Halloween Spooktacular - buy a Strong Bad game, get some zombies for free!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
zombies.jpg

Since we love Halloween so much, we've got a special treat for all you Strong Bad fans out there... now through October 31, when you buy any Strong Bad game from Telltale's store, we'll give you the Sam & Max: Night of the Raving Dead for free. Not only do you get free zombies, but also a free vampire, a free Frankenstein's monster, AND a free dog and rabbity-thing. What a steal!

Full details can be found right here. Enjoy!

(Already bought the Strong Bad games, and looking for something to tide you over until the next episode comes out? Why not check out the free Abe Lincoln Must Die, which is especially topical with elections just around the corner...)

Comments

• edited October 2008
    too bad this doesn't apply to the Wii verson of SBCG4AP
  • edited October 2008
    Kincyr wrote: »
    Or the Wii version of Night of the Raving De--oh wait...
  • edited October 2008
    im being tortured (somebody post a picture of a torture-me-elmer doll)i never buy sbcg4ap online and thats the last sam and max episode im missing!WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?:(:mad:
  • edited October 2008
    What about people that already purchased one of the SBCG4AP episodes for PC? Can we still get the offer, or do we have to buy ANOTHER episode?

-heissocooldg
  • edited October 2008
    same thing, do we have to re-order Strong Bad when we ordered and pre-ordered all 5 episodes?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    im being tortured (somebody post a picture of a torture-me-elmer doll)i never buy sbcg4ap online and thats the last sam and max episode im missing!WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?:(:mad:

That's the point! You can buy any Strong Bad game now and get Night of the Raving Dead for free. It's a 2-for-1. :)
    What about people that already purchased one of the SBCG4AP episodes for PC? Can we still get the offer, or do we have to buy ANOTHER episode?

The promo is a Halloween special and doesn't apply to past orders. If you buy another Strong Bad episode now, you'll get the free Night of the Raving Dead.
  • edited October 2008
    but I've got nothing left to buy
  • edited October 2008
    I love the page here: http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad/zombies - how all the H*R characters are zombified :)

I'm also in Trogdorman's boat - I've already bought the full season of Sam & Max S2 and SBCG4AP, so no free gift code for a friend without also buying another SBCG4AP episode.

I don't mind the conditions, after all, the whole promo is to try and promote sales... and TTG's already got ours :) But perhaps this will encourage some people who like H*R to give Sam and Max a go...
  • edited October 2008
    The only bad thing about leaving out past orders is that it discourages us from supporting the games early with the purchase of a season pass. Why pay for the whole thing up front knowing that it's likely the people who wait will get a better deal. I think the deal should apply for past Season Pass purchasers at the very least.

I don't necessarily think that Telltale owes me anything, and I have been very happy with the quality of your games. I just think it is disappointing to early adopters and long time supporters of your games to be left out, and I am sure that was not your intention.
  • GuuGuu
    edited October 2008
    I'm afraid I have to agree with the above sentiments. I played the demo of the first episode and then bought the entire season.

It would be an excellent gesture to offer the code to those of us who pre-ordered. Also, it would distract us from not being able to play the third episode yet. A little.
  • edited October 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    I don't mind the conditions, after all, the whole promo is to try and promote sales... and TTG's already got ours :) But perhaps this will encourage some people who like H*R to give Sam and Max a go...

Exactly. This is for, say, H*R fans who've kept an eye on SBCG4AP but have remained hesitant to take the dive, while also being at least slightly curious about Sam & Max. It may work on a number of folks in a somewhat similar way to how, for example, both Abe Lincoln Must Die! and the "get Season One for $19.99 with your SBCG4AP pre-order!" promo eventually won me over to Sam & Max.

It's also good to remember that almost anywhere you turn in this market economy (such as it is), there are always, always going to be "better deals" down the road. It's just the nature of the beast. Promos tend to reside on the more fleeting end of this spectrum, but it's the same idea. How long someone is willing to wait in hopes of nabbing a new, improved window of opportunity is up to the individual.

(FTR, I'm far leerier of "early adoption" when it comes to buying hardware, so that tempers my POV on this particular version of the issue quite a bit. ^^; )
  • edited October 2008
    will this apply to full season pass of SBCG4AP?
  • edited October 2008
    I just ordered Baddest of the Bands and I'm hoping my zombies will show up any... oh, wait...
  • edited October 2008
    Wait, what if you bought the season-pass in september? do you still get
    "Sam and Max: Night Of The Raving Dead" when u get Baddest Of The Bands?
  • edited October 2008
    Unfortunately, early adopters get the shaft when it comes to these bonuses. Because we bought this stuff early, we get to miss out on any deals and incentives they would hand out because, well, they already got our money, they don't need to convince us to buy the rest of these episodes.
  • edited October 2008
    Not a complaint, just information for TTG: This makes me less inclined to purchase future season passes early. I already own Night of the Raving Dead, but if I could have a code to give to somebody else, that's a potential new Sam & Max fan.
  • edited October 2008
    Promos are great for attracting new players - but I do feel a bit shafted that I didn't get anything special for buying the entire season as soon as I had the chance.

Not too shafted though Telltale, as all your games rock and are worth their weight in deep fried gold.

-m0r
  • edited October 2008
    ill have to agree with all those saying they feel shafted :/ not good PR to leave out the ppl who bought the whole thing unaware of decent offers like this in future
  • edited October 2008
    Who cares, since I get cash off for the Season Pass, I'll just buy NOTRD.
  • edited October 2008
    I, too, like many else (who haven't necessarily yet voiced their concern on the forums here), feel very shafted indeed. What would Telltale lose if they gave the code for NOTRD for free for those who already spent $35 on the SBCG4AP Season and got less?

There is only one Sam & Max Season 1 disc left in my local game store. It's on the lowest shelf, in the corner, at the back, in a shady shadowy little space of it's own, where nobody has the time to notice it. It's a treasure of mine, a personal crate-digging loot, I used to go look at it each time I passed by, wondering whether I should buy it.

Now I sure won't.

Since it seems that
    A) you don't provide customer support (check your email from October 4th)
    B) if I buy it next week, God knows what I will get for free. Oh, nothing this week either? Maybe next week then.

I am very disappointed at Telltale for this kind of behaviour and for now, I will think that I bought the season pass in August to support only The Brothers Chaps, and not Telltale at all.

Have a nice day.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    This is just like a Sale at a real store. It's a short time promotion to excite new customers. If a shoe store suddenly ran a promotion where they gave away a free candy bar with any pair of shoes you buy that weekend, would you expect to walk in there and say "hey, these shoes on my feet, I bought them here three months ago, may I have a candy bar now?" If you asked politely the clerk might just go ahead and do it, but if you act indignant and entitled about it, and insult the clerk behind the counter, that doesn't seem like a good way to earn yourself any favors!

We have, in the past, done promotions where every customer who already owns a certain product gets a free episode either for themselves or to give away as a gift. We'll probably do another of that sort at some point. But, this particular promotion happens to be aimed at new customers. That's all. It's not a sleight against you personally or anything, honest! We're very grateful that you bought a Season Pass for Strong Bad and hope you're enjoying it.

Also, we're actually pretty damn proud of our customer support record -- we are often told by our customers that we have some of the best and most responsive customer support in the industry. I'll have someone look into your unanswered issue from the 4th.
  • edited October 2008
    Hey Jake, thanks for posting. Please remember that most of us have not been indignant or rude, we are simply disappointed. As I said in my earlier post, I don't feel that Telltale owes me anything, but I do feel a little left out.

I think one thing that would have helped is if the advertisements for the deal made it more apparent that it was for new purchases. The way it was presented, it wasn't really clear. It should have said something like "Buy now and get a free episode" or something to that affect. As it was, the first question on all of our minds was whether this applied to everyone who purchased. If I hadn't gotten my hopes up I don't think it would have bothered me much. Just a thought.

I still love the games and will continue to support Telltale. The Sam & Max series has been excellent and I am enjoying SBCG4AP. Keep up the good work.
    edited October 2008
    You guys might enjoy the happenings in this thread.

And of course most people are just being inquisitive to lightly disappointed. That's a fair enough feeling to have when you happen to miss a sale. It's the aggravated expression that you feel you were owed something free you didn't even know you were going to get (or want) in the first place when you bought something, months after the fact, that strikes me as unfair.
  • edited October 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    That's the point! You can buy any Strong Bad game now and get Night of the Raving Dead for free. It's a 2-for-1. :)

no i mean all my other episodes are on my wii so wouldnt it be kind of dumb to buy a couple for wii and a couple for pc?:confused:
  • edited October 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    You guys might enjoy the happenings in this thread.

And of course most people are just being inquisitive to lightly disappointed. That's a fair enough feeling to have when you happen to miss a sale. It's the aggravated expression that you feel you were owed something free you didn't even know you were going to get (or want) in the first place when you bought something, months after the fact, that strikes me as unfair.

Yes, you might wanna check out this thread... :) Trust Me.
  • edited October 2008
    As a long time TTG fanboy and a VERY early adopter, I feel some of you guys (girls too? not everyone!) are being a bit unfair towards Telltale.

They really owe us nothing and them even responding to your complaints or offering to help in other ways (as seen in the other thread) should convince you that they are NOTHING like some of the other game developers (one starting with an E and ending with a A comes to mind) who don't even bother patching their games when legitimate buyers can't play them on higher than the supposed minimum specs when they ARE aware of the problems.

Frankly, the more other people they get interested in the games, the more of a winning situation it is for the fans. Also, I'm rather happy I paid for my NOTRD. It is good to know that Jake, Emily and the like can buy their kids/pets/selves or all of the above xmas presents this year with the money they worked for and earned from my purchases.

Don't be cheap. Any one of their games is worth every cent you pay for.
  • edited October 2008
    fhqwhgads wrote: »
    Don't be cheap. Any one of their games is worth every cent you pay for.

Unfortunately for some of us foreigners it is not just a click and smile to buy anything from the States online, and what seems to be $8.99 in the shopping cart soon becomes $18.99 after tax, exchange rates, transfer fees and other hidden fees (which Telltale is of course not to blame, but still).
    It's the aggravated expression that you feel you were owed something free you didn't even know you were going to get (or want) in the first place when you bought something, months after the fact, that strikes me as unfair.

It's not that I expect anything, and it's not that I feel Telltale is obligated to give me a free game now. It's the fact that the people who wake up for the Strong Bad set of games now get free stuff, and us who did indeed buy it ages ago, get nothing. That is what strikes me as unfair. I feel like less a customer to you (and that still unresponded customer support ticket doesn't help that feeling). I know it's not a personal sleight, but I can't help the definite feeling of anti-climax even so many days after I first saw that offer. I'm sorry if I seemed indignant, but I am very disappointed.

I also agree with fleet, "Free game when you buy any Strong Bad game" isn't too clear about the deal.
  • edited October 2008
    I am also not an American citizen. The exchange rate is also not too kind to me.

Look, I can sympathize with not being able to afford everything, but it's not like you can expect to wait for 'special' offers to get through life. I, for one, don't feel like 'less of a customer'. But then, I'm probably biased, because everything telltale releases is like puppies and bunnyrabbits to me. I'm just glad someone is reviving not only my favourate series' but also my favourate game genre.

Look, in the end they need to make a profit. This is just another way of getting more people intrested in buying the game.
  • edited October 2008
    Emily wrote: »

The promo is a Halloween special and doesn't apply to past orders. If you buy another Strong Bad episode now, you'll get the free Night of the Raving Dead.

well that's not very good business

I already have my season pass

this isn't the first time you guys have let us down
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, keep complaining, that is in no way affecting their decision on whether or not to extend a future promo to everyone.
    edited October 2008
    sysrq868 wrote: »
    and us who did indeed buy it ages ago, get nothing.

You don't get nothing, you got the games you paid for, with the knowledge that you were paying for those games. You got exactly what you paid for, which is five Strong Bad episodes and a bonus DVD (quite the opposite of nothing, in fact)!

We have a special running right now, which is a limited time offer where something extra was added. And, as pointed out earlier in the thread, if you really want to take advantage of the offer in a different way, buy some other downloadable episode from the store during the sale -- Emily has been giving out Night of the Raving Deads in the other thread to SBCG4AP customers who buy some other episode during the sale.

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but I hope you understand that we really can't just retroactively give out free copies of our games to everyone every time there's a promotion. Imagine two years from now, if we put some items on sale, say, eight times over the course of those twenty-four months... would people come and ask for say, five free episodes, and 10, 5, and 8 percent added together off of their purchase which they made two years ago, because they didn't know at the time that there would be discounts later? As I said earlier in the thread, this isn't the only time we've had a sale or done a promotion, and we'll definitely do more in the future. I'm sure if you stick around you'll find that some apply directly to you :)
  • edited October 2008
    Kincyr wrote: »

does it really not apply to everyone who will purchase the wii version?
    edited October 2008
    If they circumvent the laws of science and order the WiiWare version from the telltalegames.com store, they might qualify for a free copy of Night of the Raving dead for the PC. That's pretty impossible to pull off, though, since the Wii version is of course only available through the Wii Shop channel.
  • edited October 2008
    sorry i asked
  • edited October 2008
    sysrq868 wrote: »
    I feel like less a customer to you (and that still unresponded customer support ticket doesn't help that feeling).

We don't have any support tickets from you on the 4th but I found one from the 8th which our QA lead Will responded to six hours from the time we received it. I just sent you a PM with his response. The email may have been filtered into the spam folder so you might want to look there.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Don't forget that there is a completely free episode of Sam & Max available right here - and with the election coming up, it's very topical! So if you're one of those who have already bought Strong Bad and you're looking for a freebie to tide you over until the next episode's release, you should check that out.
  • edited October 2008
    Yep, or if you didn't get it... preorder Baddest of the Bands, and have Night of The Raving Dead to hold you off!
  • edited October 2008
    Actually, if you get Abe Lincoln Must Die free do you still get Night of the Raving Dead free?

Edit: Also, even if you don't think you'll be a fan of some of the less well known titles like Texas hold'em it's still definitely worth getting a Sam&Max game now since the offer officially applies to any game.
  • edited October 2008
    Holyxion wrote: »
    Actually, if you get Abe Lincoln Must Die free do you still get Night of the Raving Dead free?
    A) Abe Lincoln Must Die isn't a SBCG4AP game so it wouldn't count anyway
    2) I don't think it would even show up in your "Ordered Games" page since it's free (I could be wrong on this one though)
    If they circumvent the laws of science and order the WiiWare version from the telltalegames.com store, they might qualify for a free copy of Night of the Raving dead for the PC. That's pretty impossible to pull off, though, since the Wii version is of course only available through the Wii Shop channel.
    too bad we can't send in a home movie of ourselves purchasing the WiiWare version while reciting our forum usernames to the Telltale Team
    edited October 2008
    You can send us that video... but we probably wouldn't do anything with it. Maybe post it to the video page :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.