What kind of MI fan are you?

After a long research...well not much of a research, but lets say after reading a lot of stuff coming from MI fans on this 9 years without news, i was able to divide the fan community in just three simple categories.
Wich defines you best?

1)THE KEEPERS OF THE TRUTH:
There are only 2 Monkey Island games. "Secret..." is the One true game and "Le Chucks Revenge..." its it prophet. If theres ever gonna be another MI game should it be designed by Ron gilbert, written by Ron Gilbert, produced by Ron Gilbert, developed by Ron Gilbert, and programed on computers that Ron Gilbert made and assemble with his own hands. Maybe Tim and Dave can help him build the computers, only that. All other MI games apart from the truly ones are crap, lies. Death to the infidels!:mad:

2)THE PRAGMATIC:
First and second part were brilliant. But admmit it: CMI was also an awesome game. Great. Wonderfull. Yes, maybe when they tried to explain the end of MI2 with LeChuck as a spokeperson, that was a little weird, but its only one little flaw, the game is beatiful, definitively a good part of MI. About 4...well...kind of childish.. and with big continuity problems...i dunno...i guess its like those family members who with you dont get along, you cant stand them, but its part of the fammily and you got to be tolerant and all that crap. Anyway, someone please tell EMI to pass me the salad. Im still not talking with it. :rolleyes:

3)THE "IM A REALLY HAPPY PERSON":
I luuuuuuv Monkey Island!!! Its gr8! LOL! I dont know what is all the fuzz about with the fourth, it was great, there was a giant robot! and those monkeys! sooo cute firing those balls of blue-insult-magic! And.. wha-?...........Herman Thootrot?.......what about him?......Really?....Was he on the first game?..You sure? I dont remember, and it doesnt matter! stop being so grumpy about it! Its alll gr8! As long as there are monkeys in the front i will buy it an luv it. :D

Well..im more or less in number 2. I tried to be really objective with the others. Yes, i failed misserably.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I fall somewhere between your 2 and 3.
  • edited June 2009
    I prefer the first two games, but the third is decent enough.
  • edited June 2009
    Since I started on the third game, followed by the fourth. Then playing the first two on my DS I'd have to say I'm closer to your third. So long as the games are as hilariously witty and challenging as before, I'm all game.
  • edited June 2009
    I consider myself solidly in the second category: The Pragmatic.

However, I do understand where "The Keepers of the Truth" are coming from, and would like to see a MI3 by, from, for, and with Ron Gilbert. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    pragmatic :)

though i liked 4 more than how pragmatics do :p
  • edited June 2009
    The kind of fan that would waste hundreds of dollars on the FM Towns versions of the games, even though they're basically the same :D
  • edited June 2009
    I still have not really played MI4 to know what the fuss is all about. I've played the beginning. I was a little weirded out that while the first game in the series can be played with just the mouse, the "last" game in the series had to be played with just the keyboard. But I could still play it I think.

So I'm somewhere in between Pragmatic and Happy Person....closer to Pragmatic, though. I also see where the Keepers of the Truth are coming from, though. I'd gladly accept a "true" MI3 from Ron himself any day to find out what exactly the Secret of Monkey Island is. I'd even replace it as the true MI3 and the current COMI would be something from an alternate reality.

....Hey, I wonder if it'd be possible to actually visit the alternate reality where Ron DID create an MI3? I wonder what that'd be like...
  • edited June 2009
    I dress like a pirate every day. I guess that pretty much covers what kind of MI fan I am.
  • edited June 2009
    2 all the way
  • edited June 2009
    I'm somewhere between 1 and 2. I think MI3 was a great game, but would prefer if Ron Gilbert could continue the story his way from MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    "You guys ! You guys !!! I'm totally tripping right now !!!" Monkey is Baaaaaaackkk (^_^") Aaarrrgh!

Fan fom the first to the last (even if the 4th has a bad gameplay).

Long life to Telltales !!!
  • edited June 2009
    I'm a 2 kind of person. I'd love to see the true MI3, but I liked CMI a lot. I replay the first three games every year or so, including starting them up again yesterday after hearing the news of TMI, but EMI I have a hard time getting back into. I finally bought the PS2 version off Amazon, and I'm hoping it will control a little better.

I've pre-ordered TMI and I'll stomach the keyboard controls if it means getting to push Guybrush around again.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm a "KEEPER OF THE TRUTH"!
    MI1: Wonderful
    MI2: The best
    MI3: good as a standalone game, awful as a sequel
    MI4: shy attempt to leave the exaggeratedly deformed toon style of CMI, nice backgrounds, good as a standalone game
  • edited June 2009

Although that may have to do with having started with 3, and 4 being the first one I've actually bought :P
  • edited June 2009
    3 all the way <3 MI for president!
  • edited June 2009
    I'm probably a 2.5. I played the demo of CMI, loved it. (Murray for life (or undeath)!) I played through EMI, thought it was also awesome. Given the opportunity to purchase (and actually be able to run) the others again, I would definitely buy the first three games.

I might be leaning more towards a 3 but I don't spell like that -at all-.
  • edited June 2009
    ChazFox wrote: »
    I'm probably a 2.5. I played the demo of CMI, loved it. (Murray for life (or undeath)!) I played through EMI, thought it was also awesome. Given the opportunity to purchase (and actually be able to run) the others again, I would definitely buy the first three games.

This + this
  • edited June 2009
    I'm kind of 2,5 but I have to make clear that I never talk or write like the third one ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Abel wrote: »
    I'm kind of 2,5 but I have have to make clear that I never talk or write like the third one ;)

Goes for me as well.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm between 2 and 3 as well. I don't consider 4 totally crap. I think that Ozzie's "master plan" of converting the Caribbeans into a touristic crap was somewhat hilarious and prophetic :P
    But for me the best part of all the Monkeys are the dialogues and characters: they're always great, no matter how many dimensions or what design the game has.
  • edited June 2009
    Somewhere between 2 and 3. I don't hate Escape, it had a decent enough story, just the game engine let it down. But 1 and 2 were brilliant, and curse is probably my favourite game of all time.
  • edited June 2009
    The kind that thinks about moneky island often, owns a monkey island tee shirt, all the games, plays Monkey island 1-3 on his ps3, accepts and loves even the fourth game . Fantasizes about metting his own Eliane marley. Tries to see Eliane in unexpecting women. When I go on vacation and am on pirate ships I think to myself and some times say out loud in the crowd, I want to be a pirate. I can still here the monkeys calling me. I drink BILGE water ! I love monkey island , Ive made my own fan games, listened to several sound track remixes, etc etc. The game series has changed before and when accepted I was able to fall right back in love with it in a heart beat so I am not worried about my exerpience with TellTale games.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know where I would fit in. I guess I'm a Keeper, although I have a love-hate relationship with both Curse and Escape. Neither is bad, but both miss the point oh-so-very-much.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd say I'm number 2. That's said, I still consider Secret of Monkey Island the best of it all...maybe I'm simply nostalgic and I miss disk swapping on my old Amiga :/
  • edited June 2009
    3-ish. All four games rocked. MI4 didn't rock as much as the others, but it was still thoroughly good fun in spite of a few bad ideas (Monkey Kombat) and the unfortunate control system.

(Still, that control system never stopped Grim Fandango becoming regarded as a game as close to art as possible and one of gaming's highest points).

Still, I'd like to think I'm as coherent as the first two descriptions, rather than the lolz of the third one.
  • edited June 2009
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    I don't know where I would fit in. I guess I'm a Keeper, although I have a love-hate relationship with both Curse and Escape. Neither is bad, but both miss the point oh-so-very-much.

I think that's an interesting way of looking at it. Games 1 and 2 felt the same. Whatever sorta mojo they had going for them came from the same Voodoo root. Curse and Escape feel like deviations from the original.

That said, I love the first three games, and I'm learning to love the fourth (I'm playing it right now for the second time ever. The first time I played it I hated it. This time, it's not as bad). I'm glad 3 and 4 were made and I'm excited about TMI, but my greatest hope is that we will one day be given a full blown Gilbert Monkey Island game that reveals the true Secret.

What does that make me? 1.5?
  • edited June 2009
    2.5 I guess.
  • edited June 2009
    1st, 2nd, and 3rd rocks. Yep.

Though I must say, while EMI is my least favorite, I don't hate it that much. I mean, the ending did get kind of weird, and I mean "Aliens-Invade-Indiana-Jones" weird, but there are some pretty funny moments, and that's basically all I need from an adventure game.

Well, I guess I'm some sort of a freakish hybrid between two and three, a 'throo', I guess.
  • edited June 2009
    Number 3, but I'm not that clueless.:rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    Between 2 and 3. Escape was actually pretty good, ignoring Guybrush's hideous face, until the end. Anything from being on Monkey Island and further was crap.
  • edited June 2009
    I love the first three, and they added more fuel to my sheer love of all things pirate.

EMI dissapointed me in the same way the Star Wars prequels did - I was it's main target audience and they thought they knew that demograph so well that they just wrote willy-nilly. The controls weren't the part that ruined it, I actually liked Grim Fandango's controls believe it or not, but the writing and plot holes really let it down greatly. That's why I'm so stoked about Telltale doing this. It's because I know they have a killer writing team(s).
  • edited June 2009
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    I fall somewhere between your 2 and 3.

My thoughts exactly! I loved the first two games (2nd being the best :P ), and i couldnt wait for COMI to come out, loved guybrush in the cutscenes but ingame graphics put me off to be honest. Elaine killed monkey4 for me and monkey kombat whoever thought that up needs to be shot.
  • edited June 2009
    I suppose I'm somewhere between 1 and 3.

How can I explain this? Hm. Well, I suppose it comes from that I don't like LucasArts art direction of late.

For example, with the upcoming Secret of Monkey Island remake, I'm terribly excited about the thought of that game with speech, but at the same time I'm very glad that I can turn the graphics off. The lanky turban kid of CMI was always a huge turn-off for me, and I could never get used to that Guybrush, or the reimagining of the setting.

Now I'm really excited about Tales of Monkey Island, because they have the curly clouds, and they have a Guybrush that actually sort of looks like Guybrush and has the feel of the MI 2 Guybrush, and that's great.

I don't think Gilbert is really needed for a good Monkey Island game, and I believe in the competence of Telltale, the only thing I don't like to see is a game that moves too far away from what made the first two games great, it doesn't become a bad game by doing so, not at all, it just doesn't feel like Monkey Island.

Providing something at least captures the feeling of Monkey Island, I'm hppy, and Tales of Monkey Island looks like it has a really good chance of doing that.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not sure what I am. I began with CMI. That was my first MI game. So I guess that sort of set what was the default MI in my mind. (Kind of like how the first MST3K eps I was were with Mike, so that was default MST3K for me). Loved the game. As for EMI, I guess I'm in the minority among big MI fans, because I really liked it. Like others, when I first heard about the control change, I was anti. But upon playing I quickly got used to it. Stylistically, I thought the humor was great. It felt right. I initially missed the art style (i.e. how Guybrush was no longer uber tall and lanky), but soon got used to the new style. I even liked the ending. Truth be told, when the final Monkey Kombat section started, I got all excited.

As for MI1 and MI2, truth is I've never played them in their entirety. I know, how can I even call myself a big MI fan. Well truth is, I downloaded them a while back, and played a bit. But I felt bad since I didn't technically own the games. But from what I played, I love them too.

So, I'm definitely not 1, as it essentially erases my favorite of the series (CMI). Plus, I'm not a big fan of what the folks over at TV Tropes call "Dis Continuity." I'm not a 2, as I like EMI, and have never finished 1 and 2. I'm closer to 3, though I don't think I'm as simple minded as your description of 3 suggests I'd be. :)

So I'm looking forward to both the remake of 1 (though I will probably play with original graphics), and Tales. The fact that Tales is 3D and stylistically reminiscent of CMI and EMI doesn't bother me at all, since that's what I'm used to. And having Dominic and Earl, among others, record the dialogue for the MI1 remake makes me quite happy.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm for the 3rd option. I don't mind being easy to please, it makes life more enjoyable. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Honestly, when I was younger I wasn't as much into gaming as I am now. So, unfortunately, I missed out on the original titles; however, I know that they are great and I know TellTale will do a great job, so I am looking forward to playing the updated original as well as the episodes!
  • edited June 2009
    what are the big continuity problems in 4 again?

i'm actually replaying that game now, and it's pretty hilarious and actually the graphics aren't that bad for what it is. it's at least more rich and vast looking than the screens for TMI so far if a little more blurry. still nothing like hand drawn the way it should be.

anyway, i'm a little bit of every option, i thoroughly enjoy all of them, but at the core i'm more like a 1. the first two are still the standard. but i'm not a bitter hardliner.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm somewhat of a pragmatic, allthough I think the story of EoMI weren't that bad, but the graphics, messed up control-scheme and quick-time events kinda ruined it..
    The 3 first were great tho, and I love the quick-action-menu of CoMI=)
  • edited June 2009
    Oh so Keeper of the Bloody truth.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm also between 2 and 3. I just love the story and the characters, and although the story was a bit weak in the 4th, I still loved it for being Monkey Island :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.