Peter Sallis

edited November 2008 in Wallace & Gromit
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't imagine Wallace speaking with any other voice apart from that of Peter Sallis - but I would imagine that the recording required for these episodes will be more than for every other Wallace appearance combined, plus Mr. Sallis is now 87 years of age... So are Telltale aiming to or hopeful of getting his vocal talents in the games?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    The guy who voices Wallace is 87? :S Better get a move on
  • edited July 2008
    The press release mentions that Peter Sallis is the voice of Wallace. Whether they meant just in the movies or also in the games is rather vague, but it seems a bit odd to randomly mention it otherwise.
  • edited July 2008
    neilka wrote: »
    plus Mr. Sallis is now 87 years of age...

And still going strong. He's been appearing in Last of The Summer Wine for over 30 years.

I reckon it will be Sallis voicing Wallace, I can't see it being any other way.
  • edited July 2008
    Did he do the voice work in the other two Wallace & Gromit games?

Edit: Sounds like he did in this clip from Project Zoo
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PQxQ_PG6Hs4
  • edited July 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Did he do the voice work in the other two Wallace & Gromit games?

Edit: Sounds like he did in this clip from Project Zoo
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PQxQ_PG6Hs4

I believe unless it's fanmade, Peter Sallis voices Wallace.
  • edited July 2008
    Are we going to have Peter Sallis as the voice of Wallace (he was the voice of Wallace in the 3 30min shorts and in the movie), or someone else will get to voice him? I am asking this cause telltale's sam and max games don't have the same voice actors as the 1st video game or the tv show (although i preffer the telltale voice actors) and i can't imagine wallace with a different voice...
  • edited July 2008
    You can read us idly speculating about it over here, but really, nobody knows yet. Telltale's releasing the teaser on Monday, and maybe we'll know then.
  • edited July 2008
    ok thanks
  • edited July 2008
    The article linked in the blog post mentions that he will reprise the role.... so.... uh..... yeah!:)
  • edited July 2008
    The article linked in the blog post mentions that he will reprise the role.... so.... uh..... yeah!:)

No, it's tricky wording. It says that the franchise of Wallace and Gromit stars a character named Wallace voiced by Peter Sallis. I don't want to get my hopes up over interpritation. Should these threads be merged?
  • edited July 2008
    I'd say it is Peter Sallis. The only reason Telltale couldn't get the original voice actors for Sam & Max (I'm guessing) is because they probably have a contract with LucasArts where as TT is working with Aardman on this project.

Those of you worried that "Pete" is getting too old, he'll be starring in the next 30min movie.
  • edited July 2008
    Uh, I'm sure that Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson don't have "a contract with LucasArts" that prevents them from voicing Sam and Max for other companies. That's kind of ridiculous.
  • edited July 2008
    Maybe Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were too expensive or something...
    i prefer the current sam and max voice actors anyway... i think they are much better...
  • edited July 2008
    You'd be surprized what LucasArts are capable of, after all their President does photograph topless men.;)
  • edited July 2008
    Do people read forums before posting or do they just blindly click the "New Thread" button on the slightest whim?
  • edited July 2008
    You'd be surprized what LucasArts are capable of, after all their President does photograph topless men.;)

ftw
  • edited July 2008
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Uh, I'm sure that Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson don't have "a contract with LucasArts" that prevents them from voicing Sam and Max for other companies. That's kind of ridiculous.

It IS possible, though unlikely, because TTG didn't get the license to use Sam and Max until the license expired for Lucas Arts, as they were making the now defunct "Sam and Max: Freelance Police" at the time.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm more worried about whether or not Gromit's voice actor will return.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm more worried about whether or not Gromit's voice actor will return.

Har har
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008

Gromit will be voiced by Theodore Dudebrough.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Threads merged.

Voice casting is still ongoing, so feel free to keep speculating until we have something to say. :D
  • edited July 2008
    If we're speculating wildly, I'm going to say that Wallace is going to be voiced by Sean Connery.
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Threads merged.

Voice casting is still ongoing, so feel free to keep speculating until we have something to say. :D

So does Mr. Sallis have to audition?
  • edited July 2008
    The thing is, I'm worried that Telltale's voice casting is limited to the San Francisco area...and to my knowledge, they've never gone out of normal reach for a voice actor. Which worryingly leads me to believe that the voice actor will NOT be Peter Sallis.
  • edited July 2008
    Kedri wrote: »
    The thing is, I'm worried that Telltale's voice casting is limited to the San Francisco area...and to my knowledge, they've never gone out of normal reach for a voice actor. Which worryingly leads me to believe that the voice actor will NOT be Peter Sallis.
    They did get almost all the original voices for CSI, remember? If they could manage that, I'm sure they can work something out for one guy. Unless the CSI cast all live in the San Francisco area...
  • edited July 2008
    I really hope he isn't replaced by an American voice, that would just be wrong!

EDIT: No offence to Americans. It's just Wallace isn't one..
  • edited July 2008
    Here's a few suggestions.

Wallace - Peter Sallis
    Gromit - Gary Oldman
    Preston - Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Feathers McGraw - Willem Dafoe
    PC Mackintosh - Peter Kay
  • edited July 2008
    If Wallace isn't voiced by Will Smith or Brendan Fraser, I am not interested.
  • edited July 2008
    The Brothers Chapman (voices for Strong Bad game) live way outside of the San Francisco area. I'm sure it gets them a bit less leniency but I think they can deal.
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Threads merged.

I think that Gromit will be played by Kevin Smith :p
  • edited July 2008
    *sweats* You can't use anyone other than Peter Sallis!
  • edited July 2008
    There being so few characters that speak, this could put an added strain on the music department to keep the scenes feeling rich and dynamic.
  • edited July 2008
    It's not like Sam & Max where the voices were open to interpretation. Sallis is an integral part of the character.

It would be like playing an Indiana Jones game without the voice of Harrison Ford...
    Oh wait...
  • edited July 2008
    Eggie wrote: »
    It's not like Sam & Max where the voices were open to interpretation. Sallis is an integral part of the character.

It would be like playing an Indiana Jones game without the voice of Harrison Ford...
    Oh wait...

Exactly. (lol @ the Indiana Jones mention.)

If for some reason Sallis can't reprise his role, the new actor should try to mimic Sallis's tone and inflections as much as possible rather than create a new interpretation of Wallace.
  • edited July 2008
    sean-connery.jpg
  • edited July 2008
    Shmashing job, Gromit.
  • edited July 2008
    Called it. ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Clearly the new voice actor for Gromit will be George Clooney.
  • edited July 2008
    Hang on a cotton picking minute here!?
    All this talk about the voice actor for Gromit, and to my recollection, Gromit NEVER spoke, he was, if you will, the silent partner.
    Wallace was voiced, and can only ever be voiced by Peter Sallis.
  • edited July 2008
    Jimothey wrote: »
    Hang on a cotton picking minute here!?
    All this talk about the voice actor for Gromit, and to my recollection, Gromit NEVER spoke, he was, if you will, the silent partner.
    Wallace was voiced, and can only ever be voiced by Peter Sallis.

They're jokes. :) Kevin Smith played a character called Silent Bob and George Clooney made some barking sounds for South Park. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.