tales of monkey island is MI 5 or not?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Not calling it MI 5 is misleading, as if another full Monkey Island game is made they won't be calling it Monkey Island 5, either.

It is the fifth game to be released and it is considered canon.

In the game world, however, chronologically it takes place more around a 6th game. Additionally, it's not as epic a focus as a full Monkey game would be.

If we actually want a full epic (maybe even the true MI 3) Monkey game, I'm sure LucasArts will be looking at the sales of "Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition" more than anything, so everyone should buy that in addition to "Tales".
  • edited June 2009
    Its like a "LSL 4: The Missing Floppies" kind of situation, for those old enough to understand what im saying.
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was the last game in the series to officially have a number. So I'm sticking with TMI for this one as well.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was the last game in the series to officially have a number. So I'm sticking with TMI for this one as well.

No, I have the BOX of the curse of monkey island and on the box It writes: Monkey island 3. Even in the manual, it writes.

To escape of MI, it's not written on the box or in the manual.
  • edited June 2009
    Lechuck31 wrote: »
    No, I have the BOX of the curse of monkey island and on the box It writes: Monkey island 3. Even in the manual, it writes.

To escape of MI, it's not written on the box or in the manual.
    You must have the German version then. The English version doesn't have that bit of the logo.
  • edited June 2009
    ATMachine wrote: »
    You must have the German version then. The English version doesn't have that bit of the logo.

I have french version. It also writes in the manual and it's not a logo.
  • edited June 2009
    In the game world, however, chronologically it takes place more around a 6th game. Additionally, it's not as epic a focus as a full Monkey game would be.

If we actually want a full epic (maybe even the true MI 3) Monkey game, I'm sure LucasArts will be looking at the sales of "Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition" more than anything, so everyone should buy that in addition to "Tales".

Why do you think it's not 'epic'? Epic is the exact word used to describe the series at Adventuregamers.com:
    you may think you know what to expect from Tales of Monkey Island, but there are a few major differences that make this a very exciting project. One is that the episodes are not standalone “tales”, as the title might seem to imply, but actually “chapters” in a greater story. “Epic” was definitely the word of the day throughout our conversation. The team’s goal is to create an adventure so compelling, you won’t be able to wait until the whole thing is released before you play. Each chapter will have some sort of resolution of whatever sub-quest Guybrush is attempting to complete, but will also have a cliffhanger they’re hoping will keep fans excitedly speculating about until the next month’s release.
  • edited June 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Why do you think it's not 'epic'? Epic is the exact word used to describe the series at Adventuregamers.com:

"Epic" has lots of meanings.

I meant "Epic" primarily in terms of length and scope, (the Grossman interview where they discuss that the imaginary MI 5 would have to be a blockbuster, epic, 40 hour experience).

I wasn't referring to "Epic", in terms of grand or heroic, which I would certainly call TMI.

It's like Lord of the Rings, each book is certainly epic but not the same sort of epic as all three books as a whole.
  • edited June 2009
    "Epic" has lots of meanings.

I meant "Epic" primarily in terms of length and scope, (the Grossman interview where they discuss that the imaginary MI 5 would have to be a blockbuster, epic, 40 hour experience).

I wasn't referring to "Epic", in terms of grand or heroic, which I would certainly call TMI.

It's like Lord of the Rings, each book is certainly epic but not the same sort of epic as all three books as a whole.

I'm imagining the season, with its 5 chapters/episodes will join together to make a complete season equally as 'epic' as any individual Monkey Island game. That's also how I read the Adventure Gamers quote. I'm also using 'epic' in terms of length and scope.

I just don't see why you think the season's length of TMI won't be comparable to the, err, epicness of the previous MI games, just because there's a wait of a month between the chapters being released.
  • edited June 2009
    You are Rubber! I am Glue!:)

ohhh someone should start an insult thread!
  • edited June 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I'm imagining the season, with its 5 chapters/episodes will join together to make a complete season equally as 'epic' as any individual Monkey Island game. That's also how I read the Adventure Gamers quote. I'm also using 'epic' in terms of length and scope.

I just don't see why you think the season's length of TMI won't be comparable to the, err, epicness of the previous MI games, just because there's a wait of a month between the chapters being released.

I guess it's past experience. I played Sam and Max Hit the Road, and both seasons of Sam and Max on Telltale. All the seasons were great, but none of them were as long or epic as Sam and Max Hit the Road. That and the Grossman interview where they go out of their way to say Tales is not as blockbuster or epic as the imaginary MI 5.
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale probably does not want to consider this game as the fifth title for alot of reasons. The Fifth Monkey Island is considered to be the final title,where as there is an in joke of the characters sayin that they are contracted to only make 5 monkey island games. I think TT wants to make more MI titles and instead of makin the last title, they opted to make a sidestory.

Another possible theory is that LA is testing the waters to determine if the fifth monkey island game is worth making. With both the remake and tales versions being released at the same month, I would imagine that if they are both sucessful, LA would eventually let the true secret out. Probably part 5 is being develoepd as we speak and that the two others we are gettin in july is to revive fan support for the franchise.

I also think that even though the Tales of team are mostly made up of people who worked on the previous Mi titles, a lot of consumers may know and therefore,wouldbe disappointed that a different company is handling the biggest MI title. l also think it would quite a feat for TT to handle it with the budget they have.

Believe it or not, some gamers do not know that most games out there are licensed to other companies.
  • edited June 2009
    It's more like a Spin off than a direct sequel!But it is better than nothing so people should be happy.Support this game and they will probably release a real MI5 but it is a new story so in a way you can think of it as MI5!
  • edited June 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Its like a "LSL 4: The Missing Floppies" kind of situation, for those old enough to understand what im saying.

I am old enough not to have played them... LOL. I love the LSL games too not as much as MI though.
  • edited June 2009
    Where ever it falls into the time line really doesn't matter as long as they do not mess it up... Its hard enough to get these games to come out... what the series doesn't need is a flop. LOL no pressure Telltale.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.