Confirmed: NOT Peter Sallis

Thanks to Mixnmojo for the tip. It is now confirmed in the latest issue of PCZone that Peter Sallis will not be voice acting Wallace in the games, and instead his official back-up actor will be taking the role.

Deep down I suspected as much (since Telltale weren't saying anything, and he's getting old now), but I'm still a tad disappointed. I'm not sure how close the other guy sounds, but I hope the difference is barely - if not at all - noticable.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    How old is Peter Sallis, again?
  • edited February 2009
    How old is Peter Sallis, again?

88. Born in 1921! :eek:
  • edited February 2009
    Okay, I now can see why his back-up actor is performing him. Does he still remember that he was the voice of Wallace?
  • edited February 2009
    Yeah, I'm not too surprised. It's not that big a deal, really. 5 (assuming we're going to get 5 of them) episodes is a hell of a lot of voice-over work, the man isn't exactly as young as he used to be, and I imagine his paycheck for big productions like this can be a bit too much for a smaller company like Telltale. People taking over roles in voice-acting isn't nearly as bad as in 'real' acting. And, seeing as it's still Aardmans official back-up voice (which I wasn't expecting, nice job Telltale!), I imagine he's going to do a great job. I assume Aardman would want the same guy to do the movies if Sallis isn't going to be able to anymore.

Really looking forward to the new screenshots! Hell, really looking forward to the games!
  • edited February 2009
    Okay, I now can see why his back-up actor is performing him. Does he still remember that he was the voice of Wallace?
    considering he is still doing the voices for the shorts and films, then yes probably. being 88 doesn't mean that he has dementia, just makes it more likely.
  • edited February 2009
    To be off-topic, I also found out this from animated-news.com:
    Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death UK DVD in March

DVDTimes reports that Nick Park’s BAFTA winning short Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray in UK on 23rd March. Extras on this release will include “When Wallace Met Harvey, A Day In The Life of Nick Park”, “Tell Tale Games” and “Making Of A Matter Of Loaf And Death“.

Apparently, Aardman's pretty sure that Telltale's capable of making these games if they're putting a featurette about them on the DVD.
  • edited February 2009
    To be off-topic, I also found out this from animated-news.com:

Apparently, Aardman's pretty sure that Telltale's capable of making these games if they're putting a featurette about them on the DVD.
    Not sure enough that they can put Telltale as one word, though. =p

I've seen advertisements for crappy products on good DVDs before, anyway. ;)
  • edited February 2009
    Yes, but I'm betting that was a mistake from the writer of the article. Apparently, he's never heard of this place. :rolleyes:
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    We do have something on that DVD. It's not a featurette though. Speculate away. :D
  • edited February 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    We do have something on that DVD. It's not a featurette though. Speculate away. :D

A demo? A new trailer? If it's not a featurette, it has to be one of those two, I guess?
  • edited February 2009
    Yes, but I'm betting that was a mistake from the writer of the article. Apparently, he's never heard of this place. :rolleyes:

It may be a play on words, though.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm still going with my idea.
  • MelMel
    edited February 2009
    He's still acting in Last of the Summer Wine too.
  • edited February 2009
    Looks like the original Wallace is no-more, I'm gonna miss that voice :(.
  • edited February 2009

The Matter of Loaf and Death dvd is already out in Australia. It doesn't have the telltale feature! Any reason why? :(
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    The Loaf & Death timing was earlier in Australia then in other regions (they aired the short earlier and finalized their DVD master earlier).
  • edited February 2009

I think I found it (on http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=70045):
    Priced at £12.99 RRP on DVD and £14.99 RRP on Blu-ray Disc, extras include:

* When Wallace Met Harvey, A Day In The Life of Nick Park (Sunday Times Piece)
    * Tell Tale Games – half hour game
    * Making Of A Matter Of Loaf And Death

So, assuming this information is correct, I guess it's a demo of the first episode (didn't the Sam & Max cartoon dvd-set have a Ice Station Santa-demo?). Which is all kinds of awesome (even though I'm at a point where I don't even need demo's for my Telltale games anymore, but it will reach a far wider audience this way), because it means that there's going to be a demo available on the 23rd of March, which is the release date of the DVD (possibly earlier, what with all the time that goes into producing and shipping said DVD to the stores and such). And that would mean we would get the first episode in about 4, 5 weeks.

Man, first I discovered W&G's secret console, and now this. I'm the Dirk Gently of the Telltalefans.
  • edited February 2009
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Man, first I discovered W&G's secret console, and now this. I'm the Dirk Gently of the Telltalefans.

Very good detective work indeed. Telltale never release a demo before the game is actually out, so this means we'll be seeing the first episode very soon if what we are lead to believe is correct. Unless "half hour game" means a specially created episode just for the DVD? I don't see that being the case, though.
  • edited February 2009
    Probably a preview, preview or the demo.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm guessing it may be a game made especially for the DVD, with the characters basically showing how these games are going to roll.

And I feel like an idiot for not actually looking on DVDTimes like what the article said the special features. XP
  • edited February 2009
    Tjibbbe wrote: »

Perhaps the Archie Goodwin, don't know about the Dirk Gently.
  • edited February 2009
    aardman have released a 50-second short appealing for young inventors, which you can watch here. I was just wondering if the voice actor used in this is the same person doing the games? Because, sadly, you can tell it isn't Peter Sallis doing it, as many of the comments on the video point out.
  • edited February 2009
    aardman have released a 50-second short appealing for young inventors, which you can watch here. I was just wondering if the voice actor used in this is the same person doing the games? Because, sadly, you can tell it isn't Peter Sallis doing it, as many of the comments on the video point out.

that just sounded like he was ill
  • edited February 2009
    It sounded more like it was supposed to be a higher sample rate than it was played back at.
  • edited February 2009
    Whatever the case, I'm sure the priority of getting something like Telltale's game sounding right is slightly higher than the effort put into a 50-second PR advertisement.

They have an official back-up actor. THAT is way more than I expected. I'm fairly certain that, when we hear the first bit of Wallace's in-game dialogue, we'll be greeted to something that sounds like Wallace.
  • edited February 2009
    Hm. I'm not sure, you'll probably still know, I'm one of those people who always feel uncomfortable when something feels out of place or wrong. And when I'm playing, unless they don't have the best back-up ever, it'll be niggling at the back of mind.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    I know what you mean. After Jim Henson died, I was borderline distributed to hear the new voices for Kermit and Ernie. They just weren't right.

The voice actor we're using for Wallace isn't anything like that. Having listened to Peter Sallis in the films and the other guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) in our game, I honestly can't tell the difference.
  • edited February 2009
    Since you bring up the Muppets... :)

I got used to Steve Whitmire as Kermit pretty quickly, and the guy who replaced Frank Oz as Piggy does a great job. The post-Henson incidental characters, though, are borderline painful for me to listen to. Especially Stadler & Waldorf. Happily, Dave Goelz remains the voice of Gonzo, so that's good I guess :)
  • edited February 2009
    tabacco wrote: »
    and the guy who replaced Frank Oz as Piggy does a great job.

Eric Jacobson. He's pretty good!
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Just as long as Dr. Teeth sounds okay, I'm all good.

Anyway, enough about muppets...
  • edited February 2009
    He's really that good? Great, my only worry about W&G is now gone, if your right, of course.
  • edited February 2009
    Just pick up the demo before buying it if you're not sure, Burny. :)

The most recent interview says they have an all-British cast, and they're using a lot of Aardman resources. I think the graphics and the voices will be top-notch, really. I don't worry about those at all(as long as Wallace can keep his eyes on).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    I don't worry about those at all(as long as Wallace can keep his eyes on).

In early days that was an issue, when they were still getting his eyes set to be able to look around at things in the world. The amount of times Wallace's eyes would pop out or revoltingly sink into his head were surprising.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    in early days that was an issue, when they were still getting his eyes set to be able to look around at things in the world. The amount of times wallace's eyes would pop out or revoltingly sink into his head were surprising.

spoilers!!
  • edited March 2009
    After watching the new WG Trailer, he sounds almost like Peter, I could kind of hear it wasn't him but for people who don't know it, it almost sounds like it!
  • edited March 2009
    i couldent tell a difrence, and so i dont care anymore.
  • edited March 2009
    I really wanted to like this game, I really did, but the voice killed it for me in an instant. I didn't read anything about the game beforehand so it wasn't my imagination, I could tell in an instant that the voice was different. Sorry Telltale, I know that you couldn't get Peter Sallis but it really hinders my enjoyment of the game. (still gonna keep buying your other games though!)
  • edited March 2009
    I played the demo. Whoever you got to replace him sounds very similar, but still sounds very different.
  • edited March 2009
    Now I'm not a diehard Wallace and Gromit fan, but I didn't really hear a huge difference.
  • edited March 2009
    I'm a big W&G fan and I can tell the difference. Is it possible to up the pitch a bit for future episodes?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.