Bad Brain Reveals Plans!

Comments

• edited December 2004
    Funny thing is that I remember a while ago ( I don't remember how far back it was. I think before FT2 was announced) some new guy took over at LA and came off saying that they were going to change their game production to 50/50 for star wars games to other games... but that just goes to show you companies don't keep their word on things most times. I guess they are in a bit of a panic mode since Lucas killed the series with eps I and II they want to milk it as much as they can cause they know it can't last with crappy films like that. Hopefully episode 3 will be better but well I'm not expecting much. no GT4 for me this christmas :(
  • edited December 2004
    It's a bit too early in the game. Remember he's only been there a few months, also that they had to finish all the games in development. After that, there is only 1 new Star Wars game in development.
  • edited December 2004
    still canning sam & max wasn't a good idea if he had intended to keep his word on things. One can only hope that they go back to doing some adventure.
  • edited December 2004
    still canning sam & max wasn't a good idea if he had intended to keep his word on things. One can only hope that they go back to doing some adventure.

Sam & Max was cancelled under Mike Nelson's watch. He was acting General Manager (IIRC) after LucasArts' last president, Simon Jefferies (under whose watch FT2 was cancelled), unexpectedly resigned. The position was just never filled for some reason, so Mike Nelson was pretty much in charge until the new guy (I think his name is Jim Ward? Or something?) showed up a few months after Sam & Max 2 was canned.

I have no idea which one of them promised the 50/50 split, but IIRC I think it was Jefferies. Just a hunch, though, and I could be wrong.
  • edited December 2004
    This is what Wolfgang had to say in another place: I love to read this forum thread. and i love to see that you guys are so very into it. here is another hint to get it a little easier for you (hey let´s be humanly, it´s sunday): the puzzles involves some url and surfing!
  • edited December 2004
    the puzzles involves some url and surfing!

Could it be surfing the highway!
  • edited December 2004
    the puzzles involves some url and surfing!

Could it be surfing the highway!

cue music...
  • edited December 2004
    okay here is my solution.....

ultrapinkoletisch!

means....

Purcell has ink to it
  • edited December 2004
    okay here is my solution.....

ultrapinkoletisch!

means....

Purcell has ink to it
    Or, rearrange the words a bit, it'll be "Purcell has to ink it", which could mean that his signature on a contract is basically what they're missing at the moment, before they can go ahead.
    Here's hoping!
  • edited December 2004
    Purcell has it! to ink...

I'm sure we could all come up with something. Relax and let things play out. Everyone spinning their wheels on whats going on isn't getting us anywhere.
  • edited December 2004
    Interesting ideas, but how do you guys you live with your dyslexia? ;)
  • edited December 2004
    Interesting ideas, but how do you guys you live with your dyslexia? ;)
    Cixelsyd? Who, me? ;)
  • edited December 2004
    ylnO draculA sah aixelsyd.
  • edited December 2004
    hey you may as well have a guess..we probably wont get any more news for a few months...
  • edited December 2004
    what the hell is going on. all of a sudden Bad Brain has all this stuff. The Orgasmic 4? Come on Telltale! Give us some crumbs dammit!
  • edited December 2004
    They have given us crumbs;

http://www.dudebrough.com
  • edited December 2004
    Well, they've written "...and that Telltale's only a part of the exciting things that are brewing around it." on the product page.

There are no real signs that Telltale and Bad Brain cooperate, as far as I know.

Anyways, I really don't care who releases S&M2. :D
  • edited December 2004
    Well, Bad-Brain claims that they will get the original team to finish the game, so Telltale will have to be involved in some way (seeing as their team includes key S&M2 team members). At the very least Bad-Brain would contract the S&M2-related folks from Telltale.

The probable reason Telltale is keeping their mouth shut about all this (if you think they were lying about not knowing of Bad-Brain's attempt to aquire the resources) is legal. Frankly, I'm not sure how or why Bad-Brain is being so open and confident about their plans when they signed an NDA. And you have to wonder how this new company can pop up and suddenly have all this power while Telltale, which was formed no less than half a year ago, was unsuccessful with LucasArts and Purcell in terms of negotiations. Frankly, I've got more faith in Telltale's products as they've apparently been hard at work on something, though we don't know what, while Bad-Brain is coughing up game release dates with nothing to back them up. I hope they're half as serious as they appear about Freelance Police; I really want that game finished. Another new game can come later.

Time will tell. In the meantime, roll on with the Dudebrough game!
  • edited December 2004
    while Telltale, which was formed no less than half a year ago, was unsuccessful with LucasArts and Purcell in terms of negotiations.

Umm. Surely any negotiations between Telltale, LucasArts & Purcell are nothing more that conjecture?

I've seen no evidence that Telltale have even attempted to discuss Sam & Max 2 with LucasArts. All we've heard is that they 'don't talk with LucasArts', and that they were going to try and get the licence from Purcell once it expired at LucasArts.

But at any rate, I do agree with your sentiment. Other than the financing / publishing deal with Autumn Moon for Vampyre Story (which I think is great), I'll believe Bad-Brain's internal hype machine once I get to play their games... and not a moment beforehand.
  • edited December 2004
    Did Dan Connors not mention failed attempts to reach an agreement with the company in some interview?
  • edited December 2004
    Hey, Bad Brain did a site revamp. http://www.bad-brain.com/
  • edited December 2004
    Hey, Bad Brain did a site revamp. http://www.bad-brain.com/

Yeah, and their newest puzzle ("did_we_get_it?") is a pretty ingenious Massive-Online-Multiplayer-Puzzle_solving hype, which I've never seen before.
    One can't tell from this about the quality of their games, or if they just want to keep people interested in their own created games - but one has to see that they got a load of gamers involved in their puzzle about the 'exciting license'.
    And the puzzle involves nothing but their HTML-website, PHP/SQL-forum, and a JSP-engine.

No graphics, characters, story. Just a puzzle, feeding all the buzz/hype/expectations. And it's getting people in their forum to cooperate.
    That's not short of genius.
  • edited December 2004
    The solution to the Ultrapinkoletisch! puzzle was located on http://www.bad-brain.com/ultrapinkoletisch!.html, I wonder why none of us thought of that :/
  • edited December 2004
    Gosh! You are too late! The solution was here ...

Did anybody actually get there in time?
  • edited December 2004
    Hmmm these Bad Brain people sure do like to talk a lot. The Orgasic 4 looks fairly interesting from a tiny 'can't really see the art' point of view...

"So forget about the dog and the rabbit! Here comes the real deal"

An interesting bit of the description.

I dunno, if the company can get off the ground I say more power to em', but I remain skeptical. It seems strangely 'trust fund baby'.
  • edited December 2004
    Gosh! You are too late! The solution was here ...

Did anybody actually get there in time?

No, they took the solution down from the site before they announced it. A little unrewarding, IMO.

Now there's a second puzzle for the same solution.
  • edited December 2004
    "So forget about the dog and the rabbit! Here comes the real deal"

An interesting bit of the description.

I dunno, if the company can get off the ground I say more power to em', but I remain skeptical. It seems strangely 'trust fund baby'.

Yes, nobody wants to forget about the dog and the rabbit, it seems. That statement doesn't make the company more likeable.
    After all, their hype only lives from the Sam and Max craze.
  • edited December 2004
    I wonder why none of us thought of that :/

Because the exclamation point was not part of the original puzzle. And I highly doubt there was a page at that link prior to the "sorry, too late" mesage.
  • edited December 2004
    The Orgasic 4 looks fairly interesting from a tiny 'can't really see the art' point of view...

If you dig around you can see each of the characters at full size, plus this wallpaper featuring the full Four.

Where's the quote about "forget the Dog & Rabbit"?
  • edited December 2004
    Eh I liked the art more when it was obscure and tiny :P

The quote is on the main page, click on the Orgasic 4 button, last line of the description.
  • edited December 2004
    Where's the quote about "forget the Dog & Rabbit"?

http://www.bad-brain.com/to4.html
  • edited December 2004
    OK. Now Bad-Brain are really pissing me off. Why would you belittle the product you're trying to purchase?

Unless...
  • edited December 2004
    Well, I finally posted on the Bad-Brain forum, making my views on their hype etc known.

Overhype & Bad-Brain. "Forget about the dog and the Rabbit"?

If anyone's signed on there and agrees with my points, I'd love some support, as I can see the Bad-Brain fanboys not taking too kindly to what I wrote...
  • edited December 2004
    It's kind of disturbing to think that a site that just got put up not all that long ago would be full of fanboys already. (Stops.. thinks... looks around.. backs away slowly).
  • edited December 2004
    i agree with you jp the longer this goes on the more i think theyve used the names of sam and max as some sick marketing attempt to promote their own games that havent even been finished..or started for that matter... as public enemy one said... "DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE"
  • edited December 2004
    i dont like the way they are playing with sam and max fans..many of us have been waiting 12 years for a sequel.. and these ridiculous puzzles..at the moment all theyve done is used sam and max to promote their own games which have yet to be made.. badbrain is definitely a wait and see what happens.. telltale on the other hand..im looking forward to playing their games..which they are actually making
  • edited December 2004
    JP, surely you're not suggesting that what seemed to be a slip of the tongue Sam and Max clue posted on a humble forum, was actually a devious and intentional marketing move. [>:)] The cunning devils.
  • edited December 2004
    No, not exactly on it's own. But factor in all the other Sam & Max name-dropping & posturing.

As I've said elsewhere, for a company who have signed an NDA due to them being in negotiations to buy Sam & Max2, they sure as hell have a lot to say.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the whole "we want to buy Sam & Max 2" is a Bad-Brain publicity stunt (which is working well, and will work even better when LucasArts withdraws from negotiations).

But I really do hope that my hunches are wrong.
  • edited December 2004
    I wonder why none of us thought of that :/

Because the exclamation point was not part of the original puzzle. And I highly doubt there was a page at that link prior to the "sorry, too late" mesage.

actually, it was. but that didn't stop me from going to that url without the exclamation point. hehe.
  • edited December 2004
    Oops. So it did. Heh.
This discussion has been closed.