The new Monkey Island logo is green, slightly different font. pls fix

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Did you actually try playing Simon 4?

It was utterly awful, you could tell that the new developers had completely no understanding of the characters, and no idea about why the original games were so good.

It would be as if someone who had never heard of Monty Python was given a couple of pictures from the show, and then asked to write a new series.

At least Simon 4 was better than Simon 3d. Now that was a game where they should have just sticked with 2D. When making 3D they should still just stick with point and click, since it really makes it annoying to have to actually walk around like its some arcade game.

Also they have mixed in feary tales in Simon 4 and have its funny moments. I havent completed it yet, but sure am planning to.

I kind of hope that the controls in Monkey 5ish will have the push, talk, pull, use etc. controls, but will probably be their usuall mouth, eyes, use controls again. They are okay I guess.

They character design in the remake seems a mix of Monkey 3 and Monkey 2. Seems okay, In monkey 3 he also had a large forehead.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, since we can switch back and forth in the special edition, I will be switching back to the original for close up scenes. I like seeing Elaine and Guybrush as dashing, not goofy.
  • edited June 2009
    kblood wrote: »
    In monkey 3 he also had a large forehead.

You know, in the box art for both the Secret of Monkey Island and Lechuck's Revenge, he also had a large forehead, this is also true for the in game stills in the original Secret of Monkey Island. However, in the Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island, Guybrush didn't have a big forehead but he did have very big hair.

Secret of Monkey Island box art.
    Lechuck's Revenge box art.
    Secret of Monkey Island in-game still.
    Curse of Monkey Island in-game shot.
    Escape from Monkey Island in-game shot.

So as you can see, to give Guybrush a large forehead is true to MI 1 and MI 2, but not so much to CMI or EMI. So this is something that both Telltale and even the Secret of Monkey Island remake got right, but Telltale fortunately disposed with the huge hair and gave him a hairstyle similar to the MI 2 box art, but the SoMI remake had the large forehead and the huge hair, which looks a little weird.
  • edited June 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    Redesign of the logo is cool
    Redesign of Guybrush is not so cool
    I blame expirimental drugs
    +1.

Some of the other character designs look fine to me, but not sure of what they were thinking with Guybrush. The MI3 version may have looked silly, but this one looks creepy, which is definitely not suitable for Guybrush.

(Note that we're referring to the SoMI Special Edition Guybrush, not the 3D Telltale version).
  • edited June 2009
    You know, in the box art for both the Secret of Monkey Island and Lechuck's Revenge, he also had a large forehead, this is also true for the in game stills in the original Secret of Monkey Island. However, in the Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island, Guybrush didn't have a big forehead but he did have very big hair.

Secret of Monkey Island box art.
    Lechuck's Revenge box art.
    Secret of Monkey Island in-game still.
    Curse of Monkey Island in-game shot.
    Escape from Monkey Island in-game shot.

So as you can see, to give Guybrush a large forehead is true to MI 1 and MI 2, but not so much to CMI or EMI. So this is something that both Telltale and even the Secret of Monkey Island remake got right, but Telltale fortunately disposed with the huge hair and gave him a hairstyle similar to the MI 2 box art, but the SoMI remake had the large forehead and the huge hair, which looks a little weird.

Oh yeah, I just remembered his head as being slim but high. It does make him look a bit wierd with both high hair and high forehead in the remake.

First thing I will try out in the remake is drowning him :D
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, I think I might like to have the original character graphics and closeups, while keeping the updated backgrounds.

Yeah, it would look very strange and out of place, but I might actually like that better.

Anyway... it will be awesome to try it out, and I'm very (!) happy there are new Monkey Island games coming out! Just thought I'd say that since I've been doing a fair bit of complaining (I think they're legitimate complaints but still.. they could leave the wrong impression... I'm only complaining since I'm so excited about these games and I'd like them to be as close to perfect as possible).
  • edited June 2009
    With the SE remake of 1...am I the only one who get's a slight "Fantastic Planet" vibe from Guybrush?

Still excited about the remake though.
  • edited June 2009
    I see where you are getting the Fantastic Planet vibe... its the stiff flash animation style movements...

In the MI SE Guybrush looks really emaciated.. I know he is really thin in Curse but in the SE he looks sick.... Maybe they are trying to get all historically accurate and gave him Scurvy... someone better tell him to start eating those citrus fruits

BTW I think the font looks fine..
  • edited June 2009
    With the SE remake of 1...am I the only one who get's a slight "Fantastic Planet" vibe from Guybrush?

I get a "Saved by the Bell" vibe from SE Guybrush

<
  • edited June 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Did you actually try playing Simon 4?

It was utterly awful, you could tell that the new developers had completely no understanding of the characters, and no idea about why the original games were so good.

It would be as if someone who had never heard of Monty Python was given a couple of pictures from the show, and then asked to write a new series.

Yes I did, and it felt really flat. The English dubbing didn't really help too much.

There was a lot of humour missing in that game, and from what I heard, Simon 5 is along those lines.

And I miss Sordid. ;)
    At least Simon 4 was better than Simon 3d. Now that was a game where they should have just sticked with 2D. When making 3D they should still just stick with point and click, since it really makes it annoying to have to actually walk around like its some arcade game.

I will have to disagree with 4 being better than 3D. Yes, the controls are horrible, and the game doesn't look nice, and you end up hitting half the background when running, but plot and joke wise it is miles above Simon 4.
  • edited June 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    You really think Guybrush is looking better, though?

504x_Guybrush_and_Elaine_Never_pay__20-Fireworks-_classsic.JPG 504x_Guybrush_and_Elaine_Fireworks_SE.JPG

Why do Elaine have Guybrush haircut?
  • edited June 2009
    This new style has going for it, at least in my book, the fact that it has a more overt style to it. Not knocking the original artwork. But it was going for more of a realistic style. This, on the other hand, is going for a more stylized look.
  • edited June 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Actually, I think I might like to have the original character graphics and closeups, while keeping the updated backgrounds.

Yeah, it would look very strange and out of place, but I might actually like that better.

The VGA close-ups looked out of place in the original game too - despite being gorgeous, their realism didn't mesh with the rest of the art, which was more stylized. Ron Gilbert made this observation in a recent blog post. (In the original EGA versions the close-ups looked nothing like that.) The truth is the MI games were never supposed to look "realistic," and at least in the updated version the style is consistent between the close-ups and the rest of the game.

Obviously, as a nostalgic die-hard I greatly prefer the old version, but I think LEC did a decent job overall on the update.
  • edited June 2009

I would expect better...
  • edited June 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »
    Yes I did, and it felt really flat. The English dubbing didn't really help too much.

There was a lot of humour missing in that game, and from what I heard, Simon 5 is along those lines.

And I miss Sordid. ;)

I will have to disagree with 4 being better than 3D. Yes, the controls are horrible, and the game doesn't look nice, and you end up hitting half the background when running, but plot and joke wise it is miles above Simon 4.

I miss Sordid as well. I guess he was in the 3D. The controls just ticked me off completely. I remember running around in some fields with scarecrows and stuff. I guess I had just gotten out of the first two places or something.

I liked Simon 1 and 2. Supreme graphics, and nice controls. Simon 3D really ruined that so it ticked me off to much to go through the game. I admit the 4th game could be better, but at least I find it playable. Also the kinds of controls in Simon 3D is also the reason I only did Monkey 4 once.
  • edited June 2009
    I always admire the way that forum members can be relied upon to become fixated on insignificant details. The internet: digital melodrama.
  • TimTim
    edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    I always admire the way that forum members can be relied upon to become fixated on insignificant details. The internet: digital melodrama.

Hop on the bandwagon Luke!

Personally I do not really dig Guybrush's hair, although I am perfectly fine with the way LEC managed to update the game art-wise.

I am completely happy with the new ToMI style. Having looked at the gameplay movie & a few stills, I do hope the environments will not feel a bit too empty. What I specifically liked in MI2 & CoMI, were the detail-filled environments. In this particular aspect ToMI still feels a bit 'empty' & sterile. Hope I am mistaken and the vibe will be perfectly existing in the final build though. The logo.. geez. It's green. It's Monkey Island style. It has a nice paperistic banner with a pre-title on it. Looks grand, don't touch it.

Everyone buying both versions might just ensure us a bunch-load of more adventure games from one or both of the companies. I can't wait ^.^
  • edited June 2009
    Getting back to the original topic, as I said before, the captain guy in Tales of Monkey Island sounds a bit like Bosco from Sam & max when he's pretending to be British. That means that he is Bosco. That means that Sam & Max are real in the universe of Monkey Island. However, in Monkey Island 2, there is a costume shop with Sam & Max costume, and Guybrush says something about wanting to buy a comic by Steve Purcell. This means that Sam & Max are fictional in the universe of Monkey Island.

Please resolve this issue before both universes collapse under the paradox, or I will pirate the game, even though I hate torrents, can easily afford the game, and have already paid for it. I'm just that disappointed.
  • edited June 2009
    Sheepbrush wrote: »
    Why do Elaine have Guybrush haircut?

Err... they went to the same barber?
  • edited June 2009
    smashing wrote: »
    Err... they went to the same barber?

Touché. :p
  • edited June 2009
    backslash wrote: »
    It looks like Guybrush has a crudely drawn blonde seagull on top of his head, its very distracting :(

If anyone would wear a crudely drawn blond seagull on top of his head, it would be Guybrush.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.