tales of monkey island is MI 5 or not?

I would like to know if tales of monkey island is the sequel to Lucas monkey island series or just a new series based upon original series?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    It's MI 6.
  • edited June 2009
    More precisely, it takes place after an hypothetical MI5. So it is a sequel to all the old games while not being a direct one.
  • edited June 2009
    It doesn't start with Guybrush hanging on a branch screaming for Jar Jar, no
  • edited June 2009
    They might as well refer to it as MI5, no need to confuse people.
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Island 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9?

If people get confused or hung up by the concept of a new Monkey Island series and the issue of continuity and/or numerical placement in the canon...

[Nelson Muntz]Ha ha![/Nelson Muntz]
  • edited June 2009
    Lechuck31 wrote: »
    I would like to know if tales of monkey island is the sequel to Lucas monkey island series or just a new series based upon original series?

Yes
  • edited June 2009
    Also, what did the Voodoo Lady tell you?

(there had better be an in-joke about that somewhere in the new episodes)
  • edited June 2009
    No, it is not the next official Monkey Island. It was stated during an interview that Tell Tale did not wish to tackle something as big as the next Monkey Island title, which would need a big team to revitalized the franchise. So instead they opted for a more manageable slice of cake.
  • edited June 2009
    So, these are unofficial Monkey Island games then?

What?
  • edited June 2009
    As far as we are conserned it IS MI5, because the so called ''real MI5'' doesn't exist :)
    Unless there are not telling us something!!!!1!
    Start the pointless speculation!
  • edited June 2009
    Romanito wrote: »
    As far as we are conserned it IS MI5, because the so called ''real MI5'' doesn't exist :)
    Unless there are not telling us something!!!!1!
    Start the pointless speculation!

I doubt, because I think tales of MI is a spin-off and not a directly sequel to escape from MI.
  • edited June 2009
    Masquerade wrote: »
    No, it is not the next official Monkey Island. It was stated during an interview that Tell Tale did not wish to tackle something as big as the next Monkey Island title, which would need a big team to revitalized the franchise. So instead they opted for a more manageable slice of cake.

thanks.
  • edited June 2009
    Lol.
  • edited June 2009
    It is the fifth Monkey Island game, so as such it would be correct to call it MI5. However, the only MI game to use numbers after it's title is MI2. CMI was never officially named MI3 and EMI was never officially named MI4. The correct usage of abreviations for the games should then be:

SMI, MI2, CMI, EMI and TMI.

Edit: In the same manner, no-one calls Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Zelda 5"
  • edited June 2009
    I doubt, because I think tales of MI is a spin-off and not a directly sequel to escape from MI.
    Well, it would be, except that there is nothing to justify that definition. It has the same characters, setting, continuity and it is in the same medium. To all effects it counts as a sequel unless a MI5 is announced.
  • edited June 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    The correct usage of abreviations for the games should then be:

SMI, MI2, CMI, EMI and TMI.

Too Much Information.
  • edited June 2009
    Grossman stating this is not Monkey Island 5. Events in Tales theoretically taking place after the non-existent Monkey Island 5.
  • edited June 2009
    I think Monkey Island 5 is that special one with the crossover sequence with Leisure Suit Larry 4.

Don't quote me on it though!

-m0r
  • edited June 2009
    Grossman stating this is not Monkey Island 5. Events in Tales theoretically taking place after the non-existent Monkey Island 5.

thanks. It is confirmed that tales of monkey island is not MI 5.

Thanks
  • edited June 2009
    thanks. It is confirmed that tales of monkey island is not MI 5.

Thanks

It's no more MI5 than CMI is MI3 or EMI is MI4. They are, however, the third, fourth and fifth game in the MI franchise.
  • edited June 2009

But if its non existent, then whats the point of even........

Never mind! :D
  • edited June 2009
    It's no more MI5 than CMI is MI3 or EMI is MI4. They are, however, the third, fourth and fifth game in the MI franchise.

No, CMI is the directly sequel to lechuck's revenge instead of tales of MI isn't the directly sequel to MI 4. See the interview.

It 's a fifth title of monkey island franchise but it's not MI5 (see the interveiw, If producer said that tales of is not MI5, I trust them). It's not the same thing.

It's like ultima and ultima underworld.
  • edited June 2009
    No, CMI is the directly sequel to lechuck's revenge instead of tales of MI isn't the directly sequel to MI 4. See the interview.

The new Indiana Jones movie is not a direct sequel to Last Crusade either. It's still a sequel, and the fourth movie in the franchise.
  • edited June 2009
    How do you know? I don't recall playing any games where Guybrush escaped the Carnival of the Damned. As far as I know, CMI could be a sequel to a non-existent MI3
  • edited June 2009
    I suspect the reason for the whole ''non-existent MI5'' is for Telltale to avoid having to untangle the continuity mess of EMI. Can't blame them :D
  • edited June 2009
    I take it as something akin to how Spaceballs 3 was supposed to be about what happened to Spaceballs 2.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    How do you know? I don't recall playing any games where Guybrush escaped the Carnival of the Damned. As far as I know, CMI could be a sequel to a non-existent MI3

CMI, it's after guybrush has escaped the carnival of the damned. In MI3, it is explained.
  • edited June 2009
    Explained or not, we never actually played or even saw the escape, now did we?

EDIT: Also: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=128119&postcount=7
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Explained or not, we never actually played or even saw the escape, now did we?

I did. And why are you guys talking about a "non-existent" MI5? It's real! I saw it with my own eyes, I swear. It was beautiful, everything I could have ever hoped for.

I also see unicorns on a regular basis. Especially after being pulled over by cops when riding with Neil Patrick Harris.
  • edited June 2009
    I think Grossman's quote is just his way of tempering the expectations regarding the game's production values, which are not going to be comparable to the earlier games (especially CMI, which was a hugely expensive 3 year project, the likes of which graphic adventure games aren't likely to see again). As a whole TMI would still be the fifth Monkey Island installment, whether or not it's as "direct" a sequel story-wise as some of the previous were. MI2 started several months after the first game, with Guybrush having become a real pirate and gathering all kinds of loot in the interim through adventures unknown. CMI left you to imagine how Guybrush actually escaped the Carnival and what let to the battle between LeChuck and Plunder Island that the credits play over. EMI starts off with an unexplained ship battle on the return trip of Guybrush and Elaine's honeymoon.

CMI and EMI were only ever called "MI3" and "MI4" because they were the third and fourth video game products bearing the Monkey Island brand. If people call TMI "MI5" it will be for the same reason, and nothing more significant than that need be taken from it.
  • edited June 2009
    WAIT there is a remake and a sequel coming !? For real ? AWESOME !
  • edited June 2009
    The new Indiana Jones movie is not a direct sequel to Last Crusade either. It's still a sequel, and the fourth movie in the franchise.

Actually I consider Crystal Skull to be Indy5 and Fate of Atlantis to be Indy4 (the best movie never made).
  • edited June 2009
    Kinda confusing, but I see what they are saying. It is not being developed by LucasArts with the budget and huge team that LucasArts would probably be able to throw into it, so they are kind of saying it's like a side project or something and not a full-fledged sequel. On the other hand, if you ask me, with the involvement of Ron Gilbert, Michael Land who did the music for the original, most of the voice actors from CMI, etc., it's as much a true sequel as it can be.
  • edited June 2009
    it is the fifth monkey island game, so as such it would be correct to call it mi5. However, the only mi game to use numbers after it's title is mi2. Cmi was never officially named mi3 and emi was never officially named mi4. The correct usage of abreviations for the games should then be:

Smi, mi2, cmi, emi and tmi.

Edit: In the same manner, no-one calls zelda: Ocarina of time "zelda 5"
    Geek!
  • edited June 2009
    Nobody calls OOT Zelda 5 because all the Zelda games are so messed up over the timeline there's no way to number them at all. And that's not even getting into the whole alternate dimension timeline thing.
  • edited June 2009
    Geek!

...coming from someone with more than twice my number of posts on a videogame internet forum!
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, I wasn't insulting you, I like geeks!

I thought it was funny!
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah! Well you fight like a cow!
  • edited June 2009
    I'm shaking! I'm shaking!

P.S. I'm the biggest geek I know.
  • edited June 2009
    I like what Grossman said. It puts my mind at ease a little. Telltale knows their place and respects what a TRUE monkey island 5 would have to be. That said, they're putting in the effort (aside from the graphic design) to make it legitimate which is very appreciated.

This makes me excited for the idea that maybe TMI will be some good cat nip for the masses which will then stoke LucasArts to really do it right. The other, pessimistic side is what if TMI falls short and then lucasarts writes the series off forever.

I just wish we could someday get a full Ron Gilbert helmed, preferably Tim Schaefer written, properly canonized Monkey Island 3. It would be such a criminal shame if that never happens. Every interview I've seen of Gilbert, it seems like he dreams of it happening the same way we do.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.