What language(s) do you speak?

BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
edited July 2014 in General Chat

I speak English, a little Spanish and I'm taking my second level of Arabic this summer. The class is really long (4 1/2 hours every weekday), but it's going pretty well.

ana atekellem al-ingelizia wa l-isbania wa l-3arabiya.

What languages can you speak? English? Russian? Elvish?

Comments

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

English (duh) and French.

• Like a true 'Murican, I speak English, and like a true Cajun descendant, I know French.

And what is this

2ta7ad

supposed to mean?

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited July 2014

It means "I speak" in Arabish, which is a way to quickly write arabic on a regular QWERTY keyboard. 2 is the symbol for hamza and 7 is the symbol for a sharp H sound that doesn't exist in English. In academia it would probably be written as 'ataHad. Come to think of it, I don't think I need to write out the hamza, whatevs.

I also got the word wrong, it's actually atekellem. Oops.

Like a true 'Murican, I speak English, and like a true Cajun descendant, I know French. And what is this 2ta7ad supposed to mean?

• Portuguese, English, and a little Spanish and Italian.

• Portuguese, Swedish, English, and a little bit of French and Spanish.

• Ah. I'd like to learn Arabic or Hebrew one day. IDK which to choose...

BigBlindMax posted: »

It means "I speak" in Arabish, which is a way to quickly write arabic on a regular QWERTY keyboard. 2 is the symbol for hamza and 7 is the

• I'd go for Arabic. There are a lot more Arabic speakers, and a lot of people who speak Hebrew already know pretty good English. I don't remember that well (I was 5), but when my dad took us to Israel for a business trip almost everyone we spoke to knew English. Either way, they have a lot of similarities.

Ah. I'd like to learn Arabic or Hebrew one day. IDK which to choose...

• Portuguese and Swedish, an interesting mix you got there!

Grafite posted: »

Portuguese, Swedish, English, and a little bit of French and Spanish.

• Italian, English and some French.

• Ok. So how hard is Arabic to learn?

I'd go for Arabic. There are a lot more Arabic speakers, and a lot of people who speak Hebrew already know pretty good English. I don't re

• All these Portuguese speakers in here...

Grafite posted: »

Portuguese, Swedish, English, and a little bit of French and Spanish.

• Writing it isn't too bad, it's a bit like writing cursive. Speaking it is hard for a lot of people, since the language has a lot of sounds that we don't have in English. Reading it is the most difficult part for me. Missing one little dot above a letter can completely change a word. For instance, it's really easy to mistake (ع) for (غ), etc. also, Arabic is almost never written with short vowels, (the name Muhammad would be spelled mHmd in the Arabic alphabet). That means you can't really read a word out loud unless you already know the words or you're experienced enough to recognize the patterns.

tl;dr. It's harder than Spanish or Russian, but easier that Chinese or Japanese. Knowing French ahead of time can make speaking easier sometimes.

Ok. So how hard is Arabic to learn?

• How would French help with speaking Arabic? Is it because of the French influence in North Africa?

Writing it isn't too bad, it's a bit like writing cursive. Speaking it is hard for a lot of people, since the language has a lot of sounds

• Not exactly, but they have a sound or two in common. For instance, the letter (غ) in Arabic is the same odd sound as the French R, just a bit more pronounced.

How would French help with speaking Arabic? Is it because of the French influence in North Africa?

• Okay. So it would be like 'uh'?

Not exactly, but they have a sound or two in common. For instance, the letter (غ) in Arabic is the same odd sound as the French R, just a bit more pronounced.

• English (SURPRISE!), Russian, Ukrainian.

• C, C++, C#, FORTRAN, . . .

Oh, sorry.

• C family Master Race

WarpSpeed posted: »

C, C++, C#, FORTRAN, . . . Oh, sorry.

• English, Portuguese and a bit of Spanish :V

• Yeah, somewhere between saying "ugh" and gargling. :P

Pretty language, yeah?

Okay. So it would be like 'uh'?

• About as pretty as Carver's face :P

Yeah, somewhere between saying "ugh" and gargling. :P Pretty language, yeah?

• I only know English ;-;

• Just English, I know a bit of Spanish and Portugease. But that's it. I used to know sign language for like a month but it's completely gone from my head now.

• Yep!

About as pretty as Carver's face :P

• English
    • Czech
    • German ( a bit )
    • Slovak ( a bit )
  • Ha same here

dojo32161 posted: »

English (duh) and French.

• English and a little Spanish.

• Am I the only one here who speaks.. um.. Asian?

• What kinda Asian?

Kashiiblarb posted: »

Am I the only one here who speaks.. um.. Asian?

• Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean
    Some more fluent than others.

What kinda Asian?

• I actaully speak Japanese.

Also English (Shocker, right?) and a little French.

Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean Some more fluent than others.

• lol English is always a shocker.
    I speak a little bit of french too, since its mandatory to learn it in schools in Canada, but I forgotten most of it.

Are you Japanese though? I think its interesting to know what languages people can speak, and if they actually are of the ethnicity

BlueShadiw posted: »

I actaully speak Japanese. Also English (Shocker, right?) and a little French.

• No, I'm actually learning it in highschool. Third year in August, infact.

lol English is always a shocker. I speak a little bit of french too, since its mandatory to learn it in schools in Canada, but I forgotten

• Russian, Latvian and English.

• Lithuanian, English, a bit of Russian.

• Polish, English, used to know some German and Norwegian words, school level I guess. If it counts, I can curse in High Valyrian (GoT fans will understand).

• Polish, English and German. I speak all of them very well. : 3

• Czech
    • English
    • I understand Slovak, but I don't speak it
    • A bit Russian
  • Czech sounds very funny. But I don't have many opportunities to talk to someone from your country, because I live near Russia and Lithuania. Although your language is still funny and interesting. xD

Pipas posted: »

* Czech * English * I understand Slovak, but I don't speak it * A bit Russian

• I'm rubbish with languages, I got an F in Spanish at Gcse XD The only language I know is English.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.