Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• Man, I'm having serious issues with the forums lately, and even missed votings on FoT and NW because of it. The situation is so bad that I've sent you a PM the other day but I have no way of knowing if the damn thing was actually sent or not, because even when I use the direct link to our pm discussion, I simply get redirected to my feed now (which doesn't even load, btw). I just hope this comment gets posted, it would be a real shame to miss two votings in a row. I'll try to re-install firefox and see what happens, maybe that will get things back to normal.

Yeah, those issues are terrible. Though I see in your newest message you got it sorted out, is that correct? Reinstalling Firefox, that is a solution I would have never thought about, but if it works for you, maybe it can be a bit of a general solution for those having issues with their browser (I remember Bounden also suffering under the dread curse of the fire fox and I haven't seen Mathea at all for a couple days now). Anyways, it is great you managed to find a way to fix these problems, though it is honestly a shame that a user had to find a workaround before Telltale did anything about the site they broke. I can also confirm, I got your previous message as well, I just had no time to answer, but I will try to do that today or maybe tomorrow at latest :)

[Accept Edward's offer] While I highly doubt she'll ever get back to the same level as she once was, the only thing she can do right now is

• edited September 2017

Yay, a double post. I remember when that was the worst problem that plagued the forums. Ah, such trivial issues. We were not prepared.

[Accept Edward's offer] While I highly doubt she'll ever get back to the same level as she once was, the only thing she can do right now is

• Sorry I'm late. These are fantastic. Beyond the now traditional praises and ego boosters I have to congratulate you on your drawing of hair in this set. I can't pinpoint what but for some reason they look incredibly detailed. Anyway, great job as always :).

Heey! Hopefully I'm early enough to post this before the next part Anyway, here is the newest set of drawings, including characters from the different courts of Westeros: Hope you like 'em!

• Hehe, I can reveal in advance, that would cause an awkward scene for sure. Edward expects her to accept, though if she refuses, Sadie will bring up some good arguments against it for sure. Though neither have I ever heard of such a choice being declined, that could lead to... interesting changes to her storyline.

DiverseGnu posted: »

[Decline Edward's offer] No particular reason for doing this, just for the sake of making things awkward. I don't think I've ever read any story where the main character declines a choice like this.

• Yup, seems like everything is back in order and hopefully this works for other people as well... but knowing Telltale its just a matter of time until something breaks yet again. And no need to rush to answer the PM or anything, I'm just glad it was sent properly really :)

Man, I'm having serious issues with the forums lately, and even missed votings on FoT and NW because of it. The situation is so bad that I'v

• [Accept Edward's offer]

Sadie “Mother?”, she asked and her voice shivered. She gasped as she looked at the corpse of her father again. Tears clouded her vision,

• [Accept Edward's offer]

Sadie “Mother?”, she asked and her voice shivered. She gasped as she looked at the corpse of her father again. Tears clouded her vision,

• [Decline Edward's offer] Liquid obviously is thinking the other choice we have to screw up Sadie's storyline as much as possible.

Stupid Lancaster scum. The Yorks are better!

Mother?”

mother!

Ah Sadie's weird flashback now an even weirder dream.

Is this 2 months later like the rest? Doesn't really seem that way, maybe it's just me.

• Leonard Constantine and Hill

I want to go on record and say that my Leonard was totally original, there have been no one named Leonard anywhere in AWIOAF canon and yet it's a medieval sounding name that is real without spelling changes. Hill and Storm are bastards who usurped my name.

There's the Jons and Johns too. Those are somewhat confusing.

Great part, but perhaps the most unintentionally confusing for me. You know, GRR Martin always gets a bad wrap for similar names that confus

• I want to go on record and say that my Leonard was totally original, there have been no one named Leonard anywhere in AWIOAF canon and yet it's a medieval sounding name that is real without spelling changes. Hill and Storm are bastards who usurped my name.

And I want to confirm this gladly, you have been the first to submit a Leonard to the story. I can also confirm, Leonard Hill and Storm are literally bastards. To keep things from becoming confusing, I went with Leo for Leonard Hill, a nickname that is unheard for the Stately. Leonard Storm meanwhile simply won't be a very important character, I hope that'll prevent any confusion that might arise from having three Leonard's at once in the story.

There's the Jons and Johns too. Those are somewhat confusing.

Ah, sure, those names that sound very similar. I forgot about them, but I agree, that might get confusing at times. It could get even worse if I receive a character with the same name (like, same first name and same bastard last name), but thankfully, that hasn't happened so far. Oh dear, I suddenly really hope it'll never happen...

Leonard Constantine and Hill I want to go on record and say that my Leonard was totally original, there have been no one named Leona

• Stupid Lancaster scum. The Yorks are better!

You know I kinda feel like George R Martin has done his best to promote that mindset in GOT. Its been a while since I've heard anyone say 'Lancaster's Rule' or the like.

[Decline Edward's offer] Liquid obviously is thinking the other choice we have to screw up Sadie's storyline as much as possible. Stupid

• Is this 2 months later like the rest? Doesn't really seem that way, maybe it's just me.

It is. Sadie spent a bit recovering in Maybros, before Leo dared to make the journey. They've been on the road for a few weeks now, moving at a snail's pace due to being a caravan mostly consisting of women and children. In the meantime, Sadie didn't really recover from her ordeal, so it might feel like she's exactly at the same point where she left off, but I can assure you, two months have passed.

[Decline Edward's offer] Liquid obviously is thinking the other choice we have to screw up Sadie's storyline as much as possible. Stupid

• [Accept Edward's offer] I believe in you Sadie! I mean obviously she'll get her arse kicked but it's a step to getting adjusted. You've got to fail a few times before you succeed. Plus she obviously doesn't want to be coddled so it's best to show it.

Fucking, Melanie's getting on my nerves. It's more Gyles that I'm mad at because of what he's reduced her to but still. I'm not sure she even understands the situation she's in. I wonder if a bit of tough love would do her any good, though that might just drive her apeshit.

• [Decline Edward's offer]

• Fucking, Melanie's getting on my nerves. It's more Gyles that I'm mad at because of what he's reduced her to but still. I'm not sure she even understands the situation she's in. I wonder if a bit of tough love would do her any good, though that might just drive her apeshit.

Trust me, she's getting on Sadie's nerves just as much, probably even more, because that is the last thing she needs right now. Believe it or not though, she actually used to be vastly different. Sadie remembers a calm, caring girl, someone whom you would have probably liked, or at least had a much better opinion on. She's just in terrible withdrawal right now and way more snappy as a result and these are still her good moments. I wouldn't blame her too much for that, she's really not thinking straight at the time. And it's unfortunately going to get worse before she has any chance of getting better.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Accept Edward's offer] I believe in you Sadie! I mean obviously she'll get her arse kicked but it's a step to getting adjusted. You've got

• I'm a big Richard III guy my dude. The white rose is better.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Stupid Lancaster scum. The Yorks are better! You know I kinda feel like George R Martin has done his best to promote that mindset in GOT. Its been a while since I've heard anyone say 'Lancaster's Rule' or the like.

• Wait...............Didn't Richard kill all his nephews to be king? Several things said about him were false but no one has ever dispute that particular fact.

I'm a big Richard III guy my dude. The white rose is better.

• [Decline Edward's offer]

• The Voting is closed!

Sadie is going to accept Edward's offer

Well, I could see this happening. Surely, declining this offer would be a missed chance, though at the same time, it would have offered an interesting alternative with some long-term changes. Now, Sadie will spend some time getting seriously beaten up. It's the same for everyone that learns how to fight and she has been through this before. Only time will tell if this will truly trigger a positive change in her, or if the additional stress and pain will cause the opposite of what you hope for. It can go both ways here and as much as this is a chance, it is also a risk, as is every change of the status quo.

The next part was originally going to be out yesterday. However, a spontaneous birthday party for a friend of mine kind of made that impossible. I'm back up though and will finish the next part today. It will be a Garthon part, the second for him in this chapter, although I might be able to sneak in a second PoV as well, which will be either Jaron or Jenna. If not, well, those are your next PoV's right there, after this part. So, last time we saw Garthon, he was travelling to Harrenhal, together with Hjalgar, Rell and Tedyn, led by Christian Thomas. However, when Rell and Tedyn left them behind, Garthon, Hjalgar and Christian chased aftter them, only to run into an ambush by Tedyn. As it turned out, the executioner had orders to kill Garthon all along. He even managed to overpower all three, coming very close to kill Garthon. In the end however, he was stopped by none other than Rell Vessels, who killed him to save Garthon's life, repaying his debt from earlier, back when Garthon decided to save him in the early stages of the raid. He then left, promising to claim that Garthon died in the fight against Tedyn, effectively allowing him to leave the court of Harren and avoid whatever punishment the king still has in store. So, after this rather positive development, Garthon decided to remain behind, to bury Tedyn Bullister, feeling that the man deserves at least this much. The next part will be set a few hours later, after they finished burying him.

• Garthon

The sun was already starting to rise as they finally had finished digging a grave for Tedyn Bullister, right at the spot where he had been killed. Breaking up the ground deep enough to prevent wild animals from digging him up again, it had been quite the task, even with three people and Garthon had never thought he'd ever do this for Tedyn Bullister.

He sighed, looking at the fresh grave. A single stone was marking it, though he doubted anyone would come to mourn. Tedyn Bullister, last of his line, a man who died alone and friendless. He had tried to kill him, yet Garthon had nothing but pity for the man.

“Rest now”, he spoke. “Be at peace” He glanced from Christian to Hjalgar. The former didn't know Tedyn all that well, the latter shared Garthon's opinion on the man, the dreaded executioner of Harrenhal. “The king is going to be pissed”, he mumbled and Garthon gave him a nod. “Think Vessels will be alright?”, he asked.

To this, Hjalgar shrugged. “Who cares?”, he replied, slight anger flaring up in his voice. “This today has been the only good thing he did in life. I still remember him from that hunt he and Harren's bastard of a firstborn dragged me to. If you would have been there, you'd hope for his death”

Silently, Garthon gave him a nod. The shock of nearly being killed by Tedyn, it still sat deeply with him. If not for Rell, he would have been dead. And if not for a small decision of mercy two months ago, Rell wouldn't have been there to repay him. How easily it could have all gone wrong, this caused him to shiver.

It was the entire atmosphere. The blood on the ground, the freshly dug grave, where they had buried Tedyn with his axe, the entire clearing, lying in the gloomy twilight of early dawn. But he was free at least. With Rell faking his death, he wouldn't have to fear the king's hunters chasing him down.

“We should get moving”, he mumbled and Christian glanced at him. “Yeah, about that”, the hunter spoke. “I was supposed to lead you to Harrenhal. That... well, kinda won't happen now, I think” Garthon gave him a nod. “If you wish to return home, I won't stop you”, he told him.

To this, Christian shook his head, quite decisively. “Nah, that won't happen all that easily”, he assured him. “Though my task was to bring you to Harrenhal, I'm ultimately fine bringing you wherever you like to be” He paused, frowning slightly. “Considering it's not too far away. Any place here in the Riverlands you would like to start your new life?”

Garthon thought about this for a moment, while he turned away from the grave. “Riverrun”, he said after a bit. “Lord Tully should be informed about my brother's death. I want to see how he reacts” He clenched his fists, while Hjalgar gave him a curious look. “Tully left you to die”, he reminded him and Garthon gave him a nod. “And I can barely blame the man”, he replied. “But that is precisely the fact. I want to look him in the eye. My brother had been fond of that man, called him good and just. I want to see how much this is worth”

“Riverrun it is then”, Christian said, his expression one of relief. “That's not too far away. To be honest, I was afraid you'd pick Seagard, or Maidenpool if you want to leave these lands, but Riverrun, I can deal with that” He smiled. “And to be honest, I'd rather deal with Tully than Hoare”

With this, they started moving. Christian walked ahead, Garthon next to him, while Hjalgar followed slightly behind. It was clear that the young Ironborn did not want to speak right now, as he looked at the ground, his fists clenched and a sullen expression on his face. Christian however was in a rare, chatty mood and Garthon decided to use this to get to know the man a bit better.

“Have you often dealt with House Hoare?”, he asked, as they stepped through the forest, trying to approach the road again. They would travel back for a bit, before taking a road north, leading them to Riverrun without bringing them dangerously close to Harrenhal.

Christian shook his head. “Not under Lord Raylan, no”, he spoke. “But I often travelled these lands, spying for the old lord. He wanted to know how the lords of the Riverlands stand to their king” He gulped. “A good lord he was, but vengeance tore him apart. He was... obsessed, you can say. I'm glad the new lord is not like him in regards to your kind”

“My kind...”, Garthon mumbled, managing a weak smile. “They would see things differently, y'know” Christian shrugged. “Might be”, he said. “But I don't believe in grudges. If we continue to slaughter each other, whom will be left in the end? We repelled your kind, now Lord Petyr wishes to make peace. Nothing bad about that”

“I'm just afraid it'll be for the wrong reasons”, Garthon spoke up. “Have you ever thought what he could offer to the king that Black Harren agrees to let you live in peace?” Christian gulped, narrowing his eyes as if the thought only now dawned him. “It certainly won't be your prisoners. He wanted me dead to begin with and I doubt he holds any fondness for Bullister or Vessels”

“You bring up something there...” Christian said, before he glanced around. By now, they had reached the road again, travelling down the street to where their camp was located. Though the sun was beginning to rise, it was still dark beneath the trees and his gaze darted from one side to the other. “But no more about this for now. Say, what will you do after Riverrun?”

Garthon's hand moved to his sword, as he was concerned by the sudden shift in Christian's. “The Iron Islands will always be my home”, he explained. “I was born and raised on Pyke. I still have friends there, people I wish to see again. Then... who knows”

“So, Riverrun, then Seagard and finally, Pyke”, Christian said, though just as he was going to say more, he cut himself off, stopping dead in his tracks and reaching for his bow. “Whomever is there, come out!”, he yelled. Instantly, he pulled an arrow from the quiver, pointing it into the underbrush beneath the trees. “Come out, or I'll shoot!”

Garthon drew his sword and only Hjalgar remained unarmed, as a man stepped from beneath the trees. In the darkness, he was nearly invisible until stepping onto the road and on his own, Garthon would have never spotted him until it would have been too late.

The man was young and handsome, even if his thin face had something weasely about it. His blonde hair was tied into a short ponytail and he was looking at them out of pale, blue eyes. There was a smile on his face and his hands were not raised, as he approached them calmly.

“Easy, friends”, he said and glared at Christian. “You know it brings great misfortune to threaten a stranger. Lower that thing, right now” Christian did not comply, as the stranger just stood there, unsettlingly calm despite being unarmed safe for a knife at his belt and outnumbered three to one. Garthon however was growing nervous and a quick glance towards Hjalgar showed him that the young man had already correctly realized what danger they were in.

“Oh no...”, he mumbled. “Oh no, this is not good” He threw a quick, fearful look at Christian. “Lower your weapon!”, he hissed. “Put it down, or we're all dead!” Christian raised an eyebrow, visibly irritated by this unexpected offer. “What is it?”, he asked. “What's happening?”

The blonde man's smile widened. “New to the Riverlands, are you?”, he spoke. “Let me show you” He let out a whistle and instantly, Garthon heard noise in the underbrush. Footsteps, now no longer bothering with remaining quiet, as men appeared on each side of the road, armed with longbows. A quick count showed that they were almost a dozen and finally, Garthon realized whom these people were. He wasn't sure if he should be more or less concerned now.

“A fucking ambush?”, Christian spat. “Sure, we just had to stumble upon bandits!” The man shook his head, while Garthon gulped. “Oh, but we are no bandits”, he replied. “If it's any consolation for you, we're not out to take your gold” He put a finger onto his head. “We are the Sons of the Trident”

And finally, the hunter realized the danger they were in. His eyes widened, as he dropped his bow. The man smirked, as he approached the three. “Clever little Ironborn”, he answered and instantly, Christian raised his hands. “Whoa, wait, wait!”, he said. “I am not Ironborn! The name's Christian, I work for Lord Vyrwel of Raylansfair”

The man raised an eyebrow at that. “Sure”, he spat. “I heard you talking just now, about home, about Pyke. We've spotted you a few days ago and guess what, I recognized the Axeman, that bastard of Bullister in your midst” He looked around. “Shame, it seems he escaped. Many here have a score to settle with the man that executed Lord Wode”

Now it was Garthon's time to speak up. “Listen, if you've heard us talking, then you know whom we are”, he said, in the attempt to defuse the situation. He frantically looked around, into stranger faces. Jon the Harper was not there, neither were Dacey or Jared. Though he had worked with the Sons of the Trident before and parted on good terms, these people were strangers and that made the situation dangerous.

He put a hand onto his chest. “My name is Garthon Breaker. You have heard of me or my brother, Torvin”, he introduced himself. “We have worked with you before. Go, ask Jon” The man narrowed his eyes. “The Harper is not here”, he growled and his smile faded. “You're speaking to the Fiddler now. Name's Deywn”

Garthon sighed. “Dewyn the Fiddler”, he said. “Alright, pleasure to meet you. It won't change a thing. I am a friend of the Sons” Deywn chuckled dryly. “Sure you are, Ironborn, sure you are”, he spoke and Garthon clenched his fists, as it slowly dawned upon him just how serious this was. “I am Garthon Breaker”, he said again. “My brother and I tried to kill the king! We're no friends of Black Harren!”

“And why should I believe you?”, Deywn asked. “Word has it, both Breaker brothers died in the Reach and yet here you are, claiming to be a dead man with nothing to back it up. Your only witness is a man that is a hundred miles to the North, so frankly, I call bullshit. And I am sick of being lied to by your kind”

“I'm not...!”, Garthon began, though Deywn cut him off. “Do you deny being Ironborn?”, he growled and Garthon could only shake his head. “I don't deny it”, he stated. “But I...” Once again, Deywn cut him off. “Yeah, sure you are. Breaker wasn't bad, for an Ironborn. The Harper vowed for him, but he was also there on that day, among the crowd as both brothers knelt to Black Harren” He narrowed his eyes. “I don't believe you are whom you claim to be. Heard you speaking 'bout Pyke, so I know you're from the islands. And if you are Garthon Breaker, then you have a lot to answer for as well”

“And what might that be?”, Garthon asked, to which Deywn sighed. “By kneeling, Breaker ended the rebellion that could have freed us all”, he explained, his voice showing anger and bitterness. “Two dozen lords were there on that day and the rest had their eyes and ears present. The entire Riverlands were holding their breath. They would have rose in rebellion, would have fought for their memory, had the brothers remained defiant”

“We had no choice!”, Garthon spoke up, but Deywn glared at him. “You truly claim to be this man, this Garthon Breaker?”, he growled. “I need proof for that. And if you bring it, then that won't make your situation any better. Ultimately, you only helped the Hoare's. Their chains of iron are stronger than ever, choking the life out of our lands” He pointed a finger at him. “Either way, you are guilty of crimes against this land and her people. Rivers decides on your fate”

“The Lord of the Marches”, Garthon gasped. Edric Rivers was known for his heart of ice, his lack of mercy towards anyone born on the Iron Islands. And if what Deywn said was true, the Sons even had a legit reason to be upset at him. Seven, all he wanted to do was to save Torvin's life. And now, his brother was dead either way and if he wouldn't play his cards carefully, he would follow.

“Aye”, Deywn said. “He doesn't like your kind too much. I'd say he hates them more than any man living” He grinned. “A fair trial, this much we owe you. But don't expect much. You'd be the first to be found innocent and frankly, I doubt it, Ironborn” He rose his hand and men stepped up. Garthon tensed up, though he did not fight back, not even as they put a sack over his head and pushed him into the forest.

In complete darkness, he was led by the Sons of the Trident, harshly, but safely. Deywn was silent, as was Garthon, who saw no reason to protest. A fair trial, this was the best he could hope for, given the circumstances. Now that the Fiddler was not going to kill him on sight, he felt confident that he'd make it out of this alive. He always had a way with words, so maybe he had a chance, given his connection with Jon the Harper. That had to be worth something, right?

That said, the brief bout of hope he felt quickly became weaker the more they walked. His lack of sleep finally kicked in after walking in silence and he lost any sense of direction. Beneath the sack, uncomfortable warmth was present. This Deywn, he wasn't what Garthon would call an unbiased judge, so who would guarantee him that Edric Rivers was any different? He had never met the man, only heard the stories they told of him. It wasn't hopeless, but he felt nervous, so very nervous.

Finally, after what felt like an hour, he heard something. The sounds of people, chatting, laughing. They were still walking over forest ground, snapping dry wood under their shoes and through the fabric of the sack they had put over his head, Garthon saw the light of torches.

“What's this about, Deywn?”, a deep voice growled, as Garthon was kicked forwards. He landed on his knees and as the sack was removed, he instantly took a deep breath, welcoming the cold air on his face. As he looked up, he laid eyes on the tallest man he had ever seen. At least a full head taller than everyone around him, he had short, black hair and deep brown eyes, the shadow of a beard present on his cheeks. He wore a leather vest, exposing his arms, remarkably light armour for hat was undoubtedly an important man. Garthon wondered, was this...

“Good morning, Gavin”, Deywn greeted him, now remarkably friendly. “We had a good hunt, that's what this is about” He looked past the man called Gavin and at the half dozen others that had gathered here. They were on a small clearing, remarkably small even for what was a camp that housed at least three dozen people. Tents and small, barely fortified houses were constructed here and it was, as a result, heavily crowded. Not only men, there was also a sizable number of women among the Sons of the Trident and Garthon spotted some that were barely either, mere children, who were nonetheless helping at camp, cooking from small pots, sharpening swords, cutting wood.

Their arrival had not gone unnoticed and several people were already looking at the Fiddler and his prisoners with curiosity, though Garthon also felt slight glares of hate as they laid eyes on him, Hjalgar and Christian. “Hobb!”, Deywn called out and a boy behind the tall man saluted. He couldn't be much older than ten, or maybe twelve, with dark hair and brown eyes. “Go and get the lord. Tell him there's Ironborn to be judged over” Quickly, the boy gave him a nod. “On it, Deywn!”, he shouted and made his way through the crowd.

By now, Christian was slowly losing his cool. “I told you I am not Ironborn!”, he barked. “They are, but me, please, I'm innocent, I was just ordered to lead them to Harrenhal!” He stopped begging as Deywn put a hand onto his shoulder. “Ordered by whom?”, he asked and Christian gulped. “Figured. Well, that's something Rivers will want to know”

He let go of Christian, instead pushing Garthon towards the crowd and towards the hulking man in their midst. “You see him?”, the Fiddler asked. “That is Gavin the Tall. If Edric considers you guilty, he'll be your executioner” To this, Gavin nodded, as he stepped aside. Following his example, the men and women formed a gap in their mid, allowing Deywn's group to push Garthon, Christian and Hjalgar through. They were booing at them now, shouting, calling them monsters, bastards, murderers... it was the Riverlands at their worst, a place that had nothing but hatred for Garthon's kind.

He saw where they were pushing them and paired with Christian's panic, he slowly felt closer to a breakdown as well. This was not good... no, seeing the tree at the other end of the and the three ropes that were brought there. They were intending to hang them... by the Drowned God, they were actually intending to hang them.

With growing uneasiness, he looked up to Gavin the Tall. “I am Garthon Breaker”, he said, sounding almost desperate. “Please, I know Jon the Harper, I worked with him. I tried to kill Harren Hoare!” To his surprise, Gavin almost seemed to believe him. “Perhaps you are”, he agreed. “If that is true, then the Harper trusted you, but you betrayed him and all of us when you knelt to the Black One”

Being pushed to the hanging tree, Garthon's heart began to beat faster. “You can't just hang us!”, he said and Deywn raised an eyebrow. “Why not?”, he asked. “No matter if you're Breaker or not, do you deny being Ironborn?” Garthon clenched his fists and shook his head. “No”, he admitted and the Fiddler narrowed his eyes. “Then you do not deny being part of those who bleed our lands, kill our men, rape our women! The scourge of the Riverlands and you so proudly admit being part of them!”

With growing anger, he glared at Gavin. “I suppose Edric won't need all three of them”, he proclaimed and looked at Hjalgar, who had been silent so far. Between Garthon's attempts to justify himself and Christian's pleas, his silence stuck out like a sore thumb. “You there!”, Deywn said. “Are you not afraid?”

Silently, Hjalgar shook his head, even though his shivering hands proved him a liar. Deywn sighed. “This one”, he said. “Gavin, hang him high. Show them what happens if they don't answer Edric's questions!” Hjalgar's eyes widened, as he threw a plea of help towards Garthon, though neither was able to move with strong men having grabbed them on each side.

“Are you sure?”, Gavin asked and Deywn nodded. “Aye, hang him!”, he said and the crowd began to chant. “Hang him!”, they yelled. “Hang him!” Quickly, Hjalgar was dragged backwards, towards the tree. “Garthon!”, he screamed, before they had put the noose around his neck. Instantly, his screams turned into a gurgling sound, as Gavin, standing behind the tree, put the rope over a thick branch and began to pull him up. Hjalgar's eyes widened, as he gasped for air, desperately clawing at the rope around his neck. His feet began to kick thin air and his gurgling resembled screams.

“Don't!”, Garthon yelled. “Don't do it!” In an instant, Deywn had jumped around. The knife from his belt was now in his hand, pressed against Garthon's throat. “One. More. Word”, the Fiddler hissed. “Look at him and be silent. This is the only fate your kind deserves, you Ironborn monster!”

His eyes darting around, Garthon finally spotted someone familiar. She was tall for a woman, slim, with blonde hair and green eyes. The longbow that gave her her name was in her hands and though she was looking at him, there was no sign of recognition. And yet, he remembered Dacey Longbow, who had been with the Harper a few months ago. She knew him, she could help... if she wasn't recognizing him already, staying silent on purpose. With the weight of the knife on his throat and Hjalgar slowly being choked to death, he knew he had to make a decision.

[Call out for Dacey] [Stay silent]

• edited September 2017

This is bad, either Garthon speaks and risks getting both of them killed, or lets Hjalgar die and then tries to negotiate.
    [Call out for Dacey] Is a big risk, but better than letting him die just like that.

While pretty ruthless, is not as if the Riverlanders don't have reasons to hate Ironborn.

Oh, the cruel irony, very soon the Riverlords will have a very good reason to rise in arms, and will bring lots of firepower with him.

Garthon The sun was already starting to rise as they finally had finished digging a grave for Tedyn Bullister, right at the spot where he

• [Call out for Dacey]

Silence is NOT a valid option

Garthon The sun was already starting to rise as they finally had finished digging a grave for Tedyn Bullister, right at the spot where he

• [Stay silent] Eh, RIP Hjalgar. Well, for some reason I don't think he'll die, so what the heck?

Bunch of terrorists opposing the legitimate ruler

Bah Dewyn the Fiddler.

Poor Christian all the way up here. A spy eh? Interesting.

• edited September 2017

[Call out for Dacey] Oh damn, I wasn't expecting things to get this desperate again so soon. I can't help but hate the Sons of the Trident almost as much as Harren himself, here's hoping Kyra and Gravven kill as many of them as possible if given the chance.

• [Stay silent] Nah. Do as your told, speak when you're spoken to, y'know. I'm not a big fan of Hjalgar anyhow, and I ain't putting Breaker in further danger.

• edited September 2017

[Call out for Dacey] Well,maybe she won't do anything and Hjalgar will still die (and Garthon found himself in even a worst situation) but I believe that the Ironbro will try to save the only friend that he have

RT:

• Today Christian Tomas learn a really precious lesson;if you have free time don't waste it in dangerous trips or you can found only troubles (like become a prisoner of the revolutionary)
    • After years the Sons of Trident are back in the story! And they give me the impression to be a just and fair group of revolutionary
    • While Jon (and the other guy?) is in the north taking a break from his job as revolutionary today we meet again Dacey,let's see what she will do knowing the fact that George was killed and Garthon kneel (even if obviously forced to do that) to the Ironborn King
    • Of the new characters I have nothing special to say for now (even if I'm curious to see their leader)
    • It is funny that after all his talk about the equality between people Tomas was mistaken to be an Ironborn and become a prisoner just because of that
    • In this part you mentioned some interesting locations and I'm quite curious to discover if we will see them in the story
    • In the end I add that I really like this part and I'll wait with tremendous anticipation the consequence of this choice,the meeting with the leader of the Sons of Trident and the fair and just trial where everyone is always found guilty

• [Call out for Dacey] nooooo Hjalgar!!!!

• [Call out for Dacey] Desperate times call for desperate measures. Honestly, I don't have high hopes for this ending well, which is a shame because I really grew to like Hjalgar towards the end of Book 1. That said, let's at least try to save him.

And as much as the Sons of Trident irritated me in this part, I have to say they bring an interesting element to the story. And it's not like their hatred for the Ironborn is uncalled for, they just happened to capture perhaps the two most decent Ironborn ever (and a completely innocent Reachman) which obviously makes them look like dicks. Still, I'd definitely side with them over Harren.

• [Call out for Dacey] I am not doing this out of any particular love for Hjalgar. He has always been one of my least liked characters, despite his occasional shining moment, and I wouldn't really mind if he ended up kicking the bucket. However, I don't think Garthon would really sit by and let him get hanged. Garthon was and always shall be the guy to stick by his friends and family, and if we deviated from this now, I am afraid that he may no longer be the Garthon we all know and love. Plus I want to see if Dacey is still cool with Garthon or is mad like everyone else. And whether or not she remembers George, her once upon a time crush.

• [Stay silent]

My first priority is for Garthon to survive. We must not lose another Breaker bro.

• [Stay Silent]
    I think will die.So why do we put Garthon in danger?Staying silent will be the right choice

• [Call out for Dacey]

• While pretty ruthless, is not as if the Riverlanders don't have reasons to hate Ironborn.

Aye, that is important to take into account. The Sons of the Trident might be extreme in some of their methods, but they have good reason to hate the Ironborn, since Harren does the same things they do on a much larger scale every single day to their people. This time, they got the wrong people, but most of those they capture are raiders and soldiers under Harren's banner, meaning they usually don't execute innocents.

Oh, the cruel irony, very soon the Riverlords will have a very good reason to rise in arms, and will bring lots of firepower with him.

Hehe, if only they knew. As it is, word of Aegon's landing hasn't even reached this group of woodland anarchists, as their means of acquiring information is slow and unreliable at best. The Riverlords themselves are only now learning about the new king in Westeros and like Harren himself, they are still underestimating him. However, it does not take much for the Riverlords to take up arms against their king. A single act of defiance from the Breaker brothers could have been enough, so three fully grown dragons are a pretty great argument for them.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

This is bad, either Garthon speaks and risks getting both of them killed, or lets Hjalgar die and then tries to negotiate. [Call out for Da

• Bunch of terrorists opposing the legitimate ruler

I believe they prefer the term 'freedom fighter'. But yeah, like most of their kind, the line is a bit blurry. The Sandstorm they are not though. Robin Hood has been a bit of an inspiration for them, but seen through the more realistic view Westeros offers, meaning these men are anything but merry.

Bah Dewyn the Fiddler.

Deywn. Though it might look like a spelling error, it's actually correct according to his submission. It's kinda pronounced like Dyhn, I think, but I recently learned that I've been pronouncing Durrandon the wrong way for two and a half years now, so I wouldn't give much on my pronounciation skills.

Poor Christian all the way up here. A spy eh? Interesting.

Yeah, he's really to be pitied. What should have been an easy task just turned into a really complicated clusterfuck of problems. Just imagine how the Sons will react if he tells them that his lord is in league with House Hoare (not that he knows all the details, but he knows enough to accidentally imply such a thing). But he has indeed done some spy work for Lord Raylan, so he is at least somewhat familiar with the lords of the Riverlands.

[Stay silent] Eh, RIP Hjalgar. Well, for some reason I don't think he'll die, so what the heck? Bunch of terrorists opposing the legitimate ruler Bah Dewyn the Fiddler. Poor Christian all the way up here. A spy eh? Interesting.

• I can't help but hate the Sons of the Trident almost as much as Harren himself, here's hoping Kyra and Gravven kill as many of them as possible if given the chance.

Haha, I see they left a bad impression on you :D I can definitely see why you think that way. At the same time, most of the Sons are actually decent people, or at least idealists. Deywn might represent a more brutal part of them, but there's also people like Jon the Harper, whom have been quite affable and reasonable. They are simply the result of a hundred years of tyranny and being treated like second-class citizens in their own lands, fighting an uphill battle against an absolutely ruthless enemy that outnumbers them a thousand to one, so that might explain why they have taken up such methods.

[Call out for Dacey] Oh damn, I wasn't expecting things to get this desperate again so soon. I can't help but hate the Sons of the Trident a

• Today Christian Tomas learn a really precious lesson;if you have free time don't waste it in dangerous trips or you can found only troubles (like become a prisoner of the revolutionary)

Amen to that. Christian's got it bad lately. After not appearing for several chapters and being nearly forgotten, he returns just to accidentally slip into the biggest and most dangerous mess he could have accidentally slipped into. Now he's really going to have to work to get out of this alive.

After years the Sons of Trident are back in the story! And they give me the impression to be a just and fair group of revolutionary

Aye, I remember you brought up the concerns that the Sons might be evenly divided into the good branch and the bad branch a couple parts ago, in Kyra's part. Now, I hope this ultimately proved, that is not the case. Make no mistake, they cannot be narrowed down to simple good or bad among their branches. I'd say there's good and bad in each of them. Some, like Jon the Harper, are more affable and reasonable, yet he still was perfectly willing to gut Garthon in their first meeting until convinced otherwise. Deywn is a more brutal guy, yet even he might have sympathetic traits.

While Jon (and the other guy?) is in the north taking a break from his job as revolutionary today we meet again Dacey,let's see what she will do knowing the fact that George was killed and Garthon kneel (even if obviously forced to do that) to the Ironborn King

Nah, Jon is not taking a break. None of them ever do. He is just not in the main camp, just like he wasn't there when Garthon first met him. He and a few others are doing work in the northern Riverlands, all in the name of defeating the Ironborn. And yeah, Dacey is back now and she knows Garthon the best out of the ones that are currently present. Thing is, they all know Garthon was forced to kneel, though they still hold it against him. If he would have been defiant in this moment, there would be open rebellion right now. It might be a bit unfair for them to blame Garthon for not wanting to become a martyr, but well, Torvin was perfectly willing to do this, so they are disappointed that he does not have the same strength as his brother.

Of the new characters I have nothing special to say for now (even if I'm curious to see their leader)

Hm, yeah, this was very much an introduction part for them and save for Deywn, none got more than two lines. Though I hope they will leave a bit of an impression in time. Edric will appear soon and well, he is easily my favourite of the Sons, so I am looking forward for him :)

It is funny that after all his talk about the equality between people Tomas was mistaken to be an Ironborn and become a prisoner just because of that

That's the price you got to pay for being naive. Ironborn and Greenlanders are not equal and both would vehemently protest against the very thought. There might be hope for them in some capacity, but as long as the Ironborn culture is so focussed on raiding and dominating the mainlands, there will always be people like the Sons, who take drastic action against this.

In this part you mentioned some interesting locations and I'm quite curious to discover if we will see them in the story

Let me guess, you mean Riverrun, Seagard and Pyke, aye? The anwer is yes, yes and... yes, though not necessarily from the same PoV or anytime soon. But I plan on showing a lot of different locations, in the Riverlands and elsewhere.

In the end I add that I really like this part and I'll wait with tremendous anticipation the consequence of this choice,the meeting with the leader of the Sons of Trident and the fair and just trial where everyone is always found guilty

Ah, I am very glad you enjoyed this part :) And yeah, Edric will appear soon and we'll get to see his definition of a fair and just trial. The thing is though, it all comes down to the definition of the crime. For example, hardcore Ironborn raiders would consider being on trial for raiding an injustice. The Sons have their own views and moralities and so far, they have been very consistent in them, not the slightest bit unjust from their standpoint. It's simply, they have yet to put someone on trial they won't ultimately consider guilty, but that does not mean they are not open to consider it.

[Call out for Dacey] Well,maybe she won't do anything and Hjalgar will still die (and Garthon found himself in even a worst situation) but

• And as much as the Sons of Trident irritated me in this part, I have to say they bring an interesting element to the story. And it's not like their hatred for the Ironborn is uncalled for, they just happened to capture perhaps the two most decent Ironborn ever (and a completely innocent Reachman) which obviously makes them look like dicks. Still, I'd definitely side with them over Harren.

Yeah, the situation probably casts a bad light on them. If they would put Harmund Hoare on such a trial, I'd guess opinions on them would be much more favourable. In general, most of those they capture are people that have commited actual crimes againt the Riverlands. Right now, they just had the misfortune of stumbling upon some of the few Ironborn that are actually decent by their standards and oppose Harren Hoare for reasons they'd consider similarly decent. Giving them the typical Ironborn treatemnt is obviously unfair, so it remains to be seen how they will react should Garthon manage to convince them.

[Call out for Dacey] Desperate times call for desperate measures. Honestly, I don't have high hopes for this ending well, which is a shame b

• edited September 2017

I actually do agree with their methods (though I still think they're nothing more than filth, I'm with team Ironborn here :D), my main problem with them boils down to one thing: They are perfectly fine with killing an "ally" for the simple fact that he didn't want to die for a cause that wasn't even entirely his. I know that the ally in question is an Ironborn by birth, but he was one of them for a time and this is how they repay him? Just doesn't sit right with me.

I can't help but hate the Sons of the Trident almost as much as Harren himself, here's hoping Kyra and Gravven kill as many of them as possi

• [Call out for Dacey]

• edited September 2017

[Call out for Dacey] No way! We can't just let Hjalgar die without even trying to save him. He's a good guy who's only crime was to be born an Ironborn. Well that and attempted regicidee, but still.

EDIT: I'm having a hard time remembering Dacey and Jon. Mind giving me a quick reminder? Christian too. I remember that he's their guide but not much else.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.