Windows Registry

2»

Comments

• edited December 2008
    EDIT II:
    I. Found. The. Ab. Shirt. I. Win.
    For best results, never shower again. Nice find.
    Gaze upon the disturbing countenance that you have wrought, and DESPAIR!

..and now you guys have got me guessing, too.

Edit: Seriously, Telltale - nine exclamation points? Were they all really necessary?
  • edited December 2008
    Edit: Seriously, Telltale - nine exclamation points? Were they all really necessary?[/QUOTE]

You know that if Telltale ever answers that, I wouldn't be surprised if we were all banned for life.
  • edited December 2008
    Ok, first, let's note how this is my first post in this thread. (It will also be my last.)

Second, since you are editing files to access content not normally available in the game play itself... That (by definition) makes this hacking.

Third, telltale is going to have the same stance as me, they acknowledge it, but keep their back turned on it... If they had any stance on it, they would most likely dis-condone it. (F.Y.I. Mess with your registry at your own risk!) Need I state that messing with the registry entries for a game could wreak all sorts of havoc with not just the game, but with your computer itself if you add/change/delete something in the wrong folder by accident.

All you are doing by enabling these costume items is ruining yourself of the experience of finding them in episode 5, Yeah it's "cool" to have/see/find something that nobody else has... But take it from me, in the end... File diving sucks, as I have known about those costume items (and a few others you guys have not found yet) since 101 came out. Keeping quiet about them until now has really sucked. You will get to have them legally in episode 5, just be patient until then. (you will not be disappointed)

I know that nothing I can say will sway anyone. Actually, I am just writing this as a formality so I can quote this and say "I told you so" when a few dozen "Episode 5 crashes when I enter the photo booth" threads pop up in the support forum.
  • edited December 2008
    I just removed all my Bonuses (Except for Big Hair) so when episode 5 comes out, I'll be able to get 'em legit.
  • edited December 2008
    I love this thread. It reminds me of the days on dothackers when it was revealed that most of the Vol 2 party members (And even most of the unique NPCs) were playable in Vol. 1.
  • edited December 2008
    Offtopic Much? (I assume you mean the Game/Manga/Anime series .Hack, Yeah?)

Ontopic: I've stopped my guessing games.
  • edited December 2008
    I just removed all my Bonuses (Except for Big Hair) so when episode 5 comes out, I'll be able to get 'em legit.

I got all my regkeys that have to do with telltale backed up, less of a hassle. Just delete all keys, then repopulate the registry! If something goes awry, just go back through the first 4 and recollect everything.
  • edited December 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    File diving sucks, as I have known about those costume items (and a few others you guys have not found yet) since 101 came out. Keeping quiet about them until now has really sucked.
    Known about, sure. But have you actually *seen* them?

Sure, I'm ruining the experience of finding them legitimately, but I'm gaining the excitement of finding them illegitimately. It's a different kind of game (and for me personally, it's probably more rewarding than the "normal" way).
  • edited December 2008
    You can always just delete them before you play 105 like Ray The Sun did if you want to get them the normal way to.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    For the record, you shouldn't have to delete them for 105. Episodes aren't set up to read their own costume data from the registry. That way you can start a new game and you won't have the costumes remembered from your old game. It is only other episodes that it pulls from the registry.
  • edited December 2008
    I put that into practice yesterday on my Bad Compy (Used to run Win ME), And Will speaks the truth.
  • edited December 2008
    as I have known about those costume items (and a few others you guys have not found yet) since 101 came out.

I'm a bit skeptical on that one, considering when I step into the snap shak in 101, I'm only are awarded the costumes that came with that episode. If what Will said is true:
    Will wrote: »
    Episodes aren't set up to read their own costume data from the registry. (...) It is only other episodes that it pulls from the registry.

Then 101 would be using the registry to make available the costumes logged in the regs. Since our registries all have multiple extra entries (both legit and "found") that don't show up in 101, it makes me want to believe that the costume items weren't available in 101 yet. I'm gonna re-install as standalone just in case the files are recursive, in that the exes only read from the newest ttarches to save space.

edit: Hey 200 posts!
  • edited December 2008
    While the registry trick does not unlock anything in episodes 101-103 (Since I have recently re-played all 4 episodes, and none of the "new" costumes are there) But it is true that most of the costumes are in the earlier episodes (locked away in the files). I was able to view a file list of all the costumes... While I like to dig, I do not hack, so no. I have never actually altered anything to view the costumes in game, but I have seen the art assets that make them (which is almost the same), and known about their existence for some time.

I may be full of shit on occasion, but a liar I am not... Now look at that, you made me post again, argh!

... and my warning about messing with the registry still stands, don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing. Because messing with the wrong thing can really screw up your computer.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh man, I wasn't trying to call you a liar for crying out loud, I'm just saying I was skeptical. I would never test the almighty dangerzone, what with his pulling apart of files to single-handedly compile a "did you try list" before Telltale releases theirs.

But I do get the "found" costumes in 102-103-104, and I was skeptical in the inclusion of later costumes in 101 because of how small and uninformative 101's ttarches were in searching for stuff. (I just figured out how to "read" them--hint: not much need for debuggers). It just seemed funny to me.
    ... and my warning about messing with the registry still stands, don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing. Because messing with the wrong thing can really screw up your computer.

And yeah, you're right about that one, If you're smart about it, there shouldn't be any problems.

Edit: I edited this post so I don't sound like a pansy.
  • edited December 2008
    Right, I can access the registry as a Non-Admin account, and thus, I have no access to System/User files. Making my use of it safe, No danger whatsoever.
    I post alot on this topic. Shows how boring it is here in good 'ol England...
  • edited December 2008
    I got into the registry folder and everything, but when I add something, how do I set its data to (1)? I'm not asking for costume file names, just how to do that.
  • edited December 2008
    Assuming you added a 32-bit DWORD --

Just double click it. Or right click it, then "modify". Keep it as a hex value, and set it to 1.
  • edited December 2008
    Ok, first, let's note how this is my first post in this thread. (It will also be my last.)

Second, since you are editing files to access content not normally available in the game play itself... That (by definition) makes this hacking.

Third, telltale is going to have the same stance as me, they acknowledge it, but keep their back turned on it... If they had any stance on it, they would most likely dis-condone it. (F.Y.I. Mess with your registry at your own risk!) Need I state that messing with the registry entries for a game could wreak all sorts of havoc with not just the game, but with your computer itself if you add/change/delete something in the wrong folder by accident.

All you are doing by enabling these costume items is ruining yourself of the experience of finding them in episode 5, Yeah it's "cool" to have/see/find something that nobody else has... But take it from me, in the end... File diving sucks, as I have known about those costume items (and a few others you guys have not found yet) since 101 came out. Keeping quiet about them until now has really sucked. You will get to have them legally in episode 5, just be patient until then. (you will not be disappointed)

I know that nothing I can say will sway anyone. Actually, I am just writing this as a formality so I can quote this and say "I told you so" when a few dozen "Episode 5 crashes when I enter the photo booth" threads pop up in the support forum.

Are you like supposed to be the self proclaimed, I Told You So guy? Cause you're totally acting like you know everything, and it sounds really bad. No offense though.
  • edited December 2008
    Isn't I Told You So Guy the sidekick of Hit-Enter-Too-Soon Man?
  • edited December 2008
    Naw, man, he's Killingyouguy's wimpy depressed younger brother.
  • edited December 2008
    Anyone think about trying Scalding Lake? I haven't. But we'll see in a matter of minutes.
  • edited December 2008
    Since the Ab-Abber didn't come out in EP5, I figured it wouldn't be breaking the game to post how to get it in the hints section:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7452
  • edited April 2009
    what about the roman helmet in Dangeresque 3
  • edited April 2009
    Isn't that one of the ones which is automatically in the booth if you by it on PC? I don't remember though, it was quite awhile ago.
  • edited April 2009
    Yes that's the one I'm talking about. If you find out any thing, send in my way
Sign in to comment in this discussion.