Why is Telltale making a Borderlands game?

2»

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2014

It was pretty much exactly like Poker Night 1, except with original characters instead of licensed ones. I thought the humor was pretty good in it, especially if you were a LucasArts fan before (that's the second biggest mustache I've ever seen!), which most people at the time that played it were, since Telltale was formed from the ashes of the cancelled Sam & Max: Freelance Police team.

It's like the Poker Night games too, the joy is in the conversations, and you get to hear a lot more the more you play it. I thought Theodore Dudebrough was hilarious, and I'd still love to see a spinoff Dudebrough game.

Anybody remember telltale texas hold em?! A.K.A beta poker night Eh if I could that would be telltales worst game but that was just a tech demo for the telltale tool.

• edited July 2014

I thought it was funny that they brought a character from that game into Sam & Max. Forgot his name but despite that I really didn't care for it. I got it off steam for like 2 bucks just to see how it was but I just didn't paticularly enjoy the dialouge or characters. But I love poker night for some strange reason...shrugs

Jennifer posted: »

It was pretty much exactly like Poker Night 1, except with original characters instead of licensed ones. I thought the humor was pretty goo

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2014

Yeah, Leonard Stakecharmer (Boris Krinkle in Telltale Texas Hold'em) showed up in Sam & Max Season One. It was funny the way they did it, since he was told in Telltale Texas Hold'em that he didn't look like a Boris Krinkle and he looked more like a Leonard Snakechalmer, and then Max telling him the exact opposite when he used the name Leonard Snakechalmer in Sam & Max Season One. I love it when Telltale does stuff like that. :P

The Poker Night games do have the benefit of having characters with years of back stories to pull from, whereas in Telltale Texas Hold'em they had to create backstories for the characters (Theodore Dudebrough actually has a pretty significant backstory, even to the point that Telltale created a fictional homepage for him), and base most of the humor off of the staff's past games and the movies they liked. It's a different kind of humor because of that, so I can see why you liked Poker Night but didn't like Telltale Texas Hold'em.

There's still a lot of potential in the Telltale Texas Hold'em characters though, since they (especially Dudebrough and Boris/Leonard) have been fleshed out pretty well as characters. I'd love to see a new, completely original, game from Telltale, and they've got the perfect basis for one right there. It would be a shame to see all of that effort making backstories for the characters go to a complete waste.

I thought it was funny that they brought a character from that game into Sam & Max. Forgot his name but despite that I really didn't car

• I'm all for an original game from telltale. :)

Yeah, Leonard Stakecharmer (Boris Krinkle in Telltale Texas Hold'em) showed up in Sam & Max Season One. It was funny the way they did i

• Um, Leonard Stakecharmer, is his name, not Snakecharmer.

I remember that, because when I was 8 I played Sam and Max almost religiously. I was one of those people who were not a big fan of Walking Dead at first, because the little 8 year old inside me would throw a fit, and be like "No. Telltale makes funny games. Not serious ones."

Yeah, Leonard Stakecharmer (Boris Krinkle in Telltale Texas Hold'em) showed up in Sam & Max Season One. It was funny the way they did i

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2014

yeah but TWD and TWAU are much better games than Sam and max

Subjective, highly, highly subjective. I myself happen to think that Telltale has never done anything even remotely as excellent as The Devil's Playhouse. That's just my opinion.

As to the 50+ institutions who are deciding on their individual "game of the year award", well...

Journey95 posted: »

yeah but TWD and TWAU are much better games than Sam and max or back to the future I'm sure they didn'T win GOTY now did they?

• edited July 2014

"the Devil's Playhouse" is actually my favorite season of Sam & Max and is one of my favorite games of all time. :<

Vainamoinen posted: »

yeah but TWD and TWAU are much better games than Sam and max Subjective, highly, highly subjective. I myself happen to think that Te

• Alt text

Only half joking... but let's be real... the main reason that any game company or any type of media producing company makes a product is to make money. It doesn't mean they don't have to enjoy doing it however.

• Man I still hope they ditch Borderlands and instead make another season of Wolf Among Us
    and The Walking dead
    because they are so much better than this crappy ego shooter

• If they already showed their Borderlands game at last month's E3, it's highly probable that they're NOT going to drop this game.

Man I still hope they ditch Borderlands and instead make another season of Wolf Among Us and The Walking dead because they are so much better than this crappy ego shooter

• edited July 2014

Alt text

Wow this guy you just can't reason with him!

Man I still hope they ditch Borderlands and instead make another season of Wolf Among Us and The Walking dead because they are so much better than this crappy ego shooter

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Or, maybe, just maybe, you could wait until they release the game to judge whether or not it holds up against any of Telltale's other work.

• He's your occasional, average bandit from Pandora.

Wow this guy you just can't reason with him!

• I remember when people said Telltale shouldn't be making Wolf Among Us because The Walking dead is so much better. Now look where we are.

edited July 2014

Yep, and here's the very first thread in the walking dead section:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/22918/a-petition-and-protest-against-this-game

mosfet posted: »

I remember when people said Telltale shouldn't be making Wolf Among Us because The Walking dead is so much better. Now look where we are.

• Now that is plain silly, that gumby guy should feel embarrassed, wherever he is now.

dojo32161 posted: »

Yep, and here's the very first thread in the walking dead section: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/22918/a-petition-and-protest-against-this-game

• I know I'm probably gonna get some hate for this but I don't think it's gonna work at all. Even if it is Telltale.

• all the previews shown at private viewings at e3 have all been positive so it IS working people thought the same with twd when that was announced and look at it now

Cyber-Funk posted: »

I know I'm probably gonna get some hate for this but I don't think it's gonna work at all. Even if it is Telltale.

• Yeah but TWD comics were purely story driven, whereas Borderlands is just an FPS.

Jewfreeus posted: »

all the previews shown at private viewings at e3 have all been positive so it IS working people thought the same with twd when that was announced and look at it now

• Oh hey, another one of these. I'm primarily a BL2 fan because the comedy and plot in the story actually caught me in a way that few games have in the last ten years. Special mention goes to Jack, who looks to play a very prominent role in this game (at least in some capacity). The pandoraverse is a wide ranging world of crazy witches, psychotic bandits, and wildly inappropriate punchlines.

From a business perspective -
    For Gearbox, they get to give their premiere franchise some expanded story work by the best in the business.
    For Telltale, they get to work with a very successful gaming franchise and get back to writing some humor before the long, hard road that is sure to be Game of Thrones (and of course, carrying on TWD).

I really don't see how this is a bad thing for either company, or us, the fans.

Here, take a look at this thread, there's actually a surprising amount of story in Borderlands they could work with.

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/72914/an-introduction-to-the-borderlands-universe-and-lore-spoilers-from-bl1-2

Cyber-Funk posted: »

Yeah but TWD comics were purely story driven, whereas Borderlands is just an FPS.

• Yeah, from what i've seen since the announcement of Borderlands telltale version is that they rush other games to make this. I mean you saw how rushed TWAU ep 4-5 was. In the case of TWD they just cut the length of the episode which is a baaad thing (atleast for me)..

prink34320 posted: »

They can handle their games, they might have prolonged release dates and shorter episode lengths but people still like the games and pay for

• To be honest, I am glad that Telltale decided to write a possible more light-hearted and humorous story after The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us.

Arsonist posted: »

Oh hey, another one of these. I'm primarily a BL2 fan because the comedy and plot in the story actually caught me in a way that few games h

• edited July 2014

At first I was a bit skeptical but now I'm really interested to see what they can do with it. I have actually played both Borderlands games and they have hell of a lot of colorful characters, interesting lore, funny dialogue, etc. After my initial confusion with a FPS game turned to a Telltale game series, I now see the potential. They have a chance to develop and explore the universe of Borderlands in an unique way. It all depends whether they manage to handle it. Borderlands is a very wacky place and its humor is a central part of the game series. However, it's also rather brutal and can have serious themes at the same time. After seeing what Telltale managed to do with Wolf Among Us (which I loved), I actually have a good feeling about this. I liked how TWAU was kind of "crazy" but dark at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to capture the feel of Borderlands. They have a nice playground to play with. It remains to be seen how they actually play with it.

• I was sceptical about TWAU. But that game.. oh god it was so fantastic! That universe of fables immediately sucked me in.
    So i'm looking forward to explore this game as well. Even though i know absolutely nothing about the Borderlands games.

I'd check out this thread if you'd like to know more about the lore in Borderlands, it gets updates with people's suggestions:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/72914/an-introduction-to-the-borderlands-universe-and-lore-spoilers-from-bl1-2

Anyway, Borderlands is kind of like a comedic space western. It actually has a surprising amount of story potential.

SoMuchSass posted: »

I was sceptical about TWAU. But that game.. oh god it was so fantastic! That universe of fables immediately sucked me in. So i'm looking forward to explore this game as well. Even though i know absolutely nothing about the Borderlands games.

• woah thanks :) There's a lot to read, but i'm going to check it out. We could use some good comedy after TWD..

dojo32161 posted: »

I'd check out this thread if you'd like to know more about the lore in Borderlands, it gets updates with people's suggestions: http://www

• Despite their recent games, Telltale are by no means a solely storytelling-focused company. Before, their most notable games were probably games like Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island, which were mostly focused on comedy and light-heartedness (ToMI got dark towards the end, however, but was hardly this big "story" game). And Borderlands has a lot of light-hearted fun.

Combine that with the cartoony artstyle Telltale are a fan of, and really, it's an obvious fit, even if the actual gameplay is changed.

• Telltale is taking a game with s good concept and no story and giving it one. Hopefully the creators will then see the potential the game has. It is a shame, borderlands has a good concept but is not a good game because it has no story.

• edited August 2014

borderlands 1 had no story.. borderlands 2 on the other hand does and it has one of the greatest villains in video games

sunfell posted: »

Telltale is taking a game with s good concept and no story and giving it one. Hopefully the creators will then see the potential the game has. It is a shame, borderlands has a good concept but is not a good game because it has no story.

• BL1 did have a story, though I don't blame anyone over it's quality since the game was largely without voice acting and the story was delivered entirely through quest dialogue boxes.

The DLC from the first game had much more story, though obviously the second game takes the cake.

Anyway, I still dunno why people are posting in this thread.

Jewfreeus posted: »

borderlands 1 had no story.. borderlands 2 on the other hand does and it has one of the greatest villains in video games

• Exactly! I'm excited because it's made by TT. I'm just going to go into this without knowing what's going to happen.

What's wrong with them trying new things? Before The Walking Dead season 1 came out everyone was bashing it saying it was gonna suck ass and look how that turned out. IT WAS GAME OF THE YEAR! All I'm saying is give this game a chance.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.