Bonus DVD ala Sam & Max?

It's probably a bit early to ask considering the first episode hasn't even been released yet but will you guys be planning a Bonus DVD for SBCG4AP? And if so will it be available for both the Wii and PC version?

I'm kinda expecting an "It's too early to say" answer but I might as well post this anyway just in case.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• edited July 2008
    i think at the begining they said they didn't have any plans at all for a Bonus Disk yet
  • edited July 2008
    But does that mean that there don't have plans to create a disc or that they don't have plans for what to put on it? (Apart from the game of course.)
  • edited July 2008
    Shmeh wrote: »
    But does that mean that there don't have plans to create a disc or that they don't have plans for what to put on it? (Apart from the game of course.)

both.
  • edited July 2008
    That's really the only way I would buy them for the PC. I usually need something tangible when I buy something online. Having them backed up on the internet is nice, but I need a physical disc to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
  • edited July 2008
    Maybe there could be a wii disk release with a compilation of the episodes and bonuses.
  • edited July 2008
    yeah, maybe... if you have your wii shop account linked to a my nintendo account, and it shows you have all the episodes purchased...

but i doubt that would happen.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    If we were to do a bonus disc for Strong Bad, what kind of stuff would you guys want to see on it?
  • edited July 2008
    Oh oh! :D

The usual cutscenes and blooper real.

Commentary with Telltale and the Chapmans would be nice.

A reversable DVD case, the other side being a Videlectrix style box.

Peasant's Quest II! (I'm gonna keep asking until I get it!)

Source art for things specifically for these games. For example, the Videlectrix game boxes in large, possibly print and paper foldable form!

A seperate menu just to play the Videlectrix games without launching that game's SBCG4AP episode. That carries over any cheat codes or what have-you from your most recent save.
  • edited July 2008

I just listened to an interview where the Chapmans talk about PQ2, and also level 10 of Stinkoman and Thy Dungeon Man IV. They also talked about a second album ("Strong Bad Still Sings?"). You have Jonathan Howe to thank for the fact that there's been no PQ2.
  • edited July 2008
    I think Telltale is a bit more resourceful than Jonathan.

HINT HINT.

HINT.

....Hinty hinty hint hint.

I'm hinting something Telltale.

It's that you should do something with Peasant's Quest.
    edited July 2008

Ha! I've been wanting a Peasant's Quest II for years now. :D
  • edited July 2008
    Then obviously you guys should do *something* about that.

I mean, last time I checked, you had computers. That you use. To make VIDEO GAMES.

ADVENTURE video games, no less!

Anyway....

I would just love to see the Videlectrix partnership to be played out to its fullest. I can see why you'd have to not let them work on this game made with NEW computers(I'm sure The Cheat would approve), I don't see why you can't let them design an innocuous alternate box cover. ;)

....any chance you could fit that game on a floppy disk? xD
  • edited July 2008
    A reversable DVD case, the other side being a Videlectrix style box.

This is a great idea, if it wouldn't be too big of a hassle.

I think a secret (oops, guess not secret anymore) video of StrongBad playing SBCG4AP could be hilarious. I just think the DVD needs tons of easter eggs, a la the sbemails. Click this spot... ooh, a surprise. Click this spot... ooh another.
  • edited July 2008
    "DVD"?? What do you guys think you are, spacemans? What happened to the good old days of floppies!? THE HEYDAYS! :p

But yeah, I'd love to see some Valve-style commentary, as Rather Dashing mentioned.
  • edited July 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    "DVD"?? What do you guys think you are, spacemans? What happened to the good old days of floppies!? THE HEYDAYS! :p

But yeah, I'd love to see some Valve-style commentary, as Rather Dashing mentioned.

I hope when you say valve-style, you are talking about the commentary triggers in maps, because the valve guys are really boring. The commentary on Sam and Max Season 1 disc was heaps better than anything I heard on Orange Box.
  • edited July 2008
    I didn't exactly mean anything like the commentary in Portal(which is the only game I've played from Valve). I found the Portal commentary to be fascinating, but I don't think that would work nearly as well in an Adventure game.

But maybe a "Commentary Mode" where you can click on things to get little commentary snippets about that part of an environment? Or...uh, I'd be fine with a "Making of: Environments/Puzzles/Music/Things That Aren't Story" bits. The story parts can be commented on just fine with a cutscene reel like in the Sam and Max DVDs.

Of course, all of the above is asking quite a bit.

....But you're Telltale, and you ALWAYS outdo yourselves...^_^

Also, back to my favorite idea:

Y'know, if not a reversable cover, then you could just....ship it with a second cover? :)
  • edited July 2008
    I've always enjoyed the absurd fake making-of mockumentaries the Brothers Chaps whipped up for some of the Strong Bad DVDs in which they claim that they do the voices using cardboard tubes and animate the characters using motion capture and whatnot. It would be great if they could come up with something similar, except in character as the Videlectrix guys.
  • edited July 2008
    Y'know, if not a reversable (sic) cover, then you could just....ship it with a second cover? :)

A second cover would be better for the consumer, as a reversible one would eventually tear if it is reversed too many times. The second cover would cost more money to produce though. Maybe if SBCG4AP has something similar to case files, the second cover could be part of that.
  • edited July 2008
    the second cover should be printed upside down on the other side of the case.
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah I'd like a bonus dvd, even if there weren't many extras, just to have a physical souvenir of the game.
  • edited July 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    the second cover should be printed upside down on the other side of the case.

The problem with that, is that the disc couldn't be sold later in retail stores, as the back of the cover needs to contain, among other things, the blurb. It would be a great solution if the disc is only ever sold from the Telltate Store as that information can be obtained from the website and the reverse cover (unless advertised) can only be seen after the purchase anyway.

I noticed that people have been assuming bonus disc to mean DVD. Would it be possible for a bonus Wii disc for Wii customers? If the bonus disc was to contain the game like the Sam and Max discs, then wouldn't the bonus disc for the Wii customers have to be a Wii disc. (I assume Nintendo doesn't use DVD's for the Wii, but I don't know.)
  • edited July 2008
    The problem with that, is that the disc couldn't be sold later in retail stores, as the back of the cover needs to contain, among other things, the blurb. It would be a great solution if the disc is only ever sold from the Telltate Store as that information can be obtained from the website and the reverse cover (unless advertised) can only be seen after the purchase anyway.

I noticed that people have been assuming bonus disc to mean DVD. Would it be possible for a bonus Wii disc for Wii customers? If the bonus disc was to contain the game like the Sam and Max discs, then wouldn't the bonus disc for the Wii customers have to be a Wii disc. (I assume Nintendo doesn't use DVD's for the Wii, but I don't know.)
    They do use DVDs, but they have a special encoding so you can't really use them anywhere else.
  • edited July 2008
    The blurb could still be there, just dress it up with fancy text or surround the text with wheat ears.
    I have seen that crap obnoxiously placed on the front box art of other games, something a gaudy parody company like Videlectrix would do.
  • edited July 2008
    I hope when you say valve-style, you are talking about the commentary triggers in maps, because the valve guys are really boring. The commentary on Sam and Max Season 1 disc was heaps better than anything I heard on Orange Box.

Yeah, I meant clickables. I like how Starbreeze Studios (Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay) did it, with one subject tackled on each clickable logo.
  • edited July 2008
    Y'know, another thing I'd like is if the discs themselves were done floppy style.

Not actual floppies, mind you, just the design on the CD.

Like so:

Videlectrix_T-shirt_Close.PNG

Or-a like so:

Floppy_secret_identity.png

With "SBCG4AP: Disk 1 of 5" seemingly written on in sharpie.
  • edited July 2008
    Y'know, another thing I'd like is if the discs themselves were done floppy style.

Not actual floppies, mind you, just the design on the CD.

Like so:

Videlectrix_T-shirt_Close.PNG

Or-a like so:

Big

With "SBCG4AP: Disk 1 of 5" seemingly written on in sharpie.
    Like the Homestar DVDs they sell at the store.
  • edited July 2008
    Gino wrote: »
    Like the Homestar DVDs they sell at the store.

Wait, whatnow?

I haven't bought any of the DVDs, so...did they already use my idea for a DVD? :eek:
  • edited July 2008
    Wait, whatnow?

I haven't bought any of the DVDs, so...did they already use my idea for a DVD? :eek:

Yup. I rented all the SBemail ones, and they had pictures of floppy disks with the word SBemail and the number of the disk.
  • edited July 2008
    I would love to see some sort of commentary on the bonus disc. Maybe something with the Videlectrix guys as well. Oh, and a behind-the-scenes process to one of the episodes with sub-sections of the process. Like the voice-acting, animation, planning process, etc.
  • edited July 2008
    Okay, how's this:

The guys at Telltale get a commentary for their part of the game, and Videlectrix can get a commentary for Snake Boxer. ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Some bonus toons from the Chaps would be an awesome extra
  • edited August 2008
    I'd like to see the fourth wall be destroyed. Like the S&M DVD crossover.
    The C.O.P.S. and Strong Bad seem to have a common belief.
    Or commentary on the cutscenes, yeah. I have confidence in Telltale, nevertheless.
  • Don't forget a Blooper reel, people! We need that! And Deleted Scenes/Parts would be cool as well.

Finally, there must be a Music Video, with the Cast in Club Technochocolate dancing it out!
  • edited August 2008
    I would personally LOVE to have a Wii disc of the games once the series is complete. I was actually thinking about pre-ordering the PC episodes (even though I'd never play them) just to get a DVD of the series.

I'm already going to buy each episode for the Wii. Is there a way I can register the games with Telltale or send them emails from the game to prove that I have them all?

(This probably isn't possible, but I figured I'd ask it anyway.)

I vote for a Wii compilation! (Heck, I'd even settle for a PC compilation purchased separately after the fact.)
  • iandaemon wrote: »
    I would personally LOVE to have a Wii disc of the games once the series is complete. I was actually thinking about pre-ordering the PC episodes (even though I'd never play them) just to get a DVD of the series.

I'm already going to buy each episode for the Wii. Is there a way I can register the games with Telltale or send them emails from the game to prove that I have them all?

I vote for a Wii compilation! (Heck, I'd even settle for a PC compilation purchased separately after the fact.)
    *clap, clap*

This Idea FTW! ^_^
  • edited August 2008
    iandaemon wrote: »
    (Heck, I'd even settle for a PC compilation purchased separately after the fact.)

As with sam & max, you can always buy the season on PC afterwards then.
  • edited August 2008
    Commentary by StrongBad would be nice. ;)
    edited August 2008
    iandaemon wrote: »

Probably not, since we don't have access to Nintendo's customer records (the same question has been asked by customers who played Sam & Max on Steam and GameTap). From a business standpoint, it's kind of a sticky situation.
  • edited August 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Probably not, since we don't have access to Nintendo's customer records (the same question has been asked by customers who played Sam & Max on Steam and GameTap). From a business standpoint, it's kind of a sticky situation.

Dang... I was hoping for a bonus disk for Wii owners... What if there was a channel on WiiWare that costs nothing/hardly anything that has the same content of the bonus disk with maybe something extra?
  • edited August 2008
    Awesome5 wrote: »
    Dang... I was hoping for a bonus disk for Wii owners... What if there was a channel on WiiWare that costs nothing/hardly anything that has the same content of the bonus disk with maybe something extra?

I'm not sure Wiiware allows for such a thing, but that would be very interesting. You know, if they COULD release a channel with all of the videos in the bonus disc, for maybe $5(the price of shipping for just the DVD in the US).

But I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't do such a thing, and I'm not sure they *can*, honestly.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.