Should I be worried that Destiny's lead writer is working on Telltale's Game of Thrones?

I'm a huge GoT fan (TV and books) and also a huge TellTale fan. The announcement of this series was absolutely a dream come true for me especially after having been disappointed by the terrible GoT games that came out in the past.

But to say the least I'm not very happy about Destiny's lead writer, who spent two years writing Destiny's story, joining telltale to work on Game of Thrones.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-writer-quits-bungie-to-work-on-game-of-thr/1100-6421791/

After having seen how woeful Destiny's storyline is, if this is the product of this man's two years of hard work, then I'm sorry but quite frankly he isn't good enough to be writing for Telltale let alone for its Game of Thrones series.

And to be honest, in my opinion Assassin's Creed truly was an AMAZING game but the storyline itself wasn't exactly a masterpiece by itself. Its important to realize that Telltale has a VERY different approach when it comes to story telling than what Assassin's Creed 2 did with theirs.

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks of this so please do share your opinion on the matter.

Comments

• Yes. You should indeed be worried. Does Destiny even count as a game with a story? If so it sucked.

• edited September 2014

Should I be worried that Destiny's lead writer is working on Telltale's Game of Thrones?

Alt text

• I haven't played Destiny, so I can't say anything either bad or good about its story, but I am unnerved that he sounds like he hasn't read the books. He says he's a 'massive fan of the HBO show' and that he has to step up his game to compete with the writers of that show.

I know this game is based on the HBO show, but there's an awful lot of details from the books I'm hoping they include which someone who only watches the show would be clueless about. If this is an independent story line, as I'm hoping it is, I'd like for all the writers to be familiar with those details.

• edited September 2014

I haven't played Destiny, so I can't say anything either bad or good about its story,

You can´t say anything bad or good about Destiny´s story, even if you had played the game, because there is pretty much no story.

I haven't played Destiny, so I can't say anything either bad or good about its story, but I am unnerved that he sounds like he hasn't read t

• I am willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

He may be the lead writer of Destiny, but I looked at the credit and there was six other writers who worked with him. Also, watching some reviews, the game may have been intentionally tampered with by Activision because they wanted to sell DLC (They have planed for 10 years worth of expansions.)

• (They have planed for 10 years worth of expansions.)

Holy shit, really?

I am willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt. He may be the lead writer of Destiny, but I looked at the credit and there was six

• I am not sure about the ten years worth of expansion, but I am sure about them releasing expansions. The collectors addition or something comes with an expansion pass for two expansions.

AlanSpencer posted: »

(They have planed for 10 years worth of expansions.) Holy shit, really?

• edited September 2014

I'd say you should be worried, but I don't have time to explain why. Just accept that you should and move on.

Now let me talk about bugger all for several minutes.

• edited September 2014

It was developed by Bungie and published by Activision as part of a ten-year publishing deal.

You were rigth.

Now we just have to see if this is a good or a bad thing.

I am not sure about the ten years worth of expansion, but I am sure about them releasing expansions. The collectors addition or something comes with an expansion pass for two expansions.

• You can say that again.

AlanSpencer posted: »

(They have planed for 10 years worth of expansions.) Holy shit, really?

• edited September 2014

I must admit I haven't played Destiny myself, so I'm probably not the best judge, but I have watched some gameplay and dude, did it suck.

No story whatsoever, the rest mostly stupid shooting. I am pretty pissed if I'm honest.

Let's be real here: Telltale didn't hire this guy for his godlike writing skills, but so they could advertise better.

'Guys, lead writer of Destiny here!'

100.000 more buys, I bet'cha. And so undeserved.

Destiny sucks

• There pretty different games.... most people ive talked to liked destiny. Maybe story was never a big factor in destiny

• edited September 2014

Writers, like actors, can have a lot of range. Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut is a great example of this. Usually he doesn't strike me as a good actor, but on that particular movie, under Kubrick's masterful direction, did what's probably his best performance of all time.

Or on a more related note, Gary Whitta, the writer of TWD's Around Every Corner, also wrote After Earth and The Book of Eli, both not exactly great written movies by any stretch. And still, Around Every Corner is quite exquisetly written. So again, don't worry too much just yet. Writers can write both great and awful stuff, they're human after all.

• TWD_1992 posted: »

Yes. You should indeed be worried. Does Destiny even count as a game with a story? If so it sucked.

• I'm not worried at all. I know the writer is gonna try his best and that's all that matters!

• Exactly. Anyone who hasn't played Destiny should watch this review and only then will they understand this game's trainwreck of a storyline.

joshua007 posted: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzopWRXK_r4

• Angry Joe. XD

joshua007 posted: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzopWRXK_r4

• Careful this review shows the ending err.. lack there of.

TAEHSAEN posted: »

Exactly. Anyone who hasn't played Destiny should watch this review and only then will they understand this game's trainwreck of a storyline.

• Referencing the show before the books makes me wary as well... The difference in depth makes the HBO version feel like cliff-notes.

I realize that the TV version is where the series gets a lot of its hype, but I hope it doesn't have to be the only thing that Telltale models their story after. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

I haven't played Destiny, so I can't say anything either bad or good about its story, but I am unnerved that he sounds like he hasn't read t

• Maybe the writer would be better at Game of Thrones than a generic space shooter?

• We can only hope...

Itchy_Tasty posted: »

Maybe the writer would be better at Game of Thrones than a generic space shooter?

• He's just working on the game it's not like he's working on every aspect of the series. You guys are being way to paranoid.

• I hope he proves us wrong then.

He's just working on the game it's not like he's working on every aspect of the series. You guys are being way to paranoid.

• i hope he's not working on any other telltale games.. dont want tales from the borderlands messed up

• yes we need him so that we can have sex scenes like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q90J7vQWY-U

• No it's not. If I'm paying money for it "I tried my best" is not going to cut it if it sucks.

I'm not worried at all. I know the writer is gonna try his best and that's all that matters!

• Yeah, they have Destiny's lead writer. But to say the game will suck? I think that even sounds more somewhat rude to be honest. Destiny didn't put it's story first anyhow. Telltale does. There's going to be a drastic difference because of that. Heck you could argue that if Destiny really had much of a story to begin with.

• edited March 2016

• edited September 2014

I heard that there were some game tester back in 2013 who said that the story was awesome. I learned that while watching Angry Joe's review

• Maybe he only excels in certain genres. Maybe he's not good at writing sci-fi, but good at writing fantasy. I've never played Destiny, so I don't know if it sucks or not.

• Sure the guy probably sucks. But that might be a convention of the genre he was stuck in or the company. Inversely, he'll be held to the standards of this style of storytelling and company's ability to tell a tale. If he isn't writing as well as they can, they wouldn't let him write.

So yeah, hate the guy. But don't think Telltale's just going to watch him bite into a pen, then lick a ream of paper for an hour and call it drama.

• Yeah, that's right! Shudder in awe of it's awesomeness!

That game... Shudders

• Its amazing PG sex scenes...10/10-IGN

Yeah, that's right! Shudder in awe of it's awesomeness!

• ;)

Nah IGN has no idea of what a good game is, they gave 'Amid The Ruins' 6/10 So, if IGN said 10/10, it would mean the game is horrible.

• Nah IGN has no idea of what a good game is, they gave 'Amid The Ruins' 6/10

So, if IGN said 10/10, it would mean the game is horrible.

Its amazing PG sex scenes...10/10-IGN

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2014

Actually, while lurking on NeoGAF, I was reading a thread about rumors of an alleged "Bungie insider" on Reddit discussing how story revisions were made a short time before the game came out. The alleged insider explained that large portions of the story were supposedly revised sometime around the departure of the Destiny writer who joined Telltale. Some of their Reddit posts (screen captured from the NeoGAF thread about the rumors) even states that the writer in question leaving was a "final nail in the coffin."

Of course, this is just a rumor so take it with a grain of salt, but I thought that it was worth considering.

Alt text

Alt text

• edited October 2014

This is so sad and no different than TWD falling apart after Vanaman's leave.

Now regarding Telltale's GoT. It looks like they'll also have George Martin's personal assistant help out with the game

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5661782/telltale-game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-assistant

But i don't know how different this is from Kirkman also helping out Telltale with TWD. Sounds to me like George Martin is just being lazy this time just like how he's been lazy trying to finish up the books.

Actually, while lurking on NeoGAF, I was reading a thread about rumors of an alleged "Bungie insider" on Reddit discussing how story revisio

• A better analogy would be Kirkman having Gary Whitta help with Walking Dead Season 1.

This is so sad and no different than TWD falling apart after Vanaman's leave. Now regarding Telltale's GoT. It looks like they'll also ha

• At least it wasn't Glen Mazzara.

A better analogy would be Kirkman having Gary Whitta help with Walking Dead Season 1.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.