If you haven't bought it yet... why not?

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited February 2007 in Bone
A lot of the people who visit this forum have probably already bought The Great Cow Race. (If you did, thanks! :)) Now, I'm curious to hear from those who haven't bought it yet. Why not? Do you have plans to buy it sometime in the future but haven't gotten around to it yet? Is there something holding you back?

There's no right or wrong answer to this question... we just want to understand who our customers are and what's on your minds. So it'll be interesting (and useful!) to hear what people have to say about this.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    The reason I haven't bought it yet is a $170 copy of Loom, two Amiga USB joysticks, two expensive doctors bills and some old Gameboy Final Fantasy games :)

I will get around to buying it soon enough though :)
  • edited May 2006
    I bought the game, I just haven't played it yet. Is that wrong? There's a severe lack of funny adventure games and I feel like I should save it in case of an emergency and I need to be cheered up. I don't want to wait too long, though. Maybe after I finish The Longest Journey. Or Indigo Prophecy.
  • edited May 2006
    This is probably an empty complaint, but I am a huge fan of Jeff Smith's BONE books, I work at a comic book shop and we still have a few issues from when it was a black and white issue based comic. Anyways, I haven't bought the game because, well I have three letters to describe my issue.....OS X. I am a Mac user and while many publishers are finally marketing to us, I can understand why its not that cost effective. But that's my reason. If it were Mac compatible I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  • edited May 2006
    Do you take paypal?

I don't have a credit card
  • edited June 2006
    I want to buy both bone games but I haven't got the money to spare right now. I'm getting married in less then a month and it's been tight. I want to buy the packaged versions together since I'm a sucker for any packaged goods.

I've read Bone since I was around 14 years old in the late 90's and first played Sam and Max even earlier then that so having one company making games for 2 of my most beloved "franchises" (I guess you could call them) is pretty awesome.

My fiance wants to play the bone games too. I made her play Curse of Monkey Island and she loved it and since then she's played MI1, MI2, Day of the Tentacle and tried Hit the Road but sadly she couldn't get into it..... it broke my heart. :(
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2006
    Do you take paypal?

I don't have a credit card

Sure do. :)

xChri5x, sounds like the Bone games would make a good wedding present! You should add them to your registry. :))

Also, CitizenMarvel, you're not the only person who'd like a Mac port. A lot of Telltale employees are Mac users.
  • edited June 2006
    I've tried both demo's and they've run a little slow too. I need more RAM.
  • edited June 2006
    Is there something holding you back?

Yes, indeed. I don't want to see other AG companies going the way of TellTale with episodic approaches. This is the business model of the TV industry - break a story into a million episodes, make it popcorn-addictive, squeeze every penny out of the viewers [who pay delivery fees (i.e. monthly cable fees) and also pay for each episode by sitting through a ton of commercials]. I'd much rather pay $xx to buy a 2h movie on DVD and own it with (arguably) no string attached. Life is too short for sitting though endless sitcoms and such.

Second, I refuse to accept DRM as implemented by Steam and TellTale. It simply kills the whole experience (call it illusion, if you will) of owning a game product. By having a product which enforces activation, one becomes dependent on the publisher who may at his discretion pull the plug on your game at any point in the future. I don't want to be contemplating scenarios about my internet connection going down at the worst moment or TellTale going out of business and taking their DRM servers with them. Not that I can't take care of any DRM protection by finding an appropriate crack, but it's a hoop I don't have time to deal with. While I understand the need of encapsulating the games with DRM protection for online delivery, I don't see why activation would be required for CD/DVD distributions which already have copy protection in place (StarForce, etc).

Also, such activation schemes are a way of empowering the publisher to play price-fixing games. This is, because the consumers are not free to trade their copies of the games and sell them on E-bay. This goes against the principles of free market economy. Pirate-warding is a pointless argument - these folks can go around any protection and have ways of distributing their hacks around. It's the regular AG fan, who is happy to pay for his games, who gets punished here.

So, while I've bought and own almost every AG there is (DOTT, S&M, FT, GF, TLJ, Syberia 12, IP, BS 123, GK 123, MI 1234, MoS, TT, you name it...), I haven't purchased Bone 12 because I find TellTale's business model unhealthy for the AG community. You guys openly admit that you are trying hard to turn your products into a franchise much like a TV series. I don't agree that this is how Adventure Games should be. A good adventure game should be like a first class movie rather than a lengthy TV Series spanning multiple seasons. My thoughts are with the AVS folks, who are all about releasing a full-featured game the traditional way (albeit it may take some time and incur financial risk).

So, TellTale - want to get me and my $$ on your side? Well, here is the magic formula:

Package the Bone series on a DVD, apply any copy-protection you like (but not online activation), and put it out there priced competitively against other adventure games. Then I won't feel like I am getting something incomplete and leased out, but something I will actually own. Call me traditional, but it's the only way I'd invest in a game (even if it is S&M). :-)

All this criticism aside, I applaud you for getting rid of the middle man in the game distribution chain. Self-publishing game products is the way to go. I'd rather buy directly from the game studio than Amazon.com. You seem like a talented team which holds a lot of promise once you find the right business model.
  • edited June 2006
    I didn't buy it 'cause I got a free copy for working at Telltale. So, Telltale - want to get me and my $$ on your side? Well, here is the magic formula: Stop hiring me.
    edited June 2006
    I didn't buy it 'cause I got a free copy for working at Telltale. So, Telltale - want to get me and my $$ on your side? Well, here is the magic formula: Stop hiring me.

Jeez. Next thing you know, you'll be demanding free copies of Sam & Max... ;)
  • edited June 2006

Hey even when I was offered free versions of the games I still bought them to support..support your own games..yes buy multiple copies to give you a false sense of achievement when you see those sales numbers B-)
  • edited June 2006
    -= Dear God - I hope the developers will be reading this post [[-o<] =-
    (maybe I should be swearing to make sure I get their attention :D - anyway...

I don't like the look of Bone, I didn't like the look of Grim Fandango or MI4 (not to mention the controls in MI4 - my god!) :( That's the sole reason why I haven't bought any of telltale games' titles.

I simply do not like the plastic coated look that has been dominating 3D AGs to date - and I really think it is too bad, because it really keeps me from seeing the charm and personality of the characters.
    I think that even in the old days, which I know will never return, the very pixellized characters had more charm than now, because back then, the graphical representation of most AGs far exeeded the overall "realism" (or whatever) of other types of games (shoot-em-ups, sims, action, etc.).

Nowadays, the developers of AGs often have to slim down the game requirements (probably based on extensive market research - I hope). This means that they have to use basic shaders and that sort of stuff - Only, IMHO, maybe they shouldn't.

Many of you may not know the game "Sheep Dog 'n Wolf". When I tried this game back in 2001, I thought to myself: "Now there is a successful comic adaptation! Best ever, to be completely honest."
    I think the engine concept (perhaps strongly updated and modified for the specific task) would be great for many of the future AGs of these times as it would allow the designers to REALLY bring back the charm to comic based AGs (non-human characters). The character animations are really funny and it is simply a great game! (although, by now maybe a bit out of date)
    Take a look at this link (the actual game looks better than the screenshots) and this link.

If you are interrested in seeing the game in action, you can download it here .

I will never give up hoping.
  • edited June 2006
    I really like the general look Telltale are going for in the Bone episodes and have a very reticent attitude toward the idea of using cell shading (which the game you mentioned as an example appears to employ.)

For one, cell shading wouldn't even really reproduce the look of the comics; there's a lot more 3 dimensional looking shading in the coloured versions than in, for instance, traditional animation, and a major feature (to my eyes at least) of the comic's look is the careful use of differently weighted lines, something which cell shading's automatic outlining couldn't hope to replicate. The sort of "wriggliness" and squishiness of the characters (I can't think of a better way to describe it) is also something I can't imagine being translated effectively to 3D graphics, regardless of any shading effects. It's much better, I think, to try to adapt the general look of the comic, as Telltale seem to be doing, than get hung up on the specifics.

Your apparent belief that non-cell shaded 3D graphics can't posess charm is something I just can't understand. It's true of most, but you shouldn't let that blind you. If you play the demo of The Great Cow Race and still find the visuals charmless, I have sincere pity for you.
    Hey even when I was offered free versions of the games I still bought them to support
    You're making me feel like some sort of shirker for not having bought The Great Cow Race (and the books) after I won it (them).
  • edited June 2006
    Totally love this game. Yes the first one did cost too much for how long it was (luckly for me though I bought it when it was $15 seeing the older posts) and was too easy. Great game though and loved it so much I had to buy the next one right away. But the cow race was a nice increase in diffuculty/time and hope it continues to get a bit longer/challenging. Just a little bit. I just don't want a complete walk in the park.

Can not wait for the next one!! Good work! Keep it up
  • edited June 2006
    Speaking of the next one, is that still going to come out in the 5-6 months after Cow Race timeframe or is Sam & Max stalling it a bit?
    edited June 2006
    Can't say anything about that just yet, I'm afraid.

Hey, look over there! A three-headed monkey! ;)

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum, Netrat! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Cow Race.
  • edited June 2006
    The reason I haven't bought it yet is a $170 copy of Loom, two Amiga USB joysticks, two expensive doctors bills and some old Gameboy Final Fantasy games :)

I will get around to buying it soon enough though :)

The Amiga had USB ports?
  • edited June 2006
    The reason i didn't buy bone: out from boneville? well... for some reason when i downloaded the demo i got the full game... despite not being able to save i was able to play the full game... no, i didn't crack it or anything... i still got the "buy bone online etc." message when i run it but then i could play the whole game... weird...

Matt
  • edited June 2006
    It seemed too easy to me. I've got my hopes up for Sam&max to be more challenging
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2006

Loom costs $170? It's only about three hours long. Clearly we are not charging enough for our products....
  • edited June 2006
    Loom was a really fun game though. Speaking of old adventure games, one game I never ended up playing was simon the sorcerer. By the time I heard of the game it was really old but not quite abandonware... Even a few years back I checked and the company was still preventing it from being deemed "abandoned".... I don't think it would even work on xp without some helper programs.

Maybe telltale could make a new loom...
  • edited June 2006
    A lot of the people who visit this forum have probably already bought The Great Cow Race. (If you did, thanks! :)) Now, I'm curious to hear from those who haven't bought it yet. Why not? Do you have plans to buy it sometime in the future but haven't gotten around to it yet? Is there something holding you back?

There's no right or wrong answer to this question... we just want to understand who our customers are and what's on your minds. So it'll be interesting (and useful!) to hear what people have to say about this.
    I know that this was asked a while ago, but I thought I'd finally throw my two cents in. You at least deserve to know my thoughts on it, whether you'll agree with them or not.

The reason why I have not bought it yet is because of exactly what TellTale is pushing through: the episodic nature of the games.

I expect TellTale to do exactly what is done very frequently with media such as this. When the game is considered to be complete, there will probably be some über-deluxe package that will include all of the episodes, all of the comics, plus a ton of extras bundled into a "Collector's Edition" at a cost that is a much better value than the individual pieces. Additionally, unless it's something that I really, really must have now, I'm not a download guy. I want the media. So, if I buy each disc as it comes out and TTG does finally release some über-deluxe package, chances are it will include the game, which I would otherwise already own.

Look at what our good friend (*cough*) Lucas has done to milk the Star Wars franchise. Now that all of the episodes are on DVD, here comes yet another set that now has extras like the original, theatrical versions of 4, 5, and 6. So, anyone who buys that and already bought the "As I Still Claim I Meant Them To Be" DVD releases will now have two copies of the Special Editions just to gain access to the theatrical edition.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what TTG is going to do. I don't know. I don't work for them. (I'd love to, but being on the opposite coast sort of creates a commuting problem.) But since there are multiple comics and multiple episodes, I would not be surprised at all to hear that TTG plans on doing that in the future. Going on that assumption, I'd rather wait and buy the whole thing later.

Now, I know the whole "But you'll be supporting them NOW when they certainly could use sales and the capital to keep them going!" that I'm sure some of you are ready to throw at me. I understand that. But unless it's something that I really have to have NOW (like when The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was being released), I can wait. And frankly Bone does not have enough of my interest to warrant me purchasing it as this moment. Put out a Collector's Edition if/when the series ends, and it's mine ... unless The Great Cow Race actually is the end and I missed that somewhere.

That being said, I put Sam and Max in the same "Must Have" category as The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Each episode will be mine as they're released. Bone just isn't in that category.

Anyway, Emily asked, I answered. Let the criticism begin.
  • edited June 2006
    The Amiga had USB ports?
    The Amiga had the standard 9-pin serial joysticks that the C64 had. USB was not released until January 1996, two years after Commodore was driven into the ground.

Most likely, he's referring to Amiga-style joysticks that have a USB adapter or actual, Amiga joysticks that were retro-fitted or have a USB adapter to be used primarily with an Amiga emulator on a PC or a Mac. I see lots of those adapters on the Intar-web to let you attach Nintendo, Commodore/Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, and other types of joysticks to your PC, which then work with an emulator.
  • edited July 2006
    Hear? Hear?

Episodes suck. Complete full-length games rocks :)

Activation sucks. Nobody wants any umbilical cords with TellTale. :(

Until tese issues are addressed - I don't need no bones or cows :))
  • edited July 2006
    Most likely, he's referring to Amiga-style joysticks that have a USB adapter or actual, Amiga joysticks that were retro-fitted or have a USB adapter to be used primarily with an Amiga emulator on a PC or a Mac. I see lots of those adapters on the Intar-web to let you attach Nintendo, Commodore/Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, and other types of joysticks to your PC, which then work with an emulator.

Amigas had specific joysticks?!?!
    What the hell was I playing on from 88-93?!?!?

It had better not have been the Kelloggs variety packs!
    Tricked again!
  • edited July 2006
    If you haven't bought it yet... why not?

Though question... and it's not because I don't know why I haven't bought it yet, it's because I just don't know where to start. So many reasons.

I'll start with the game itself then. Let's talk without euphemisms: it's mediocre. I enjoyed combining rubber duckies with clotheslines and clamps in other games, but what am I doing in the demo of the episodes? Good question actually, is there even a puzzle? Well, I clicked to unfold a map from under a rock.

I won't complain about the graphics, since I enjoy even the oldest games. Also, now people with old computers have something as well.

As for the story, the demo doesn't give me a good enough impression of how the full game will be. Maybe that's a sign of the full game having not much to offer? I don't want my money wasted. And even if the full game had something to offer, my money would still be wasted, since there is a timebomb on the game, which leads me to the next point:

I don't want the games I bought to be on the servers of someone else, I want to own the game MYSELF. Not only will I be unable to play your game in the future when your company quits, but also when my, or even worse, YOUR internet is temporarily down.
    And don't give me the tired old "piracy" reason either, Oblivion sold millions of copies and doesn't have a single piece of copy protection! nothing! Not even CD checks or so! sure it does get pirated, but so does your game!

Bottom line, if you want your game, you don't do that with intimidating copy protection schemes that pirates will get around with anyway, you do it by creating a good game!
  • edited July 2006

Loom costs $170? It's only about three hours long. Clearly we are not charging enough for our products....
    Well to be brutally honest, Loom is a lot better than any of your products so far :)

But Lucasarts games are REALLY good so don't take offense :)
  • edited July 2006
    I haven't bought it yet because I don't have a fancy Macintel machine that can run Windows :)
  • edited July 2006
    :)) Sounds to me like TT is is not doing well by selling bones-on-a-string. I bet that Bones didn't sell nearly as expected. Not even S&M can cure a rotten business model.

Speaking of S&M - I most sincerely hope that the product will stand up to the hype. Just look at Pirates of the Caribbean 2 for a case-in-point of how bad remakes/follow-ups can be. The offspring may be breaking the all-time opening weekend records (mostly due to the pop's legacy), but the series will crash and burn soon once the negative reviews start pouring in and people realize that it's a bore.
  • edited July 2006
    :)) Sounds to me like TT is is not doing well by selling bones-on-a-string. I bet that Bones didn't sell nearly as expected.

Though I hate to disappoint you, various interviews indicate otherwise.
  • edited July 2006
    Just look at Pirates of the Caribbean 2 for a case-in-point of how bad remakes/follow-ups can be.

Actually, I really enjoyed it :)
  • edited July 2006

:)) Interviews schminterviews - take them with a grain of salt. The sales figures are all that matters. People vote with their wallets, you know. And I don't see why they'd want to put up with any of this *beep*. Root the weed before it spreads. Say NO to Valve/TellTale. [This message was brought to you by *censored* ]
  • edited July 2006
    Bring back Sinclair Spectums and Vic 20s. Down with anything "new". It scares me so.

(etc)
  • edited July 2006
    :)) Sounds to me like TT is is not doing well by selling bones-on-a-string. I bet that Bones didn't sell nearly as expected.

Dude, how do you figure that - This is a thread where people where specifically asked why they didnt buy one of the Bone games - Most people just seem to want a Mac port? B-)
  • edited July 2006

:)) Interviews schminterviews - take them with a grain of salt. The sales figures are all that matters. People vote with their wallets, you know. And I don't see why they'd want to put up with any of this *beep*. Root the weed before it spreads. Say NO to Valve/TellTale. [This message was brought to you by *censored* ]

Don't forget 3D Realms, they are fond of including on line authentication in their games as well. They tried to do it in Prey, but had no time anymore before the release, fortunately.
    It's safe to bet Duke Nukem Forever will have on line authentication :(
  • edited July 2006
    Down with the Internet! Back to telegraphy!
  • edited July 2006
    It's safe to bet Duke Nukem Forever will have on line authentication :(

Bah! The internet will be long gone by the time Duke Nukem Forever is released ;)
  • edited July 2006
    Well the reason I didn’t buy it is because they wouldn't ship to a P.O Box address. I know it is downloadable but I wanted it as a gift for my little sister who loved the first one. Is there any other place I can have this shipped to me? Or is this the only place I can get the game?
    edited July 2006
    Hi Cheb,

Did you try selecting different carriers from the drop-down menu? Sometimes a carrier like UPS or FedEx won't deliver to a PO Box, but USPS usually will....
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Emily,

Well I am located in the Middle East so the only 2 options I get with the drop-down when it comes to shipping is UPS Express and International Post. I don't get a USPS option.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.