Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• edited October 2017

Heey everybody, I've made yet another portrait :D This time it's one of the many antagonists in this story, Petyr Vyrwel! I hope you like it:

Edit: Oh for fuck's sake looks I started a new page with this post. Sorry, didn't mean to, there is an important post from Liquid in the earlier page, please go there :D

• Without a doubt, there are few things I love more than surprise portraits =) Particularly, if it is about a character I wholeheartedly enjoy to write, which Petyr definitely is. His drawing from before war already top notch, but this portrait really is something else entirely, naturally. It looks amazing, so perfectly like I imagined him, having just the right mixture between shadiness and charisma. I must admit, after this hype I kinda regret not writing Jenna's part first, because that would have meant more from him. Ah, there's always a next part :D

Heey everybody, I've made yet another portrait This time it's one of the many antagonists in this story, Petyr Vyrwel! I hope you like it:

• @InKennyWeTrust

Woops, I missed the vote. Awfully sorry for that. I loved Sadie's chapter particularly because it means that we will finally see the Reyne family again! I'm really happy, missed them a lot.

Ah, glad you have not gone inactive due to the forum update either. It seems, at least as far as I can tell now, that my initial worries were completely unfounded, phew. And yes, we will finally get to see the Reyne's again this chapter, after over 2 and a half years of absence for Mileena, Alanna and Tinnet. They'll finally live up to the importance I promised when you first submitted them :)

Also I have to mention that my absence here can be explained with my secret project, which is connected to your story ;) Might tell you the details later!

I must say, now I am very intrigued. Whenever you wish to share more about this, feel free to contact me =)

• Raenna

Though this man was not her king, this wasn't really what it was about. Torrhen Stark was a man that demanded respect and deserved it and the last she wanted was to make a bad first impression out of sheer stubbornness. And so, she bent the knee to this man, this king, under the watchful eyes of his court.

“Rise”, Torrhen ordered them and she and Brandon followed his wish, with Myles remaining only slightly longer. The king's lips formed a thin smile, like a sun on a winter's morrow, as he approached them. “Brother”, he said calmly, his grey eyes gleaming with relief as he pulled Brandon into a brief hug. The two men separated from each other as quickly as they embraced, yet remained closer, their hands touching each others upper arms. “When your reports stopped, we feared for the worst”

“The worst would have almost happened”, Brandon confirmed, before pointing at Raenna, who gulped as each man in this hall focussed on her now. “At least if not for her” The King in the North looked past him, right at her. “This is the one you mentioned?”, he asked and Brandon gave him a nod.

“Your grace”, Raenna greeted him with a light bow, as he stepped towards her, glancing at her with narrowed eyes. “Younger than I thought”, he admitted. “And Valyrian. Your name is Raenna?” She nodded. “Raenna Minsworth”, she confirmed. “And it's half-Valyrian” Torrhen walked around her now and he reminded her of a wolf circling its prey. Or maybe it was this entire court of wolves that gave her such a feeling.

“You know that your kind declared war on us?”, he asked, to which she gave him a nod. “Aegon Targaryen, if I am not mistaken”, she replied. “Never met him before and I have no ties to him, if that's what you are concerned for” Torrhen shook his head. “I wouldn't quite put it that way”, he said. “Not if what Brandon wrote in his letter is true” He had lowered his voice by now, making sure that the lords were unable to hear them. “Is he correct?”

Raenna bit down onto her lower lip, before she gave him a nod, avoiding his gaze now. “Fascinating”, Torrhen said. “And yet it doesn't change my gratitude. You saved my brothers life and this shall always be rewarded. Who did the deed is secondary” A stern, icy look appeared on his face before Raenna could even think about feeling relief. “Yet we will have a talk about this in private”

Finally, the smile returned. “Mylords!”, he proclaimed. “Welcome my brother back in these halls! And welcome his saviour, Lady Raenna!” The lords and their entourage raised their mugs, slamming them onto the tables in front of them, three times each. The massive Lord Umber grinned widely, while the other man, whose banner Raenna recognized as that of House Karstark, looked more dour. The young woman next to him though eyed Raenna cautiously and curiously.

“I see some of the banners are already present”, Brandon spoke, glancing around the room, nodding to both lords. “Lord Karstark, Lord Umber” Umber's grin widened and Karstark at least reciprocated the nod. “How long until the rest of them will be here?”

Torrhen shrugged. “It could take months”, he admitted. “Some of the lords hesitate, others gather their own banners first. It wouldn't surprise me if some haven't even heard the call yet” He turned around, walking back to his throne, beckoning the trio to follow. Raenna looked over her shoulder, giving Briar a smile and extending her hand. The girl reciprocated the smile with a wide grin, as she grabbed it, walking down the long path through the Great Hall with her.

The King in the North sat down on his throne, leaving the four newcomers standing, as he mustered them. “Myles Cerwyn”, he greeted him and the man took another bow. “It is surely nice to have you here. Has your father already gathered his men?”

Myles gave his king a nod. “He has started”, he said. “Yet he will wait for the lords south of Winterfell to arrive before he makes his way here. I suppose he will make the journey together with Lord Reed or Lord Manderly. But as always, House Cerwyn is honed and ready”

Torrhen smiled and it wasn't without kindness as he looked at Briar. “And who might this young lady be?”, he asked. The girl did a clumsy curtsy, followed by a slightly embarrassed smile. “I'm Briar”, she introduced herself, her voice having a sheepish tone to it.

“Briar, I see”, the king replied softly. “I'll have to introduce you to my daughter. She's your age and I'm sure she would love having someone to play with” With wide eyes, Briar gave him a silent nod, as the king looked at Brandon. “Now then, brother, what have you found in the south?”

Brandon sighed, giving Raenna a quick nod and she put a hand on Briar's shoulder, taking the girl a few steps back. Thankfully, Myles was quick to notice what this meant, as he approached her. “I'll wait outside with her”, he offered and Raenna shot him a bright smile. “Thank you”, she replied and the man avoided her gaze, as he offered his hand to Briar. The girl grabbed it and together, they walked down the Great Hall.

At his brother's curious glance, Brandon shook his head. “It's better if she doesn't hear this”, he spoke. “Briar has been through enough when it comes to this man I have to tell you about” He narrowed his eyes. “The one behind the killings is a man called Maron Mullendore”

“Mullendore...”, Torrhen mumbled, his tone showing that he had no idea whom this man was. He glanced at the young woman next to Lord Karstark and she instantly sat straight. “House Mullendore of Uplands”, she explained and Torrhen raised his eyebrows. “Sworn to Hightower, aren't they?”, he growled.

“They are”, Brandon confirmed. “Maron is the cousin of the current Lord Mullendore, albeit he is, to my knowledge, the only one of his family involved in all this” He took a deep breath. “He is the man we know as Butterfly, the beast that took so many northern lives”, he stated. “The Snow Wolves have been wiped out by him and the only reason I am still alive is because this woman freed me from his dungeons”

Heavily, Lord Umber's hand slammed onto the table. “A Reachman did this?”, he spat. “A noble? This is a declaration of war!” With fury in his eyes, he looked at his king. “How do you plan to answer this, your grace?”

Torrhen frowned, yet glanced at Lord Karstark, who shook his head. “Men can do evil without a king to tell them”, he stated. “Snow, have you informed Mern Gardener about this?” Brandon shook his head. “Maron Mullendore followed us”, he answered. “And Raenna was wounded. I considered it more important to save her life”

Karstark gave Raenna a judging look and she instantly regretted that she didn't have her hood on. “A girl with silver hair”, he growled and shook his head. “Hardly” He looked at his king. “We already have an enemy. I say send word to that gardener, let him know of that rot in his domain!”

“We march south regardless”, Torrhen answered. “Once the banners are gathered, once the Dragonlord and Harren Hoare have torn each other apart, we'll descend upon what is left of them” He grinned, a wolfish, dangerous grin. “We'll leave but their frozen remains”, he growled. “Then we shall meet the Gardener king and we shall not ask for justice, but demand it”

“Yes!”, Umber roared with his deep voice and Karstark nodded with approval. “If he gives us this... Butterfly, I can live with that”, he agreed. Torrhen looked back at Brandon, then at Raenna. “I can never repay you for saving my kin”, he spoke. “And yet, if there is anything, name it and it shall be yours... within reasonable bounds, I must add”

Raenna smiled, slightly insecure at this mass of attention she was given. It was the first time so many high men were focussing on her. The first time she shared a room with these people, whom her mother had always warned her about. She was raised to be wary of them and of their gifts and yet, she trusted Brandon, how could she not trust his brother?

“Actually, there is something else”, Brandon spoke. “I had the opportunity to witness Raenna in action. She is fierce, she is dangerous and capable. The Snow Wolves are no more and yet, I would like to keep the work they did for this kingdom” He looked from Raenna to Torrhen. “Your grace, with your permission and Raenna's agreement, I would suggest taking her into your service”

“So, you want her to solve my issue?”, Umber growled and his voice sounded neither warm, nor cold, just with genuine interest in it and he looked at her the same way a merchant would look at cattle to buy. “I believe this would be very much in the realm of her skill”, Brandon replied.

Raenna clenched her fists and the King in the North noticed it, raising an eyebrow. “You have been silent throughout this, mylady”, he spoke and Raenna forced herself to smile. “I do not mean to offend you, your grace”, she replied. “This is just... I have spent most of the journey to Winterfell recovering. A lot has happened in the last months and I haven't made my mind up on this yet”

Torrhen gave her a nod. “I trust my brother and as such, I can only offer it to you”, he said. “You would serve me and the North and in return, you will have a good life at my court. A new home and I can promise, you will find it to be a pleasant one in time” Raenna gulped and Torrhen sighed. “Of course...”, he muttered. “It has been a long journey. My apologies, I do not mean to force you into an answer you are not ready to give yet” His smile returned. “You are my guest, mylady. Stay as long as you want. Rest as long as you want and think of my offer. When you are ready, inform me about your decision”

“This I can do”, Raenna confirmed and Torrhen seemed satisfied with this statement. “Very well”, he said and looked at one of the guards, a man to his right, with light brown hair, a short beard and a moustache. “Eon, bring the lady to one of the guest rooms. Pick a decently sized one for her, then gather some of the servants, they shall prepare a meal and make sure she is given everything she needs”

“One moment, if you may”, the young woman next to Lord Karstark said all of a sudden. She glanced at Raenna out of deep, blue eyes. “I would like to take Dustin's duty”, she offered. “If you allow it, your grace” She looked at the old Lord Karstark. “Uncle”

Karstark rolled his eyes. “Fine”, he growled and Torrhen gave her a nod. “If you wish, Lady Malina”, he said, though her uncle raised a hand. “Gared, you'll go with her”, he hissed, glancing over his shoulder at one of the Karstark guards. It was a man leaning against the wall, his arms crossed. He was taller than his lord, with only the Umber's surpassing him in height, with blonde hair that fell down onto his shoulders and light blue eyes. Though handsome, a scar spanned across his face, crossing over the nose and Raenna could only suspect that the blow, had it been just a bit harder, would have left a truly disfiguring wound or worse. He wore clothes in the black and white of the house he was serving, though surprisingly fine for a mere guard.

“Of course, mylord”, he said, as he walked around the table, Malina Karstark following him. He flashed a grin at the guard Torrhen had meant to take on this task first and the man, Eon, responded with a dark glare in return. Then, Malina had reached Raenna, offering her arm. “Mylady”, she greeted her and Raenna, unsure what was expected of her, reached for the arm, as Brandon gave her a nod. “Rest, my friend”, he told her. “I will check on you in the evening. Until then, I have no doubt we'll find something for Briar as well”

And with this, Raenna left the room, accompanied by Lady Malina and her guard. The Karstark lady was smiling sweetly, as they passed a small door, entering a hallway that led deeper through Winterfell's keep. “So, it is Raenna, right?”, she asked.

Raenna gave her a nod. “Wonderful. My name is Malina Karstark”, she introduced herself. “Niece of Lord Brogar. The lump of meat next to me is Gared Snow” Gared gave her a calm nod. “Yeah, it's a bastard name”, he stated. “Dustin's bastard to be precise. That's why Eon back in the hall doesn't like me all that much and he's still the most tolerable of his pack” He shrugged. “Hope you don't have a problem with bastards”

“None at all”, Raenna was quick to assure him. “I... actually I am a bastard myself” Malina raised an eyebrow. “I wouldn't have guessed”, she admitted. “You go by Minsworth. Father's name, I presume?” Raenna shook her head. “Mother's”, she admitted, feeling slight unease at how quickly the Karstark woman was reading her.

“Then I presume there was a reason to hide your bastardy”, she deduced. “Let me guess, your father was someone very important” She narrowed her eyes in an inquisitive way, yet despite having her secrets handed to herself on a silver platter, Raenna did not feel intimidated. In fact, there was something endearing about Malina's genuine curiosity and more than that, she was actually glad to have a woman in her age to talk to.

“There are three houses with strong Valyrian blood in their veins. And there was a Raenna Celtigar once, the late mother of Lord Crispian...”, she continued, before she shook her head. “Now, that would be too obvious. She was a Targaryen by birth, King Aegon's great-aunt”

Raenna raised an eyebrow. “You know a lot about history”, she complimented her, partially genuine, partially to avoid more deductions about her past, given how scarily close Malina had come in just a minute of them walking together. Brandon had kept her identity a secret for good reason and she was not sure if she wanted men such as Malina's uncle to know of this.

Malina chuckled sweetly. “I'm afraid that is the extent of it”, she admitted. “My brother loves history, books written by dead people about dead people” She shook her head. “I actually have quite a dislike for the topic. Instead of doing the reading, I'd much rather be the one that is read about”

“Ambitious”, Raenna complimented her and Malina smirked. “Ah, dear, I do what I can”, she chirped. “Such as unwrapping the enigma that is Raenna Minsworth” She narrowed her eyes, though her jovial tone remained. “It should be Raenna Waters though”, she continued. “And if your parents were married... what would you say, would it be... Raenna Targaryen?”

Raenna's alarmed look gave her away and Malina was quick to put a hand onto her back. “Shhh, relax”, she spoke. “Does the king know?” Wordlessly, Raenna gave her a nod and Malina removed the hand from her back. “Then that will suffice”, she stated. “Your secret is safe with me” She glanced at her bodyguard. “And with Gared as well, because he knows what's good for him”

A grin formed on the man's face, as he put a finger onto his lips. Malina however was eyeing Raenna with curiosity in her gaze. “Can't say I've ever seen a Valyrian, much less a Targaryen”, she said. “You know, your family has quite a way with making their presence known”

“They are not much of a family to me”, Raenna replied and Malina gave her a nod. “Ah, of course”, she said and her smile faded. “I... have heard of the old dragonlord's opinion on bastards. Must have been hard on you” Raenna shrugged, briefly biting down onto her lower lip. “I don't know it any other way”, she said. “Hiding from my uncle because he'd kill me if he'd know of my secret”

Gared whistled, sounding baffled as he did so. “And I thought my family was a bad one”, he admitted. “Yours... hells, they suck hard” Raenna sighed and she gave him a nod, before she looked at Malina. “I guess I can be lucky he never had someone like you by his side”, she mumbled. “How have you guessed it so quickly?”

Malina smiled in a friendly way, as they walked up a set of stairs, entering another hallway, located above the Great Hall. “Uncle Brogar keeps me around for a reason”, she said. “And it's because I'm the best at what I do. My little brother likes to read books, I prefer to read people. How else could I ever be of note at Karhold?” She tilted her eyes, still eyeing Raenna with unashamed curiosity. “I can only imagine the chance this offers”, she said. “A Targaryen bastard, working for the King in the North”

“I'm not working for anyone yet”, Raenna clarified and Malina gave her a nod. “Of course”, she replied. “And yet, you should think about it. Torrhen Stark is not a bad man to serve under. A bit dour, but he cares for his kingdom and his subjects. Sure, the land can be cold and harsh, but there's a beauty in it, if you know where to look”

“I'll consider it”, Raenna promised and it was the truth. Actually, it was more than that. Terroma was dead. Kersea was dead. The thought kept her up at night, when she felt more lonely than ever. She left the former, then the latter, all for a hope of home and it wasn't until they were gone that she realized, what else could she have ever hoped for but them? Where else could she go? No family, no friends. The North was as good a place to start anew as any other and they actually wanted her here. That was, admittedly, a wholly new experience and it felt good. She smiled. “I'll consider it”, she repeated.

Malina reciprocated the smile and hers was sweeter. “Wonderful”, she spoke and pointed at a door, a few feet away from them. “That's it”, she said and stopped in front of it. Gared pushed the door open, revealing a small chamber. Light fell through a narrow window, though it was enough to illuminate it. While the walls were warm, the cold fireplace made it less inviting than it could be and yet, Raenna sighed with relief as she spotted the large bed. After two months spent on a cart, this felt like heaven to her, a bed to call her own. There was also a large wardrobe next to the window, a small table and two chairs, as well as a chest right next to the bed.

“And there you have it”, Malina presented the room. “Not much, I know, but it'll be all yours as long as you want. King Torrhen stays true to his word. Even better, the room to your right is my own, so if you need anything, you know where to find me” Raenna stared at the room, smiling as she did so. It has been a long time since she had a room of her own and never before was it one of such comfort. “It's perfect”, she mumbled.

Malina chuckled. “Well, at least you like it”, she said. “I'll send some servants for you, they shall bring food and more. Perhaps you care for a bath and a fresh set of clothes?” Eyeing her once again, she raised an eyebrow. “Your hair is lovely, but if you allow me the remark, you should do more with it”

Raenna smiled. “That will be another thing I consider”, she spoke. It was strange. There she was, with a woman that saw right through her and uncovered her most well-kept secret with scary precision and yet, she didn't feel unhappy, or even just scared. Maybe this could truly be the start of something good.

“While you're at the considering”, Gared spoke up. “There is something else I'd like to offer” He smiled, crossing his thick arms behind his back. “You see, me and the others, there's this meeting we have, every couple evenings, in the shadow beneath the bell tower, just next to the stables. It's warm there and dry and most importantly, we get to have a good time” He smirked. “There's wine and song. Sure, Eon will be there and his crony, that Hornwood arse, but Mace and Jorn aren't too bad and I guess Cerwyn will join us too”

He glanced at Malina. “Of course, you are invited as well, mylady”, he said politely. “I'll bring dice and I guess Mormont will bring the cards” Malina raised an eyebrow, giving Gared a beautiful smile. “You always know how to gain my interest”, she whistled and looked at Raenna. “That could be a good opportunity to get to know the people here at Winterfell. Would you like to come? I... understand that your journey hasn't been the easiest”

That was very much an understatement. Walking up the stairs and through this hallway, it reminded Raenna how close she had been to death just weeks ago. Sure, she was up on her feet again. Drinking, gambling, of course, that could be a good time and she'd get to meet the others, but should she do this right now?

[Accept the offer] [Decline in favour of rest]

• edited October 2017

[Decline in favour of rest] While getting to see the interactions of the northerners would be interesting, Raenna should rest, it would help her clear her thoughts about serving Torrhen.

I do wonder what kind of problem House Umber is worried about, that their king needs to be involved. Now that I think about it, Gared serves the Starks or the Karstark's?

Raenna is probably the first Valyrian to be at Winterfell in centuries, likely ever, and it would be nearly a century before any other Targaryen would visit the North.

• I do wonder what kind of problem House Umber is worried about, that their king needs to be involved. Now that I think about it, Gared serves the Starks or the Karstark's?

Well, it surely is a dire problem and one that has been up for a while now, as Brandon knew about it and specifically believes that Raenna could help solving it. As for Gared, he serves the Karstarks, as he pretty much wanted to serve in the North, but at a place far away from Barrowton and he can't go much farther than Karhold for that.

Raenna is probably the first Valyrian to be at Winterfell in centuries, likely ever, and it would be nearly a century before any other Targaryen would visit the North.

At the very least, she is the first to visit the North in many centuries. I wouldn't put it past Valyrian explorers of old, or merchants in the days before the Doom to actually travel to the North, at least as far as White Harbour, but Winterfell itself? Yeah, I'd say she could likely be the first ever, definitely the first Targaryen.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Decline in favour of rest] While getting to see the interactions of the northerners would be interesting, Raenna should rest, it would help

• [Accept the offer]

Raenna Though this man was not her king, this wasn't really what it was about. Torrhen Stark was a man that demanded respect and deserved

• [Accept the offer] Eh, I'll say let's get to know these characters a little better. I'm sure Raenna will get a chance to rest later.

I'm quite intrigued by this problem that Lord Umber is having. I'm guessing the solution to it requires violence, since obviously being a killer is Raenna's most prominent skill. Perhaps an assassination of some sort is needed?

Raenna Though this man was not her king, this wasn't really what it was about. Torrhen Stark was a man that demanded respect and deserved

• [Decline in favour of rest]

Let's rest first, we can mingle later.

• [Accept the offer] How could you not? It's so rare that these characters get to have a good time. And if Raenna is staying in the North for some time it might be good to get to know the people and some of their customs. Plus it'll be fun.

I loved this part! I shit you not, I was smiling almost for the whole thing. Malina is just as I imagined. I really enjoyed her short chat with Raenna and you showed Malina's intelligence and talent for reading people really beautifully! I can't wait for more scenes between these two, I hope something can grow from this.

• [Accept the offer]

• [Accept the offer]

• @WildlingKing

I'm quite intrigued by this problem that Lord Umber is having. I'm guessing the solution to it requires violence, since obviously being a killer is Raenna's most prominent skill. Perhaps an assassination of some sort is needed?

That is at least possibility, yes. Brandon knows precisely what Raenna is capable of and he has chosen her in particular for this. At the same time, he knows of her desire to leave her days of being a hired killer behind, so he is just as likely to offer her something different. At the very least a fullblown assassination would be quite odd for a man as straightforward as Roffe Umber, though her talent for killing could certainly be utilized in different ways just as well.

[Accept the offer] Eh, I'll say let's get to know these characters a little better. I'm sure Raenna will get a chance to rest later. I'm

• edited October 2017

@AgentZ46

I loved this part! I shit you not, I was smiling almost for the whole thing. Malina is just as I imagined. I really enjoyed her short chat with Raenna and you showed Malina's intelligence and talent for reading people really beautifully! I can't wait for more scenes between these two, I hope something can grow from this.

Ah, I am so happy I managed to portray Malina in an enjoyable way :) It's been a long time in the making that I can finally feature her and she'll definitely have a decently sized part in Book 2. More scenes with Raenna are incoming and I'm glad you liked the interaction between them in this part, because that means the things I have in mind for these two are likely going into the right direction.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Accept the offer] How could you not? It's so rare that these characters get to have a good time. And if Raenna is staying in the North for

• [Accept the offer]

As much as I want some gambling, rest is needed. More healing means that when Raenna (inevitably) has to fight again, she'll do better. I get the feeling that may be sooner rather than later.

• [Decline in favour of rest] While I would love to interact with all these charming fellows of the North, Raenna is going to need to be in peak shape in order to help out the Umbers. I wonder what their problem is exactly. Knowing them, it has something to do with those darn Wildlings crossing into their territory, but I am not quite so sure. I can't wait to see more of Roffe and Dag interacting with others, because their presence in a room is practically always noticed. I think we are going to enjoy seeing them in their full bearded glory, and this little background banter from Roffe is a positive first glimpse on what's to come.

• [Accept the offer] If the other choice is "only" to rest I like more this choice because it is more fun,we can interact with other characters and maybe can help Raenna to decide what she want to do

RT:
    1)And now even the King of the North know the real identity of Butterfly,Mullendore is probably the most loved and well known character that is not a King of this story!
    2)I'm curious to see what you plan with Raenna and the role that Briar will have in the future
    3)The new characters of the day are guards!Guards! GUARDS! Dumb Discworld citation aside it seems that Eon is a honest man that follow his duty and never complain while Gared is clearly the guy that receive bribes (just look at what he wear!)
    3)Malina seems a really smart character (and it seems that she doesn't have an high opinion of her brother)
    4)I'm curious since you remember in this part to the readers of the story Raenna' s past if she will ever meet someone of valyrian blood

• @The_not_chosen_one

1)And now even the King of the North know the real identity of Butterfly,Mullendore is probably the most loved and well known character that is not a King of this story!

At least outside of royalty, yes, Mullendore starts to make a name for himself. It's not a good name of course, with some very influential people knowing his secret and having a legitimate reason to have a grudge on him. That is the downside of his actions, not everyone gets away with doing terrible things. However, he has tremendous luck that Aegon's Conquest gives his most powerful enemies a bigger target to focus on first. Then again, Aegon surely means trouble for him as well, particularly if you remember the good impression he left on Orys.

2)I'm curious to see what you plan with Raenna and the role that Briar will have in the future

My plans for Raenna are definitely quite large. In fact, she is the main reason for the extented length of Book 2, as I need to put relatively much development into a comparably short amount of time. Expect her to regularly have the longest storyline in several chapters to come, as well as probably one of the most exciting, if everything works out. Briar will be featured in it as well, albeit she is also planned to appear in the other northern PoV's parts.

3)The new characters of the day are guards!Guards! GUARDS! Dumb Discworld citation aside it seems that Eon is a honest man that follow his duty and never complain while Gared is clearly the guy that receive bribes (just look at what he wear!)

My friend, there is never a dumb Discworld citation, just those that fit and those that fit a little better. But yeah, we got Guards! Guards! here, albeit Eon was actually introduced in Torrhen's Interlude. Gared is a very different character though and he is technically more a sellsword than a sworn guard. Brogar Karstark pays him very well, because he knows he is worth it, but should he get a better offer, he might consider just switching masters. Him taking bribes... it'd probably depend what he is bribed to do.

3)Malina seems a really smart character (and it seems that she doesn't have an high opinion of her brother)

Oh, Malina actually has quite a good opinion on Dante, it's just that she has an even higher opinion on herself. She respects that there are fields in which he is clearly better than her, just like he has often mentioned that she'd know more about some situations than he does. And well, neither is interested in the specialties of the other, just like how Malina is bored by history, Dante has no interest in current political games and schemes.

4)I'm curious since you remember in this part to the readers of the story Raenna' s past if she will ever meet someone of valyrian blood

At least not anytime soon. As Edinosaur pointed out quite rightfully, Valyrians in the north are an extremely rare sight and Raenna might just be the first to ever reach Winterfell. With Valyrians in general having become a rarer sight after the Doom killed likely a significant part of them (and their genetic traits being implied to be very recessive on top of that), her chances of meeting another one in the North should be almost zero.

[Accept the offer] If the other choice is "only" to rest I like more this choice because it is more fun,we can interact with other character

• @InGen_Nate_Kenny

As much as I want some gambling, rest is needed. More healing means that when Raenna (inevitably) has to fight again, she'll do better. I get the feeling that may be sooner rather than later.

Your feeling is probably not wrong here. Regardless if Brandon has chosen her to perform a fully blown assassination, she has few skills beyond her skill with weapons, meaning he probably picked her because of these. And you are right, if she is supposed to fight soon, being well healed is essential. Of course, how much one additional night is going to help with this remains to be seen.

[Decline in favour of rest] As much as I want some gambling, rest is needed. More healing means that when Raenna (inevitably) has to fight again, she'll do better. I get the feeling that may be sooner rather than later.

• @Bounden

I wonder what their problem is exactly. Knowing them, it has something to do with those darn Wildlings crossing into their territory, but I am not quite so sure.

Hm, this is something I will likely reveal towards the end of the current chapter, as it is a major plot point for Raenna in the chapters to come. It might have something to do with Wildlings indeed, yet at the same time, it absolutely has to be something she, as a single person, can affect, so it won't be something like leading an army against a Wildling invasion, Roffe would be very capable to do that all by himself.

I can't wait to see more of Roffe and Dag interacting with others, because their presence in a room is practically always noticed. I think we are going to enjoy seeing them in their full bearded glory, and this little background banter from Roffe is a positive first glimpse on what's to come.

And I cannot wait to write more of them :) We'll meet the other members of the Umber family soon as well, but for this chapter, I hope to give Roffe and Dag some deeper interactions. So far, I particularly enjoyed Roffe, so I am glad he already left an impression on you with his role so far. There is a lot more to come ;)

Bounden posted: »

[Decline in favour of rest] While I would love to interact with all these charming fellows of the North, Raenna is going to need to be in pe

• The Voting is closed!

Raenna is going to accept Gared's and Malina's offer

Well, I am going to close the voting right now, because it seems we'd otherwise aim for a vote tie, with currently 7-6 in favour of the winning option. Apologies if not everyone managed to vote, but it was a very active one regardless and I am happy with this, so I shall close the voting before a tie happens. As much as I know how to resolve them, I hate to do this, as it always feels like I'm abusing my write privilege. I'd much rather have you decide on it than making it a race for whom votes the fastest.

So, the next part will be a Jenna part, albeit I am not sure if she will remain the only PoV in it. I realized, this chapter has been going on for a while and is still far from over, yet at the same time, I'd like for it to be finished in December, to end this year with a bang. Like, really, the chapter finale has to be the most dramatic chapter finale this story had since Chapter 9 of Book 1. Eh, yeah, that's probably kinda obvious. But still, the reason for the long chapter, which is only halfway over, is that I tend to write more parts with just one PoV now. And I even removed Maya, Ilish, Janae and Kersea from having a storyline of their own this chapter, that's just how long it is. So, Jenna has to actually be the first to finish her storyline, because some events of hers have to happen before I can start with Samantha's storyline. Same actually goes for Richard. So, maybe there is room for a second PoV, but I remain a bit careful with this. I am writing Jenna's part right now and both would be an option. If I include a second PoV, it will go to either Jaron or Ysilla, with Jaron being a slightly better option, as Ysilla's next part might be better suited for a full-length part of her own. Hm, we'll see. Anyways, last time we saw Jenna, we were introduced to two new characters. One of them is Maester Eddard, the new Maester of Raylansfair, hand-picked by Archmaester Quent. Then there is his assistant, Vali Flowers, also known as Saltmouth for reasons that will become obvious once he gets a larger speaking role. That, as a matter of fact, will happen in Jenna's next part, where she volunteered to help him carry some of the men's belongings to the Maester's quarters. Meanwhile, Jaron and John decided to seek out the help of Ayden Blackwell on their search for Samuel Harrington, with whom they hope to ally, whereas Ysilla entered the brothel she presumes her brother to be in, only to be stopped by Jenelyne and Allar, who guarded the backrooms of the brothel in the name of Meria's spymaster, Absidee of Lys.

As last time, here is my new end to every closed voting. Hopefully I don't have to keep this up for much longer. I mean, the wiki is making progress (did I mention I now know how to make a featured article?) and I would really love for it to be prominently featured in the main post instead of some footnote whenever I close the voting. Anyways, this time, the closed voting will also include a link to the Tv Tropes page, as I shamefully forgot about it last time :(

If you are a new reader, allow me to welcome you! Check out the first post on Page 1 to learn more about this!

And for readers new and old, here is a collection of important links you might be interested in:

• Raenna is going to accept Gared's and Malina's offer

When I saw how close the the voting was and that accept the offer was barely winning I was honestly hoping you'd close the voting soon. :D

The Voting is closed! Raenna is going to accept Gared's and Malina's offer Well, I am going to close the voting right now, because it

• edited October 2017

Jenna

She groaned under the heavy weight, as she carried the crate up the stairs, even though Vali was carrying twice the amount without complaining. Beneath his lanky frame, there was a surprising strength and to be fair, Jenna had never been one to lift heavy weights. As so, she was mostly dragging herself up the stairs, while Vali seemed to do it with ease.

“So, I did not expect to get any help”, the young man said, briefly glancing over his shoulders to give her a bright smile. “And for someone as tiny as you, you make a pretty good job” Jenna raised an eyebrow. “Thanks...”, she mumbled. “I guess?”

He nodded. “Yeah, that was very much a compliment”, he claimed. Jenna pressed her lips together, sighing as she pushed herself up another set of stairs. “Can I ask you something?”, she asked as they stopped in front of Maester Eddard's quarters. She remembered when they still belonged to Eaton and it felt like a lifetime ago that the kind old maester walked through these halls. It all felt like a lifetime ago, Eaton, Halla, Harris. Times had changed and Jenna was not sure if it was all for the better.

“Actually, that was already a question”, Vali reminded her, as he pushed the door open. His lips formed a smile, before he gave her a nod. “But yeah, don't let me stop you” Jenna clenched her fists. “So, I gotta know...”, she mumbled. “Why do they call you Saltmouth?”

“Ah!”, Vali said, his smile widening as he entered the room. With a sigh, Jenna noticed how little was left of Eaton's legacy, as Maester Eddard was about to leave his own mark on the city. It seemed smaller now, half a dozen small crates blocking the way to the narrow bed, the doors to the wardrobe standing open and claiming further room. And it was cold, the fireplace empty and barren.

“Now, that is quite easy to answer”, he explained and presented her his widest grin. “See, I love to talk, fastly so, I interrupt people and perhaps I don't always watch my tongue as much as some might prefer. Some of those crusty geezers over at the Citadel, they didn't like this very much. Said I lack discipline and manners. Said I lack a great deal of stuff” He shrugged. “You know they got pretty old-fashioned ways to discipline those they don't like at the Citadel”, he spoke. “Not all of them do that anymore, but Quent, oh, that son of a bitch loves his saltings”

Jenna narrowed her eyes. “Saltings?”, she asked and Vali chuckled. “It ain't pretty”, he claimed. “They said I'm using my tongue too much, so they punished me for every quip, every joke, every time I dared to correct one of them. So, they took salt and they poured it down my throat. Left me crying like a babe for hours afterwards. Sure that didn't work and to spite them, I called myself Saltmouth, 'cause fuck them”

“That's horrible”, Jenna exclaimed and Vali gave her a nod. “Yeah, though a good thing is, each salting took my sense of smell for days”, he replied. “I mean, if you think that's a bad thing, you should smell Archmaester Quent, or that charlatan Wulvren”

He smiled widely and Jenna reciprocated the smile. “I only knew Maester Eaton”, she admitted and bit down onto her lower lip, averting her gaze as she continued. “And he didn't smell bad. Only... old” Vali gave her a nod. “Exactly!”, he proclaimed. “They didn't like me saying that very much, so yeah, more saltings”

Jenna tilted her head, while she put the crate onto the only table in the room, sighing with relief at the weight taken away from her arms. “So, you say the Archmaester didn't like you?”, she stated, to which Valia gave her only a nod. “Hells, that man hated me”, he claimed, which only further caught Jenna's curiosity. “So, if he hates you that much, why did he sent you here?”

Vali chuckled, as he put his weight down next to the bed, before sitting on the same. Putting his hands behind his back, he leant back against the wall, giving her a lazy grin. “Oh, you really don't know how to this works in Oldtown, right?”, he told her and she shook her head. “By the way, girl, what's your name?”

“It's Jenna”, Jenna replied and Vali gave her a nod. “My pleasure”, he said in a jovial tone. “So, Jenna, you gotta know one thing about those petty fucks at the Citadel. They don't like me, sure, but they really hate Raylansfair. Your Eaton, he got the position because they thought him worthless and they only hated this place more when he defied their expectations. They think of poor Saltmouth as worthless and I'm surely going to follow your old Maester's example”

Jenna raised an eyebrow. “So, you're telling me they consider Maester Eddard to be worthless as well?”, Jenna asked and to this, Vali shook his head. “Oh no, Eddard is actually brilliant”, he spoke, pointing at the chair behind her. Jenna glanced over her shoulder, though ultimately decided to remain standing. Though she liked listening to Vali's tale, she felt uncomfortable in this room. It had been Eaton's room for all her life, for all her father's life and even for all her grandfather's life. Calling it Eddard's room felt plain wrong to her.

“Then why did the Archmaester chose him?”, she asked and Vali smirked. “That's because Tavner wanted him in”, he said and she gave him a curious look. “Oh, come on, you don't know a thing of the world beyond your doorstep, huh?”, Vali chuckled. “Girl, no offence, but that pretty head of yours seems kinda empty to me”

Jenna puffed her cheeks briefly, staring at the ground and clenching her fists. “I start to see why they call you Saltmouth”, she replied, after taking a deep breath that is. Vali's laughter echoed through the room and probably the entire tower. “Sure you do”, he said. “But yeah, Tavner is kind of a big shot in Oldtown. Robert Tavner, one of Hightower's friends. Honest merchant, or so he claims. With Butterfly gone, I bet he's already balls deep in some less honest stuff”

The mention of the crimelord Kersea had told her so much about still caused Jenna notable discomfort, especially knowing that he was anything but gone, at least for the people of Raylansfair. “So, this Tavner wanted Eddard in?”, Jenna asked and Vali gave her a nod. “And Tavner is rich, he's right at Lord Hightower's ear. You don't refuse a man like him”, the young man explained. “So, he pulled a favour with Quent and Archmaester dearest was pretty much forced to send one of his best to Raylansfair”

This was something Jenna was intrigued by and she knew, Saerya would like to hear this as well. “Any idea why?”, she asked and to her surprise, Vali gave her a nod. “For that, you gotta know a bit more about Eddard”, he said. “See, he wasn't always just dour-faced Eddard, but he had a family name once. It's Forrester” He spoke in a tone that made it seem as if he expected anything to be clear now, whereas this only further confused Jenna.

Rolling his eyes, Vali jumped up. “Seven Hells, girl!”, he exclaimed, as he approached her. Without warning, he gently slammed a finger against her forehead, making Jenna stagger backwards in surprise. She shot him a glare, more out of surprise than out of anger. “Don't do that”, she complained and he grinned. “They really taught you nothing, huh?”, he replied. “House Forrester is actually from the North, but two of them, Eddard and Efram, they travelled to Oldtown decades ago and they stayed ever since. It's Efram who is of note here, Eddard's older brother. He's working for Tavner, his right-hand man if you want”

And this indeed explained a part of the puzzle. Jenna smiled, as she knew how pleased Saerya would be at this particular information. “Did you just imply this Tavner got one of his men to Raylansfair?”, she asked and Vali gave her a bright smile. “Now you're thinking”, he complimented her. “Honestly, I don't give much of a shit, but still, I hope you won't just run around, tell that to the pretty lordling or his ginger bulldog”

Jenna was quick to shake her head. “I wouldn't dare”, she promised and Vali nodded. “Good”, he said. “Very good. At least you know what's good for you” He shrugged, as he looked around the room, the crates they had carried up the stairs and into Eddard's new quarters. “And you make fine work”, he complimented her. “Very fine. I gotta thank you for that”

“Maybe you can thank me by telling my why Tavner sent one of his men here”, Jenna offered and Vali raised an eyebrow, chuckling at her suggestion. “Oh, you think I'd tell you that for carrying a couple crates for me?”, he asked, before he shook his head. “I'd tell you for free! Tavner does not concern me and while Eddard is a fine man, his brother is anything but” He gave her a cocky wink. “Nah”, he said. “I still think I should help you out as well in return” He turned to the door, before looking over his shoulder and waving his hand. “I'll think of something. Until then, Jenna Harking”

This time, she had to sit down, baffled at his shameless grin and the brazen audacity that earned him his nickname. He used the opportunity to slip down the stairs again, leaving her behind in Maester Eddard's room and only then did it sink in that his manners weren't what baffled her so much. It was the way he addressed her. Her full name, yet all she had told him was her first name...

Instantly, the surprise about his attitude was replaced, with something Jenna could best describe as distrust. Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe she let her full name slip before? Yet in Raylansfair, everyone seemed to have an agenda, a secret. If Vali was right, even Maester Eddard was only here to do something for his brother's employer. Why not this strange apprentice as well?

And yet, how should she approach this? Vali was about to leave the tower again, yet if she would hurry, she could catch up and confront him about it. If he was hiding something, maybe she could press him to reveal it. Yet, was this wise? Saerya would surely be interested in all this and perhaps she should get her input on the situation first.

[Confront Vali] [Report back to Saerya]

Jaron

“Taria is going to be so mad about this...”, Ayden mumbled, as they approached the Thousand Shades of Flowers. Jaron gave him an apologetic nod, already feeling the regret of having dragged his friend into this. And yet, whom else could he have relied upon? He needed help and Ayden was willing to provide it.

At least the spot was safe. In the fallout that had come after the death of the Burned Man and Butterfly's disappearance, Hishi had kept a major part of her forces in line. Numerous, more than ever, they were patrolling not only the building, but part of the square in front of it, replacing the city guard at least in this small area of the town. The brothel itself was a small fortress by now, ready to withstand anything short of a fullblown sack of Oldtown.

“I'm sorry”, Jaron replied and Ayden shrugged. “It's less the fact that I'm helping you, she wouldn't disapprove”, he explained. “But the brothel? I'm telling you, she's getting real moody these days. Guess who's going to sleep on the floor tonight” He grinned. “That woman can be an ass, but I love her all the same”

“Does she have a nice one at least? Ass, I mean”, John asked and Ayden gave him a nod, followed by both men exchanging a knowing grin. Jaron rolled his eyes, though his mood quickly soured as he spotted the armed men in front of the building. Particularly, he knew the man in front of it and he knew what he still owed him.

Erik Inchfield spotted him as well, crossing his arms and whispering something to the men behind him. He was wearing light armour now, similar to the rest of Hishi's private guards, standing tall and overall proud, yet the expression on his face was one of annoyance and slight anger.

“Well, well, look who's here”, Erik growled. “Came to pay me at last?” There was bitterness in his voice, yet Jaron had his own problems and couldn't care less for it. Erik had helped them, yes, but it was done out of opportunism and his demands were anything but reasonable. He tried to cash in on their despair, so Jaron's sympathy for him was rather low at this point.

“Not exactly”, Jaron replied. “I told you what happened and on top of that, you were paid” Erik shook his head. “A fraction of what we agreed on”, he growled. “Your girl promised me I'd be a rich man and I risked my life for that promise. Now? Look at me, I'm guarding a damn brothel”

“You were paid, even though you and me never made a contract”, Jaron replied. “If you have a problem with that, Harpy is the one you should talk to” Erik raised an eyebrow. “You mean the girl that's half a world from her, on her way to be sold to some yunkish prick?”, he snapped. “Yeah, that sounds like a perfectly fine idea”

He was going to say something more, obviously even more heated, but John stepped between the two. Taller than Erik, he glared down at him, with a single, stern eye. “That's quite enough”, he said calmly. “Me and my boys, we seek to have a good time, alright. We bring good coin for that and are not out for trouble”

Erik sighed, though he quickly backed down. “Fine”, he said. “But you'll leave your weapons at the door” John smiled at this and allowed another guard to search him, removing a broad sword and a small dagger. Temari did the same, though with a glare on his face. While Ayden did not carry any weapon to begin with, Erik looked at Jaron, who already handed him his sword.

“One day, bastard”, he snarled. “We had a deal and if your girl isn't here to keep her part, I'll hold you responsible” With these, he took Jaron's sword, though he reached around him, patting his back and heavily squeezing his arms, particularly the one that was just barely healed. Jaron grimaced at this and finally, Erik let him go. “Make trouble”, he adviced him. “I'm just waiting for a reason”

With this, the four men entered the building. The Thousand Shades of Flowers was just as lavish as Jaron remembered it, even if the comparably early hour of the day meant that way less customers were present. It was hard to believe that this, of all places, was where Samuel Harrington could be found and yet, Ayden's contacts had left him with no doubts.

The man that approached them was another whom Jaron remembered all too well and unlike Erik, he had a smile on his face, mostly because it was expected of him. With a thin moustache and dark skin, Joshawa's white teeth served as a clear contrast. “Ah, a returning customer”, he spoke, with a wink. “And I see you have brought friends”

Jaron took a step towards him, giving him a nod. “Greetings, Joshawa”, he said. “I hope we are welcome here” Joshawa was quick to confirm this. “Oh, absolutely”, he promised. “After all, we have made good progress with the information your friend has given us” He gave him a wink. “Hishi is pleased. As such, we are willing to overlook the... unfortunate events of your last visit”

“That's why we are here”, he spoke. “My... friend. Samuel Harrington. Have you seen him?” Joshawa raised an eyebrow, his grin widening. “Ah, the knight is interested in a little trade”, he said. “I mean, you don't expect me to share such an indiscretion, do you? You have brought friends with you, means you might be out for trouble”

Jaron shook his head. “I want to make him an offer”, he said. “I need his help” Joshawa shrugged. “There is little reason to believe you on that”, he answered. “Though to be fair, neither is there reason to distrust you. We at the Thousand Shades of Flowers value the secrets of our customers, so I expect a good offer from your side”

“How much?”, John growled and Joshawa chuckled in an affected way. “Oh, aren't you quaint!”, he exclaimed. “Handsome, the question is not how much, but what” He looked back at Jaron. “So, what shall it be? What could be valuable enough for Hishi that I feel compelled to tell you where to find our dear Fang of Shadows?”

Jaron sighed. “I can tell you something about the Solvers”, he offered and Joshawa shook his head. “Sweet Samuel told us everything we want to know”, he declined. “From the true identity of their leader all the way to the last remnants of his men in the city. Surely you noticed that being a former Solver has become a very dangerous thing lately, with the Thorns unleashed on them”

“So, you are taking revenge on them?”, Jaron asked and unashamedly, Joshawa gave him a nod. “Keira was a friend to us all”, he said and for the first time, his smile faded. A steely gaze was in his eye, though his voice did not drop the affable tone, making for an unsettling combination. “Her death is not yet avenged, not as long as a single Solver lives on”, he spoke. “We might never get to the man on top, or the masked kitty that did the deed, but Hishi's rage is something to behold and the Solvers at the bottom are the first to taste it”

With these words, he took a step closer. “And your role in this is admirable”, he complimented him. “Samuel was impressed by you, told us you have been the final straw for him to defect. If not for that, we would have never gotten into this position”

Jaron gulped. “I'm honoured”, he pressed through clenched teeth, even if his role in this all was something he could never look back at with pride. Lanford had told him to leave and that's what Jaron intended. Leave Oldtown, save Harpy and then go somewhere with her, where they could live in peace. It was a dream for him, one that seemed farther away than ever, even if the help John and Temari offered was very welcome.

“Now, we don't need further information about the Solvers”, Joshawa spoke, his smile returning, as did his generally jovial attitude. “Hishi believes we know enough about them. If Butterfly's former right-hand man can't give us the information, then what could you tell us?” He shook his head. “No, we know enough to make them bleed for ever touching one of our little flowers”

“Then what do you want?”, Jaron asked. “You know that is all I can give you” He frowned. “All of worth, at least” Joshawa quickly shook his head. “Oh, far from it”, he said. “Ser Bastard, if you think I'm just wasting your time, you are sorely mistaken” He put a hand onto his shoulder in an affectionate way, looking him deep in the eye.

“We know where they are taking your girl”, he said and Jaron gulped. “Yunkai”, he replied and Joshawa smiled. “Splendid, then you know the direction”, he exclaimed. “See, I will tell you what you need to know and on top of that, I will tell you something that will convince your Fang to help you out for sure”

“And what might that be?”, Jaron asked and Joshawa sighed. “I don't like to spoil the fun”, he said. “But if you have to know it, it's the location of Ryder Harrington” Jaron's eyes widened. “You know where he is?”, he spat and Joshawa removed the hand from his shoulder. “Oh, you insult Hishi's reach”, he said slyly. “Lovely folk from here to Qarth report to us and Ryder is a priority target”

“What do you want from Ryder?”, Jaron asked, remembering the brutal beatdown he had suffered from the man, remembering how Samuel had gotten it even worse from his own brother, the man that murdered his entire family. “It's easy”, Joshawa said. “Hishi demands his death. Ryder has been deep in Mullendore's inner circle and we refuse to believe that he isn't complicit in his deeds”

A bad feeling engulfed Jaron. “If you tell me where he is...”, he started and Joshawa ended the sentence for him. “We expect you to kill him. See, Hishi has doubts that Samuel on his own will make it. He failed once, he will fail again. But with such formidable support... well, it's a small detour and it's all we ask for. Not only will I personally lead you to Samuel here in our establishment, but I will also give you a crucial piece of information to convince him”

“I'm not a hired killer”, Jaron mumbled and Joshawa's smile grew thinner. “Principles”, he said dryly. “I thought this city has beaten them out of you by now” He shrugged. “Of course, you don't have to promise me anything. But in return, I don't have to give you anything. The choice is all yours. And perhaps it'll help if you see it less as a hired kill. You will help us bring a dangerous man to justice, a murderer, one who, if left alone, will do worse than that” He gave him a wink. “What do you say, you wonderful bastard, you?”

[Agree to kill Ryder] [Decline to kill Ryder]

• edited October 2017

[Report back to Saerya] Searya always knows the answer.

[Agree to kill Ryder] Oh Joshawa, you are such a sweet talker, maybe some salting wouldn't be bad for you, Quent is not that far after all. But yeah, we need to do this to get what we wan't, and I want Ryder dead, so it makes sense to agree.

• [Report back to Saerya]
    [Agree to kill Ryder]
    Saltmouth seems like a very interesting character!

Jenna She groaned under the heavy weight, as she carried the crate up the stairs, even though Vali was carrying twice the amount without

• Woooaw. I really love how you portaits Eddard. And I like the mentions of my boys as well. Really awesome.

[Confront Vali]

[Agree to kill Ryder]

Jenna She groaned under the heavy weight, as she carried the crate up the stairs, even though Vali was carrying twice the amount without

• edited October 2017

[Report back to Saerya] I don't think if we confront him he would tell the truth, and Saerya will find that information useful, although I'm not sure how will that aid the Targaryen's moving eastwards.

Robert Tavner, must be related to Aryana Tavner, the castellan of Degore's Cliff, that gives some pretty uneasy possibilities as to why two former Northern (albeit minor) noblemen, would get involved with a man like him.

[Agree to kill Ryder] While I doubt Jaron has the skills to kill Ryder, is better if they capture him, and then let someone else kill him.

• Robert Tavner, must be related to Aryana Tavner, the castellan of Degore's Cliff, that gives some pretty uneasy possibilities as to why two former Northern (albeit minor) noblemen, would get involved with a man like him.

You are right, Robert and Aryana do have some sort of a family relation to each other. Given that there is also a relation to House Forrester (who are House Degore's liege lords), it seems possible that Aryana has gotten her position through this connection. We'll meet Robert and also the mentioned Efram, older brother of Eddard and younger brother of Lord Esbern Forrester, at some point in Book 2, probably making some things clearer about the exact relationship between House Forrester and the Tavner family.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Report back to Saerya] I don't think if we confront him he would tell the truth, and Saerya will find that information useful, although I'm

• edited October 2017

[Report back to Saerya] I really liked this part, Vali is certainly a very entertaining character, if a bit fishy as well =) This part also made me much more intrigued about the new maester, and whatever this Robert Tavner has in mind. Anyway, as for the choice, I'd say it's a much smarter move to go straight to Saerya with this new information. Saltmouth is good with words, so I feel like confronting him would only reveal Jenna's cards to him without bringing any further information.

[Agree to kill Ryder] Ahh, I hate it when you make me choose dishonorable options with Jaron :D However, I feel like Samuel's help would be much needed, and also could make this storyline all the more exciting. Seeing how far Hishi's influence goes though, I fear this is a promise we have to keep. Anyway, seems like the tables have turned in Oldtown's underworld, with Solvers being hunted down and the Thorns being the top dogs now. Hmm, I'll be following with great interest how the situation develops throughout Book 2.

[Agree to kill Ryder]

RT:
    1)It seems that Saltmouth really deserve his nickname!I still don't know if he know all the stuff that he said to Jenna because he is a smart kid or someone really trust him to mantain the secret (that seems to be a really bad choice)
    2)Speaking of what we learn in this Jenna part it seems that this Robert Tavner take the place of Mullendore as "member of a Noble house that work under House Hightower for his own benefits"
    3)So Eddard is a member of House Forrester eh?I'm curious to read what you plan with the members of that family and why Tavner chose to send him to Raylainsfair
    4)Meanwhile at Oldtown Jaron force Ayden off screen to help him found where Samuel is
    5)I'm happy to see that Erik finally forgive Jaron for the lie that Harpy made!
    6)It seems that The Thousand Shades of Flowers has become more powerful after the timeskip
    7)Joshawa really like the sound of his voice! And it seems that he has everything that Jaron and co. need (how obtain the new party member and where the prisoners are)!
    8)It is funny that each of the two last parts feature news about the Oldtown situation obtain by two really talkative people!

[Agree to kill Ryder] It's my hope that saying you'll kill Ryder and actually killing Ryder are two different choices. Fact is there's no other visible way to get the info we need aside from telling Joshawa what he wants to hear.

I really like Vali! Or Saltmouth. He's got a certain charm to him, though were a couple times where he was pretty rude to Jenna. It was amusing when he poked her forehead though.

• [Confront Vali] We gotta catch him while he is still in our grasps. I doubt there will be a better chance than this to get to him, seeing how he is going to be preoccupied helping Eddard out with their maester stuff. I really liked Saltmouth this part! Oh boy was he entertaining. And that surprise at the end, oh boy, he must have some sort of secret knowledge on him if he knows about a unimportant person, at least on paper, like Jenna. I wonder what two Forresters are doing in Oldtown, and why they are working with the morally dubious Tavner. That along with Aryana and Degore on their hunt for their kid leads me to believe that one of their first stops is going to be in Oldtown. Poor ol Eaton getting replaced with nothing to remember him by. He was too good for this world, and now Quent is sending his least favorite blue haired apprentice to go replace him, funny how things work out.

[Decline to kill Ryder] Gotta uphold Jaron's morals, or else the whole Yunkai Bros trip is going to be a morally ambiguous party Jaron has to retain to at least some of his knightly morals that made him such a noticeable character in the piss hole named Oldtown. Ayden is hitting up the club with the boys, and boy is the wifey going to be upset. I hope we get a happy storyline in Oldtown, where all the families are having the occasional book club meeting to discuss the social issues afflicting their town, and Ayden is there thinking,"Shit, I think I actually miss the criminal life." as the parents drone on and on about Hightower's latest clothing choice at his last ball, and where to get the best milk in the market.

• [Confront Vali]

[Decline to kill Ryder]

• [Report Back to Saerya]
    [Agree to kill Ryder]

• @WildlingKing

I really liked this part, Vali is certainly a very entertaining character, if a bit fishy as well =) This part also made me much more intrigued about the new maester, and whatever this Robert Tavner has in mind.

Ah, glad to hear you like Vali! He and Eddard are quite interesting characters, each with their own goals in Raylansfair. Just how deep Eddard is involved with Tavner remains to be seen, but his brother is very closely involved with that man, so if Vali is right, there is yet another faction with some interest in the events happening in this city. And given how close Eddard is guaranteed to be to Petyr's dealings, this means he will be in the best position possible to get his agenda through.

Ahh, I hate it when you make me choose dishonorable options with Jaron :D However, I feel like Samuel's help would be much needed, and also could make this storyline all the more exciting.

Muahaha, yes, pick the dishonourable option >:) But yeah, this one goes to show that Jaron has developed quite a bit since his beginnings, because his protest would have been decidedly more vehement if Joshawa would have given him such an offer in the beginning. That being said, he has gotten more pragmatic in general, so if this choice gets picked, Jaron will also reason it with him needing Samuel's help. Not that this choice will be necessarily a bad thing. Considering that his only allies so far are two men he barely knows, nor fully trusts (even if you obviously know that John and Temari can be trusted to stick by Jaron's side as long as they have the same goal), having someone by his side whom he does indeed somewhat trust would be a big thing for him in terms of confidence for the very dangerous journey to come.

Seeing how far Hishi's influence goes though, I fear this is a promise we have to keep. Anyway, seems like the tables have turned in Oldtown's underworld, with Solvers being hunted down and the Thorns being the top dogs now. Hmm, I'll be following with great interest how the situation develops throughout Book 2.

That is indeed an important thing to notice here, the tables have turned quite massively. Hishi kept a low profile, knowing how dangerous the Solvers were during Butterfly's times, but with them gone, there's nothing standing in the way. The Thorns are more influential than ever, but most importantly is, Hishi has no ambitions to become a crimelord as the Burned Man has been. There's still a big power vacuum waiting to implode and the only ones that are surely losing in whatever is going to come are those Solvers that were deemed too unimportant (or dangerous) to accompany Mullendore to Raylansfair. It's ironic and definitely not undeserved that they are the ones at the bottom of the food chain now.

[Report back to Saerya] I really liked this part, Vali is certainly a very entertaining character, if a bit fishy as well This part also ma

• @The_not_chosen_one

1)It seems that Saltmouth really deserve his nickname!I still don't know if he know all the stuff that he said to Jenna because he is a smart kid or someone really trust him to mantain the secret (that seems to be a really bad choice)

Oh yes, his nickname is as odd as it is fitting. He can be really fast-talking at times, so it is definitely not the brightest idea to trust him with a secret, though at the same time, he is not stupid. He's actually very accomplished at the Citadel and could make for a highly capable Maester, it's just his attitude that is holding him back, so you can expect him to not make any mistakes out of sheer stupidity.

2)Speaking of what we learn in this Jenna part it seems that this Robert Tavner take the place of Mullendore as "member of a Noble house that work under House Hightower for his own benefits"

Quite probably, yeah, with Mullendore gone, Tavner sees a chance to make his own move. That being said, their goals could not be more different and Tavner is also not technically a nobleman, merely a very rich commoner. He has always been by Hightower's side, but very much kept in the background while the Burned Man and Butterfly tore each other apart.

3)So Eddard is a member of House Forrester eh?I'm curious to read what you plan with the members of that family and why Tavner chose to send him to Raylainsfair

Eddard is indeed a Forrester, yes. There's a couple of them at this point, with Lord Esbern Forrester having previously been mentioned by Harald Degore in Torrhen's Interlude. Eddard and his brother Efram however live in Oldtown and have done so for many years. With Aryana Tavner being in the North though, it is not unthinkable to assume that the main branch of House Forrester is in some capacity involved with Tavner's schemes as well.

4)Meanwhile at Oldtown Jaron force Ayden off screen to help him found where Samuel is

It was less forcing him and more just asking. Ayden was more than happy to help and I thought this wasn't such an interesting scene, so I cut right to the important stuff here. If Ayden would have refused to help, Jaron would have never forced him, but as long as no dangerous work is involved, that guy is always willing to help.

5)I'm happy to see that Erik finally forgive Jaron for the lie that Harpy made!

It actually was not a lie, this is important to note. Harpy had every intention of fully paying Erik what he was promised, even if it was a grossly oversized sum (I mean, sure, he risked his life, but he asked for the Westerosi equivalent of a billion dollars), because she really was in such a desperate situation. And it is likely she would have paid him at least somewhat handsomely even without access to the Burned Man's full riches, if not for her unfortunate predicament. Holding Jaron accountable for a promise his girlfriend made might not be all that fair from Erik, especially as he knows how unreasonable his demands are.

6)It seems that The Thousand Shades of Flowers has become more powerful after the timeskip

At least at the moment, it appears they are among the victors of the power shuffle in Oldtown. Hishi kept in the background, just like Tavner and others did and now they can all make their moves. If this will lead to a lasting change in Oldtown, or if this power is temporary before a new violent stalemate is created by the new factions, this remains to be seen.

7)Joshawa really like the sound of his voice! And it seems that he has everything that Jaron and co. need (how obtain the new party member and where the prisoners are)!

Haha, he surely does :D He's not only a smooth talker, he also knows he's in a position of power here and has been told by Hishi to absolutely use this to his full potential. Holding all the cards, he can afford being a little cocky about it all.

8)It is funny that each of the two last parts feature news about the Oldtown situation obtain by two really talkative people!

That was a connection I have not expected, but you are right, there are some surface level similarities between Saltmouth and Joshawa, particularly in how chatty they are. I must admit, neither was it intended to feature two big news about the current situation in Oldtown in this one part, but I like the unexpected similarities it holds :)

[Report back to Saerya] [Agree to kill Ryder] RT: 1)It seems that Saltmouth really deserve his nickname!I still don't know if he know a

• @AgentZ46

It's my hope that saying you'll kill Ryder and actually killing Ryder are two different choices. Fact is there's no other visible way to get the info we need aside from telling Joshawa what he wants to hear.

I can confirm, they are absolutely not the same choice. If Jaron picks this option, he will voice a general willingness to kill Ryder, though for what reason remains to be seen, if it is simple pragmatism, or if it is him genuinely believing that Ryder is too dangerous to be left alone, or has done so many terrible things that he has to be brought to justice (keep in minds, that man's crimes warrant a death sentence in every single society in the Ice and Fire world). However, if he is able to go through with it remains to be seen. It can be that he never even gets the chance, given how Ryder wiped the floor with him the first time. It can be that Ryder leaves him no choice, or maybe it can be that, given the choice and a moment to reflect, Jaron finds himself unable to do it. This choice alone will not decide Ryder's fate, nor will it decide Jaron's opinion on the whole situation, which will remain a complex thing, shaped by your future choices and his own experiences. If you are so inclined, I can reveal that it definitely remains an option that he only picks this choice to please Joshawa and get valuable help for his true goal, with no intention of sticking to his end of the bargain.

I really like Vali! Or Saltmouth. He's got a certain charm to him, though were a couple times where he was pretty rude to Jenna. It was amusing when he poked her forehead though.

Ah, I am always glad to hear it when a new character is well-liked :) Vali is one of the new characters I really look forward to feature a bit more prominently. Rude he might be and it is the reason he earned his nickname, but he can also be charming and is definitely not a dumb guy, despite occasional moments of him being a bit of a jerk.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Report back to Saerya] [Agree to kill Ryder] It's my hope that saying you'll kill Ryder and actually killing Ryder are two different cho

Sign in to comment in this discussion.