Another series / license sewn up (or simply referring to Sam & Max?)

edited February 2008 in General Chat
From here;
"We're finalizing a plan for another game series, which will get new episodes out even faster," Connors said.

My gut feeling is that if Dan had been referring to Sam & Max, he would have namechecked them, not referred to them as 'another game series'.

Which leads me to believe that there is another as-yet-unannounced game series to be revealed. Also because Conners used 'series', not 'license' I hold out a little hope that Telltale consider themselves established enough with Bone, CSI and Sam & Max to have a crack at some original IP.

Would any members of the Telltale staff be able to drop by this thread and continue to not announce anything at all, yet make amusing (and irrelevant) quips that we can attempt to decypher for clues that don't exist?

Thank you kindly.

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Hey, that whole grasping at straws and making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing game sounds like fun... come on Telltale, give us something, just one word even, we won't bother you again for weeks.

It would be interesting to see what sort of original IPs Telltale would come up with as well.
  • edited March 2006
    Hey, that whole grasping at straws and making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing game sounds like fun...

Of course Telltale wouldn't be the first relatively new startup adventure game company to play such games, but then there's nothing new under the Sun anyway...
  • edited March 2006
    Hey, that whole grasping at straws and making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing game sounds like fun...

Of course Telltale wouldn't be the first relatively new startup adventure game company to play such games, but then there's nothing new under the Sun anyway...
    Hey... I at least still had fun with the whole Bad Brain speculation thing, even though they failed miserably and most people hate them now. Now, on with the ridiculous assumptions!

Umm... Calvin & Hobbes!
  • edited March 2006
    Will Telltale ever make up their own game idea? Seriously, licenses this and licenses that is all I ever seem to hear. You guys must have some creativity right? :)
  • edited March 2006
    Easy tiger. ;)

It's a heck of a lot easier to (and cheaper) to market / advertise known quantities than unknown ones, what with the established fanbase ready to tap.

I have no doubt that there will be original IP along in due course now that TTG are established and have a couple of franchises up and running.

But the company needs to make low-risk steps during the first couple of years as a risky original IP that failed could seriously harm their future.

Anyway, yeah, bring on the original games (but only once it's safe to do so...).
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2006
    Have you checked out Hold'Em?

http://www.telltalegames.com/products/tth01

It's not an adventure game, but it's original IP and we think it's pretty funny!

Kevin
  • edited March 2006
    It may be original and whatnot but it's still playin' cards. I guess I'll be waiting some time before I see an original Telltale game then. Just make sure you get some good licenses! Don't pick any licenses belonging to obscure european comics like most adventure game companies seem to do. :)
  • edited March 2006
    Monkey Island? The voodoo lady she has a contract for five games. There must be one more! :)
  • edited March 2006
    Although Lucasarts will proably never make another Monkey Island there is no way in hell they would sell the license. Because, as has been stated before, they are evil, fat and stupid. What's more Ron Gilbert would definitely have to have his hand in it for it to be the last game and from what somebody else on the forums has said he doesn't even want to know about Monkey Island any more, which, although it is indeed a shame is sadly just how it's going to have to be.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2006
    Monkey Island? The voodoo lady she has a contract for five games. There must be one more! :)

Did she say what the five games were?
  • edited March 2006
    Yeah, she was probably in Afterlife.

Or maybe an unlockable player character in RTX Red Rock. ;)
  • edited March 2006
    I didn't know Telltale had enough people to work on three games at once.
  • edited April 2006
    I didn't know Telltale had enough people to work on three games at once.

You would think that, but the entire telltale staff has learned the delicate craft of splitting themselves into two seperate beings like amoebas, they've managed to tripple their staff in the last month and it's still climbing!
  • edited April 2006
    learned the delicate craft of splitting themselves into two seperate beings like amoebas

Mitosis, it's called mitosis. Soon they will have an army with which to... uh... make lots of games? I don't know.
  • edited May 2006
    Oooooh. Looks like I may have been right! :D
  • edited May 2006
    Oooooh. Looks like I may have been right! :D
    You called it!

Now go find out what the secret is. Fly to California, plant some hidden cameras, and report back here.

I hope it's something I like.
  • edited May 2006
    I predict it will be something Batman related, as I'm always demanding a good Batman game, and Telltale have been wonderful to me so far. (Yes, I do believe the whole company strategy is dedicated to satisfying me.)
  • edited May 2006
    There was this movie when I was a kid that's ripe for videogames. I hope telltale have procured the license. Some of you will be familiar with it. It's called "Star Wars".
  • edited May 2006
    And how will telltale get a starwars license?
  • edited May 2006
    I'm going to predict (or just hope like hell) that the license could be Futurama. I remember a short while back when Billy West was blabbing on his website about the Futurama DVD movies that there was also talk of new episodes of Futurama on TV. Maybe he got his wires crossed and didn't realize it was about game episodes (with Telltale, of course). I know it's quite a bit of a stretch, but it's the only thing I can think of.
  • edited May 2006
    I think Telltale specifically said they didn't have the Futurama license in the Adventure Gamers forum chat, which I think came after Billy West's... whatever happened to his mind. It would be great though.
  • edited May 2006
    I think Telltale specifically said they didn't have the Futurama license in the Adventure Gamers forum chat, which I think came after Billy West's... whatever happened to his mind. It would be great though.
    Yeah, but that was a MONTH ago!

A lot can happen in a month. :D

I know, I'm fooling myself!!! :(( :-s

Maybe it's Discworld? :D
  • edited May 2006
    Maybe it's Discworld? :D
    Yes! Please, let it be Discworld!
  • edited May 2006
    We don't even know for sure that it's a license do we? Something original would be interesting too, though Discworld would be nice, and something in the DC Animated Universe even nicer. (Hint, hint.) I wonder how long it will be before there's some sort of announcement.
  • edited May 2006
    How would something like superheroes work as an adventure game instead of an action or platform game?

The only superhero I like is The Tick, if I may say so.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    How would something like superheroes work as an adventure game instead of an action or platform game?

Ever heard of Future Boy? Great adventure game, text-based with some cartoon illustrations, about a superhero. :)
  • edited May 2006
    artwking4: Spoon! The Tick and the Green Lantern are the only ones I like.

This is certainly an interesting topic to think about. Discworld would be a VERY cool option, and there are already 30 stories to choose from and expand upon. LOOM also comes to mind, since it was meant to be a 3-part series.

What I'd REALLY like to see is a game based on Greg Bear's novel "Darwin's Radio".
  • edited May 2006

Ever heard of Future Boy? Great adventure game, text-based with some cartoon illustrations, about a superhero. :)
    Oh, right. You told me about that one before. I keep forgetting to have money so I can buy it or something...

Of course, that's a comedy-based adventure game. Different rules apply. :D Still, if anyone could make an serious adventure about superheroes, I think Telltale could do it. I don't know how interested in it I would be, but I'm sure other people would be all over it like stink on poo. I'd try it though.

The game, not the poo.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    Oh, right. You told me about that one before.

I did? And you still haven't bought it? I must not be very convincing. :(
    I keep forgetting to have money so I can buy it or something...

There's a free demo. :D
  • edited May 2006
    Well, Batman, for instance, is the World's Greatest Detective, and this is arguably how he spends most of his time in the animated series. Also, when he does fight (particularly in his animated incarnation), he does so in a way that is far more reliant on anticipating his opponent's actions than action game style fights. Batman doesn't brawl; he waits for an opening, then lands a decisively timed blow. Something like the fighting system in The Last Express, or a simple rhythm game (as long as it stays as far from Fahrenheit style as possible), I think could reproduce Batman's approach to fighting very well.

Someone like the Green Lantern, who is reliant on concentration and ingenuity to utilise his ring effectively, could work well in an adventure game too. Even Superman in his animated incarnation is as much about brains as brawn. The advantage of the episodic approach too is that you could do some episodes from the perspective of normal people who get caught up in events involving the heroes, as one of my favourite episodes of Batman: The Animated Series (P.O.V.) did.
  • edited May 2006
    Yesterday, news broke of a Lost video game to be published by Ubisoft. Isn't that the publisher of CSI: 3 Dimensions of Murder? Hmm. Anyway, Lost would make a great adventure game. It must be driven by a great story, and immerse players in a world that they need to explore fully. It just wouldn't work as, say, a first person shooter.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    Lost is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal. A lot of former Microids people work there apparently (though who knows what that means for Lost). Hopefully the game turns out well. I love Lost.
  • edited May 2006

Don't you remember Scott Adam's text adventures The Hulk and Spiderman?

I do, and they were AWFUL! (so you're right, Superheros do not lend themselves to Text Adventures...) :p

As for a LOST "adventure" game;

Source
    Hit TV series 'Lost' inspires a global online game
    By Jeffrey Goldfarb, Reuters | 26 April 2006 10:19 AEST | General News

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 20 broadcasters around the world are uniting to run an interactive game based on the hit TV series "Lost", planting clues on different media formats to help solve a cryptic worldwide mystery.

The marketing initiative, announced on Wednesday, is a fresh example of how TV producers are seeking new ways to take advantage of the selling power of their most popular programmes by engaging fans whose media consumption habits are evolving.

"Cutting edge technology has vaulted us into a new era," said Steve McPherson, the president of ABC Entertainment, a part of the US network behind "Lost".

"Audiences are demanding greater depth of content and more creative ways of storytelling," he added.

The first clues for the "Lost Experience", as the game is known, will be shown on May 2 during the program's broadcast on Britain's Channel 4, May 3 on ABC and May 4 on Australia's Seven Network. Singapore's Channel 5 and Star India are among the others participating.

The game will follow a parallel storyline not featured in the TV show about a group of castaways marooned on a mysterious island following a plane crash.

It is not dependent, however, on having seen any specific episode because audiences in different countries are not being shown the series at exactly the same time.

MAKE THE CONNECTIONS

The broadcasters gave little indication of the game's objective or how long it would last.

"The experience provides insight to unlock some of the island's secrets for those savvy enough to collect the clues, make the connections and find the answers," they said in a statement.

Added Vicky Powell, a spokeswoman for Channel 4: "It's not about winning a prize, it's an opportunity to raise the level of the program and sustain interest for viewers."

The game is mainly Internet-based, but the broadcasters suggested that "any and every platform" could contain clues, echoing other marketing efforts that have used email, billboards, phone calls and fake Web sites to tantalise fans.

"It's like a giant, mysterious jigsaw puzzle that will come to life for all the world to solve, whether you are a fan of the TV series or not," said Mike Benson, the senior vice president of marketing for ABC Entertainment.

Dozens of sites already exist, including one for the non-existent Oceanic Airlines (http://www.oceanic-air.com) whose plane crashed on "Lost", though it is often unclear which were created by the show's producers and which are fan-generated.

"Lost" has been the fastest-selling TV series ever for Buena Vista International Television, the distribution arm for Walt Disney, which also owns ABC. The program has been licensed in more than 210 territories.

I also love the show, but I have grave fears that the longer the show is renewed, the more chance we're gonna get an unsatisfactory ending a la X-Files or Twin Peaks. :(
  • edited May 2006
    Hopefully the game turns out well. I love Lost.

I love pancakes. Make a game about pancakes. Do it now. PancakeQuest. Invasion of the Waffles. OMG!
  • edited May 2006
    I love pancakes. Make a game about pancakes. Do it now. PancakeQuest. Invasion of the Waffles. OMG!
    Telltale should use this comic sub-license:

Pancake MoFo's! (err... it's edited from what it really is :D )

http://chugworth.com/comic.php?id=104
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006

Best idea I've heard all week! If we're not working on it already, we should be.
  • edited May 2006
    I demand you do some research tomorrow at IHOP over breakfast.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006

Have you ever played Quest for Glory II and had your hero get lost in the desert?

Waffle adventure game -- already done.
  • edited May 2006
    once they make pancake quest they then need to declare pancakequest thursday! where you can only play pancakequest on the first thursday of march.. :p
  • edited May 2006
    once they make pancake quest they then need to declare pancakequest thursday! where you can only play pancakequest on the first thursday of march.. :p

This is only tangentially related but I was in the store the other day and I saw Eggo has pre-made microwaveable pancakes..

When did this happen? How freaking long was I out?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.