What's up with the community?

Comments

• I'm not into the Franchise as a whole, so i highly give that a miss. But one never knows.
  • I really couldn't care less about this series. As it stands, it's just an obstruction that's going to end up delaying TWD and TWAU for even longer.
  • I have never played any of the Borderlands games, but im still interested about ''Tales from the Borderlands'' because Telltale is the best at making awesome games.
  • ElliasEllias Banned
    what i think is that telltale should work on only twau and twd rather than 3 or possibly even 4 projects aT ONCE
  • I didn't like the Borderlands games, so no I don't care about Tales. If I didn't think Gearbox would get a cut of the money(or has already been paid) I might play it. Bring on Game of Thrones.
  • I don't understand why people say that Tales is going to delay TWD. Tales is coming after second season TWD and TWAU finishes. Also Thrones has so much source material that breaking all that up into seasons and episodes that still give you choices that make sense while providing drama that keeps you hooked and not feeling like your already in a repeat must be giving the Telltale team responsible for it painkiller addictions.

Hell the 'glossing' over of story depth that you could accuse Gearbox of in their shoot and loot/rpg (I don't but for other posters opinions sake) gives Telltale possibly hundreds of hours of almost free form story telling and a chance to lift themselves from what is often several dark choices at each turn. A chance at a bit of fun and for those of us who do see much more in Borderlands an absolutely story driven environment that does not require dozens of repeat visits for every small goal. This could be exactly how I want some extra back story and with BL3 still very distant, a good platform for the threads that finally launch us off Pandora. Very interesting times ahead.

Oh and I hope I'm not going to have to start collecting animated giff's to have a decent argument. Seriously that last page nearly killed me phone. Jeez.
    JakeSt123 posted: »

I really couldn't care less about this series. As it stands, it's just an obstruction that's going to end up delaying TWD and TWAU for even longer.

• I am somewhat familiar with this outlook on the GearBox boards. I assume all forums have varying degrees of distaste for new members.
    Let them act and think as they want. I am sure myself, gswine and whomever else decides to check this place out will prove them wrong. We're good people just looking to enjoy and appriciate what TellTale is adding to a game we love. No rage is coming from me.

Truth is, there are assclowns in every group. Whats that old saying? Dont let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Don't worry.

As I alluded to in "Why the hate?", despite the fact that Telltale works on a wide variety of franchises, the fanbase of Telltale's current franchise always winds up being protective of itself against new fans until the game actually comes out.

People of Telltale's classic puzzle/comedy titles feared Walking Dead would bring a bunch of immature users whining that Walking Dead would not be a FPS and expected that nobody would appreciate the story, but obviously that turned out to be wrong. Others feared 12 year olds would run rampant on the forums, and while we do have some immature users on occasion, I've also seen some pleasantly thought provoking discussion.

Don't worry, I expect the same will happen with Borderlands where your maturity will speak for itself. It's better just to ride the wait out until the game actually comes out and people can go off of how the fanbase actually acts.
  • I guess to a certain extent that having a range of franchises coming together under the Telltale banner brings groups who love the source material. Then it all gets a bit protective. With Tales source being a different genre of gaming the rivalry is maybe even more deep set. It's funny though that some of the comments, the fears maybe, of what kind of gamer might be coming over here through Tales is reflected on the Gearbox forums. We make a distinction over those that drop into players games using modded gear, start dropping high end gear like it's Christmas, kick you just as that pain in the arse boss has been killed or drop in whining down the mic. To the core forum user their not us, at least, we're not them.
    I've seen the same comments on whether or not the game will translate, the strength of the writing and who is going to like it here and over at Gearbox.
    You're going to see those COD fps tw##s (pretty close paraphrase of some posts here) but not cause of Tales. They just found you cause they were out looking to flame anyway.

It seems to me (in my very short time here) that the strongest feelings come from ideas around resource management. That each new game brings a longer wait for the next season, or will effect the quality, of the title they like. Seems to me that a little direct involvement from Telltale, a lifting of the curtain on development would go a long way. I also happen to really like that kind of stuff anyway hint :)

I am looking forward to a good discussion, give it some grit if that's what you do but we're not going to be screaming 'We're here, we're Gear get over it!'. Probably...
    edited May 2014
    "It seems to me (in my very short time here) that the strongest feelings come from ideas around resource management. That each new game brings a longer wait for the next season, or will effect the quality, of the title they like. Seems to me that a little direct involvement from Telltale, a lifting of the curtain on development would go a long way. I also happen to really like that kind of stuff anyway hint :)"

Sounds about right. Most of the older Telltale fans know better, but newer Telltale fans think one game delays another. People hated Wolf Among Us before it came out because they thought it had delayed Season 2 of Walking Dead (which came out only a year after the last episode of Season 1), but now people love the game. It isn't just exclusive towards Tales as well, as people even feel the same about Game of Thrones - which is much closer to Walking Dead in terms of story telling than Borderlands is. Again, I think it will just sort itself out once the game comes out and actual discussion starts instead of speculation over five screenshots, a trailer, and a logo.

"We're here, we're Gear get over it!"

Oh, how I wish this new forum had signatures like the old one did. :)
    gswine posted: »

I guess to a certain extent that having a range of franchises coming together under the Telltale banner brings groups who love the source ma

• What can you say about this type of behavior? Is it not a type of elitism? A us Vs Them, where them have bad taste in games and them are the types that will come over and ruin things here on this forum. It is a touch of xenophobia translated to games and games forum
  • The people acting like this are mostly people feeling threatend that telltale will stop making their favorite franchise. I didn't really like the Borderlands games and the people I played coop with weren't excatly nice but I'll buy TOB when It comes out as It's really an intresting universe.
  • If it was a random game you played with some random person online, yea, that will sour anyones view of the Borderlands players. Playing with randoms has never been one of Borderlands strong points. In fact, its one of the worst parts about the game in my opinion. Ive played a handful of games with randoms. It was a horrid experience. Never did it again and Id never suggest for anyone to do it. I am sorry you had to deal with that.
    It boggles my mind too. No one from the GBX boards are like that, nor anyone else Ive met elsewhere. So I dont expect those nasty people who plague the online play of that game to come here.

The people acting like this are mostly people feeling threatend that telltale will stop making their favorite franchise. I didn't really lik

• Yeah, all communites has it shares of assholes I guess.
    Kitty_Jo posted: »

If it was a random game you played with some random person online, yea, that will sour anyones view of the Borderlands players. Playing with

• I'm actually still very much excited about this game, and really can't wait to see what TT does with it. Unlike some of the "OG" borderlands crowd, what really got me into the franchise was the humor and story that was greatly expanded on during BL2. This isn't too surprising given that it's pretty clear that story became a bigger focus for GBX after the success of BL1 thanks largely in part to the phat stack of DLC they were able to drop down, each a bit more "odd" than the last.

BL2 let them expand the universe even more, bringing in new characters like Tiny Tina and Handsome Jack (whom I consider to be one of the greater video game villains of our time) while exploring on Vault Hunters of yore as well and expanding on the personalities that they'd made for them. I think that Pandora is a place where Telltale can really shine, given the shades of dark (and not so dark) humor that cloaks the universe. One of my favorite developer quotes on the project so far is still in one of the vids when someone asks "You guys got really big off the walking dead game, what makes you think you can handle a comedy franchise like Borderlands?"

"... You know we made monkey island for like ever, right?" Ok, so I'm paraphrasing. But the tone was there.

I see it as a pretty solid win for both companies. TT gets to play in a really odd loosely defined world full of jerkasses and GBX gets to have one of the finest "story based gaming" companies expand even further on their premiere franchise. I think it *can* be done poorly, but it seems really unlikely that all we're going to get is a waste of time.

As a last rant I'd like to tack on that stereotyping BL fans as "FPS" gamers is pretty inaccurate. Hell, even on the GBX boards its hard to really define BL fans given the decent mix of RPG elements into the gameplay. Personally, BL is the *only* FPS I play, and that's mostly thanks to aforementioned RPG elements and the fact that playing through is fun as hell, and is usually pretty damn hilarious.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure borderlands has the right fanbase for people to be interested in it. I'm not talking about everybody (I personally love both telltale and borderlands) but I'm talking about the majority here.
  • First time posting on this side of the forum. Hello! :)

Personally, I would rather reserve my judgement until the Tales of Borderlands gets released.
  • I'm interested in it, I wouldn't have followed the link here from Gearbox's forums if I wasn't. I'm also okay with people not being interested in it. The generalizations being made in this thread are pretty immature, however. It would be just as easy to turn it around and say that this game will be dumbed down to appeal to the same sort of wholesome god fearing Christians that find Sam and Max entertaining.

Sincerely,
    Dumb FPS Kiddie
  • it's sad when people don't understand that telltale was around before walking dead and that they used to be the lucas art adventure game division before becoming telltale.
    Arsonist posted: »

I'm actually still very much excited about this game, and really can't wait to see what TT does with it. Unlike some of the "OG" borderland

• ElliasEllias Banned
    edited May 2014
    wait wtf this thread is being talked about in gearbox's forum?

also you shouldn't talk about immaturity right after you made that unnecessary comment in that last sentence. Hopefully this game doesn't appeal to anymore fps fans since it'd just spawn them more on here, and cause irrelevant drama.. And not the good type.
    Ticklefist posted: »

I'm interested in it, I wouldn't have followed the link here from Gearbox's forums if I wasn't. I'm also okay with people not being interest

• Yeah TT had great games before TWD my fave being Sam and Max
    megamike15 posted: »

it's sad when people don't understand that telltale was around before walking dead and that they used to be the lucas art adventure game division before becoming telltale.

• ElliasEllias Banned
    You think? Borderland series is a fps game, and all of tt's games were literally click and point.. I think it's safe to say that you're correct somewhat. Although I love alot of fps games, borderland series just bores me to death.
    Healoz posted: »

Yeah, I'm not sure borderlands has the right fanbase for people to be interested in it. I'm not talking about everybody (I personally love both telltale and borderlands) but I'm talking about the majority here.

• The Tales from the Borderlands Telltale Community Forum is linked to from the Gearbox forums on the main page.
    Ellias posted: »

wait wtf this thread is being talked about in gearbox's forum? also you shouldn't talk about immaturity right after you made that unne

• edited May 2014
    My statement was immature. Intentionally. I thought I'd illustrated the contrast pretty clearly.

wait wtf this thread is being talked about in gearbox's forum? also you shouldn't talk about immaturity right after you made that unne

• I was very much excited because it was also telltale game..if you love telltale games then you probably love this series
  • ElliasEllias Banned
    ^This is what i'm afraid this game would spawn on here..
    Ticklefist posted: »

My statement was immature. Intentionally. I thought I'd illustrated the contrast pretty clearly.

• edited May 2014
    He raised a decent point, though. People thinking they are better just because they think all FPS games are for kiddies and that Borderlands is like all other FPS games makes me want to go around and hit them in the face. He technically has every right to claim the same about the TTG community. If most people are gonna judge Borderlands just by looking at it, he can judge Telltale by looking at Sam and Max. And to be fair, Sam and Max really does look sucky. I don't know anything about it and I honestly don't even want to. That's the same way most of the people in here are reacting towards Borderlands.

"It looks stupid, I don't need it."

^This is what i'm afraid this game would spawn on here..

• ElliasEllias Banned
    edited May 2014
    I never called any fps gamer a "kiddie". he needs to take that comment and reply to the person who said that rather than me. All I said is that borderlands is a lame series and majority of people here aren't into fps/open worlds. Him saying that "god fearing Christians" was totally unnecessary and I'd say totally illogical and invalid. Majority of the people here aren't even christians rather Athiest, or at least anything but. And plus where the hell did he get that from? Did the fans of sam and max just say they feared god and were Christians? Or was that statement alone just made up to offend some people? Either way, it's fucking stupid to say.

And if the FPS fans are anything, I'd say they are more ragers and people with a big ass ego and seriously disrespectful. I at least, have facts/proof to back that statement up. Just hopefully this game doesn't spawn any more of people like him in this forum, we have enough trolls and spammers and bots to go around..

And BTW, sam and max does look "sucky". But that's only because that game was one of ttg's first games they made. You can totally feel that way, and totally say that. At the end, nobody really gives a shit of what you think. Same thing applies to me as well.

He raised a decent point, though. People thinking they are better just because they think all FPS games are for kiddies and that Borderlands

• ElliasEllias Banned
    I know, but majority of pc gamers are annoying fps gamers and rpg's.
    Jewfreeus posted: »

i'm sorry but call of b00ty and pc gaming race are two different fanbases and the majority of people i know and including myself play telltale games on pc so they are already here

• I LOVE Sam & Max!

Yeah TT had great games before TWD my fave being Sam and Max

• ElliasEllias Banned
    Not really.

I was very much excited because it was also telltale game..if you love telltale games then you probably love this series

• edited May 2014
    I think it's fairly safe to say that not *all* the fanbase will be on board. A lot of posts on the GBX boards equated to "um... why?" at announcement, with another sizable portion showing a healthy amount of joy at the prospect.

Not entirely sure how the series is "just point and click" though. Or if you're going to call it that, how any FPS isn't just... point and click.

Comment just strikes me as odd, especially since we're on telltale's boards....

You think? Borderland series is a fps game, and all of tt's games were literally click and point.. I think it's safe to say that you're correct somewhat. Although I love alot of fps games, borderland series just bores me to death.

• Well yeah. That doesn't mean I can't hyperventilate into a bag getting hyped up for it.

First time posting on this side of the forum. Hello! :) Personally, I would rather reserve my judgement until the Tales of Borderlands gets released.

• ElliasEllias Banned
    We've already seen quick pics, it's point and click and choice based game.. Like all telltale games.

I also see you just joined, please refrain from being rude if you're planning to do so. Maybe try to read guidelines, and when you're done you should tell those peeps back in the other forum.
    Arsonist posted: »

I think it's fairly safe to say that not *all* the fanbase will be on board. A lot of posts on the GBX boards equated to "um... why?" at ann

edited May 2014
    Umm... They haven't done anything wrong though.

Not that I was one of those people expecting Borderlands fans to be rowdy in the first place, but the current group seems very nice anyways.

We've already seen quick pics, it's point and click and choice based game.. Like all telltale games. I also see you just joined, pleas

• edited May 2014
    I actually misread the comment above. I read "tt's" as "its" as in "all it's games are point and click" which was where my confusion came from. With the other negative BL comments my brain thought you were saying that all borderlands games were point and click, which... yeah. As stated would have been a little odd. Apologies for any confusion.

We've already seen quick pics, it's point and click and choice based game.. Like all telltale games. I also see you just joined, pleas

• lol I could tell by your name and profile pic!

I LOVE Sam & Max!

• yea that is where you are so wrong in every possible way bro but I am not going to start an argument with you so lets just leave it at that

I know, but majority of pc gamers are annoying fps gamers and rpg's.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I love Telltale games but i don't think i will buy this game as i have never played Borderlands 2 so i would never understand any references to it which would probably ruin the story for me. I have heard of characters like Handsome Jack but i don't know a single thing about him so if any characters say something funny about him or tell a inside joke i wouldn't get it even it is was hilarious to a big Borderlands fan.

Hopefully Telltale can find a way to make it easier for people who haven't played Borderlands before to get into the story otherwise i will probably skip this game.
  • edited May 2014
    I actually recommend playing BL2 a lot more than playing BL1 - much more rewarding storywise. That being said, if you're super against it, I'm sure there are plot synapses out there, and if you have any questions I can't think of anyone from the GBX boards that's hopped over this way who wouldn't be happy to at least try to answer them for you.

Handsome Jack is my spirit animal though.
    OzzyUK posted: »

I love Telltale games but i don't think i will buy this game as i have never played Borderlands 2 so i would never understand any references

This discussion has been closed.