Congrats on being the most popular Wiiware title!

Sure the competition or as classic Strong Bad would say "competitión" wasn't that big, but still Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner is the most popular WiiWare title now! You guys beat out such names as Final Fantasy: My Life as a King and Pokemon Ranch. While some Strong Sads here will point out that those games have been out for a while, the fact is though that Super Mario Bros. 3 and the original Super Mario Bros. are still at the top of Virtual Console sales despite being there for quite some time.

And may I say thank you Telltale for bringing SB and soon Sam and Max to the Wii, besides the brutally awesome MadWorld, and the quirky de Blob, there isn't much looking forward to on the little system.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Dosen't suprise me, but how did you get that info? I don't think it lists it on the shop channel...
  • edited August 2008
    Ben Again wrote: »
    Dosen't suprise me, but how did you get that info? I don't think it lists it on the shop channel...

It says Popular Titles when you hit WiiWare.
  • edited August 2008
    Oh, yeah... :S But dosen't it list them randomly? Or in order of newest to oldest?
  • edited August 2008
    It's not really stat driven. But it probably is most popular right now.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    It is exciting to be #1! Now, I wonder how long we can stay there... :D
  • edited August 2008
    How many points does sbcg4ap ep 1 cost? I want to know if it's more than 1000 because of it's place :S
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    It costs 1000 Wii points.
  • edited August 2008
    Wow, I'm not really suprised.It was even better than Lostwinds!
  • edited August 2008
    I am a bit surprised. I was sure they would set the price so that buying the whole season would cost closer to 3,000 points, so as not to penalize Wiiware purchasers for not having a bundle option.

But then, I'm not Telltale. It must have been a really hard decision to make, and 1,000 was the cost that the community seemed to tolerate. Also, I can't possibly know what they get from the game...for all we know, Nintendo's cut is big enough to make them need to go for that price to get the same profit?

Whatever the case, I wouldn't buy it at that price point.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm not exactly shocked that it's the most popular. Like the topic starter said, there's no real competition for Homestar Ruiner.

Major League Eating? Beer Pong (or whatever they renamed it after the beer "controversy")? That Talk Show Thing? Piffile.

The only WiiWare title that I can see knocking a SBCG4AP episode out of first place anytime soon, is probably Mega Man 9. And trust me when I say that Mega Man 9 is going to be the hardest thing for Telltale to compete with, popularity-wise.
  • edited August 2008
    Mega Man 9 will not be defeated in awesomeness. That is until "Man Darts" become an olympic event.
  • edited August 2008
    Mega Man 9 will not be defeated in awesomeness. That is until "Man Darts" become an olympic event.

Mad World mini-game. *brick'd*
  • edited August 2008
    Im not surprised after playinjg the PC Demo of the game. SBCG4AP's only compertition on WiiWare is top quality games such as LostWinds and Final Fantasy.
  • edited August 2008
    Am I the only one who hated LostWinds? The only competition I think SBCG4AP will have is Mega Man 9.
  • edited August 2008
    The only thing I had to hate about Lostwinds was length...
  • edited August 2008
    i think the length is fine, just the price for a game that length is the problem, and the wait for the next one.
    And trust me when I say that Mega Man 9 is going to be the hardest thing for Telltale to compete with, popularity-wise.

and it'll be the hardest game to play, difficulty-wise. i've never been any good at them thar mega man games.
  • edited August 2008
    nathew wrote: »
    and it'll be the hardest game to play, difficulty-wise. i've never been any good at them thar mega man games.

They're easy, once you've seen the levels.Wait, who am I kidding, those damn wily fortresses...I always get stuck there...except for megaman 2.BUT THAT FREAKING HOLOGRAM!GRAH!Happy one thousand to me, happy one thousand to me...
  • edited August 2008
    Review Mad wrote: »
    How many points does sbcg4ap ep 1 cost? I want to know if it's more than 1000 because of it's place :S

it costs 1000 for each Episode, so at the end, 5000 Wii points
  • edited August 2008
    HOLY CRAP! wrote: »
    Sam & max are drug people...we would need sbcg4ap.. :P

um what does this have to do with Strong Bad?
    also...don't ever talk about Sam & Max like that again
  • edited August 2008
    maybe cause he freakin hates sibbie....
  • edited August 2008
    HOLY CRAP! wrote: »
    maybe cause he freakin hates sibbie....

um i really don't know what you're talking about
  • edited August 2008
    Who doesn't fricking hate sibbie?

And Telltale, will you be able to announce the number of titles of SBCG4AP sold on the wii?
  • edited August 2008
    I can announce that right now! It's 5 ;)
  • edited August 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    I can announce that right now! It's 5 ;)

you had to know he would say something like that:D
  • edited August 2008
    These guys were guessing 25,000 sold on Wiiware in the first week:
    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=1735

Still number one in week 2 according to these guys:
    http://www.wiiware-world.com/news/2008/08/top_20_wiiware_games_in_america_20th_august
  • edited August 2008
    Shot straight up the charts. Couldn't have happened to a better game!
  • edited August 2008
    The only thing that can really knock SBCG4AP out of that list is... itself. By the time Episode 5 is out, everybody, everybody would have already goten Episode 1. And then Episode 1 would be gone from that list. Maybe.
  • edited August 2008
    Actually, experiences with Sam & Max show that whenever a new episode comes out, the publicity gives a boost to all the previous ones. When the seasons were underway, Sam & Max episodes routinely took up several of Gametap's top-5 spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see SBCG4AP take up half the top-10 when the last episode is out, especially if serious competitors remain few and far between.
  • edited August 2008
  • edited August 2008
    Hooray for Telltale's awesome game!
  • edited August 2008
    Who could blame them?

I mean, if even I, lord Awsome Brains, can't finish this game within an hour or three, it must be a good game, at least. Seriously, I played Lost Winds (one I bought before SBCG4AP) until SBCG4AP was finally out, and the rest of the night I played the game.

And the Strong Bad comes in the Ni-i-i-ight!!!
  • edited August 2008
    I'd like to see the top 6 games all be from Telltale.

And all be sbcg4ap.

And get half the takings.

-m0r
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, that would be totally ownage. I mean, all five SBCG4AP filling in the top six. Man, that would totally rule.
  • edited August 2008
    If they don't, they'll get on my Top 6 List!
  • edited August 2008
    Oh as for Mega Man 9, it is still possible that Strong Bad can beat it because Mega Man will be on PS3 and Xbox Arcade as well.

And if it does beat it, can anyone say Stinkoman 2?
  • edited September 2008
    Still number one four weeks running!
    http://www.wiiware-world.com/news/2008/09/top_20_wiiware_games_in_usa_3rd_sept

Just remember who got you here and don't go console exclusive on us :)
  • edited September 2008
    I'm not surprised at all. Along with anyone else who either wanders upon it or gets a suggestion from a friend, the massive number of homestarrunner fans gave this title a gigantic boost. The only competition this gam will get is from the other huge fan-base game coming out on wiiware - Mega Man 9. It will be a long, tiring fight between the side-scrolla lovahs and the all-3-glorious-d's lovahs.

That'd make another good wiiware game... Strong Bad vs. Mega Man : Almost a Dynamic Duo!
  • edited September 2008
    I grew up with one (Mega Man), and the other is awesome.I love them equally.But not in the gay way. I'd probably start arguments with myself over who's better.Then consult my phyciatrist.
  • edited September 2008
    I continue to believe that the Final Fantasy game should have been released (bonus and all) on the DS as opposed to basically the exact same price on the Wii. And Lost Winds felt a bit overrated considering the price. Strong Bad and Megaman are really the only competition on the WiiWare line-up. Seriously, since the WiiWare came out, SB is the only title I've felt compelled to buy. Even the Virtual Console only has really maybe 20 games that are really worth getting, and a handful of other decent games that might be worth it if you're a fan or familiar with then. The rest are just shovelware fillers.
  • edited September 2008
    I continue to believe that the Final Fantasy game should have been released (bonus and all) on the DS as opposed to basically the exact same price on the Wii. And Lost Winds felt a bit overrated considering the price. Strong Bad and Megaman are really the only competition on the WiiWare line-up. Seriously, since the WiiWare came out, SB is the only title I've felt compelled to buy. Even the Virtual Console only has really maybe 20 games that are really worth getting, and a handful of other decent games that might be worth it if you're a fan or familiar with then. The rest are just shovelware fillers.

Do you NEED more than 20 old games that you probably already own?

And it's not like these old games have additions, like some XBLA games sometimes get(Admittedly, we also do get a sizable number of crap ports). These VC games are direct ROMs, without any thought put into retaining features like ghost saves in Mario Kart 64.

The fact of the matter is that ALL of the Virtual Console is shovelware. It's like they didn't care at all when putting this out there.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.