Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures have commenced! Let's get playing!

Comments

• edited March 2009
    moronic50 wrote: »
    Foudn the game great except for a possible bug.

WARNING SPOILER BELOW!

Whilst in Wallaces basement with th major present (suitcase open), i handed gromit his dog tags, which he promptly threw away. Unfortunatly they landed underneath a control panel which cannot be seen (Since its hidden behind the suitcase). After ages of agony i found an odd spot in the bottom left corner where you could see the dog tags and click on them, sending wallace after em.

Did anybody else have this problem?
    Oddly enough I didn't have to go through the process of giving the major the dog tag and helmet to get the protein bar, he just handed them over when I clicked on the case.
  • edited March 2009
    I like this game very much but I stumbled over a logical error.
    After I calmed down the bees in the cellar I spotted down into the cellar from outside the house. I could still hear the dancing tune and the other record was lying next to the record-player.

Edit: I just finished it.

+ controlling 2 characters is great. I really liked controlling both of them
    + the graphics are good but I start getting some darker spots on the characters in cutscenes even on graphics quality 1. (holy cow this game looks great on the screenshot on the last page)
    + I really love the ending

- Steam says I played it 3.2 hours. That is really short but there were shorter games in your catalogue.
  • edited March 2009
    I have also completed the first episode after 3-4 hours playing (hints switched off), and overall I have enjoyed W&G a lot:
    • great story
    • great graphics
    • great voice actors
    • quite original riddles to solve
    • two different characters to control
    I subtract "1/2 thumb" though due to the keyboard control (see my posting in the related thread) and some technical issues which hopefully will soon be fixed.
  • edited March 2009
    It's over! Episode one, that is. I just finished it and I can't wait for more. I wouldn't say it was longer than anything from Sam & Max Season 2, plus it was easier, so I am slightly disappointed there - we'll see how the next three episodes pan out. It's obviously going to progress in a similar way to SBCG4AP, with rooms being unlocked as the series goes on (living room, Paneer's shop) so we'll see how previous locations hold up then. I didn't particularly notice the lack of user dialogue selection, although it was annoying having to keep click the character until they ran out of unique things to say. Finally, I appreciate how well you've stuck to the source material, especially the driver's seat being on the right! :D
  • edited March 2009
    Pros
    • Looks great.
    • Sounds great (bravo, both music and cast!).
    • Controls are OK.
    • Visual style (in many ways: camera movements, acting, details) and dialogue really create that W&G feeling (in its deep, cinematic side).
    • I loved a couple of puzzles (
      shooting porridge and making a metal rat cry above all
      ).
    • Wallace is hilarious.

Cons
    • Apart from the Sniffer 3000 subplot, story wasn't that much of a thrill.
    • It has some big bugs (but I fear they may be more of a design problem) in the part with Gromit:
      I pulled the bed lever in the kitchen before going upstairs, and I found the sheets snoring; I went to the city centre before I got rid of the bees in the garden, and had Wallace dropping the answering machine and messing with the frying pan after I had picked them up
      ).
    • It's not, in any way, beefier than S&M or SBCG4AP: that's been a big disappointment. I believe that completing it took me less time than finishing any other Telltale game to date (Mob, Mole & Meatball and Moai Better Blues had some hard puzzles on their side). Too easy and too short: I know it's an old complaint, but I think it fits the situation.
  • edited March 2009
    This is definetly up there with Sam & Max, i will perhaps even say i bit above it, never before have i had anything to do with Wallace and Gromit, so these characters are new to me.

But the whole concept especially with the contraptions. i must say i love it. and hope we will see alot more like this.

I just wish the in the garden some of the big flowers were left, so the scenery like in sam & max changes over time, in episodic content, imo it feels good to have just alittle change on the enviroments.

Missing alittle longer episodes, alittle more stuff to click on :) and ofc more areas to explore, i hope some more of the house and town opens up.

I used 3.3hours according to steam. but hey LONGER IS BETTER SO MAKE LOOOOONGER! :)

There does indeed seem to be some flaws or problems, if you are a clicker person from Sam & max, alot of people here seems to have done stuff differently or not at all very wierd xD
  • edited March 2009
    Dear TellTaleGames

Is Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures on WiiWare and when will it be released.

Askingly

W&G156
  • edited March 2009
    W&G156 wrote: »
    Dear TellTaleGames

Is Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures on WiiWare and when will it be released.

Askingly

W&G156

I'm not Telltale Games, but I can tell you that no, it isn't. PC and XBLA only.
  • edited March 2009
    I got around to playing the game tonight, and I really liked it! The game perfectly captures the mood from the Wallace and Gromit shorts. The voice acting and background music are spot on as well. Great job! I played through it in about two hours without using any hints or walkthroughs, so I'd say it's on the short side, but I enjoyed it immensely and that's more important, I think.

On the technical side, I had to turn the graphics setting back to 3 to get proper rendering. I would have expected a little better auto-detection of suitable settings; although I'm fine with finetuning settings before I start playing, I can imagine many other users aren't, especially since these games are aimed at casual users rather than hardcore gamers.

On the same note, it's also strange to have 4:3 default resolution, while the game uses a widescreen resolution, resulting in serious windowboxing on widescreen monitors.

I also experienced some rendering problems in the character's faces while watching the movie scenes; that's definitely a bug, and I hope it will be fixed in future episodes, although it didn't ruin the game for me.
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I like this game very much but I stumbled over a logical error.
    After I calmed down the bees in the cellar I spotted down into the cellar from outside the house. I could still hear the dancing tune and the other record was lying next to the record-player.
    Yeah, I noticed this too, and some other inconsistencies like:
    -
    When the Constable gives you back the Gorgonzola, he says he also found the other cheese (the Wensleydale) but he put it on a sandwich. However, if you look through the cell window, you can see the cheese is still on the floor under the bed.
    -
    Even though you remove the battery from the cheese sniffer and mix it into the quick-growth formula, Gromit is able to use it later on. Shouldn't the sniffer be out of juice?
    Nothing too important though.
  • edited March 2009
    Derwin wrote: »
    Did you get the email yet? If you ordered the game through TTG, you should have gotten a 50% off code as well. Woohoo!

Was the download link supposed to arrive through e-mail? As I figured out how to download the 1st episode through my account, I never recieved an e-mail about when it was released.
  • edited March 2009
    Haven't played it yet. Can't wait!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I loved it! I'm more than happy to play with a keyboard and mouse if it means that the game gets a more cinematic feel! It really did feel like playing a Wallace & Gromit film!

I thought the storyline was great, and I was pleasantly surprised that the expressive features of the silent characters were done so well. I'm a bigger Gromit fan than a Wallace fan, and apparantly this translates into the game realm as well, as I had a lot more fun walking around as Gromit than I did as Wallace. Although, Wallace's parts were fun too. Gromit doesn't talk, but I still found myself clicking on objects to see Gromit's expressions. :)

Oh, and I also have to mention the music. I've loved the music in all of the Telltale games, and this game is no exception. I really hope there's a soundtrack CD release for this game when it's over. :)

Oh, and I loved the voices too. Wallace's voice was great. And I really loved the voice of the woman who ran the news stand. :)

I also loved that you get a map from the grocery owner. I wasn't expecting that, since there were only three locations on the map. But, I'm glad it was there, as I used the map a lot. I went between Wallace's house and the town square a lot, so it was nice to just be able to magically pop in and out at will. :)

There's really not anything I can find to fault the games for. But, there were a few oddities here and there, as other people have mentioned. One I noticed that hasn't been mentioned was
    If you click the light board in the kitchen the second time you play as Gromit, the breakfast light lights up, and Wallace says his "just a reminder" line, despite him being on the phone right in front of Gromit

But, that certainly doesn't detract from the game. :)
  • edited March 2009
    will it be released on a disc and is there a way to download it in the uk without it taking so long to download.
  • edited March 2009
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Oh, and I also have to mention the music. I've loved the music in all of the Telltale games, and this game is no exception.
    Right, I second this! It was no surprise to see Jared Emerson-Johnson in the credits again, and I must say he did a great job on the music!
  • edited March 2009
    will it be released on a disc
    Yes. And you can get the DVD for just shipping costs when the DVD is released.
    and is there a way to download it in the uk without it taking so long to download.
    Took me about 10 minutes to download the 337MB of the first episode from Austria, so unless your provider only does dial-up it should be doable.

And I think the game is available via Steam as well, if that works for you - though that might void the "mail me the DVD" offer...

np: Battles - Atlas (DJ Koze Remix) (DJ Koze - Reincarnations)
  • edited March 2009
    I just finished it....it was a blast! I'd say it's already better than SBCG4AP! I was and still am annoyed by the controls, but the rest of the game was on par with an average Sam and Max episode.
  • edited March 2009
    Soultaker wrote: »
    Right, I second this! It was no surprise to see Jared Emerson-Johnson in the credits again, and I must say he did a great job on the music!

I third this! Awesome work as always Jared!
  • edited March 2009
    I love it, but I have a big problem. Not with Wallace and Gromit, but with THIS COMPUTER. I play on graphics detail 1 and it STILL lags like hell. As is said in EBA, HEEEEEELP!!!
  • edited March 2009
    Yellowtail wrote: »
    I love it, but I have a big problem. Not with Wallace and Gromit, but with THIS COMPUTER. I play on graphics detail 1 and it STILL lags like hell. As is said in EBA, HEEEEEELP!!!

Just get a better computer. Problem solved.
  • edited March 2009
    Aside from a few bugs (I hit two mentioned, and I had one that when I closed the map i just got an empty screen with a brick wall background, but was able to open the map again and move) I thorougly enjoyed the game. The controls were fine after 2 minutes, although some of the camera changes were a little tight.
  • edited March 2009
    Control wise I had no problems, but then I cut my teeth on adventure games and survival horror, so static camera angles don't throw me. I do like the cinematic camera angles, but would request the option for character relative as well as camera relative controls (turn right, turn left, walk forwards, walk backwards). It'd be an option I'd use anyhow.

I too ran into a few little glitches like Gromit being scared of an empty snoring bed, also
    Felicity commented on the gnomes missing cricket bat after I'd replaced it and already made use of it.
    Also,
    when Wallace was on the phone with the constable in his underwear, I clicked on the sign above the door and had him yelling about the things I needed to get him for breakfast while simultaneously chatting away on the phone.

It was very well 'shot' for the most part. sometimes as Gromit though he'd be hidden from view off the bottom of the screen.

All in all I'm very glad I picked up the whole season though and can't wait to see what's next. The animation is absolutely on par with the shorts and the movie, and that is saying a lot!
  • edited March 2009
    Quuux wrote: »
    Aside from a few bugs (I hit two mentioned, and I had one that when I closed the map i just got an empty screen with a brick wall background, but was able to open the map again and move) I thorougly enjoyed the game. The controls were fine after 2 minutes, although some of the camera changes were a little tight.

happened to me too, and I was unable to get the map back. had to kill the game from the Task Manager :eek:
  • edited March 2009
    So, after saving 80-some dollars with the 50% off deal...I'm not even sure if I can have any complaints about the quality of Wallace and Gromit. I mean, I paid about what I expected to for Wallace, the puzzles in episode 1 were fun and creative, and I got a lot of stuff that I would have bought eventually for relatively cheap.

...Well, I probably wouldn't have bought a second hardcover Surfin' the Highway, but it's nice to know I have a back-up/gift option.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh I should also mention, I like the new recap feature when continuing the game where you last left off. Very handy and neat. :D
  • edited March 2009
    The scripting can use a little more polishing.

At one point of the game, Wallace tells Gromit that
    Dibbins wants Gromit at the Town Centre to take care of the bee problem, but when Gromit comes to the Police Station, Dibbins just shoos him off
    . The player will wonder whether something is amiss. What's more, if hints are on at this point, Sometimes
    Dibbins will poke his head out giving advices to Gromit, friendly-like; but when you come to his door he'll resume his bureaucratic self
    . I find this odd.
  • edited March 2009
    I thought the episode was amazing, and given Telltales track record of them only getting better, I can't wait for the next one :D
  • edited March 2009
    I enjoyed the game. Just a couple things, though.

For one thing, the graphics were great. The problem is, even though my computer can handle the graphics, apparently my mouse couldn't. The game ran smoothly and was fine, but my mouse was very sluggish. I had to put it at level 2 or 3 in order to use it with ease.

Also, just to point out a very minor glitch,
    I solved the puzzle involving the gang of bees in the front yard and the ones in town first. After I got back, I went to the kitchen and Wallace gave his good job speech and then moved to the blender, talking about his miniaturizing potion. I knew I had to get outside to put the cheese where the record player was, but Wallace stood right in the way and I couldn't click on the door. It was a little annoying to go back outside and walk around to get to that part of the house

I loved that I could use the mouse wheel to go through inventory items and also use the third mouse button to enter the inventory (instead of shift).
  • edited March 2009
    Is your resolution right? I've noticed that if I choose a screen resolution that is way larger or smaller than my screen's actual resolution, the mouse will move oddly even if I can handle the graphics.
  • edited March 2009
    Cant play as my mouse wont work and i get black shadows.do i get a refund?blueboid
  • edited March 2009
    lot of black as background tutor is unusable.
  • edited March 2009
    When will the clip or trailer for The Last Resort be released on the telltale video page.
  • edited March 2009
    I have to say I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. Not sure why I expected less, I guess I just had a certain hunch, and the demo wasn't much to go on. The puzzles were more clever than I thought they would be, controlling Wallace vs. controlling Gromit was well-handled, and everything felt natural. And it was great to see a Telltale game with truly top-notch graphics and production values (except for a few voice glitches, most notably when Wallace was on the phone). I look forward to the next one.
  • edited March 2009
    When will there be a trailer for The Last Resort.
  • edited April 2009
    Hi

When will the trailer for Episode 2 The Last Resort be shown.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    Hi

When will the trailer for Episode 2 The Last Resort be shown.

I would think you could expect some new info/media sometime in the near future seeing as we're making an episodic series. I'd suggest checking the site daily if you're eager for more Wallace and Gromit stuff.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    Well, episode 1 just came out last week and episode 2 won't be out until sometime in May. So it won't be immediate. ;)
  • edited April 2009
    On Telltale's latest blog entry, the video seemed to state that Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures was for the 360, PC... and Wii? Either it was a mistake on Playr's part, or Telltale's been omitting an interesting bit of information lately.

Link'd.

(Look for it to start at around 0:06.)
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    That's a mistake on the part of Playr -- aside from that, enjoy watching Ben do his Wallace thang in the rest of the video though!
  • edited April 2009
    That's a mistake on the part of Playr -- aside from that, enjoy watching Ben do his Wallace thang in the rest of the video though!

Dreams = crushed.
  • edited April 2009
    Just wanted to say that I *loved* the first episode. Bar a few minor glitches, it was absolutely superb. That you managed to get someone who even approached the supposedly inimitable Peter Sallis is a testament to the fine production values throughout. Loved the story and new characters - everything was so well done that it really felt like a new movie in the series, which is no mean feat. Loved the thumbprints and mouth animations which really added a touch of class to the whole affair. You've done Aaardman proud, Telltale! *salutes :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.