Well, it's already ruined.

Take a close look at this screenshot from the new game:

sbcg4ap_techno.jpg

Now, look at this screenshot from the Strong Bad Email techno, which introduced that light switch.

sbemail45.PNG

Clearly, Telltale has overlooked the very important fact that Strong Bad's carpet is inexplicably but clearly missing from that chunk of the room.

What else did you ignore? :mad:

:p

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Wow. I had to double check, but the room is actually only half carpeted. Makes you wonder why.

Maybe that's some back-story that could be explained in an email or in the game itself? :)

-Kato
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    It was only half carpeted in the prototype builds a few months ago, but eventually got the full carpet treatment. Who knows?!
  • edited April 2008
    They joke about it in the DVD commentary for that email, because it is just a nonsensical inconsistency. Here's a fan's photoshopped take on the room:

800px-ComputerRoomFull.PNG

Did you guys forget about the window too? I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just out of frame... for now. :p
  • MelMel
    edited April 2008
    They wanted to switch from the large area rug to wall to wall. Maybe their feet were getting cold or maybe they just wanted to redecorate? :)
  • edited April 2008
    Oh God. Are Strongbad nerds even more nitpicky than Sam & Max nerds?

• MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, thats odd. We did have it half carpeted originally... We made some last minutes adjustments for the trailer... probably just got overlooked. Nothing is ever truly final art until the game is actually released!
    edited April 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Did you guys forget about the window too? I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just out of frame... for now. :p

If you tried to take all the refrences of that room and actually make a real room of it, it would look like an Escher interpretation of a Picasso painting
  • edited April 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »

You have no idea... the Homestar wiki is the prime example. :p
  • edited April 2008
    Good luck capturing the Cheat's unique physiology, by the way. I have difficulty imagining a 3D version of the Cheat that fans won't complain about.
  • edited April 2008

Yeah, the devoted fans are pretty bad. Here's an example of a Goof someone found in the most recent cartoon from HRwiki.

"When Strong Bad is listing RRR-rated movies and the Axe-Gun: Legends of the Brain-Outener poster appears, the sound of Strong Bad typing suddenly stops, but when it disappears off-screen, the words Strong Bad was saying are on the Lappy's screen."
  • edited April 2008
    Do the people working on the game know about and consult the Homestar Runner Wiki? If not, this is only the start of the discrepancies that will undoubtedly pop up everywhere and enrage the fans so much that they'll have to start upping security in the Telltale offices.
    edited April 2008
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    Do the people working on the game know about and consult the Homestar Runner Wiki? If not, this is only the start of the discrepancies that will undoubtedly pop up everywhere and enrage the fans so much that they'll have to start upping security in the Telltale offices.

We do indeed know about and consult the H*R Wiki regularly. We also understand that there is no way possible to please everyone and some people are just gonna pick at every little thing! Even the Chaps admit that they cant keep up with every detail that people follow on that thing!
  • edited April 2008
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    The Brother Chaps say that they even use the Hrwiki to remember things. So I'm sure that they told Telltale to check time to time.

Hrwiki is the best wiki ever, if only the other wikis were so detailed. I mean where else can you find full detail information on what Floppy Disks Strong Bad has???

Floppy_secret_identity.png
  • edited April 2008
    What toon is that from?
  • edited April 2008
    Edit: Crap, didn't see the staff member post. Damn your punctuality!

Another Edit:
    xChri5x wrote: »
    What toon is that from?

That would be Strong Bad Email #142, secret identity.
  • edited April 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    We do indeed know about and consult the H*R Wiki regularly. We also understand that there is no way possible to please everyone and some people are just gonna pick at every little thing! Even the Chaps admit that they cant keep up with every detail that people follow on that thing!

The episodic nature of the series would make it possible to provide in-universe explanations for continuity and other errors discovered in previous episodes by fans - although, of course, it'd be best to do so in an entertaining way. Like, for example:

STRONG BAD: Didn't that carpet used to extend only halfway across the room?
    STRONG SAD: I think it might be growing. I don't think it's been cleaned since the early 80's.
    STRONG BAD: Oh well. The tried and tested kill-it-with-fire method can wait for another day.

Of course, you don't even need to explain the errors. Just acknowledging them in-universe is probably enough (an example would be the first line of the example above without the other two lines). This method implies that there is an explanation without ever actually giving it.
  • edited April 2008

Oh Crap! I'm BOTH!!
  • edited April 2008

At least they're better than Simpsons nerds.
  • edited April 2008
    At least this isn't a well-established comic book universe. Then the nerds would really be raving.
  • edited April 2008
    Or a 3D Sonic game! Damn, are Sonic fans ever happy? :p
  • edited April 2008
    Teeth wrote: »
    Or a 3D Sonic game! Damn, are Sonic fans ever happy? :p
    I'm not as bad as some of them, but did you PLAY the 360 game? Ugh.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not as bad as some of them, but did you PLAY the 360 game? Ugh.
    Or Shadow. I mean, I guess it's an okay game, but it's the antithesis of everything a Sonic game is meant to be.
  • edited April 2008

As a HRWiki-type person, I'll be picking apart the game to find all the hidden Easter eggs and things to do, not to find inconsistencies, etc. Everybody's really thrilled that this game is being made and is going love whatever it turns out to be! The group of people who look for and point out goofs and inconsistencies is a small but vocal minority :D
  • edited April 2008
    I've noticed that contrary to the layout of the game, wherein the Computer Room is over the Kitchen and the Kitchen is over the Den, in the flash cartoon of panel 2 of this April Fools joke, the computer room is directly over the den.

I guess we shouldn't take said cartoon as canon, considering that the layout of the house wasn't really fleshed out until this game.
  • edited April 2008
    April fools jokes probably aren't canon anyway. And like Mark said, that house has cubist qualities.

For the record, I think it's much better to have the whole room carpeted, because it's not actually half-carpeted, just sometimes carpeted and sometimes not. If they made it so the carpet disappears when viewed from certain camera angles, that'd be the most accurate, but I think that joke would be lost on most people :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    I think the goal is to be as true to canon as possible, and deviate only when it totally breaks things (in a bad way) or just looks unusably poor (in a bad way)..... or when we or the Chapmans want to do something different for a few minutes. Just like the cartoon, really :) The HRWiki has enabled the team to find some classic and weird stuff that probably wouldn't have made it in if people could only find things by repeatedly diving through the ~200 cartoons/emails/shorts/games on the site. It's cool :)
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    I think the goal is to be as true to canon as possible, and deviate only when it totally breaks things (in a bad way) or just looks unusably poor (in a bad way)..... or when we or the Chapmans want to do something different for a few minutes. Just like the cartoon, really :) The HRWiki has enabled the team to find some classic and weird stuff that probably wouldn't have made it in if people could only find things by repeatedly diving through the ~200 cartoons/emails/shorts/games on the site. It's cool :)

I just want to say that I understand how difficult it is to make something with the consistency of Rock & Roll out of something whose canon is about as chaotic as Bebop Jazz.
  • edited April 2008
    strongsad: Have you ever noticed the minor discrepencies all over the place?
    strongbad:... SHUT UP!
  • edited April 2008

Uhh.. how do you know that window isn't on the OTHER SIDE of the room.
  • edited April 2008
    In terms of comedy, being canonical is overrated.
  • edited April 2008
    i don't even know what canowhatever means..but i got along without it pretty good so far..:D
    Jake wrote: »
    I think the goal is to be as true to canon as possible, and deviate only when it totally breaks things (in a bad way) or just looks unusably poor (in a bad way).....
    i totally hope it will look unusuably poor (in a good way)...that would be so awesome..i guess.
  • edited April 2008
    And like Mark said, that house has cubist qualities.

Note: Hey guys, I'm back...

I was wondering about that. I would also like to point out how it might be kind of hard to make Homestar Runner. If you haven't noticed yet, his eyes are always on the side of his head.

Which side?
    The side you are looking at.

This proved to be a bit of a problem with the hand puppet too, if I'm correct, where they had to switch the side the eyes were on using Velcro. I'm sure they figured something out... Heck, a lot of the characters are like that.
  • edited April 2008
    if you check out the trailer, you see how it's done...or maybe not how it's done, but how it looks. i found nothing to complain about regarding the eyes..
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, Homstar is definately a challenge because he really only looks correct from a few angles, mostly because his eyes. If you ever see Homestar head on, it looks really creepy! Same with The Cheat and a few other characters. We are using some new tech to ensure that the tricky characters are always seen from their ideal angles! We're lucky that Strong Bad didnt really have any of these issues, since he's the main character of the game. That could have turned out really frustrating for everyone!
  • edited April 2008
    Robotguy4 wrote: »
    If you haven't noticed yet, his eyes are always on the side of his head.

Which side?

Whoa, I've seriously never noticed that before!

...Whoa! :eek:
  • edited April 2008
    Hmmm.... I was checking out the menu screen from the first Strong Bad Dvd *available now in the Telltale store*. You can see that same corner of the room fully carpeted. Mysteries abound! Someone e-mail S.B. about this ASAP
  • edited April 2008
    Robotguy4 wrote: »

Note: Hey guys, I'm back...

I was wondering about that. I would also like to point out how it might be kind of hard to make Homestar Runner. If you haven't noticed yet, his eyes are always on the side of his head.

Which side?

This proved to be a bit of a problem with the hand puppet too, if I'm correct, where they had to switch the side the eyes were on using Velcro. I'm sure they figured something out... Heck, a lot of the characters are like that.

I always just assumed that his eyes are in the right place, and he's just standing at a weird isometric angle - look at where they are compared to his star - it just makes sense.

I also came up with a weird way for the Cheat to make sense without his body "mirroring". It involved his head being a weird bowl shape with the eyes at the front and the tuft of hair at the back. It just made sense.
  • edited April 2008
    OH NO! WHAT A TRAGEDY! Please, quit ya kvetchin!
  • edited May 2008
    Yeah, thats odd. We did have it half carpeted originally... We made some last minutes adjustments for the trailer... probably just got overlooked. Nothing is ever truly final art until the game is actually released!

ehhh ok?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    ehhh ok?

:confused:

Mark's lead designer on this project. He knows what he's talking about. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.