When did you first learn about Wallace & Gromit?

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited March 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
I'll admit I didn't know much about them until Telltale started working on this game, although strangely enough in college I lived in an apartment that had two W&G magnets on the fridge when we moved in. (My roommate was like, "You've never heard of Feathers McGraw?!")

Since the games will be coming out pretty soon, I'm curious, when did you first start watching Wallace & Gromit? Are you an old pro or a newbie?

Comments

• edited January 2009
    In my case, I recall watching the shorts as a kid, but it wasn't until "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" was released that I actually saw them all (including Cracking Contraptions) again in English and became a fan :D. W&G are not really popular here at all, though, if you asked people they would probably recognize Chicken Run but not W&G. You'll probably get a "oh,I've seen somewhere... I think"
  • edited January 2009
    I remember my parents once renting a DVD with their cartoons for us from Netflix, and I thought they were hilarious. Then I forgot about them, and then Curse of the Were-Rabbit came out. The memories proceeded to burst back into my head. It looks like with this game, I'm going to be getting the same feeling as I did when the film came out. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    W&G are not really popular here at all, though, if you asked people they would probably recognize Chicken Run but not W&G. You'll probably get a "oh,I've seen somewhere... I think"
    That last bit pretty much describes me; I've been vaguely aware of Wallace & Gromit for as long as I can remember but I've only actually seen some bits here and there by coincidence. I like what they've put up on YouTube though and Chicken Run was great.
  • edited January 2009
    I've known about them pretty much my whole life and have seen all the adventures - I've still got them on VHS. They're amazing, I've watched them all countless times. I guess that's what you get for being English...?
  • edited January 2009
    I first knew about them when a Curse of the Warerabbit came out.
    I cant remember much but one thing I remember pefectly was
    beware the "moon"
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    A teacher in elementary school (some time between 3rd and 5th grade) had the Wrong Trousers on VHS during a rainy day indoors recess. Best day ever!
  • edited January 2009
    Harald B wrote: »
    I've been vaguely aware of Wallace & Gromit for as long as I can remember but I've only actually seen some bits here and there by coincidence. I like what they've put up on YouTube though and Chicken Run was great.

Yeah, same for me. I know my nieces had a copy of Curse of the Were-Rabbit at some point, but didn't actually see it myself.
  • edited January 2009
    I saw Wrong Trousers back in the mid 90's at a friends house.
  • edited January 2009
    I recall seeing previews for the first Australian broadcast of A Close Shave, so that would've been in 1995 or early 1996, I guess. And I was aware of the ones before when they aired as well.

I actually watched the first three shorts in 1996 or 1997. I'm not sure, but I know my parents taped The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave, and I watched them over and over. In 1997 we had a program called Wallace & Gromit Fun Pack. It had a trivia game, some wallpapers, screen savers, clips and sound bites, a game where you play as Gromit washing windows, and a game where you play as Gromit in the railroad tracks scene at the climax of The Wrong Trousers.

I outfitted the computer with some of the sound bites, so that when a window was maximised the line "We're at maximum speed" played, when there was an error message it was "Daddy didn't create you for this!", when a program was started it was "Right, off we go then", and when starting up it was "Windows are my speciality."

With the train game, Wallace's lines during the scene it's based on were played at the start of every level, so that when I actually watched the scene again recently everything Wallace said sounded like background noise.

I played the window washing game a lot. The thing I remember the most is Wallace saying "the bounce has gone from his bungee" a lot. Probably when I lost.

Basically I breathed Wallace & Gromit for a while. When Curse of the Were Rabbit came out much later, I went to see it and really enjoyed it. I giggled for an embarrassingly long time when Hutch said "The bounce has gone from his bungee" because I was still so familiar with the line.

And that was me rambling in an attempt to cover up the fact that I don't know when I first heard about Wallace & Gromit.
  • edited January 2009
    I vaguely remember watching The Wrong Trouser when I was in Taiwan and it was in Chinese. The thing that made big impression on me was it was claymation, the dog was funny, and the penguin is evil.

When The Curse of Were-Rabbit came out, I rented the rest short films from Netflix and watch all the web-shorts online. Of course, I also rented Chicken Run and Flushed Away, and only one of it is crap.
  • edited January 2009
    I remember seeing the three shorts on German TV when "Chicken Run" hit theaters, but I'm pretty sure I was at least aware of Wallace & Gromit before that. Since then I really liked Aardman's work, although it never became an obsession, as it was difficult to get a regular Aardman-fix, with the shorts (and "Were Rabbit" even more so) having such a long production time. It always intrigued me that Aardman kept using Claymation, and I was a little disappointed to see that "Flushed Away" used CG... so I haven't seen that movie since. "Shaun the Sheep" on the other hand is utter brilliance, a not just some stupid kid's show... love it, and I'm really hoping for Shaun at least getting a cameo in one of Telltale's episodes.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    I'm really hoping for Shaun at least getting a cameo in one of Telltale's episodes.

If the most recent version I played is any indication, then you'll be a happy man. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    If the most recent version I played is any indication, then you'll be a happy man. ;)

Indeed. Shaun from QA is all over the game.
  • edited January 2009
    tabacco wrote: »
    Indeed. Shaun from QA is all over the game.

Yay! :)
  • edited January 2009
    I grew up watching it.
  • edited January 2009
    I was always a huge fan since I was flipping through channels one night and saw a guy sawing a door supported by a dog. (Grand Day Out) At first I thought "What the crap is this nonsense?!*" Then I watched some more, and I was hooked. :P

*Yes, I actually talk like that.
  • edited January 2009
    I was visiting my aunt in the states, and I saw all three episodes on Cartoon network.
    I remember asking: "Dad, what does "program in" mean?" (From the wrong trousers)

Then I bought the VHS copy of it in the store, and the movie when it came out.

And I will no-doubt buy the game for Wii. (or, if its PC only, Crossover Games)
  • edited January 2009
    I caught wind of the duo while I was in high school. I've always had a soft spot for claymation because of the work involved in the production. So when channel surfing one night I caught a glimpse of some claymation I backtracked and watched what was left of the short. It was either A Grand Day Out or The Wrong Trousers. I was hooked. I needed more! Instant addiction.

Now I can't wait to have news of the game and I may venture into illegal territory if there is no news on when we'll be able to see the new short in Canada.
  • edited January 2009
    I've known about them pretty much my whole life and have seen all the adventures - I've still got them on VHS. They're amazing, I've watched them all countless times. I guess that's what you get for being English...?

P. much this.
    Except for that last part...
    I'm actually in disbelief that some have not heard of these adventures from before curse of the were-rabbit.
    That's like, not knowing Mario!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    A friend of mine (the same one who really got me interested in Sam & Max comics, actually...) had A Grand Day Out and The Wrong Trousers on VHS that his parents had taped off TV. I came over to his house and he was in the middle of the train chase scene in the Wrong Trousers, and it looked pretty cool. Um, then I watched them. The end!
  • edited January 2009
    Rakia wrote: »
    That's like, not knowing Mario!

yeaaaaaaaaah....no.
  • edited January 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »
    And I will no-doubt buy the game for Wii. (or, if its PC only, Crossover Games)

I would, but it looks like it may not be compatible w/ CrossOver. Strong Bad was not, so I wouldn't bet it will.
  • edited January 2009
    W&G was also the subject of one of my personal favorite game glitches.

I was playing that Wallace & Gromit: Project Zoo game for the GameCube, and I was in an underground cavern filled with lava. I was playing as the only playable character, Gromit, and I walked over to a machine that needed fixing, so I called in Wallace. He wasn't walking over. So I called again. Nothing. I went over to see what was happening, and when I saw, I just started cracking up.

He had sank up to his shoulders into the lava.

He wasn't even fazed. He was just saying the same usual things he says whenever he's walking over. I was laughing so hard I couldn't get angry.
  • edited January 2009
    Shauntron wrote: »
    A teacher in elementary school (some time between 3rd and 5th grade) had the Wrong Trousers on VHS during a rainy day indoors recess. Best day ever!

Same here! :)
    I think I'd probably seen all the shorts before then though. I can't remember a time when I didn't know about Wallace & Gromit.
  • edited January 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »
    yeaaaaaaaaah....no.

Hmmm..... yes.
  • edited January 2009
    Shauntron wrote: »

Same thing happened to me too, but I'm pretty sure that, like what KayJay said, I'd already seen all the shorts, but I'm almost positive that the rest of my class had never seen nor heard of them before this. The only exception is that my class didn't watch the Wrong Trousers. I believe we watched A Grand Day Out.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    ig0rpwnwEd wrote: »
    I would, but it looks like it may not be compatible w/ CrossOver. Strong Bad was not, so I wouldn't bet it will.

I played Dangeresque with Crossover... At least I think it was Crossover. One of the OS X virtualization apps played it properly. It was one of the Wine based ones, which dropped the game into its own self contained .app file and everything. Worked like a charm on my friend's MacBook Pro.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Even though it's pretty early in the season, I'm going to bet that Wallace will not be consumed with lava in our games...

... although you never know.
  • edited January 2009
    I saw the first episode on TV. Then I saw the next 2 episodes as they were released at this independent movie cinema.. It was awesome seeing them on the big screen. They used to show all things aardman there and a heap of anime movies.. Saw ghost in the shell 1/2 patlabor creature comforts all sorts of awesome.. Unfortunately it closed down shortly after around 95/96 I haven't really followed wallace and gromit much since those days so It was great when I heard telltale were making some new games..
  • edited January 2009
    langley wrote: »
    Even though it's pretty early in the season, I'm going to bet that Wallace will not be consumed with lava in our games...

... although you never know.

If, by any chance, he does get consumed with lava, would he still be acting as he would normally?
  • edited January 2009
    as an English man, it would be a sin not to know about them! XP my grandparents are from England, so ive been watching them since I was in diapers!
  • edited January 2009
    I haven't seen much of their stuff, but I feel as if I've always been aware of their existence, and their relative awesomeness.
  • edited January 2009
    Me and "Wallace and Gromit" go way back. I heard of them way before I ever heard about Sam and Max.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2009
    I heard of them, but hadn't seen them. I had only seen chicken run until this year when I watched all the shorts, cracking contraptions, and Curse of the Wererabbit in anticipation for the Telltale series.

I need to see if I can get my hands on Project Zoo next. :)
  • edited February 2009
    Probably 2 years ago-ish (maybe more) I watched Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I didn't really like it, but Telltale's games might make me start liking the series.
  • edited February 2009
    I've watched W&G on a yearly basis since the early 90's. The Wrong Trousers is my favourite but I can't fault Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
  • edited February 2009
    My parents loved the series so they showed it to me pretty early in my youth. I can't actually REMEMBER that many episodes anymore, though. :P
  • edited February 2009
    I honestly thought they were video game characters until Curse of the Were-Rabbit came out. ^_^;;

I'd only ever seen video games of the characters up to that point. The games charmed me with their focus on over-the-top Goldberg-esque contraptions.

Curse of the Were-Rabbit is what introduced me to the rest of the toons. I've always been a big fan of stop-motion animation. Everything about it, from hand-crafted scenery to the slight jerkiness in the character's movements from capturing the tiny bits of change between hand-manipulated frames just makes me smile.

I hope that the animation guys can make it look somewhat like a stop-motion film.
  • edited March 2009
    I first saw The Wrong Trousers, I can't remember if it was new or they were reshowing it next to A Close Shave. I missed A Grand Day out, but it's probably a good thing since I was much less impressed by that one.
  • edited March 2009
    I first heard about W&G when the Curse of the Were-Rabbit came out on DVD; I remember a friend rented it, but I didn't watch it. I later saw it during school. I didn't like it then, but when Telltale announced a W&G game I rented the shorts. I like them a little better than Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
    Rubarack wrote: »
    I missed A Grand Day out, but it's probably a good thing since I was much less impressed by that one.

A Grand Day Out is actually my favorite.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.