Should I be worried that Destiny's lead writer is working on Telltale's Game of Thrones?

2»

Comments

• Did Kirkman choose him or Telltale?

A better analogy would be Kirkman having Gary Whitta help with Walking Dead Season 1.

• edited October 2014

Also, as others have alluded to, think of an author you know/like. I'm sure there are some of their stories that aren't well liked or as well written.

I'll give an example:

I really enjoyed Stephen King's Salem's Lot and Under the Dome, but rather disliked Insomnia because I felt it was too slow.

Plus, in the game business, I imagine writers are told what to do more so than traditionally published authors are. Less control. There will be a bit of a difference here as Telltale's games are story driven. It's the selling point. (Note: I haven't played destiny and know pretty much nothing about it other than the story is supposedly short)

He's just working on the game it's not like he's working on every aspect of the series. You guys are being way to paranoid.

• Kirkman did, I believe. I believe Kirkman was busy with other things at the time.

Did Kirkman choose him or Telltale?

• Me: is this game good?

IGN gives it a 10/10

Me: not gonna buy it

Nah IGN has no idea of what a good game is, they gave 'Amid The Ruins' 6/10 So, if IGN said 10/10, it would mean the game is horrible.

• edited October 2014

I wouldn't worry. His work on Destiny is obviously terrible.... like really, really terrible. But I have a sneaking suspicion one of the companies involved in the production (cough cough not Bungie) had the bright idea to save every ounce of good story for their 10 year DLC plans.... Though even the story they set down as the base is extremely shaky and has a "Righteous Good vs Utter Bad" tone I don't really appreciate in games (a little bit of timidness never heart a story. Games like TLOU and TWD thrive on the boarder line approach to humanity and who/what we really are and what we will do for selfish reasons). In the end we haven't seen the story he has written, we have seen the greed of a company ruin the story by giving you absolutely nothing but the meager basics to keep a crowd interested and a bunch of dead end branches for us to buy later. It's why I refuse to play the game.

• I will reserve judgement.

I will give Telltale the benefit of the doubt here, and hope that they hired a writer not based around the sheer ludicrous hype surrounding Destiny, but that they've seen other sample works and were impressed. It's quite common for a writer to have to produce a sample work set within the project their set to take on, before actually getting hired for it.

However, if Telltale hired this writer simply because he was associated with Destiny (and at the time that had a humongous amount of hype) then I will be surely disappointed. I would hope that considering the amount of money they've must've spent on acquiring the license, that they would then throw it all away because they made a hiring out of giddy hype.

Lets hope that's not the case here and that the writing will be up to the standards we expect when dealing with SOIAF.

• I think judging him based solely on his work in Destiny is really hasty. That'd be like someone forming their whole opinion of your work based on this one group project you did back in high school, where your teacher made you rewrite the story of Star Wars in a single paragraph while leaving out all mention of Darth Vader because we would get to that part in tomorrow night's homework assignment.

I mean if that's all we have to look at, of course we're going to jump to conclusions. But he didn't single-handedly write Destiny. And he likely had strict limitations on what he could do anyways. I don't think we should judge the guy until AT LEAST the first episode of GoT comes out.

• I think judging him based solely on his work in Destiny is really hasty

This seems like a good point. Granted, Destiny is no small project, but as my post above and a few other posts from different users alluded to, I don't think the issue is as black and white as it seems at face value. I suspect more was at play behind the scenes than what we know.

Of course, volunteer moderators are not Telltale staff, so I know as much as you all do.

nimbusstev posted: »

I think judging him based solely on his work in Destiny is really hasty. That'd be like someone forming their whole opinion of your work bas

• lol I was thinking of the same thing when I saw the news. But I think I will give the writer some benefits of the doubt until we saw the first development of the game.

• Yes panic now!! The game will have no true story but great gameplay.

• Yes, it sounds as if he never read SoIaF, but, if you saw the promo pics in the Game of Thrones A TT Game pages you'll realize that, he either likes to put random quotes from A Dance with Dragons in his promotional poster, or, the game is, indeed, set in ASOIAF's Fifth installement. Most especifically (I dare guess) in some wolfswood minor house sworn to Deepwood Motte (House Forrester, people say) and, that mayhaps has some sort of connection to children of the forest's weirwoods, I dare say.

I haven't played Destiny, so I can't say anything either bad or good about its story, but I am unnerved that he sounds like he hasn't read t

• edited October 2014

That man known the truth about game. Long live the angry army!

Twistee posted: »

Angry Joe. XD

• Yes the world is gone fall apart. This guy will write both GoT, TftB and all upcoming games by himself. The story will be about Destiny and not about the games theme itself. Oh noo so scared!!!!one!!oneone111!!!!!

• Is there still the possibility of TTG using a different writer every episode? If so at least they can swap up if the first episode is less than par.

• That's what they already do. Even then, I would not worry. As I said above, there are rumors indicating the story of Destiny was rewritten on a large scale after the writer left to join Telltale only a half year or so before the game's release.

Lee4ever posted: »

Is there still the possibility of TTG using a different writer every episode? If so at least they can swap up if the first episode is less than par.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.