Windows Registry

I read on HR wiki that you can get the costumes by using WR so I have 2 questions abut that. 1. How do you do it. 2. Will it work on ep 4?

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Heh. Never thought about that. Piddling around in the registry under CURRENT_USER/software/telltalegames/homestarrunner you get:

picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1053

Now, I've collected all the items, and they all show a value as 1. I bet that if you were to copy that exactly how it is (I doubt that it would populate as a 0 until you find it, but I could be wrong) I betcha you'd have all the shirts! I know there's some stuff missing there, I'm still digging for them. Ill edit if I find the rest.
  • edited December 2008
    poohead900 wrote: »
    Heh. Never thought about that. Piddling around in the registry under CURRENT_USER/software/telltalegames/homestarrunner you get:

picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1053

Now, I've collected all the items, and they all show a value as 1. I bet that if you were to copy that exactly how it is (I doubt that it would populate as a 0 until you find it, but I could be wrong) I betcha you'd have all the shirts! I know there's some stuff missing there, I'm still digging for them. Ill edit if I find the rest.

How do you acess it, anyway?
  • edited December 2008
    Y'know, it would prob'ly just be easier to get them in game, but it would be pretty cool to do that.
  • edited December 2008
    How do you acess it, anyway?

Win+r (run) regedit.

Then expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, expand Telltalegames, expand homestarrunner. They're in there.
    Holyxion wrote: »
    Y'know, it would prob'ly just be easier to get them in game, but it would be pretty cool to do that.

Indeed, just collecting the stuff is MUCH easier.

Now, what I want to know -- to all you file nazis out there -- Are there registry strings we can add to get the Wii-specific costumes? I've read that there's some blonde wig that's Wii only... If it was included in the PC build, maybe they can be forced unlocked.

wigZeen?
    hatBlonde?
    machoMullet?

Someone should look into that.

edit: Its not one of them three, I checked.
  • edited December 2008
    Win+r (run) regedit.

Then expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, expand Telltalegames, expand homestarrunner. They're in there.

Indeed, just collecting the stuff is MUCH easier.

Now, what I want to know -- to all you file nazis out there -- Are there registry strings we can add to get the Wii-specific costumes? I've read that there's some blonde wig that's Wii only... If it was included in the PC build, maybe they can be forced unlocked.

wigZeen?
    hatBlonde?
    machoMullet?

Someone should look into that.

edit: Its not one of them three, I checked.

Yeah, the hair is exclusive to the Wii. A telltale games worker said you'll automatically get it in episode 5.
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, but what's it's filename?
  • edited December 2008
    This is all assuming it even exists in the PC builds (doubt it). If not, I know that some people (Dangerzone and ReverendTed?) can disassemble the .ttarch files to read dialogue. If possible (doubt it) someone somewhere might be able to find some of that fancy-schmancy uncompiled readable computerbox code to populate the registry, which could (doubt it) be used to force unlock the hidden stuff so that us PC users can use them without Telltale giving them out as freebies.
  • edited December 2008
    I noticed on mine that they're not all there. For instance, the Carabowdit hair isn't listed. I suppose this means that only the ones that need to be "unlocked" get a reg entry.

Edit:

Well, yes. Yes, it is possible to unlock new things this way, if you know the names.
    Guess who has the Stinkoman hair now?

The .ttarch files are encrypted, and the only person I know of to ever decrypt them was asked politely not to distribute the utility. It's not necessary to decrypt a .ttarch file to get the names, though.

But I'm sorry, guys...I just don't know if I can share the secret. This really delves into "breaking the game" territory, and I don't want to get in to trouble. Edit: Also, after a little more searching, there aren't many others to unlock this way.

However, since it's been confirmed that the Rocker Hair was supposed to be unlocked, and will be unlocked by default in the next Episode - the registry key name for the Rocker Hair is "HairBig".
  • edited December 2008
    I noticed on mine that they're not all there. For instance, the Carabowdit hair isn't listed. I suppose this means that only the ones that need to be "unlocked" get a reg entry.

Edit:

Well, yes. Yes, it is possible to unlock new things this way, if you know the names.
    Guess who has the Stinkoman hair now?

The .ttarch files are encrypted, and the only person I know of to ever decrypt them was asked politely not to distribute the utility. It's not necessary to decrypt a .ttarch file to get the names, though.

But I'm sorry, guys...I just don't know if I can share the secret. This really delves into "breaking the game" territory, and I don't want to get in to trouble. Edit: Also, after a little more searching, there aren't many others to unlock this way.

However, since it's been confirmed that the Rocker Hair was supposed to be unlocked, and will be unlocked by default in the next Episode - the registry key name for the Rocker Hair is "HairBig".

Dude, you totally had to Photoshop that Stinko-wig.
  • edited December 2008

picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1066

And this is why we must all bow to the almighty ReverendTed. Kudos to you, my friend.

edit: You shouldn't share outright "hacks", you're right. But still, some of this stuff you've discovered should come to light! Nothing new, or otherwise accessible in the future, though (like the Stinkoman hair) Just the added hidden regkeys that we all want and need! Either that or give some subtle hints on how to pull out the regkeys. If its ultraedit or notepad I will be ever so pissed. I ain't found a string of coherent un-compiled anything in the .ttarchs using them two.
  • edited December 2008
    But still, some of this stuff you've discovered should come to light! Nothing new, or otherwise accessible in the future, though (like the Stinkoman hair) Just the added hidden regkeys that we all want and need!
    The only other things I found are "new, or otherwise accessible in the future".
  • edited December 2008
    In that case, I'll just stick to the awexome hair. I can unlock the rest in EP5.
  • edited December 2008
    That's CHEATING!
  • edited December 2008
    I think I'll fool around with the hair until episode 5 comes out.

EDIT: It isn't cheating, it's just having good skills of finding stuff in the game early. Nor is it hacking.
  • edited December 2008
    EDIT: It isn't cheating, it's just having good skills of finding stuff in the game early.

Those good skills belong to ReverendTed. I'm still piddling with the .ttarchs to try to figure out where he pulled that from.
  • edited December 2008
    Nor is it hacking.
    Actually, I do think it would fit the description of hacking, if only loosely.
  • edited December 2008
    Was the Hot Coffee Mod for GTA: San Andreas considered a hack? Its pretty much the same thing, unlocking something that wasn't supposed to be unlocked yet.

I'd say you could consider it hacking. Ish.
  • edited December 2008
    Unlocking something that isn't supposed to be unlocked yet is pretty much a good definition of cheating.
  • edited December 2008
    Cheating involves makng the game easier, the costumes are just extras.
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, cheating is only bad when it destroys the challenge, and hacking is only bad when it breaks the game. I see getting bonus content out completely justifiable. I mean, Telltale even said themselves that they were gonna put the big hair in ep. 4 'cept for the deadline, so if the fans put it in after the deadline, it solves the problem, right?
  • edited December 2008
    Ah, but you have made finding the costumes easier, in fact you did not even find them at all, and being rewarded for something you did not accomplish constitutes a form of cheating.

I have a quick question, when you do this, does it affect you awesomeness score, or do you get the costume, but the awesomeness stays down until you find the actual costume?
  • edited December 2008
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    I have a quick question, when you do this, does it affect you awesomeness score, or do you get the costume, but the awesomeness stays down until you find the actual costume?

No, it doesn't modify any of the awesomeness ranks, considering it wasn't supposed to be "found" (like peering into a box) on PC in the first place. Since its going to be auto-unlocked in EP5, I think all that Telltale is going to do is put in that registry key anyways.
  • edited December 2008
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    Ah, but you have made finding the costumes easier, in fact you did not even find them at all, and being rewarded for something you did not accomplish constitutes a form of cheating.

Yeah, if you get the ones that you would normally be able to get in-game then that would fit my definition of cheating, but if you just get the big hair then it's okay. But unless you're a major hacking wiz it's prob'ly easier to just get em in game anyways so it doesn't necessarily make finding them easier.
  • edited December 2008
    Hey ReverendTed,

picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1086

I got it, bwa ha ha ha.
  • edited December 2008
    I bet you can't find the ab-abber shirt/lines that Dangerzone said he found though.
  • edited December 2008
    I bet you can't find the ab-abber shirt/lines that Dangerzone said he found though.
    I couldn't.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm still digging.
  • edited December 2008
    That one sure seems harder to figure the filename for.
  • edited December 2008
    That one sure seems harder to figure the filename for.
    I haven't guessed on any of them - I have a "list" of sorts.
  • edited December 2008
    I haven't guessed on any of them - I have a "list" of sorts.

As do I.

8 bit is enough indeed, eh, Ted?

Edit: I think it IS going to be a guessing game, I came up with one not in the "list"
  • edited December 2008
    He said they were pennings, by the way.

HairBlue: Failed. Didn't get the Stinkohair.

HairStinko: Nada.
  • edited December 2008
    What's funny is that when EP5 does come out, I think I'm gonna spend a good amount of time looking through what is in the .ttarchs for anything Telltale might have missed, if anything at all. Who knows, maybe there IS an actual way to unlock Homestar as a playable character.

Hmm.....

(shifty eyes)
  • edited December 2008
    Well, all I can do is guess for the name, but I managed to guess my way through Where's an egg, so I might as well try, Right? RIGHT!? I AM NOT CRAZY!

EDIT II:
    I. Found. The. Ab. Shirt. I. Win.
  • edited December 2008
    Bah, why'd you have to do that? Now I gotta keep guessing....
  • edited December 2008
    Yes! I got the Stinkoman hair, a-this mornin', a-this morin' ma-ma-ma-ma-ma mornin'!
  • edited December 2008
    This mo'nin', this mo'nin', this mo-, re-mo-,re-mo-mo'nin'! That little song is still pretty cool.

That abshirt sure looks a lot more detailed than I expected, though.
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, I expected it to be the crappy one from suntan.
  • edited December 2008
    Anyone got any other ideas I should try? I'm kinda bored and I've been guessing random thinks (like hatFez) all day, Its quite entertaining.
  • edited December 2008
    Stinkoman hair is called...
    I don't know, you're pretty stupid to click this
    :D
  • edited December 2008
    Stinkoman Hair is called
    Stinkoman Hair
    ingame. You have to guess the filename.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.