Wallace & Gromit in The Last Resort - Now available to download!

If you're a season owner, we're sending out the emails right now, but you can get a head start and start downloading at http://www.telltalegames.com/download/thelastresort

If you haven't gotten on board yet, you can still pick up the season at http://www.telltalegames.com/store/wallaceandgromitsgrandadventures and play the first two episodes!

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Gah, this time you're thirty minutes early! I just got the e-mail!

...Still cramming for my last final tomorrow. I'll just download and install the game now, and fire it up tomorrow afternoon.
  • edited May 2009
    Downloading already. We seem to get 30% more content than FotBB!
    Geeee, I hate to go to work now :(
  • edited May 2009
    How come you never released a release date? My jaw just dropped when I read this, how could this be!?
  • edited May 2009
    They don't have to tell you when they are going to release something, they are going to release it when they want to. Also, I do remember hearing that it was going be released it May. Well its May and for me that means 31 days of possible release dates and they chose now.
  • edited May 2009
    I recall one site in particular (i think it was mixinmojo) that said telltale planned to release it today.

I'm glad the speculation was correct.
  • edited May 2009
    They don't have to tell you when they are going to release something.
    They don't have to, but it would be nice if they would.
    I am just glad that I have changed my ISP lately and my rate is no longer dependent on the download volume: 444MB - Wow!!! - The size of the "Sam & Max" episodes is just around 100MB (and they have mouse control! :p).
    Ok, enough of the moaning: Can't wait to get started now, as the download has just finished... :D

Edit: About the file size: As W&G is only sold as a complete series (you cannot purchase single episodes), is it really required to include the same "preview" and "tutorial" that have been in the demo already, in every single episode?
  • edited May 2009
    I've only played a couple of minutes into the episodes, but looking great so far. Still, c'mon, still no separate volume controls? The music volume is driving me nuts already...
  • edited May 2009
    When will the Steam-Version be out?
    I just restarted Steam and the Episode was not there :(
  • edited May 2009
    Yep, no sign on Steam yet...
  • edited May 2009
    Still not on Steam, argh!
  • edited May 2009
    They don't have to tell you when they are going to release something, they are going to release it when they want to. Also, I do remember hearing that it was going be released it May. Well its May and for me that means 31 days of possible release dates and they chose now.

Well it's already released, and they usually give a pre-date time, for some reason they just released it this time..
  • edited May 2009
    i dident buy the season, and clicked on the download link (i thought it was a webpage)
    and now its downloading.i guess ill play the demo then.
  • edited May 2009
    Oh, wasn't expecting it so soon, especially when my computer is somewhat "lazy" at the moment :_( So then, it's time to get my hands dirty with it, can't wait to play it :D
  • edited May 2009
    No demo?
  • edited May 2009
    Was expecting the game today, although it's a bit weird to see no blog announcement to go along with the new homepage image and e-mail. Anyway, time to play!
  • edited May 2009
    Was expecting the game today, although it's a bit weird to see no blog announcement to go along with the new homepage image and e-mail. Anyway, time to play!

It's because Emily usually writes the blogs, but she was out of the office yesterday. By the time 9pm rolled around I didn't feel like writing a blog, so we left it 'til today :)
    Awesome5 wrote: »
    No demo?

The demo is a separate download for Wallace & Gromit. http://www.telltalegames.com/download/wallaceandgromitdemo
  • edited May 2009
    Another great episode! I'm having so much fun playing, and I'm not even done yet! Well done again! :)
  • edited May 2009
    Great I didn't expect it to come so soon. :D
  • edited May 2009
    tabacco wrote: »
    It's because Emily usually writes the blogs, but she was out of the office yesterday. By the time 9pm rolled around I didn't feel like writing a blog, so we left it 'til today :)

The demo is a separate download for Wallace & Gromit. http://www.telltalegames.com/download/wallaceandgromitdemo

I meant, is there no demo for the Last Resort?
  • edited May 2009
    Awesome5 wrote: »
    I meant, is there no demo for the Last Resort?
    And he meant "There isn't one, just the general series demo."
  • edited May 2009
    I liked what they did with the house, something I would really want as a kid. But it was way too easy.
  • edited May 2009
    OK, I've played through the first two acts of The Last Resort, and, as its predecessor, the game is absolutely delightful, pure entertainment. Also, it's remarkably faithful to the Wallace and Gromit universe - it does feel like watching and interactive W&G movie, which is quite an accomplishment.
    I have only one minor gripe, the puzzles are too easy, but apart from that, the game is practically perfect. Hats off to Telltale!
  • edited May 2009
    Awesome game again guys. I'm still amazed with the quality of the animation in this series, really jaw-dropping at times. Lovely atmosphere, and the
    whistling-scene
    at the end was brilliant, really looking forward to the next episode. Was that a reference to Kill Bill?

I said it before and I'll say it again, please give the next season of Sam & Max the same cinematic approach, direct control really is the way to go. The possibilities are endless!
  • edited May 2009
    Great job with the second episode Telltale, have played through about half of it now, Wallace and Gromit is easily the best series you've produced. Animation is excellent, and once more the game looks good to boot!

Will also add that direct control is the way to go, am loving sitting back in my chair and being able to play this with my wireless controller rather than the mouse.
  • edited May 2009
    Ok, that was quite a good episode :D I loved the mistery setting and although the puzzles could be a bit harder the way they were linked with each other was pretty cool.

So far those could definitely work as W&G shorts, they look gorgeous and retain the feeling of the series perfectly. Great job ^^
    Zelda reference was awesome
  • edited May 2009
    Oh god, I feel like I'm betraying my Telltale fan-ness coming to this series so late - I haven't been able to afford it until this week. I've now played episode 1 and 2 and they're both marvellous. The graphics are brilliant - the car chase at the end of Fright feels like an enhancement of the one in Dangeresque, and kicks the arses of the Sam and Max car puzzles by miles.

As much as I'm a tad worried about having less and less episodes with each season, it does mean that the variation, length and look is improving. However, while the amount of glitches has lessened (presumably due to not having to meet WiiWare deadlines anymore), there's still characters appearing where they shouldn't, stuff happening at the wrong time, issues with item selection, and while it feels more reliable than Strong Bad, it's still not at the Sam and Max level of perfection.

Another problem I found - the lack of dialogue trees. I really had trouble with the
    cheese/helmet puzzle
    because I just didn't know I could select it, while in Sam and Max you could just talk to the character about it. It feels a little bit pixel hunt-ey. Then again, one benefit of no dialogue trees is that it helps the pacing, and eliminates a problem I had with Strong Bad where the icon doesn't change but the conversation does (so I didn't know about the Strong Bad wind-up doll)

As soon as I discovered the new control scheme I started panicking. But I got used to it, and in the end I rather liked the new levels of freedom - no more confusion over where your character can and can't go. However, it requires too hands, and me I like to lean, stretch and eat while I play, because I'm lazy. :P I would say having both keyboard and mouse controls would be best in the future.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    The bit where Gromit
    hides in front of the cardboard cutout of himself
    is one of my favorite things in the series to date. I let out a big happy laugh when I saw it.
  • edited May 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The bit where Gromit
    hides in front of the cardboard cutout of himself
    is one of my favorite things in the series to date.

Me too. My thought process at the time went something like: *
    looks at cardboard cutout
    * "Didn't I try clicking that already? Eh, can't hurt." *clicks* "Okay -- wait, what?
    A cutscene?
    What's -- " *keeps watching* " ... Oh! OH!" *HUGE grin* "And I can finally
    reach that stupid button while they're on the matress! *clicks button and watches the scene play out*
    "Haha, yes!"

When done right, that
    "hidden in plain sight" gag
    never gets old.
  • edited May 2009
    OK, I've played through the first two acts of The Last Resort, and, as its predecessor, the game is absolutely delightful, pure entertainment. Also, it's remarkably faithful to the Wallace and Gromit universe - it does feel like watching and interactive W&G movie, which is quite an accomplishment.
    I have only one minor gripe, the puzzles are too easy, but apart from that, the game is practically perfect. Hats off to Telltale!

To follow myself up, I finished the game tonight. The third chapter was simply awesome - whoever had the idea to
    use that freakshow of guests in a crime mystery setting
    was a genius :)
  • edited May 2009
    The second episode was very well done. Events flowed seamlessly. But on several occasions I seemed to just stumble upon the solutions to puzzles. And, of course, I wish the episode were twice as long.
  • edited May 2009
    Me too. My thought process at the time went something like: *
    looks at cardboard cutout
    * "Didn't I try clicking that already? Eh, can't hurt." *clicks* "Okay -- wait, what?
    A cutscene?
    What's -- " *keeps watching* " ... Oh! OH!" *HUGE grin* "And I can finally
    reach that stupid button while they're on the matress! *clicks button and watches the scene play out*
    "Haha, yes!"

When done right, that
    "hidden in plain sight" gag
    never gets old.

Heh, that's exactly how it went for me. A really fun sequence, too.
  • edited May 2009
    BTW, if you haven't got it yet, listen to this while you download:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XJy_Pei_SA
  • edited May 2009
    BTW, if you haven't got it yet, listen to this while you download:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XJy_Pei_SA

Did they... did they censor the word "bleeding"??

Watching again...

"Don't give a ___ if ___ arm ___"

Catchy!

Listening to the whole thing... amazing how they censored all the references to suicide in a song about suicide. Anyway, moving on... >_>
  • edited May 2009
    off topic: i dunno, I thought of that song so I'm like: people will laugh this name pun

On topic: This was a great episode. Can't wait for Muzzled! I hope you guys keep doing those wacky act names

I mean like how the last act was called Chapter 4:
    Down the Drain
    . Keep it up Telltale! We non telltale people have high expectations!
  • edited May 2009
    The level of graphic quality in this game is great. I'm sure it was like this in episode one too, but the two month gap made me forget just how good it was. The only thing I don't like is when you're inside and look out the window to see the rain, as it just looks like a grainy TV effect. Gameplay is great, obviously focusing more on conversation based puzzles rather than item usage -- works good for this franchise, but please don't move into this with Sam & Max. I'm sure you know what you're doing, though. On an unrelated note, I like the different acts in the game and the titles that come before it, especially on the second act where the text was angeled onto the house. Little things like that is what I like. Still haven't finished the episode itself, as I still have to
    solve this crime
    !
  • edited May 2009
    great episode again... I agree that the puzzles are a bit too easy but this game is all about pure enjoyment and it is done perfectly. I really liked the ending too.. sets it up for the third episode nicely.
  • edited May 2009
    And there I was, minding my own business, trying to make the news lady happy, looking for cues for Wallace by hovering over random detritus in the scene*, when lo, I happened to be hovering over this (attached) as my girlfriend chanced to glance over my shoulder as she passed. Her comment was, "Well, yeah. Do it. That would cheer the old lady up."

* A really fun puzzle, makes me feel like I am guiding an ADHD kid/narcoleptic through a conversation that they are not very interested in/keep dozing away during. I imagine myself in the scene pointing at a cheese with a fat mickey mouse glove and coughing conspicuously. Then Wallace blinks thrice, looks confusedly at the lady, then at the cheese, and says "Uhh... it's, um, a smelly cheese!" And it just happens to make sense in the context (like some sort of heir to the insult sword-fighting puzzle); the old lady takes it as a coherent answer to her question, but Wallace seems no wiser as to what may have just happend, or how the puzzle was solved through him. He just looks around confused, but glad that somebody is on top of things.
  • edited May 2009
    Really excellent stuff. The presentation in the Wallace & Gromit episodes is superb, and it's really feeling more and more like playing a movie or an episode of the TV show. I loved that pan around the table at the beginning of chapter 3.
  • edited May 2009
    Kingsley wrote: »
    And there I was, minding my own business, trying to make the news lady happy, looking for cues for Wallace by hovering over random detritus in the scene*, when lo, I happened to be hovering over this (attached) as my girlfriend chanced to glance over my shoulder as she passed. Her comment was, "Well, yeah. Do it. That would cheer the old lady up."

* A really fun puzzle, makes me feel like I am guiding an ADHD kid/narcoleptic through a conversation that they are not very interested in/keep dozing away during. I imagine myself in the scene pointing at a cheese with a fat mickey mouse glove and coughing conspicuously. Then Wallace blinks thrice, looks confusedly at the lady, then at the cheese, and says "Uhh... it's, um, a smelly cheese!" And it just happens to make sense in the context (like some sort of heir to the insult sword-fighting puzzle); the old lady takes it as a coherent answer to her question, but Wallace seems no wiser as to what may have just happend, or how the puzzle was solved through him. He just looks around confused, but glad that somebody is on top of things.

haha
  • edited May 2009
    I must say, Jared's work was very good but I never really noticed it until this episode, the music is awesome, from intro to the end, it captured my attention, my favorite one is in the final scene. Superb job Jared!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.