Homsar canonicity (huge spoilers)

The development with Homesar in this game is incredible. It shows he was not a crazy schizophrenic idiot. I'm pretty sure TBC wrote that bit (I hope so) but is it canon? Do you think they will reference it in the cartoon?

Thoughts?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    I feel kind of bad for him now. I mean,
    he's actually this eloquent sensitive guy with a lot going on, but he can't communicate with anyone and everyone just thinks he's a nutcase.

It's kind of depressing, if you think about it...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Sweeney252 wrote: »
    The development with Homesar in this game is incredible. It shows he was not a crazy schizophrenic idiot. I'm pretty sure TBC wrote that bit (I hope so) but is it canon? Do you think they will reference it in the cartoon?

Thoughts?

Like most of the episode, it was a back and forth between the design team (notably this episode's lead writer/director Chuck Jordan) and the Chaps. I think that the Homsar Reservation was either the Chaps idea, or they were into it when it was proposed. Either way, basically everything in these episodes has at least passed by their desk (and was recorded by Matt!) so it's safe to assume that they accept it in some way or another :)
  • edited September 2008
    I think how 'canon' things are in the HSR universe can be a bit pliable. It's mostly for fun and is always under the guidance of the Brothers Chaps.

It could very well be the case that if different items were put into that hole then a different 'alternative' Homsar would have answered the calling, or there are many Homsar of which he was one, or that Strong bad actually went insane for a while and it all made sense to him.

The most fun thing about fun is having it - don't get too serious with the lore of something that would bite your ass for getting too serious with the lore of it.

-m0r
  • edited September 2008
    I was actually extremely disappointed when I found out he was normal (to some extent)... I liked him better when he was completely crazy.
  • edited September 2008
    I finally finished the game's main campaign, so I actually can open this thread. Yay!

Homestar Runner isn't, really, this "strict" world controlled by an overarching "canon". I'm guessing that this facet of Homsar will at least stay in the games, if it's still funny.

There is one rule of Homestar Runner canon. And that is, "If it's funny, we'll continue to use it. If it's not, we'll discard it". So it all depends on what they write later. The realities of the Strong House being impossible to faithfully recreate from all the different sbemails shows that rather than make a world, the Brothers Chaps fabricate character attributes and the world around them more or less on the fly, with continuity being a far second to funtinuity.

Anyway, I realized rather quickly that I was going to get to understand what Homsar was saying, and I was pretty excited. I honestly expected a Brittish accent(Crackers, Gromm--I mean Strong Bad!), but whatever.
  • edited September 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    he's actually this eloquent sensitive guy with a lot going on, but he can't communicate with anyone and everyone just thinks he's a nutcase.

Think about all of the things English Homsar can do:
    Make Coach Z less werid
    Marzipan a bit more awesome
    Homestar, a better runner than before!
    Pom-Pom, a even awesomer samurai!
    Bubs less a cheapskate
    The Cheat not smoking

Oh, the wonders...
  • edited September 2008
    Poor Homsar.
  • Why... why did you have to turn out normal?!

I liked him better when he was 100% Psychopathic. IN fact, before I knew of this, I was even scared before using the last object to make him talk normal:

I thought: "Oh my god. What if Telltale actually makes him talk like a normal guy?" *Horrified look*

LOL, but anyways, it was funny. I really like his voice. ^_^
  • edited September 2008
    m0r1arty wrote: »
    It could very well be the case that if different items were put into that hole then a different 'alternative' Homsar would have answered the calling, or there are many Homsar of which he was one, or that Strong bad actually went insane for a while and it all made sense to him.

Well, I can calm some irrational thoughts. There is only one Homsar - as of now - because when you show Strong Sad one of the items he mentions "That could be the key to unlocking the mystery of the Homsar people... er, person."

So we can be certain that there is only one Homsar in the Homsar Reservation. Where Strong Sad went getting sick is anyone's guess. But he must have understood them or they wouldn't have been able to do the job.
  • edited September 2008
    Emily wrote: »

Yeah, the poor guy, why did they do this to him? Why TBC?! WHHHYY?!
  • edited September 2008
    Wasn't it already theorized on the Homestar wiki that Homsar might not be as crazy as we think?
  • edited September 2008
    I think SB went crazy remember when he said he almost understood the jibberish
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, I seem to recall there being something about Homsar not being as dumb as everyone thinks. But that's the way with a lot of people who are seen as "Crazy". Sometimes there is a "crazy" logic to the seemingly random madness they display.

The way I like to see it... is that Homsar actually is very stupid most of the time, and that what you did with the mysterious pylon (and I loved the Land of the Lost reference there) was that it put Strong Bad and Homsar on the same wavelength until it was destroyed.

I mean after all, since everything has a negative and a positive, wouldn't it stand to reason that if Homestar Runner is an idiot, then an even bigger idiot like Homsar might actually be bordering on the intelligent in a stupid way? o_O

Yeah, I know, confusing logic...
  • edited September 2008
    I've never thought of Homsar as being mentally challenged. After all, insanity is more traditionally tied in with genius.

And when you consider that he seems to be telepathic (another sign of a strong mind), the idea that Homsar is intelligent, albeit highly unstable, seems even more likely.
  • edited September 2008
    Why... why did you have to turn out normal?!
    Normal? You're telling me that Homsar speaking in an Native American voice and willing to go out and, you know, die in a battle with the KOT is normal?

Anyway, good job Telltale Games for exposing the truth about Homsar.
  • edited September 2008
    It's kind of sad that no one at all can understand him now. :(
    It'd be like having an endless one-way conversation. No one answers, because they can't understand him.
  • edited September 2008
    Canon?
    Looking way to deep into this, maybe?

I don't exactly remember where, but I think the Brothers Chaps made fun of canon once.......something along the lines of "Doesn't canon mean anything anymore?". It's satire at its best, the very reason I've been watching these funny/stupid little cartoons for so long.

Its a game! Its a cartoon! Next thing you know Strong Bad's going to take his mask off-oh wait, that happened too.

Take it for what it is! Homsar talking was funny. He threw a few little jokes in there too. It made for a good story. We'll probably never hear of this again, as well it should be.

Good thread though.
  • edited September 2008
    poohead900 wrote: »
    Take it for what it is! Homsar talking was funny. He threw a few little jokes in there too. It made for a good story. We'll probably only ever hear of it again, unless a good joke can be made by mentioning it.

I like Twinkies.

Fixed that for ya.
  • edited September 2008
    Actually, I think that there is a fair ammount of canon within the Homestar Universe. But I also feel that jokes about canon are less aimed at his show and more aimed at people who purposefully screw with the canon to try and make a show more interesting. Especially when something - game or comic or whatever - is made into a movie and the director decides he doesn't care much for the source and rewrites a lot of stuff. Transformers, Max Payne, and Super Mario Brothers all come to mind.
  • edited September 2008
    Only, Max Payne isn't even out yet, and I doubt the bloody trail of Valkyr acid trip would translate well to the big screen.
  • edited September 2008
    I was raised by a cup of coffee!

I think it's kind of cool that Homsar is actually very intelligent. One thing irks me, though. Can he understand people that don't float?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Strong Ad wrote: »
    One thing irks me, though. Can he understand people that don't float?

Find out in Season TwoOoooOoo!!
  • edited September 2008
    Hey, maybe I could understand Homsar if I strap massive amounts of helium in some weightless container to my back.
  • edited September 2008
    I was raised by a cup of coffee!

I think it's kind of cool that Homsar is actually very intelligent. One thing irks me, though. Can he understand people that don't float?

If you talk to him while you have some but not all of the artifacts in, he says "speaking gibberish" halfway through the nonsense. So it's pretty easy to infer that he can understand your responses. And because he knows that Strong Bad doesn't understand him (trying to instruct him to use the magic thingamajig), and not knowing why Strong Bad talked "like a two years-old boy", it's pretty obvious that he knows that he is not understood but does not know what others hear from him.
  • edited September 2008
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Only, Max Payne isn't even out yet, and I doubt the bloody trail of Valkyr acid trip would translate well to the big screen.

It's funny, because I never recalled a single Valkyrie when I played the original game. It feels like the movie is yet another game-based movie with little or no basis on the source.
  • edited September 2008
    it's pretty obvious that he knows that he is not understood but does not know what others hear from him.

Which makes me wonder: Homsar's flag had a cup of coffee and a chipwich on it. But both of those items are from his earlier babblings. ("My name is millions, and I'm the son of a chipwich.", "I was raised by a cup of coffee.")

How would he know about the coffee and chipwich if he can't hear himself the way everybody hears him?

Furthermore, if Homsar is really saying something else, then... Who are Homsar's real parents!? (dramatic music)
  • edited September 2008
    My hypothesis is that the items SB threw in punctured a natural reservoir of nitrous oxide :)
  • edited September 2008
    One is a genius, the other's insane...
    I thought it was a pretty cool joke, but it's unlikely homsar will talk like that again unless someone gets the sacred elemental items out of the hole and put's them back in again.
    Great tags on this thread by the way.
  • edited September 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder: Homsar's flag had a cup of coffee and a chipwich on it. But both of those items are from his earlier babblings. ("My name is millions, and I'm the son of a chipwich.", "I was raised by a cup of coffee.")

How would he know about the coffee and chipwich if he can't hear himself the way everybody hears him?

Furthermore, if Homsar is really saying something else, then... Who are Homsar's real parents!? (dramatic music)
    As revealed by an Easter Egg in an HR toon (methinks sbemail), a cup of coffee and a chipwich are his parents. The Easter Egg is a photo of a cup of coffee next to a chipwich and says under it, "Homsar's Parents."

This makes want to combine a cup of coffee with a chipwich and see if I get a Homsar.
  • edited September 2008
    As revealed by an Easter Egg in an HR toon (methinks sbemail), a cup of coffee and a chipwich are his parents. The Easter Egg is a photo of a cup of coffee next to a chipwich and says under it, "Homsar's Parents."

This makes want to combine a cup of coffee with a chipwich and see if I get a Homsar.

Please don't. That's a waste of a chipwhich
  • edited September 2008
    A big error was made involving the Concession Stand. In SBemail the chair we see the back of Bubs. But there is no conventional door like there is in Episode Two of SBCG4AP. In fact Bubs's awesome brick door takes up the entire back wall.

Oh yeah I forgot, its just a hilarious series that shouldn't have things be taken so seriously.
  • edited September 2008

Yes, but that was based on his ramblings, not what he's actually saying. This is truly a mystery for the ages.
  • edited September 2008

Thoughts?

If canon meant anything, Homsar would be dead right now, seeing as how Strongbad killed him. But he isn't, and the world is a better place for that.

Kevin
  • edited September 2008
    KevinSig wrote: »
    If canon meant anything, Homsar would be dead right now, seeing as how Strongbad killed him. But he isn't, and the world is a better place for that.

Kevin

h-objection.gif
    No.Remember that episode of Marzipan's Answering Machine? (I know I'm vague, but here's what he said.
    HOMSAR: DaAAahhh, hello, Marzypa-yun. It's Homsar! Dahhh, I was just calling to thank you for the flowers you sent me while I was in the hospital. Daahh, I'm feeling much better now, but I still can't feel my leeegs. Okay, bye-dee-bye.
    He was undoubtedly referring to the incident.
  • edited September 2008
    There's hardly much "canon" stuff in H*R.But,I would love the return of non-crazy Homsar.When Homsar said "Nah,just messing with ya,man" I laughed hard.That made my day.
  • edited September 2008
    The truth is... Homsar is a genius who figured out how to make clones. Unfortunately his clones could only talk gibberish, so he traveled with them to live in Free Country U.S.A. Over the years, many have been killed, and legends have developed saying that they just speak a different language. To perpetuate these myths, the scientist Homsar must now speak in gibberish.
    ...Why did he start speaking normally to Strong Bad? ...He likes to mess with people's heads.
  • edited September 2008
    I highly doubt that chords of steel.
  • edited September 2008
    The development with Homesar in this game is incredible. It shows he was not a crazy schizophrenic idiot.

It shows he's not a crazy schizophrenic idiot while under the influence of a pecular magical rock. I also like to think that if you'd put a different combination of items into the rock, Sane Homsar would have had a different accent.
  • edited September 2008
    Thing is,the magical rock does NOT affect Homsar.It affects Strong Bad,making him understand what our crazy friend Homsar says.

I know this because we can see,from Strong Sad's view,that Strong Bad is talking gibberish too.
  • edited September 2008
    regardless...i wonder how strong bad continue to behave towards homsar, now that he talked to him. will he treat him like an idiot again in episode three?
    Jake wrote: »
    Find out in Season TwoOoooOoo!!
    is this an official statement or are you just teasing us?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.