so much that they would create the difference between a buy-game and a no-buy-game.

EDIT: I fully agree with THETINGLER, we wrote our posts at the same time.
  • edited May 2006
    ...solving tricky, difficult puzzles and exploring. How much of either can appear in a 2 hour long game?...

I think that the episodic way strips entirely the exploring off, which frightens me, now think it like this:
    You get first episode, and it has few places to go on the map... now if you can play second episode without first episode that actually means that there can't be map or similiar so you can't go to back to places which occurs in the first episode (if it's not exclusively included in the episode)...

Now lets generalize the idea: (12 episodes, took that info out of my black hat)
    It actually means, what I understood, that the whole game is built on 12 different mini games, not good! And you can't visit and do something on the places you have been in episodes before. Making the world way smaller, and exploring of it is left off entirely perhaps.

You can think it this way too: Take Sam & Max 1, take all the places you can visit, separate each place as episode, and once you have finished that episode you can't go back to that place, if it's not included in the following episode. So it makes the game world way smaller. I don't like the idea at all! As i understood this "own" game concept that once you have played the episode then there is nothing to do! You can't go and explore the places you have gathered already since there are no map or similar that sums up the places you have visited and allows you to visit them again.

You can't have situation that you go back to Snuckey's doing something that you haven't done before, since it is not anymore part of the episode! You'll have to wait for next episode to play it further.

Add: Also the puzzles becomes more centralized to places that only occurs in the episode you are at the moment. Reason for this is simple, since the each episode is not built on the episodes before so you can't have puzzle where you find things in the one place and more from another. Certainly you can imitate that method but those are just ugly-hacks. (Like making episodes one mandatory that you pick that small piece of wood from ground)

I opened thread about gameplay affects of episodic content, and one of the devs said that it is multiple games and not one, which eventually lead me to do the conclusion above.
  • edited May 2006
    Now lets generalize the idea: (12 episodes, took that info out of my black hat)
    It actually means, what I understood, that the whole game is built on 12 different mini games, not good! And you can't visit and do something on the places you have been in episodes before. Making the world way smaller, and exploring of it is left off entirely perhaps.

This would be unfortunate yes. There would be a really easy way to go around this though without diminishing the value of earlier episodes, which would happen if you were capable of doing everything you could do in Episode 1 in Episode 2 as well.

Here's the idea:
    If there's say a supermarket as a location in one episode, you could go there in later episodes (without there being *any* reason for you to go there plot-wise), but it would be closed or something similar. Since Telltale would already have all the material for that said location, all they would need to do was to add a 'closed' sign on the door and a couple of comments from Sam & Max - ie. "Oh man, and I was itching for a round of whack-a-mole!"
    Maybe once in a while a location could be destroyed by aliens or bulldozed or whatnot. There's zillions of possibilities!
    I'm sure the size of the game wouldn't dramatically increase with these additions. Hell, you could have a vanilla version of the episodes where these sorts of bonus locations would be absent.
    It's these sorts of small treats, as well as the multiple verbs that will give your games the 90 ratings from the press, I'm sure!
  • edited May 2006
    ...If there's say a supermarket as a location in one episode, you could go there in later episodes (without there being *any* reason for you to go there plot-wise), but it would be closed or something similar...!

Yes but disabling the possibility to go places that were in the earlier episodes means that you can't have puzzle that spreads to the whole gaming area.

It could have been easily done with the possibility that each episode just expands the episodes before. Now let's say that in episode 8 you have puzzle that makes you to go hunt stuff from the most of the places before, that ain't just possible anymore! Making it feel like actually mini-games :(

Add: I'll explain a bit more, you have puzzle in 10th episode that spreads along the places you have been before, that means that 10th episode has to include places from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10 making it like stupidest thing ever to include content that, more than not, is on every player already. So creating episodic content work like as expands is more likely the way it should have been done.
  • edited May 2006
    ...If there's say a supermarket as a location in one episode, you could go there in later episodes (without there being *any* reason for you to go there plot-wise), but it would be closed or something similar...!

Yes but disabling the possibility to go places that were in the earlier episodes means that you can't have puzzle that spreads to the whole gaming area.

It could have been easily done with the possibility that each episode just expands the episodes before. Now let's say that in episode 8 you have puzzle that makes you to go hunt stuff from the most of the places before, that ain't just possible anymore! Making it feel like actually mini-games :(

Add: I'll explain a bit more, you have puzzle in 10th episode that spreads along the places you have been before, that means that 10th episode has to include places from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10 making it like stupidest thing ever to include content that, more than not, is on every player already. So creating episodic content work like as expands is more likely the way it should have been done.

I disagree here. Jake from Telltale said that if certain locations that have been present in earlier episodes tie in to the current episode, they will be re-visitable. The duo's office was given as an example. Nothing is preventing them from reusing previous locations with new puzzles in them - they have confirmed that this is a possibility. What I'm implying is that even the locations where there wouldn't be any puzzles in were visitable in later episodes, but as simple 'bonus' locations. I won't go further into that as I already posted about it above.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    All I meant is that some locations will likely appear in more than one episode.

The fact is, you can start playing Sam & Max at any point in the series' run - you don't need to buy episode 1 first, then episode 2, etc. What that also means is that people who start with, say, episode 3, won't have the locations from episodes 1 and 2 on their hard drive because they didn't buy or download them.

While the idea of the game constantly building upon itself by "plugging in" new locations and events on the timeline as we release new episodes is an appealing one, as far as I know that's not what's going on with this game.

We like the idea that with separate episodes people can jump into the series any time and catch up from there, plus keeping the episodes separate is going to help us in getting the basics done quicker (which means we'll have more time to spend adding all the good little details and one-off moments that make Sam & Max great).
  • edited May 2006
    That I understand. Though the bonus locations thing I talked about back there ^^ wouldn't cause any problems with people "tuning in" after a couple of episodes. For people who've played from the get-go they know what has happened in said bonus location, for newcomers they're just fun places to visit that cause the duo to give a few hilarious comments maybe.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    Interesting comments, all.

Now, ignoring general theory for the moment, let me ask a hypothetical question. Suppose we were talking specifically about a smallish, downloadable episodic-type game instead of something the size of Hit the Road. And suppose that, due to constraints of time, budget, and download size, there was a distinct limit to the number of dialog lines which could be written and recorded. Would it be worth having more choice of actions like pick-up/use/look-at if it meant that the scope of the overall game had to be smaller as a result?

I'm interested in opinions on this point.

--Dave again
  • edited May 2006
    I'm not sure myself. Do one episode one way, and do another episode the other way. I'll let you know then. In the end, I'd prefer the middle ground, and I'd remember that you're the designer and trust that you probably know what you're doing. I'm just a gamer and sometimes tend to want things that contradict themselves.

I know I like to have additional hotspots that don't necessarily have anything to do with finishing the game. But every item on screen doesn't HAVE to have some kind of hilarious comment for each action. Especially if it means that an episode would be reduced to only having 3 or 4 screens/locations. I'm exaggerating, of course. But maybe not.

I like that the games are episodic with a quick turnaround, so you can try something new and make a wrong choice (if that's what they turn out to be) and either make fixes or do something different next time.
  • edited May 2006
    Interesting comments, all.

Now, ignoring general theory for the moment, let me ask a hypothetical question. Suppose we were talking specifically about a smallish, downloadable episodic-type game instead of something the size of Hit the Road. And suppose that, due to constraints of time, budget, and download size, there was a distinct limit to the number of dialog lines which could be written and recorded. Would it be worth having more choice of actions like pick-up/use/look-at if it meant that the scope of the overall game had to be smaller as a result?

I'm interested in opinions on this point.

--Dave again

Gosh. That's hard, you know?
    I suppose you should aim at a balance between scope and choice of actions. But I'm not helping. Hmmm...let me see..
    Okay, I'll go with a practical exemple: I've liked the balance I saw in The Great Cow Race, SO...if a S&M episode will be shorter that that, I'd like an amount of gratuitous interactions slightly more consistent than the one I enjoyed in TGCR. But then again, I think the continuous interaction between Sam and Max will naturally lead to increasing this kind of banter.
    Dom (Italy)
  • edited May 2006
    Would it be worth having more choice of actions like pick-up/use/look-at if it meant that the scope of the overall game had to be smaller as a result?

Now what? More actions? How can one assume more actions against smaller game? First of all, I'm having hard time to think about which actions is missing. You can do almost anything with those, like use person to person means talk. Use object to ground means drop (which usually is useless anyway). Use Max to water and to electric fusebox means fun.

So how can one compare false to smaller world.

But in general, do you mean what are you ready to create which leads to smaller game? Better plot.. don't know yet.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.