Telltale's consumer based "Hint's and Tips"

2»

Comments

• edited December 2004
    Yup EMI was a great Lucasarts style adventure game, not a good monkey island game, but a good old classic LA style adventure game and YES those " I want to beat the crap out of the EMI team " posts ARE really pissing me off X-(. Damn this place is turning into BitchnBojo forums #2
  • edited December 2004
    In my opinion EMI was a great game, Adventure and Monkey Island. It wasn't a bad game just the least good of the series. The game still rocked!
    I started playing the games again recently and EMI is the one you have to think most with. The other 3 games are easy when you finished them a few times because you know all the puzzles and solutions. In EMI you are always stuck a little longer because of the monkey combat, which everyone thinks was bad, but I think was good. The thing I didn' like about the game was the fact that it wasn't point 'n click.
  • edited December 2004
    I had to play it again because I missed the whole "frankenstein" thing.
  • edited December 2004
    there was some sort of suposed glitch in the game where if you did it in the wrong order you couldn't solve the puzzles. that pissed me off a bit since I didn't have a save anywhere near that and it was before that money kombat thing which took some time.
  • edited December 2004
    There was that in sam and max 2, where you didn't try to ride the cone of tragedy untill max was in the stuck in the golfing box. Sam refuses to ride it. Ohhh, and I didn't think Monkey Combat was bad. It gave the game a bit of kick which it needed.
  • edited December 2004
    There was that in sam and max 2, where you ...

Nice freudian slip, lol...
    I wish that was in Sam and Max 2!
  • edited January 2005
    i wish that game excisted :D
  • edited January 2005
    I was being harsh, but with good reason.
    Although Monkey 4 is a great game with some good mini games (Monkey Kombat and Murray Ball) and hilarious dialogue, I really think it's a bit crappy compared to their other games (Grim Fandango and Sam & Max for example) - the acting was bad compared to COMI's, there were plenty of glitches, the story seemed to be worse than the other MI games, with plot holes galore and I can't help but feel cheated when the PS2 version has high-res models/graphics, less bugs/glitches and an improved Monkey Kombat interface (although the PS2 version being superior was probably LucasArts' fault).
    Don't get me wrong, I do love the game it's just that it falls below the high standard marked by other LucasArts adventures and indeed the other MIs.
    And if the guys at Telltale get the rights to MI5 they must hire Ron Gilbert - he said in a recent interview that he has to make it.
  • edited January 2005
    The acting was bad?!? The hell? EMI had, bar none, some of the greatest voice work I've ever heard in a video game. Got any specific reason as to why you think it's bad compared to CMI?

If EMI was buggy, Grim Fandango was a bug-infested wasteland.

I can't argue with the story, as that's an opinion of yours which I don't expect to change. Needless to say I've had no problems with the story nor can I find any plot holes.

I'm not really sure what you mean by complaining about the Ps2 port being better as if that is somehow an attack against the game itself, but I'll humor you. Higher-res graphics? It is true that the polygon count for character models was increased, but the resolution is the same. Better Monkey Kombat interface? The interface is the same; the improvement is that you now have easy access to view the stances you have learned. More bug fixes? Perhaps, but I'm sure it's not a substantial improvement over the 1.1 patch, unless you've got some proof to the contrary.

Ron Gilbert wants to make Mi5. Yeah, I could have told you that. He wanted to make MI3 and MI4 too, but he didn't, because he can't. It's not going to happen, so stop trying to belittle the efforts of the EMI team just because it wasn't headed by the guy you wanted, even though veterans Stemmle and Clark (who'd been with the company since freakin' 1990) were completely capable of tackling the project. There's no one I want more to make a Monkey Island than Ron Gilbert, but there's a little something called reality that we sometimes have to face.
  • edited January 2005
    In my opinion, (and I know you all care), EMI was a great game. It was the weakest of the Monkey Island games, but still great.
  • edited January 2005
    The acting was bad?!? The hell? EMI had, bar none, some of the greatest voice work I've ever heard in a video game. Got any specific reason as to why you think it's bad compared to CMI?
    I feel that some (not all) of the acting in EMI seemed like that in the newer Simpson's episodes - God awful! Don't get me wrong though I like a most of the acting in it, it's just that COMI's seemed to be of higher quality.
    If EMI was buggy, Grim Fandango was a bug-infested wasteland.
    I can't raelly comment on that, since the only bug I ever encountered was Glottis' posessed jaw in hardware mode.
    I can't argue with the story, as that's an opinion of yours which I don't expect to change. Needless to say I've had no problems with the story nor can I find any plot holes.
    Does the whole Herman Toothrot debacle mean anything to you?
    I'm not really sure what you mean by complaining about the Ps2 port being better as if that is somehow an attack against the game itself, but I'll humor you.
    I did say that it was probably LucasArts' fault for rushing the PC version to shelves, saying "We can just patch it later."
    Higher-res graphics? It is true that the polygon count for character models was increased, but the resolution is the same.
    My mistake - I though it ran at 800x600 on ps2.
    Better Monkey Kombat interface? The interface is the same; the improvement is that you now have easy access to view the stances you have learned.
    That table is part of the interface.
    More bug fixes? Perhaps, but I'm sure it's not a substantial improvement over the 1.1 patch, unless you've got some proof to the contrary.
    I do have proof: Have you ever seen the game crash on a ps2? Have you seen the ps2 version slow to a crawl for no apparent reason?
    Ron Gilbert wants to make Mi5. Yeah, I could have told you that. He wanted to make MI3 and MI4 too, but he didn't, because he can't. It's not going to happen, so stop trying to belittle the efforts of the EMI team just because it wasn't headed by the guy you wanted, even though veterans Stemmle and Clark (who'd been with the company since freakin' 1990) were completely capable of tackling the project. There's no one I want more to make a Monkey Island than Ron Gilbert, but there's a little something called reality that we sometimes have to face.
    I agree completely that Stemmle and Clark did a great job, I just think it pales in comparison to what their former co-workers did on the other 3 and their own previous works. (I loved COMI, btw which had nothing to do with Gilbert.) And how does quoting an interview as proof make me seem delusional?
    Anyway, I thought this was the perfect place to critique their games - this topic is "Telltale's consumer based Hint's and Tips" after all.
    Wow. My longest and stupidest post in any forum ever. </rant>
  • edited January 2005
    I feel that some (not all) of the acting in EMI seemed like that in the newer Simpson's episodes - God awful! Don't get me wrong though I like a most of the acting in it, it's just that COMI's seemed to be of higher quality.

Way to completely ignore the question.
    can't raelly comment on that, since the only bug I ever encountered was Glottis' posessed jaw in hardware mode.

Give me a break. As great as Grim is, its first-time engine had glitches. Does the word "elevator" mean anything to you? I'm not saying that the problems are game-ruining or that it made me think any less of the game, but EMI's engine is an improvement (and I'm referring to bug-fixes).
    Does the whole Herman Toothrot debacle mean anything to you?

Why don't you explain it to me.
    I did say that it was probably LucasArts' fault for rushing the PC version to shelves, saying "We can just patch it later."

I'm pretty sure that the ps2 version was not being worked on at the PC version's launch.
    My mistake - I though it ran at 800x600 on ps2.

The Ps2 version ran at the same resolution that the PC version did.
    That table is part of the interface.

The point is that it doesn't change how Monkey Kombat works, nor does it somehow simplify the puzzle.
    I do have proof: Have you ever seen the game crash on a ps2? Have you seen the ps2 version slow to a crawl for no apparent reason?

Yes, I have seen the ps2 version crash. No, I haven't seen the ps2 version slow to a crawl for no apparent reason sorta like I've never seen it occur with the PC version, either.
    And how does quoting an interview as proof make me seem delusional?

Because it's not proof of anything. Anyone can want to make Monkey5.
    Anyway, I thought this was the perfect place to critique their games - this topic is "Telltale's consumer based Hint's and Tips" after all.

Hey, that's cool. I just thought this was the perfect place to critique your (in my opinion) rather shallow critique of what I believe to be a great game.
  • edited January 2005
    The whole Hurman Toothrot thing was weird. In Monkey island Hurman toothrot came to monkey island by boat with his ship mate and sent back the ship to Melee island with a crew of monkeys,(he wasn't on it). In Monkey Island 2 H.T. Marley came to monkey island when he was ship recked in a boat race around the coast of america. In monkey island 4 it turns out that H. T. Marley and Herman Toothrot are the same person, and the way he got to monkey island was a boat race around Australia, (which makes no sense seeing as the Carribean is no where near Australia, so how could he travel all that way?)
  • edited January 2005
    It does make sense if you do some thinking and consider what all four games claim. I've already written this in another forum but what the hell:

H.T. Marley (grandfather of Elaine) was the beloved governor of the tri-island area, and decided to retire. As H.T. says in EMI he was lured out of retirement by the thrill of a boat race off the coast of Australia (MI2 never claims that he sails off the coast of America, but that he was in the America's Cup Race. If you're assuming this means America, you may want to perform some research of the event). Anyway, as H.T. explains, the night before he prepared for the race by becoming completely drunk off grog. At this time he also met a miserable Australian land developer named Ozzie Mandrill. To cheer Ozzie up, Marley told him about his adventures on the high seas, and well as the lucrative developing opportunities of the Caribbean. Even worse, as a result of being drunk, he also accidentally revealed secrets that men would kill for, such as Big Whoop and the Ultimate Insult. During the race the next day, Ozzie decided to push Marley into a freakish whirlpool (which we can assume was created by LeChuck since he says so in MI3. Apparently he merely left Marley for dead when he fell into the whirlpool and never discovered that he survived.)

So far there isn't a problem, right? I'm getting this all straight from the infamous EMI cutscene. Marley continues by saying that instead of drowning him, the whirlpool threw him and his broken ship on the other side of the world (one common misconception people have is that he is referring to monkey island, which is never implied). When Marley woke up, he had no idea who he was or where he came from, and took the name Herman Toothrot after the letters on his accordian which was apparently with him. Marley lived for some time under this false identity, and eventually decided to sail off as first-mate with a friend on the Sea Monkey (courtesy of Stan) to discover the Secret of Monkey Island. For details of their misadventures, see the captain's log in MI1. Anyway, Herman and the Captain become stranded, the captain accidentally hangs himself, and a crew of chimps apparently returns the Sea Monkey back to melee island, where Guybrush buys it. Now, at the end of MI1 (assuming you sink your ship, which EMI depends on what with the crew having been left on MI), Herman reveals that he has his own ship and returns Guybrush to Melee. Herman then returns to MI, because he decides that he wants to become a full-time hermit (as he explains in EMI when you engage in some dialogue trees). In fact, as we discover when Guybrush asks Herman about his ship, he admits that he destroyed it in order to become a real hermit. This also explains why he was around to remember the cannibals leaving, the amousement park, and dormant volcano erupting, etc. When Guybrush arrives on MI in EMI, Marley is in even a greater case of amnesia thanks to a coconut that had recently hit him on the head. When Guybrush hits him with that, he remembers a milk bottle that hit him, and when Guybrush hits him with the milk bottle Marley is able to remember everything about his Herman identity. When Marley vaguely remembers an accordion, Guybrush finds it, wacks him on the head with it, and the entire H.T. Marley personality is awakened.

You mentioned that Marley couldn't have been in the Caribbean for the boat race. So? First of all, he didn't have to be in Australia to hear about it and secondly, it doesn't even matter because he was in retirement when it happened, so why would he be confined to the Caribbean? You also claim that MI2 says that Marley was stranded on Monkey Island after the boat race. That isn't true.
  • edited January 2005
    I don't like Lucasarts. I do like LucasFilm Games though ;)
    I'd like to see TellTale get the license for and make Monkey Island 5 seeing as Lucasarts sure as hell ain't going to do it.
    Curse of Monkey Island rocked! the game i'd really like to see a sequel of however is 'the neverhood'. goddamn that game rocked. I'm aware there was a sequel called skullmonkeys but that game was a horrible, horrible excuse for a game that should ever have been made and was a disservice to the neverhood
  • edited January 2005
    The Neverhood sure is one of the best games I ever played, it slipped my mind when doing the 'Favorite game' thread. The music is nearly as good as in Grim Fandango.

The other two games (Skullmonkeys, Boombots) by those guys aren't good (because they're no adventures but kick/hit/jump-thingies).

I guess we'll never see any sequel to the Neverhood - the guys tried to get their own company running but obviously failed in doing it ( http://www.monkeytropolis.com/ - you can still haxxor into the old site via this link: http://www.monkeytropolis.com/about.html ).

http://www.neverhood.co.uk/ is a good tribute to the game.
  • edited January 2005
    never heard of neverhood
This discussion has been closed.