Favourite Monkey Island Theme

Comments

• edited June 2009
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    I really liked the Barbershop and the Puerto Pollo themes from MI3.

In fact I liked all the music from MI3, I think it had the best music in the whole series.
    They´re good. But I think MI 2 has the best music.

Well Lechuck theme (MI 1), the whole woodtick in MI 2, Stan (MI 1), Puerto Pollo, Rum Rogers house and the ship on the second chapter in MI 1. I think that´s all. :D
  • edited June 2009
    MI2's soundtrack is good, but there are some themes in SOMI that MI2 just can't match. Like the Melee Woods/Following the Shopkeeper. I personally think Michael Land is a better composer than Clint Bajakien, even though Clint's soundtracks are much more atmospheric, ambient, and help to fill in a lot of empty spaces in the game with something nice to listen to. The term "puzzle music" comes to mind. Michael Land is better at actual themes that you can hum or whistle, though.
  • edited June 2009
    i wouldn use term better, as they are both great of course. music in games generally speaking was better. perfect example is outlaws music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFWOl9XoxC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX9GLacmUU&feature=related

and all others
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I actually hate the music in Outlaws lol. As well as what I've heard of Grim Fandango's soundtrack.
  • edited June 2009
    I've had the Monkey Island 2 theme from when Guybrush is at the campfire with the other pirates stuck in my head for ages, and thinking about it, it has to be my favourite theme bar the opening from curse.
    About 2:40 in
  • edited June 2009
    well favorite part is MI2 if it's about the music all in all. Largo's Theme, Dread's Theme and also Governor Phatt's theme, the Bloody Lip and Mad Marty's / 3 Pirates - Theme. There're lots of jazzy themes in CMI, which are also very nice. In EMI I love the Prothesis-Shop, the Lawyers, the Scummbar and Diving Competition theme (MARCO... POOOOLOOOOO).
  • edited June 2009
    There's just something about the Secret of Monkey Island main theme that seems like a slight cut above the rest in a soundtrack filled with what is some of the best game music ever created.
  • edited June 2009
    The MI2 music is incredible! I'm playing it now and really I only remembered the PC speaker version I used to play... so far I have been loving:

* The voodoo swamp theme on Scabb, moody!
    * The theme from the shop on Booty - rock'n'roll in parts, carnival in others

The swamp theme is almost choral, I'd love to see them run with that in the event of a second special edition - great music.

I'm ignoring the obvious, of course: Lechuck's theme is iconic, and Largo's is wonderfully comic/mischievous.

For me, the end of MI2 will never have the effect it had when that theme jumped out at you in the middle of the night from a PC speaker that couldn't be turned down.
  • edited June 2009
    Blondebeards Chicken Shop.

Then Stan's Theme.
  • edited June 2009
    i love all the music from monkey island, but monkey island 2 was my favourite out of the series, and theres a few i songs i loved from the game - top 3 in no particular order excluding the main theme ( i actually had that as my ringtone on my mobile when i was younger lol) Jojo the monkey on the piano (i used to know how to play that on the keyboard) - the theme when guybrush jumps in the water to search for the sunken monkey head and the soppy as it sounds i like the lovers theme between guybrush and elaine

i also liked the monkey island version of - the leg bones connected the hip bones...etc lol, it was very catchy lol
  • edited June 2009
    i tried to play monkey on piano theme on guitar ;], just a short cover, sorry i didn't practice that much... here it is

http://www.roomp3.com/mp3-5121-Guitar-Monkey_2.html
  • edited June 2009
    That's not half bad :).
  • edited June 2009
    Most of my favourites are from Monkey Island 2... the swamp theme, Largo's Theme, the tune that plays when you get arrested on Phatt Island, the Kate Capsize/Diving for treasure theme. SO much good stuff.

I remember when I first played Monkey Island I was always fond of that little piece of music that plays when you are talking to the lookout right at the start.
  • edited June 2009
    The swamp theme from MI2 is good, but I prefer the original rendition from SOMI. The swamp theme is nice and spooky, but the theme from SOMI is nice and in-your-face whimsically horrific (for lack of a better word).
  • edited June 2009
    I love the main theme of the game, and LeChuck's theme is very good either.
    I like Dread's theme, Largo's theme, and a lot more!
  • edited June 2009
    There's just so much to choose from and so many that have already been mentioned...

I'd say off the top of my head right now my favorites would be the diving for treasure theme from MI2, and the ghost pirate jig from SMI.
  • edited June 2009
    Lechucks theme!
    I always find myself humming it, perhaps because for a while it was my mother's custom ringtone on my phone hahahaha.
  • edited June 2009
    Yup, this sounds about right.

Secret of Monkey Island
    Guybrush and Elaine
    Lechuck's Revenge
    Captain Dread
    Phatt Island
    Bone Song
    LeChuck's Lament
    Curse of Monkey Island
    Jazzy Voodoo in the Swamp
    Monkeys of the Sea Cucumber
    Escape from Monkey Island
    House of Sticks
  • edited June 2009
    There really isnt any song in this game that compares to this. Head and shoulders above the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1F5Cfy6uQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZzPZA8VFas
  • edited June 2009
    perfect example is outlaws music

Outlaws music wins. Infact, the whole game does. Remember those days, Lucasarts?

my tops themes:

MI2 theme
    Woodtick
    Largo
    captain Kate's Boat (also falling theme from CMI)
    The Bone song/dream
    Swamp/Voodoo Lady (I love how it progresses once you get further)
    Rum Rogers Exteriors
    the Underground Tunnels
    Puerto Pollo (probably the most favourite)
    Blood Island Map
    The Clearing (where Elaine's statue stands)
    A Pirate I was meant to be
    Goodsoup Hotel Exteriors
    Protheses Shop
    Lucre Town
    The Lawyers
    The Transmogrification School for Pirates

honestly, I cant remember much from the first MI :confused:
  • edited June 2009
    XuGator wrote: »
    There really isnt any song in this game that compares to this. Head and shoulders above the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1F5Cfy6uQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZzPZA8VFas

that's brilliant :D
  • edited June 2009
    Right now I'm replaying Escape from Monkey Island and just paying attention to the music, it seems lazy in some areas whilst pretty good in others. Themes like Melee Town, Melee Docks, Talking with Carla and Otis and even The Scumm Bar were the stand out tracks for Melee Island. Lucre Island has some Lazy Themes, such as The Lawyers and Dave's House of Prostetics using the same chords I guess but something about Lucre Town and Lucre Island Map that's just catchy and new feeling compared to the usual.
  • edited June 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Right now I'm replaying Escape from Monkey Island and just paying attention to the music, it seems lazy in some areas whilst pretty good in others. Themes like Melee Town, Melee Docks, Talking with Carla and Otis and even The Scumm Bar were the stand out tracks for Melee Island. Lucre Island has some Lazy Themes, such as The Lawyers and Dave's House of Prostetics using the same chords I guess but something about Lucre Town and Lucre Island Map that's just catchy and new feeling compared to the usual.

makes sense, since EMI had 4 different composers, and if i'm not mistaken, Micheal Land Left LucasArts while the game was in mid-production.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd actually be intersted in finding out who composed what in Escape because right now I'm just guessing at what Land done, would like to see if I'm anywhere near the truth!
  • the music on the cannon ball beach from EMI was cool. love stan's theme and booty island theme.

i don't like how they've just recycled the main theme though since MI3. ARGH! even including the "flame sound" when the "monkey island" logo burns in at the beginning of CMI. needs to be re-performed or remixed rather than ripped off....
  • edited June 2009
    i don't like how they've just recycled the main theme though since MI3. ARGH! even including the "flame sound" when the "monkey island" logo burns in at the beginning of CMI. needs to be re-performed or remixed rather than ripped off....

QFT
    That was the first of many things that annoyed me about it. Cutting corners in such an obvious way to save money makes me lose respect for a game.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah. This felt like the most corner-cut part of EMI. As I had associated the disctinctive graphic style of CMI with its theme, when it was reused it didn't seem to fit well with the new pristinely smooth 3D graphics of EMI.

The CMI and EMI theme is two minutes long. I hope Telltale will continue to adopt the excellent presentation of short title sequences with a playable pre-title sequence like they did with S&M season two. That way they'd be more likely to score a brand new shorter theme. Even better would be if Michael Land composed slightly different versions of the theme for each episode, but if it's done well the first time I wouldn't mind the theme being consistent.
  • it's recycled again in teh TMI trailer... just hope it doesn't stay this way...
  • edited June 2009
    They've said it wouldn't, IIRC. They just used it for the trailer.
  • edited June 2009
    Themes like Melee Town, Melee Docks, Talking with Carla and Otis and even The Scumm Bar were the stand out tracks for Melee Island.

I'll add Meathook's calming theme to this list too, and now I'm on Jambalaya Island, boy how things went downhill fast.
  • edited June 2009
    Definitely the banjo part at CMI, with the duelling banjo's or just the main theme.
    Just like this guy is playing it on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdR-8Ujh-CY&
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I get the feeling none of the music had been recorded at all before e3 because nobody was able to say anything about it at all. I imagine by now it's either done or getting there. I can't wait to hear it.

I don't think they'll make a brand new theme, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used a condensed version. The thought of hearing Michael Land's latest interpretation of it makes me go all wibbly with anticipation.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm surprised nobody picked:
    "A pirate I was meant to be" but I will.
    After that comes "Captain Rottingham theme" maybe it's french solidarity, I don't know.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd definitely pick "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be" but that's a song not a theme. So for me it's Largo's Theme.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd actually be intersted in finding out who composed what in Escape because right now I'm just guessing at what Land done, would like to see if I'm anywhere near the truth!

A few weeks ago I read this interview with Clint Bajakian, who was the lead composer of EMI.
    He said that he worked with four other composers and that every composer had his own island. (as there are four different islands in EMI)
    - Michael Land - music for Melee Island
    - Peter McConnell - music for "backside" Lucre Island (and Stan's theme)
    - Michael Lande - music for Jambalaya Island
    - Anna Karney - music for Monkey Island
    Only Clint Bajakian composed for all islands and mostly for Lucre Town. He also made the music for the cutscenes.
    http://imuse.mixnmojo.com/clinterview.shtml
  • edited June 2009
    Hamkaas wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I read this interview with Clint Bajakian, who was the lead composer of EMI.
    He said that he worked with four other composers and that every composer had his own island. (as there are four different islands in EMI)
    - Michael Land - music for Melee Island
    - Peter McConnell - music for "backside" Lucre Island (and Stan's theme)
    - Michael Lande - music for Jambalaya Island
    - Anna Karney - music for Monkey Island
    Only Clint Bajakian composed for all islands and mostly for Lucre Town. He also made the music for the cutscenes.
    http://imuse.mixnmojo.com/clinterview.shtml

THANK YOU!! That's good for me then, I mostly liked the feeling of Melee Island (Add Outside The Govenors Mansion to that list too, it grew on me again) so I'm looking forward to hearing what he'll come up with for TOMI. Peter and Clint did very good jobs too as Lucre Island had some awesome music and yet some Lazy music in Lucre Town (nearly put Lazytown there). As for Jambalaya Island, it was mostly due to the "theme2 of the Island I didn't like, so not going to pass harsh judgement on that, I did like the Beach theme for Knuttin Atoll, but of course that was one of Lands too as it was just a remaster of a track he done for COMI.
  • edited June 2009
    THANK YOU!! That's good for me then, I mostly liked the feeling of Melee Island (Add Outside The Govenors Mansion to that list too, it grew on me again) so I'm looking forward to hearing what he'll come up with for TOMI. Peter and Clint did very good jobs too as Lucre Island had some awesome music and yet some Lazy music in Lucre Town (nearly put Lazytown there). As for Jambalaya Island, it was mostly due to the "theme2 of the Island I didn't like, so not going to pass harsh judgement on that, I did like the Beach theme for Knuttin Atoll, but of course that was one of Lands too as it was just a remaster of a track he done for COMI.

No thanks :)
    Somehow I really like the music of Knuttin Atoll (the island), because its using the main theme of lucretown on a whole different (and beautiful) way.
    And I also like the theme of Herman Toothrot. It just totally fits with his personality and his crazy story about his past. I guess Anna Karney is responsible for that one.
  • edited June 2009
    Every time i think of Monkey Island i automatically think of The Scumm Bar music. It's very piratey and up beat.
  • edited July 2009
    MI2 Intro, Woodtick, The Graveyard, Rapp Scallion, The Scumm Bar, Scabb Island Beach, the prison and the tune played when Guybrush is sailing with Kate.
  • edited July 2009
    Largo's theme is one of my favourites in the entire series. LeChuck's theme is great too.

The Barbary Coast theme from CMI is pretty good.

And who can forget the very fun "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be"? :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.