Why is Telltale making a Borderlands game?

I mean doing Episodes for The Walking Dead Franchise or Fables comics was plausible
both offer good story telling and characters
But Borderlands (and I'm not saying that the direction is bad just that it doesn't suit Telltale) is focused on gameplay, collecting stuff, shooting...
It doesn't have a good story or characters Be honest to yourselfs why do you play Borderlands?

I understand why they are making Game Of Thrones Episodes as this IP is similar to the previous
But instead of wasting resources on Borderlands they should focus on more Walking Dead and Wolf Among us as well as Game Of Thrones

Comments

• cause theyre buddies with gearbox studios and they all got drunk and thought it was a good idea....good enough for me

• Because Why not?

• I agree I wish they did something else or continue the wolf among us make a new season, Borderlands im not excited for

• They can't handle 4 games. That's why.

Because Why not?

• edited July 2014

Because Borderlands has a shit-ton of lore to it, that TellTale could definitely do a lot with. This IS the same company who managed to make a game series based on Homestar Runner. If they can do that, they can do anything.

• What's wrong with them trying new things?

Before The Walking Dead season 1 came out everyone was bashing it saying it was gonna suck ass and look how that turned out. IT WAS GAME OF THE YEAR!

All I'm saying is give this game a chance.

• cough 3 games now cough

They can't handle 4 games. That's why.

• Because they want to?

And the humor is perhaps the biggest draw of the Borderlands games, when it comes to characters/story. If you've not played Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey island, Strong Bad, then Telltale can do humor rather well. They're not just capable of writing dark, mature storylines. :)

• edited July 2014

Telltale are the master of comedy. They even made us cry back then. I want to laugh my ass off again in a telltale game. Lines from TWAU and TWD made me smirk and giggle but what they can do with borderlands in terms of "dark humor" is endless.

Rob_K posted: »

Because they want to? And the humor is perhaps the biggest draw of the Borderlands games, when it comes to characters/story. If you've no

• I miss the days of Sam and Max...

Telltale are the master of comedy. They even made us cry back then. I want to laugh my ass off again in a telltale game. Lines from TWAU and TWD made me smirk and giggle but what they can do with borderlands in terms of "dark humor" is endless.

• Season 4 could still happen..sob sob

I miss the days of Sam and Max...

• Oh what I would give to hear "You crack me up little buddy!" one more time!

Season 4 could still happen..sob sob

• There's always another poker night...That's something right? IT'S NOT THE SAME!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh what I would give to hear "You crack me up little buddy!" one more time!

• I guess we'll never see our favorite Dog and Rabbit again unless they're playing poker........

I'm going to fucking cry

There's always another poker night...That's something right? IT'S NOT THE SAME!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa

• If you start crying I will ;.;

I guess we'll never see our favorite Dog and Rabbit again unless they're playing poker........ I'm going to fucking cry

• I can't hold it in...

Alt text

If you start crying I will ;.;

• lol that song is very fitting right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=ZGes7FDmHAM

• Indeed :(

lol that song is very fitting right now.

• i'ma wait till the whole season is complete.

• It doesn't have a good story or characters Be honest to yourselfs why do you play Borderlands?

I've never played the original Borderlands, so I can't speak of that one, but I have however played 2. I thought Borderlands 2 had a surprisingly good story, a great sense of humor, and an extremely colorful cast of fun characters. And hell, I'd even say that Handsome Jack is quite possibly my favorite villain ever. It's totally a universe I want to see more of.

• Well I played both Borderlands and Borderlands 1 hardly had a story but it still had the humor and interesting characters.

THEN I PLAYED BORDERLANDS 2 AND I WAS BLOWN AWAY!

Like you said it had a great story and IMO was even funnier then the first one cough Mr.Torgue cough

So yeah I'm really looking forward to this game for the story and the humor.

Deadpoolian posted: »

It doesn't have a good story or characters Be honest to yourselfs why do you play Borderlands? I've never played the original Border

• The lore of Borderlands is worth going further into. The more and more I keep hearing about this game, the more I think that Telltale is making the right decision to make a game about it.

• edited July 2014

come on lets be honest here you are not complaining cause you think borderlands has no story cause since the 2nd came out it does have one in fact all the people complaining think telltale are not capable of making a game focused on humor instead of dark moments well news flash before twd telltale were making games that focused on humor and that were family friendly no dark moments they are capable of making a non dark game so calm down maybe instead of complaining about wait times you should go and play the sam and max games or back to the future

• yeah but TWD and TWAU are much better games than Sam and max or back to the future
    I'm sure they didn'T win GOTY now did they?

Jewfreeus posted: »

come on lets be honest here you are not complaining cause you think borderlands has no story cause since the 2nd came out it does have one i

• you don't get the point don't you? this has nothing to do with which game is better those were great games in their own way you might not see it cause you might have never played them so you see them as old shitty prototypes of telltale's future games but they are great telltale are capable of making a game that isn't dark and the proof is right in front of everyone I think you just hate borderlands in general by the sounds of it and thats ok but that does not mean that telltale are not able to make a great game based on it so far all of the previews that were shown to people in private conferences at e3 have been positive

Journey95 posted: »

yeah but TWD and TWAU are much better games than Sam and max or back to the future I'm sure they didn'T win GOTY now did they?

• Just because TWD won GOTY doesn't mean it's superior! It's just a title that gets forgotten a year or 2 later.

I mean COD games have won GOTY before but that doesn't mean there amazing games now does it?

yeah but TWD and TWAU are much better games than Sam and max or back to the future I'm sure they didn'T win GOTY now did they?

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2014

They did actually. Like this one for the first Telltale Sam & Max game, or this one for Sam & Max: Season Two, or this one for Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, or this one for Back to the Future: The Game. Not to mention this one for Tales of Monkey Island. Telltale has been making games that have been critically praised long before The Walking Dead came out.

• People give the Borderlands universe way too little credit. As already stated a lot of times before, Telltale first started by making lighthearted and fun games like Sam & Max, and as @Jennifer said, contrary to popular belief they have been critically praised before TWD came out.

So what if Borderlands is a first person shooter? The second game has quite a good story, and I'm more than happy that Telltale will focus on the story, rather than the FPS elements. Also, this may come as a shock to some people, but Borderlands has a lot more lore than The Walking Dead has, and if the Walking Dead is any indication....I'd say this could turn out to be a great game.

And if you are interested, someone here on the community made a thread about the Borderlands lore. You can read it here

• Why did I play Borderlands 2? Because it had a good story and interesting characters. The gameplay wasn't bad either, I'm damn good at FPS.

• True. I'm barely convinced they can handle one game.

cough 3 games now cough

• edited July 2014

TWD and TWAU got so much hate before they both came out, and TWD ended up becoming GOTY and lots of people are begging for a S2 of TWAU. Don't hate on it unless you tried it buddy, and if there's one thing we can conclude about Telltale is that they always manage to exceed our expectations for games.

• I had my doubt on Tales of Borderlands at first. But the more I hear about it, the more interesting it seems.

We have two main characters who are both playable and they both looks interesting. One of them is a wanted criminal and the other looks like he knows his way around technology. They seems like a very good and interesting partners in crime. Also the setting for now looks like a good old western and it makes me think of Firefly which is a beloved show of mine.

So, during Steam summer sale, I have brought Borderlands 2 Game of the Year, because I want to know more about the setting. I can't wait to get back home, install it and play it (My current location has bad internet.)

So...All in all, I am optimistic about the game.

• They can handle their games, they might have prolonged release dates and shorter episode lengths but people still like the games and pay for it and they make a profit, not to mention they have a growing fandom for each of their point and click games... so I think they handle their games pretty well... just saying :p

True. I'm barely convinced they can handle one game.

• I'm actually pretty curious to see how TFTB turns out. So I wouldn't diss quite yet.

• I'm more interested in GoT but this looks pretty cool I've never played a Borderlands game so I could play this.

• I don't doubt anything Telltale makes anymore. If you would of told me a year ago that I'd enjoy a game about fables, I'd laugh in your face. Never played any Borderland games (manly because hate FPS's) but im gonna give this a shot just because it's Telltale.

• Exactly. I'm trying to think of a bad Telltale game, and all I can think of is...Those CSI games. But they weren't bad, just...really boring. Or...that awful Jurassic Park game. (And, Telltale's reaction to the negative coverage didn't help them.)

Jennifer posted: »

They did actually. Like this one for the first Telltale Sam & Max game, or this one for Sam & Max: Season Two, or this one for Sam

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2014

Yeah, the CSI games were good at what they were, but you really had to like that type of show with the Hollywood style crime tools and ham-fisted delivery. I like CSI: Las Vegas (during the Grissom years at least), so I liked Telltale's CSI games a lot. They stuck to the source material so closely that if you didn't like that type of show, there's no way you'd like the game.

As for Jurassic Park, I liked that too, but I'm a big fan of QTE arcade games like Dragon's Lair or The Act. You really have to know what you're going in to, since it's nothing but quick time events with a few short moments of casual exploration. If that kind of game doesn't bother you, Jurassic Park is actually pretty good for it's genre. But, like CSI, you have to be a fan of the genre, and if you aren't, you definitely won't like it.

The CSI games, Jurassic Park, and Law and Order (since this one sticks to the source material so much too, just like CSI) are pretty much the only Telltale games that are only for a select niche of people. The other games are pretty accessible to everyone, as long as you like the style of comedy/drama and/or don't mind the violence/obscenity of that particular franchise.

Mrbman9001 posted: »

Exactly. I'm trying to think of a bad Telltale game, and all I can think of is...Those CSI games. But they weren't bad, just...really boring. Or...that awful Jurassic Park game. (And, Telltale's reaction to the negative coverage didn't help them.)

• Anybody remember telltale texas hold em?! A.K.A beta poker night Eh if I could that would be telltales worst game but that was just a tech demo for the telltale tool.

Jennifer posted: »

Yeah, the CSI games were good at what they were, but you really had to like that type of show with the Hollywood style crime tools and ham-f

Sign in to comment in this discussion.