Which Guybrush is your Guybrush?

I thought I'd add to the poll-pile...

This is about the character rather than the game, and the question is this; when you think of Guybrush, in style of art, the portrayal of his character, and the jokes that he makes, which one comes to mind first, which sticks in your head as the definitive version of the Guybrush character?

Don't just vote for your favourite game, as that's not what this is about, what this is to determine is which of the versions of Guybrush people generally remember as being the most iconic.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    It used to be MI2 Guybrush but after the break in period COMI Guybrush won me over.
  • edited June 2009
    Whenever someone mentions Guybrush I picture the MI2 rendition because that's the one I see around the internet the most in people's avatars, signatures, profile pictures, etc. The MI1 Guybrush isn't far behind, though.
  • edited June 2009
    Honestly, when somebody mentions Guybrush I don't see him in my head. There's no one image of the character that sticks with me as definitive. I do instantly hear Dominic Armato's voice, though, and Curse probably wins me over for personality.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I would say, the Guybrush from "LeChuck's Revenge".

I mean, his attitude of boring people to death with his "Told ya already how I defeated the ghost pirate LeChuck?" in combination with his naivety...

I mean, being robbed by Largo LaGrande after the first seconds of controlling a Guybrush in his fine clothes just did it for me.

"I definitely should have thought about travellers cheques".

Epic.

Edit: I see i misunderstood the original question... well: art-wise, the Guybrush from Curse is my favourite.
  • edited June 2009
    I picture the one from Steve Purcell's original cover for The Secret of Monkey Island. I absolutely love his original hairstyle there. He looks like the guy who does the Free Credit Report.com commercials. Oh, and that guy's voice sounds like Dominic Armato's.

creditreport-guitar-dude.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    while I am certainly content with the Guybrush we're introduced to in SoMI, I feel that the character has grown into what is - at least to me - the ultimate wannabe pirate on LR. I didn't feel like he'd grown as much from LR to CoMI.

second place is split between SoMI and EfMI.
  • edited June 2009
    This has actually been quite interesting to follow! Thanks to everyone who's posted/voted thus far.

Also: Pole-pile. /picard Gosh that's a silly typo, fixed that now.
  • edited June 2009
    Secret's Guybrush for me. He looked like a complete amateur.
  • edited June 2009
    MI 2

In MI 2, Guybrush was kinda a jerk and trying to impress everyone with his "beard". Classic. I love how ToMI's design brings back the beard and jacket from MI 2.
  • edited June 2009
    Although I love the Guybrush from MI2, when I think of Guybrush I still picture him as the Guybrush in SMI. But more toward the end of the game, when he had evolved slightly as a character.
  • edited June 2009
    Peter Daviso---wait, sorry became David Tennant for a second there. My Guybrush is probably the CMI version. Mostly because I loved the voice characterization. The MI2 version is a close second. If they do a MI2: Special Edition with Dominic doing the voices, he may overtake the CMI one.
  • edited June 2009
    Hmm, I bet David Tennant could play a semi-decent Guybrush. They would have to give him a beard and dye his hair blonde though......eugh, nevermind.
  • edited June 2009
    Sopos wrote: »
    Well, I would say, the Guybrush from "LeChuck's Revenge".

I mean, his attitude of boring people to death with his "Told ya already how I defeated the ghost pirate LeChuck?" in combination with his naivety...

I mean, being robbed by Largo LaGrande after the first seconds of controlling a Guybrush in his fine clothes just did it for me.

"I definitely should have thought about travellers cheques".

Epic.

Edit: I see i misunderstood the original question... well: art-wise, the Guybrush from Curse is my favourite.

Agreed, except also artwise I like the him best in Monkey 2 as well. Long piratey coat and beard, although the beard isnt important. I guess I liked him in Monkey 4 as well, but that red coat just was a bit too red. At least it wasnt pink. I might actually like the newest Guybrush even better for these reasons.
  • edited June 2009
    Le Chucks Revenge Guybrush. And I really think the ToMI Guybrush gets close to it.
  • edited June 2009
    WDeranged wrote: »
    It used to be MI2 Guybrush but after the break in period COMI Guybrush won me over.

+2!!
  • edited June 2009
    First MI i played was CMI
    I fell in love with that Guybrush
  • edited June 2009
    MI 2 Guybrush ftw, I'm happy there using that same model for TOMI with blue jacket, brown boots and little beard. I find that to be an iconic and mature side of Guybrush (if you could call that mature lol).
  • edited June 2009
    Big Toss up between 2 and 3. I love Guyrbush in Curse, but in LeChucks revenge, he is just perfect, really, and so I had to vote for him.
  • edited June 2009
    I always picture the COMI guybrush with a blue coat and beard as the ideal guybrush, so somewhere between COMI and MI2 artistically - I think the TOMI one does a good job of blending that. Otherwise, more in the COMI camp, the voice characterisation, cheery personality, perfectly timed sarcasm, inept bravery, occasional goofyness and irregular moments of complete cowardice ("Is this going to be scary? Because I warn you I'm easily startled and will leap into the arms of complete strangers.") all mount up the perfect wannabe mighty pirate.
  • edited June 2009
    MI2's Guybrush for me. He feels like the most mature Guybrush and you can tell he's developed as a character since SoMI. In the other two games they just seem to go back to the naive wannabe pirate from SoMI.
  • edited June 2009
    @Joe Newberry

Being a British bloke myself, I was wondering if anyone else would notice the correlation between this and the question of one's favourite Doctor.

Because Guybrush does seem to evolve in the same way that the Doctor does. Each version of him seems as though he's regenerated just for that game.
  • edited June 2009
    What Doctor?
  • edited June 2009
    The Doctor.

Pertwee for me.
  • edited June 2009
    I voted for LeChucks Revenge Guybrush. It was my first Monkey Island game, and I really liked how he had that "pirate captain" look going on there with the blue coat and the stylish beard. A close second would be SMI Guybrush, aka "Fancy Pants".
  • edited June 2009
    CMI Guybrush, because that was the first version I encountered. Though I really like the look of TMI Guybrush, and that older version in the blue coat where he's lean and the beard is a bit heavier... that's kind of neat.
  • edited June 2009
    The MI2 Guybrush is so perfect with the beard and the nice blue coat. CMI Guybrush is good, but his clothes and the babyface is to much SMI.
  • edited June 2009

Being a British bloke myself, I was wondering if anyone else would notice the correlation between this and the question of one's favourite Doctor.

Because Guybrush does seem to evolve in the same way that the Doctor does. Each version of him seems as though he's regenerated just for that game.

I can definitely see the comparison. Although the Guybrush from LR is very much the evolved SMI Guybrush, but each subsequent reincarnation is very unique to itself.

And at least for me, my first Guybrush (like my first Doctor) is my favorite.
  • edited June 2009
    You people are doing nothing to help my "Guybrush is a secret Time Lord who lost his fob watch" crack theory...

Even though SMI was my first, nothing's affected my personal image of Guybrush like CMI has. Every image I have of him in my head is that tall, lanky, large-nosed cartoon figure I stared at for countless hours when my imaginative world was starting to form its permanent shape.

Plus, pixels don't stick in my head well, and EMI made him look like he was fourteen.
  • edited June 2009
    Basically what S@bre said.

I would love to see Guybrush's outfit changed a little, but I thought they had it perfect with the inventory aspect. No matter what item (or how many) you picked up, Guybrush would effortlessly fit it inside his pants and continue as though nothing had happened. There seemed to actually be a regression in that aspect for MI4 and I hope it's brought back in MI5.
  • edited June 2009
    I actually think every Guybrush brought something new to the character.

MI1's Guybrush was a naive, enthusiastic young wannabe
    MI2's Guybrush was almost grown-up enough for a beer, and had defeated the Ghost Pirate LeChuck but nobody believed him! He was more sarcastic than the original one and a little bit more world-wise.
    MI3's Guybrush is kinda hard to talk about in terms of development because the game was so different. He was lankier than the stout Guybrush of the original two. He lost the beard, but was as sarcastic as ever, and it worked well
    And then MI4's Guybrush suffered from terminal-prat syndrome with a constant grin on his face outside the cutscenes no matter what happens. But when we look at the actual character, it's very similarly written to the previous two. Sure, the game was much less dark, but I ignore that, the character is still pretty good.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd pick the CMI version.

Visually I will always have a soft spot for the MI2 version , but I really don't think it would have worked as well if Dominic was voicing it (I could be wrong though). The sharper, more comic style of Guybrush 3 matches the voicework perfectly, and to be honest I think the vocal work is what sticks in my head more now.

I have to be honest in that I'm not quite loving the style of Guybrush in "Tales" - but I hated and then grew to love him in CMI, so that can change. Just glad to be able to play them again.

I actually picked up a 2nd hand PS2 recently and a copy of Escape - enjoying it a lot more this time round, although the controls still stink. It strikes me that there are many, many, many big-budget movies that don't have dialog that comes close to lacing the shoes of that in this game series. It genuinely is of a stellar quality, and is genuinely funny. There are so many games labelled as very funny where frankly it's all a bit crappy and cringe-worthy - not the case here though.
  • edited June 2009
    I choose....."Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" Guybrush. :P

Honestly though, my favorite has got to be CoMI Guybrush, mostly because he was my first Guybrush, and therefore the one that made the most impression on me.

Oh, and Patrick Troughton = best Doctor
  • edited June 2009
    Mine will probably be the Special Edition Guybrush. I loved the SMI Guybrush but I have also fallen in love with Dominic Armato's voice and it honestly seems weird playing the first two games and not hearing it. Therefore, I expect the Special Edition Guybrush to be my favorite, after all, he does need the Guide to Style...man that guy loves stylish confetti.
  • edited June 2009
    All of them, and none of them .
  • edited June 2009
    MI 2

There's a balance between the seriousness and comedy in MI games. CoMI completely broke that balance in character design and made Guybrush too lanky and dorky looking - which he really isn't supposed to be. They did the same with LeChuck making him a bumbling idiot in later games as opposed to his more menacing earlier self.

MI 2 Guybrush still has the naivety of SoMI but he's so desperately trying to act all bad-ass and failing that it completely works.
  • edited June 2009
    ^ I agree with that.
  • edited June 2009
    When i think of MI i always think of the CMI Guybrush so thats wins it for me
  • edited June 2009
    My Guybrush Threepwood would have to be from Monkey Island 2:Lechucks revenge, maybe because Monkey Island 2 was the first Monkey Island game i played, but i think Guybrush looks really cool, as rough bearded guy with a big blue coat, he was really hilarious, with his actions and expressions in that game
  • edited June 2009
    Seems I voted for for Escape Guybrush by accident... 2 (in game) and3 for me, love them both.

So in therory... as TTG are going for a kind of combo between those two.... Tales' Guybrush should be perfect!

Maybe.
  • edited June 2009
    Art style wise, i'd go with curse, because I LOVE the art direction of that game and Guybrush is sort of adorably gawky lol.

But i'll always love MI2's guybrush... the scraggly beard, the costume. Him in a pink dress...

I can't pick just the one!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.