Another series / license sewn up (or simply referring to Sam & Max?)

13»

Comments

• edited February 2008
    I think they should do a game based on everyone's favorite Operating System mascot, Tux! Think of all of the adventures he could have in user-land, compiling kernels, figuring out why the heck his Xorg configuration won't work, maintaining packages...
    I think it would be great! ;)
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited February 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    I think they should do a game based on everyone's favorite Operating System mascot, Tux! Think of all of the adventures he could have in user-land, compiling kernels, figuring out why the heck his Xorg configuration won't work, maintaining packages...
    I think it would be great! ;)

Sure! But it won't run in Linux.
  • edited February 2008
    tux racer rules!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Sure! But it won't run in Linux.

I would love a Games For Windows-certified, DirectX 10/Vista-only series of episodic Tux adventures.
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    PenguinSlap.gif
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    I would love a Games For Windows-certified, DirectX 10/Vista-only series of episodic Tux adventures.

You could always just use some protection like SecuROM that prevents Linux users from playing the game. >_> *cough*
  • edited February 2008
    Be funny if Telltale gotten the license for the Ace attorney games, considering how the game follows the japanese legal system. However, the AA games are episodic
  • edited February 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    Be funny if Telltale gotten the license for the Ace attorney games, considering how the game follows the japanese legal system. However, the AA games are episodic
    They're not actually episodic. They don't follow the episodic formula at all.
    They aren't smaller parts of a whole sent out periodically, they're one large game that divides itself into chapters.
    Also, AA follows no legal system anywhere. It probably resembles Japanese courts more than American courts, but it's definitely not the same.
  • edited February 2008
    What the difference between a chapter and an episode?
  • edited February 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »
    What the difference between a chapter and an episode?
    Well, a game could be released episodically and call each episode a 'chapter,' so in reality it doesn't really make a difference.
    In the case of Phoenix Wright, however, it's like a chapter in a book- the book comes out, you pick it up, you finish a chapter and move on to the next chapter, so on and so forth until you finish the book and have to wait for the next book to come out.
  • edited February 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Well, a game could be released episodically and call each episode a 'chapter,' so in reality it doesn't really make a difference.
    In the case of Phoenix Wright, however, it's like a chapter in a book- the book comes out, you pick it up, you finish a chapter and move on to the next chapter, so on and so forth until you finish the book and have to wait for the next book to come out.

Well, they did release Phoenix wright case per case on the phone and the case in PW can be played by itself like S&M, so I don't see the difference, especially how it would seems unlikely that Telltale would release a game one episode at a time on the wii unless they really compress it; I'd imagine the wii's memory card is even less than that of an Xbox360 HDD.

I mean, both games have cases, but Telltale decided to release the cases every month so as to get the game out quicker and for game players not to wait till all the cases are out.
  • edited February 2008
    They're not actually episodic. They don't follow the episodic formula at all.
    They aren't smaller parts of a whole sent out periodically, they're one large game that divides itself into chapters.
    Also, AA follows no legal system anywhere. It probably resembles Japanese courts more than American courts, but it's definitely not the same.

But doesn't Sam and Max does the same where all the small cases releases to one another at the end of the season? Just because Telltale releases them out per case first before putting them together, does not mean they are completely different.

Actually, AA follows the japanese legal system, though they are a few changes. I mean, the basic set up where there are no jury, there is only one-judges and that the person is guilty till proven innocence.
    edited February 2008
    I've always thought that the Ace Attorney games use a very similar model to what we do, in terms of episode length, amount of re-use, etc (especially in the later games), with the significant difference that they put all the cases out at once, instead of one at a time. I think that series would be a great fit for a downloadable service (where is DSWare?).
  • edited February 2008
    But doesn't Sam and Max does the same where all the small cases releases to one another at the end of the season? Just because Telltale releases them out per case first before putting them together, does not mean they are completely different.

Actually, AA follows the japanese legal system, though they are a few changes. I mean, the basic set up where there are no jury, there is only one-judges and that the person is guilty till proven innocence.
    Yes, but instead of Sam & Max where episodes come out in short intervals until you reach the end, they all come out at once. Sure, there was the thing with the phones, but the game was already out for the DS at that point.
  • edited February 2008
    Yes, but instead of Sam & Max where episodes come out in short intervals until you reach the end, they all come out at once. Sure, there was the thing with the phones, but the game was already out for the DS at that point.

Even so, I don't think whether the game is released all at once or one per case makes Sam and Max episodic and AA not. What if the cases were called episodes in AA, would it still not be episodic? Also, the AA games can be released as individual case as seen on the mobile phones and as Jake said eariler, the cases seems fitting as an individual downloadable game.

Besides TT starting the whole episodic nature first, the only reason I can think of in why the game is released all at once and not per case is the price of cartridge production and lack of harddrive memory storage. The first three AA games are actually made for the Gameboy Advance, but were eventually ported to the DS because of how popular the first AA remake was outside of Japan. It would be expensive and illogical if Capcom released each case on a cartridge each few months or so.

However, with the DS having wi fi and the popularity of downloadable games are on the xbox live marketplace and the PSN, I don't see why Capcom cannot make several downloadble cases for the wii or DS(if Nintendo makes a flashcard.)
  • edited February 2008
    Even so, I don't think whether the game is released all at once or one per case makes Sam and Max episodic and AA not. What if the cases were called episodes in AA, would it still not be episodic? Also, the AA games can be released as individual case as seen on the mobile phones and as Jake said eariler, the cases seems fitting as an individual downloadable game.

Besides TT starting the whole episodic nature first, the only reason I can think of in why the game is released all at once and not per case is the price of cartridge production and lack of harddrive memory storage. The first three AA games are actually made for the Gameboy Advance, but were eventually ported to the DS because of how popular the first AA remake was outside of Japan. It would be expensive and illogical if Capcom released each case on a cartridge each few months or so.

However, with the DS having wi fi and the popularity of downloadable games are on the xbox live marketplace and the PSN, I don't see why Capcom cannot make several downloadble cases for the wii or DS(if Nintendo makes a flashcard.)
    Well, there's a roadblock on the DS because of limited internal memory space.
    And the reason AA is not episodic is because of the release schedule. Could it be episodic? Sure, if it had been released as episodes. However, they didn't release it like that. They might release future installments episodically, and that'd be just fine by me. However, up to this point, the game haven't been episodic (with the exception of the cell phone version.) And yes, I did know that they were released as GBA games first. I honestly don't know what your point is with that whole paragraph, because the same things that prevent episodic games on the GBA prevent episodic games on the DS. I mean, if they released a blank cartridge you could load up with downloaded games it could work, but otherwise, no.

In conclusion, the AA games are not episodic because they haven't been released as smaller pieces with shorter gaps in between, they've been released as a large piece with larger gaps between games. However, they could potentially be released episodically at some point, as we've seen with the cell phone bit.
  • edited February 2008
    Thanks for the head's up at mixnmojo.com, Jason!

New interview with Kevin Bruner
    Can you give us any hints about the two new episodic franchises you'll be announcing in the near future?

They're big franchises, even bigger than Sam and Max. One will be on WiiWare. It's been great to start with relatively small licenses like Bone, then move up to Max, then to these two new ones.

Any chance of a Full Throttle series?

Bruner still talks with LucasArts quasi-frequently, and they'd definitely be open to a FT game, but there aren't any plans for it yet. The two new licenses aren't LucasArts-related.
  • edited February 2008
    "even bigger than Sam and Max"? I thought Sam and Max was rather niche at best; is it actually wildly popular in the states?
    edited February 2008
    The interviewer was paraphrasing -- I doubt Kevin used those exact words -- and Sam & Max, while perpetually niche, is decently well known in the gaming world, especially when compared to something like... Bone... or Telltale Texas Hold'em :)
  • edited February 2008
    Okay, so let's do some math again:

Bigger Than Sam & Max + Not Lucasarts + Full Throttle being discussed + 1x WiiWare + 1x Non-WiiWare + 1x The Simpsons Game Lead Dev hired

=

The Simpsons adventure game

AND

Some very cool big franchise I cant think of now

PLUS

New Full Throttle episodes in 2009!

Think of it - what are the odds of me being wrong TWICE in a row?
  • edited February 2008
    Never quote me the odds!

Anyway, I'd imagine Chin being hired may have as much to do with him working alongside 1/2 the Telltale team at LucasArts back in the day as any link to a Simpsons game.

Hope you're right though, even if I'd prefer Futurama games to Simpsons.

And if Full Throttle episodes do eventuate, they clearly won't be available until 2015. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    Well, there's a roadblock on the DS because of limited internal memory space.
    And the reason AA is not episodic is because of the release schedule. Could it be episodic? Sure, if it had been released as episodes. However, they didn't release it like that. They might release future installments episodically, and that'd be just fine by me. However, up to this point, the game haven't been episodic (with the exception of the cell phone version.) And yes, I did know that they were released as GBA games first. I honestly don't know what your point is with that whole paragraph, because the same things that prevent episodic games on the GBA prevent episodic games on the DS. I mean, if they released a blank cartridge you could load up with downloaded games it could work, but otherwise, no.

In conclusion, the AA games are not episodic because they haven't been released as smaller pieces with shorter gaps in between, they've been released as a large piece with larger gaps between games. However, they could potentially be released episodically at some point, as we've seen with the cell phone bit.

Well, it didn't stop nintendo in the past of releasing games to be downloaded on a blank cartridge (the cable Super Nintendo service they had only in Japan.)

I think we swayed from the original topic, which was that AA can be made as individual downloads and not what is a person's opinion on what is episodic or not. We are not going to change each other's opinion on what is episodic or not and AA is similar to the format of Sam and Max with different cases with the exception of releasing the games as a whole or not; I mean, if they show two new episodes or a whole new season (this rarely happens, but it does when a series is cancelled before showing the remaining eps and is shown on another network like Sci-fi) of a television sitcom on TV, does that mean it is not episodic because the episodes were all shown side by side?

Also, here is the definition of an episode on wiki:
    An episode is a part of a dramatic work such as a serial television or radio program. An episode is a part of a sequence of a body of work, akin to a chapter of a book. The term sometimes applies to works based on other forms of mass media as well, as in Star Wars. Episodes of news programs are also known as editions.

As stated, episodes are a portion of a sequence of a body of work, just like how the cases are in AA. Being released individual or all at once doesn't define what is episodic and what is not.

Anyway, to get to the matter, Capcom or any other company they license the game to, can easily make new cases for the game to be downloaded. That was the main reason of the argument.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    Full Throttle being discussed

Did I miss something?
    edited February 2008
    An interviewer asked Kevin if we would make Full Throttle games, and I guess Kevin basically said, "I guess if someone gives us Full Throttle and says make a game of it, we would." Which clearly means that we're making it. (Don't show anyone a photo of the romper room, it would only confuse them. :) )
  • edited February 2008
    Oh god I hope it's not a license that's as big as the simpsons...
  • edited February 2008
    CSI's as pretty much as big as the Simpsons insofar as TV Ratings etc, I would figure (though obviously not quite an equal in merchandising).

My guess is that it's (they're) a TV or Movie license, and there's more brewing than just the Telltake Games. Jim Ward was right from a marketing standpoint to tie LucasArts releases with compatible non-gaming 'events' like movie & DVD launches.

I think the Blade Runner boat may have been missed, but there're a few other things on the horizon that I'm hoping get expanded on game-wise (not necessarily from Telltale, of course) - namely the new X-Files movie and the Dark Crystal sequel.
  • edited February 2008
    So big license.. I automatically think TV show. The wii-ware one I think would prob be more family orientated. Justin Chin I'd expect to be working on an action/adventure game maybe for xbox live. So throwing out some possibilities for the wiiware - Simpsons, Family Guy maybe something on adult swim
    the other license I'm guessing could be something like Heroes
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Did I miss something?

This is what happens when you take a bathroom break in the middle of a meeting.
  • edited February 2008
    A Johnny Bravo game. That's what we need.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm hoping for something more unique...
  • edited February 2008
    How can a licensed game be "unique"?
  • edited February 2008
    I have a hunch these are going to be moderately high profile franchises.
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    An interviewer asked Kevin if we would make Full Throttle games, and I guess Kevin basically said, "I guess if someone gives us Full Throttle and says make a game of it, we would." Which clearly means that we're making it. (Don't show anyone a photo of the romper room, it would only confuse them. :) )
    Yeah, what I found interesting about that tidbit was that it said: "Bruner still talks with LucasArts quasi-frequently, and they'd definitely be open to a FT game, but there aren't any plans for it yet. The two new licenses aren't LucasArts-related."

So it's obvious that Telltale aren't working on Full Throttle now, but just the possibility of such a thing ever being possible excited me.
  • edited February 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    I have a hunch these are going to be moderately high profile franchises.

...which is basically what Kevin Bruner said. "Hunches" are more interesting when they're not explicitly backed up by official sources from less than a week ago. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    But this way the hunches are more often correct. :)

I tried to kind of point out that it's pretty hard to be unique with high profile franchises. But I failed miserably.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.