Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• edited April 2018

Kersea

His voice was as real as his smug grin, at least for a moment. “Hello, my darling”, he whispered into her ear and with a yelp, Kersea spun around. But Clayton wasn't there. It was Alysanne, lying on the ground, in a pool of her own blood, her lifeless eyes staring right at her, accusation in her final expression. “You failed her”, Clayton whispered again and Kersea tensed up at the chilling sound of his voice. “If you have to blame anyone for her death, blame yourself”

She was standing in the lighthouse, but unlike the real one back when it happened, it was burning this time. A nightmare, she knew it was a nightmare, but that didn't make it any less real. Smoke clouded her view and red, hot flames sought to consume her flesh. She clearly saw Alysanne though.

Feeling his hand on her shoulder, softly moving through her hair, she shivered with disgust. “Leave me alone”, she hissed and he chuckled. “But you are alone”, he replied. “You chose to be alone, you chose her death” Kersea closed her eyes, unable to stare at Aylsanne's corpse any longer, though she still felt this dead glare.

As she turned around, things didn't go any better. Clayton was standing there, more a corpse than a living man. His arm was missing, his face was pale and hollow and warped with pure hatred. He was as monstrous as he always acted and now he even looked the part. “All you had to do was to act as you were ordered to”, he growled. “You did not, out of pettiness, out of selfishness. She died for it. Your sister could have died for it” His bloodless lips formed a cruel smirk. “Was it worth it?”

Kersea narrowed her eyes, though her breath came faster by now. “You are dead”, she replied and Clayton tilted his head. “Are you certain about this?”, he asked and she gulped. “You don't matter anymore”, she claimed and he chuckled softly. “You lie to yourself, darling”, he whispered. “I will always be a part of your life”

All of a sudden, someone grabbed her ankle and as she jumped around, Alysanne's broken stare hit her. Blood, her own blood, stained her teeth and in her eyes was a hatred Kersea had never seen, not when she looked at her. “Was it worth it?”, she shrieked.

It wasn't exactly a scream with which Kersea awoke from her nightmare, more a whimper, but still loud enough to wake Leonard up as well. With a groan, the knight turned around, glancing at her through the embers of the campfire they had settled around. Away from the road, he had found a good place in the woods for them, dry and offering relative shelter from the cold. Nonetheless, her bones aches from several nights out in the cold and she could only imagine things were similar with him.

“Some of us try to sleep”, he mumbled, his voice blurry from just waking up. She sighed. “Sorry”, she replied and he blinked, as he glanced at her. “Have you seen anything?”, he asked and she gulped, as he raised an eyebrow. “You look like you've seen something”

Finally, she shook her head. “Just a bad dream”, she admitted. Leonard sighed, as he began rubbing the sleep from his eyes. “Well, thanks for wasting my time then”, he mumbled, his voice slowly becoming more steady as he fully woke up.

Kersea frowned, as she glanced up, through the trees above. They were starting to shed their leaves and as such, she could clearly see the red light of an early morning. “It's late enough either way”, she replied. “We should get moving”

Leonard groaned again. “Sure, at least you have gotten a full night of sleep”, he complained. “Try sleeping close to someone like you” Kersea raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”, she asked, as Leonard slowly rose from his bedroll. “I mean you're talking in your sleep”, he revealed.

Kersea tensed up, as she began to pack her bedroll back into the backpack she had retrieved from Richard's home. Just thinking of the farmer pained her. Another one who died for her. Even Leonard was shaken, she had spent enough time around grieving people to spot the signs even though he tried to hide it. “What did you hear?”, she asked.

“You talking”, he replied, as he sluggishly stood up. “Not what I want to hear when I try to sleep” Kersea rolled her eyes, though she swallowed the reply and her anger, as a look of genuine curiosity appeared on Leonard's face. “Who is Alysanne?”, he asked.

Kersea gulped, before she shook her head. “A... friend”, she muttered and Leonard tilted his head. “Don't want to talk about it, huh?”, he asked and she instantly nodded. “Yeah”, she confirmed. “Not with you, at least. She's dead, that's all you have to know”

“Be my guest then”, Leonard said, as he rose from the ground, having finished putting his bedroll into the backpack. “It's not like we have to talk. But when your mumbling keeps me up at night, maybe it should at least keep me up during the day as well” He let out a long yawn and Kersea felt compelled to do the same. “Seriously though, I'm exhausted”

“Same”, Kersea admitted. “We're running from a threat we don't even know exists” Leonard narrowed his eyes. “We talked about this”, he spoke sternly. “You have worked for the man, but I know him better than you. He will send someone after us, someone who gets the job done”

Kersea sighed, as they both started walking back to the street. Though trying to avoid the road in proper, they'd walk alongside it, follow it until they'd reach Oldtown. “Yeah, you're very certain about this”, she replied sharply. “I for one would love to spend a night in an actual bed for once”

Leonard chuckled at her words. “At times, we agree on something”, he replied. “But this is too risky. Could you find any rest in a tavern?” Kersea shook her head. “Probably not”, she admitted. “If... Mullendore is as petty as you claim him to be, I could see him trying to hunt us down”

“And it won't be much of a stretch to realize where we'd go to”, Leonard continued. “He has left a lot of dirt in Oldtown. It's where everything started and it's where we'll begin to end him” Kersea groaned. “Poetically said”, she stated in a dry, flat tone. Leonard grimaced. “Don't mock me”, he snarled.

Kersea smirked thinly, though the expression faded as quick as it came. “I wouldn't dare”, she promised, to which Leonard took a deep breath. “There was one thing I wanted to talk about”, he remarked, as she spotted the road through the trees to her right. “Once we're in Oldtown, what do we do then? Just approach Quent?”

“I heard that's not much of an option after how you two parted”, Kersea replied and Leonard clenched his fists. “I really don't like you”, he growled. “We do this for Richard” Instantly, Kersea felt a lump in her throat. “For Richard”, she confirmed and Leonard nodded. “It's the only reason we two stick together”

“The only one”, she agreed. Leonard gave her a crooked smirk. “Glad we agree on that one”, he spoke. “But we have to work together if we want to succeed there. This beast has taken too much and we mustn't fail”

Kersea nodded again. “You don't have to tell me”, she spoke. “I... have to do this” Leonard's mocking smirk faded. “And I actually understand it”, he replied. “After what you've done, forced maybe, but after what you've done, if I'd be in your situation” He cut himself off and gave her an almost apologetic look. Almost.

“You couldn't look your family in the eye either, eh?”, Kersea completed the sentence for him and Leonard sighed. “They probably want nothing to do with me by now”, he spoke. “We've always had some tensions, they never liked my way of life. Always on the road, serving several lords, being unmarried at my age”

He glanced at her and rolled his eyes. “Why am I telling you?”, he asked. “Not as if you care” Kersea, who had actually listened closely, sighed. “Right”, she mumbled and both continued silently, at least for a while. After a few short minutes, Leonard spoke up. “We haven't talked about it yet though”, he told her. “What we're going to do in Oldtown, I mean”

“There is one who might be able to help”, she spoke. “Alysanne had an... acquaintance in the city” Leonard raised an eyebrow. “Like the madmen you used to run with?”, he asked and she narrowed her eyes. “An honest merchant”, she claimed, to which Leonard chuckled. “As if”, he replied and she sighed. “Also a not so honest merchant”, she admitted. “But a merchant nonetheless. His name is Vitihho and he might be willing to help out a friend of Alysanne”

“Loyalty among your kind?”, Leonard asked and Kersea clenched her fists. “Okay, this has to stop”, she growled. “Belittling me, antagonizing me. You say we have to work together, then fucking act like it! How are we supposed to work together if you keep doing that?”

“That's what most people love about me”, Leonard claimed. “Besides, its not as if you haven't given me a reason. Remember when you lied to me and then tried to hide your past? After what you've done. Harris, Corbin, Halla, I might not have liked them, but I damn well respected them”

Kersea frowned. “I know I fucked up”, she admitted. “But I'm trying to make up for it” Leonard gave her a nod. “And when you did it, I'll be the first to praise you”, he claimed. “But don't expect me to go easy on you because you feel all awful about what you've done. You damn well should feel terrible”

“And you gotta make sure I do”, Kersea remarked, to which Leonard unashamedly gave her a nod. Not that she could blame him. She'd like to know how it was, his situation, but if she'd be in it, she'd imagine she'd act the same. Didn't really make it any less frustrating for her.

“So, this Vitihho, ever met him?”, Leonard asked. “I want to know what I have to deal with” Kersea shrugged. “Met him once or twice, but he was one of the few people Alysanne would speak about. I'd say that means they were close. To me, he seemed alright. Nothing too unusual, not the type I'd imagine to be acquainted with people like Clayton and Alysanne”

“I'll prepare for the worst then”, Leonard remarked. “And how can one merchant help us out with the Archmaester of History?” Kersea shrugged again. “Vitihho can offer us shelter. He's used to hide people, so he can keep us safe from any man Mullendore would send after us. Quent... well, he's your problem”

To her surprise Leonard gave her a nod. “I admit, I might have been a bit rash with that man”, he gave in. “Not trusting him could have been a mistake” Kersea raised an eyebrow. “You admit a mistake?”, she asked and he rolled his eyes, though his look of annoyance was replaced by something Kersea knew only too well. It was guilt. “My greatest one”, he told her. “It could have been prevented, she could have survived, maybe even Flowers”

“She?”, Kersea asked and a look of pure pain appeared on Leonard's face. She took no pleasure in seeing him like this. His opinion on her aside, she had no grudge against him. If that would have been the case, she would regret saving his life, which is perhaps one of the few things she had done in the past years which she was proud of.

“Lunett Kawl”, he revealed and his expression became a gloomy one. At the same time, his sigh was one of relief, as if he had kept silent about this for too long. “Flowers blamed himself, but truth be told, I was the one who talked him into this. I, with my... stupidity, my mistrust, my temper” He looked at her and his stare was a lost one. “Lunett was innocent. She was pure and sweet and she died because I was too stupid to safe her”

“Why did you not trust Quent?”, Kersea asked. By now, she felt downright uncomfortable at Leonard getting so sentimental. He could snap at her all he wanted, at least it meant he wasn't feeling like he felt right now. That here was not a Leonard she had gotten to know before.

“He insulted me”, Leonard revealed. “He belittled me and Flowers and I thought he'd be out enemy for that. I thought he'd scheme against us” Kearsea raised an eyebrow. “Was he?”, she asked and he shook his head. “I was just angry at Quent, I felt humiliated and I didn't even stop to think that maybe he was a useful arse”

“So, Quent is basically like you?”, Kersea asked and Leonard glanced at her. Blinking the small tears that had formed in his eyes away, a small smile of disbelief appeared on his face. “You're terrible, you know that?” Kersea nodded. “You told me a couple times”, she replied.

And just like that, this crying, self-pitying Leonard who was less than dignified and made her uncomfortable was gone. Probably a good thing, come to think of it. His smile was small, not all that genuine, but at least he wasn't about to cry. Seven have mercy, she did not want to see that. He was an arse, but he was strong and he never gave up and she wasn't so sure she could claim the same about her. Perhaps that's what she needed him for.

“Quent is going to help us”, Leonard stated. “If not by his own free will, then we're going to make him” A look of curiosity appeared on his face. “I mean, I suppose you have learned a couple tricks while you were working for these people, right?”

Kersea frowned, before she gave him a nod. “I'd like not to use them”, she admitted and Leonard shrugged. “We don't always get what we want”, he replied coldly. “But fine, if there's a way around, maybe we can convince Quent” He bit down onto his lower lip. “Maybe you can, I mean. He probably won't even talk to me”

“I can certainly try”, Kersea brought up. “Though what can you tell me about Quent? I mean, aside from the fact that he is kinda like you” Leonard flashed her a cold grin. “He's prideful”, he spoke. “Acts like he knows it all and well, he probably does know a lot. Arrogant and irritating and...” He noticed her smirk. “What?”, he barked.

Kersea suppressed a chuckle. “Ah, nothing”, she said. “Though he is one to look out for then. I... should warn you, I'm not the best at talking to people” Leonard sighed. “I'm certainly surprised”, he spoke in a mocking tone. “How did you even get through the past couple of years”

“Sometimes I have to wonder myself”, Kersea admitted. “Though Clayton did a lot of the talking. He was good at it, if he wanted to” Leonard shared her dour frown. “Do you think he'll be a problem?”, he said. “You don't know if he's dead after all”

Kersea thought back, at Clayton in the tower. Bleeding, crippled, exhausted. Yet there was something so cunning and evil in his single eye as he had pushed his sword into her waist. “I don't know”, she admitted. “He's not one to take lightly. The worst man I've ever man and he's petty and he never gives up on a grudge”

“I suppose he has quite a grudge on you”, Leonard remarked, to which she nodded with a grim expression on her face. “If he is still alive, he'll come back one day. But he is my problem. You don't have to deal with him” To this, Leonard tilted his head. “If he becomes a threat to our task in Oldtown, I'll show you how to properly deal with him”

“Did you just offer to help me?”, Kersea asked and Leonard quickly looked away. “No”, he stated firmly. “Just if he gets in the way. If he gets you once we're done, see if I care” She grinned thinly. “Charming”, she remarked in a flat tone.

All of a sudden, she noticed a shift in Leonard's mood again. He narrowed his eyes, looking ahead and she raised her eyebrows. “What is it?”, she asked and he sighed. “This is where it started”, he explained and pointed at a building in the distance. It was a building by the roadside, two stories high, built out of wood, with a large barn next to it. A roadside tavern, as she presumed, an abandoned one at that. The windows were smashed, the back door pushed out of its hinges.

“I knew we'd pass by. Thought we could try and look for supplies” She noticed that he clenched his fists. “I just didn't know it would be that hard” He gulped audibly. “The Hammered Harp Inn”, he explained to her. “Aylard Kawl's old tavern. This is where we met Lunett. If we wouldn't have stopped there, if we... ah, if we would have been smarter than to take the girl...”

Kersea pressed her lips together. Awkwardly, she raised a hand, putting it onto Leonard's back. He tensed up almost immediately, though he quickly relaxed again under her touch. “You couldn't have known better”, she assured him and he shook his head. “I should have”, he spoke. “I've seen it before. A naïve girl in Oldtown, what couldn't have gone wrong? I left the choice to Flowers and I'll regret it for the rest of my life”

“I can tell you a thing or two about living with regret”, Kersea spoke, but Leonard shook his head. “And I don't want to hear it”, he growled without even looking at her. With fury in his stride, he approached the building. “Let's see if we find anything. Food, water, hell, blankets. All the stuff we had to leave at the farm”

She followed him and had to fasten her pace to keep up. Crossing the street gave her a nervous feeling. She knew, with their speed from the last days, it was unlikely anyone would catch up to them by foot, but if someone was after them, they'd likely be on horseback. Perhaps staying off the road as often as possible meant a possible persecutor would have passed them by now, but it still made her uneasy to stare down at the road to Raylansfair.

As they came closer however, Kersea noticed something else. Quickly, she hurried up and grabbed Leonard by the forearm, pulling him back. He threw her a glare, though calmed as he saw her alarmed look. “Get to the underbrush”, she hissed and he followed her advice. Together, they hurried to the trees, where they crouched down, looking at the abandoned tavern.

“It's not empty”, she whispered and he raised an eyebrow. “How many?”, he asked and she rolled her eyes. “I'm not a clairvoyant”, she hissed. “But listen carefully” He was quiet after this and together, they heard the muffled voices. At least two people were talking to each other, but she couldn't hear if there were additional occupants in the building, or what they were talking about.

“Mullendore's men?”, she asked and Leonard shook his head. “No horses”, he growled. “They can't catch up without horses” He put a hand onto the hilt of his swords. “Samantha mentioned a problem with bandits in the area, though many of them died during the raid. Could be remnants. Or maybe brigands, deserters. Whom else would seek shelter in an old tavern?”

“Harmless travellers”, Kersea brought up and Leonard smirked. “Yeah, sure”, he hissed. “Listen, we have to check this place out. We're running critically low on supplies already and the last thing I want to do is to starve in the heart of the Reach. If anyone catches up to us, we have to be ready for a fight, not exhausted and malnourished”

“So, what do you suggest?”, Kersea asked. Leonard did not reply at first. Carefully, he glanced from the unhinged back door to the sturdy front door. “If we cross the road again, they'll see us”, he spoke. “And if there's any supplies left, we need them” He glanced at her. “Get those knives of yours ready, we're going in”

Kersea gulped. “What, through the front?”, she asked and Leonard gave her a nod. “A direct approach”, he spoke. “If those are really just travellers, we won't catch them off guard, we won't startle them and won't appear suspicious ourselves. Maybe we can negotiate something. And if they mean trouble, we can still fight”

“We should”, she started, though Leonard cut her off. “No, we should not”, he growled. “I'm sorry, but you're not the one in charge here” With this, he rose from the ground and began to approach the building. Though he had a point, Kersea had to suppress a curse at his stubbornness.

For a moment, she contemplated following him. If he'd get into trouble, maybe it would be better to face it together. At the same time, the back door was still there. She could sneak in, flank whomever was in there if they were an enemy. Leonard wouldn't like that, but he was not in charge of her. Though would it be worth the risk?

[Follow Leonard through the front] [Sneak in through the back]

• [Follow Leonard through the front]

1) It’s Leonard, what more do you want me to say?
    2) what could possibly go wrong?

Kersea His voice was as real as his smug grin, at least for a moment. “Hello, my darling”, he whispered into her ear and with a yelp, Ker

• edited February 2018

1) It’s Leonard, what more do you want me to say?

For starters, a three pages long ballad about the glory that is Leonard would suffice. If you want to take advanced courses on what to say about Leonard, I sell a full encyclopedia on this very complex and fascinating topic. I'll let you have it for 29.99 per page, but it's cutting me own throat.

2) what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. I'm absolutely certain nothing could ever go wrong with Leonard's approach, just as nothing ever went wrong with his approach in the past.

[Follow Leonard through the front] 1) It’s Leonard, what more do you want me to say? 2) what could possibly go wrong?

• [Sneak in through the back] Better he has back up were her skills are useful.

Kersea His voice was as real as his smug grin, at least for a moment. “Hello, my darling”, he whispered into her ear and with a yelp, Ker

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited February 2018

[Follow Leonard through the front] Leonard is always right, must obey.

I like just having two people talk. Might not that action-packed or stuff like that but it's interesting.

The Hammered Harp! Oh what memories! What kind of rapscallions could be there now. Could be dozens of people just being quiet with only two people talking. Could be Dimitri the Wise, returned at last.

It's very sad to see Leonard so depressed. Suffering in silence. Poor bastard. Also noted his reluctance to speak about his past. I am curious to see if he will open up or be the, well, normal Leonard. Sarcastic, kind of jerkish, yada yada yada.

Also Quent. Wonder what that bloke is up to.

His voice was as real as his smug grin, at least for a moment. “Hello, my darling”, he whispered into her ear and with a yelp, Kersea spun around. But Clayton wasn't there. It was Alysanne, lying on the ground, in a pool of her own blood, her lifeless eyes staring right at her, accusation in her final expression. “You failed her”, Clayton whispered again and Kersea tensed up at the chilling sound of his voice. “If you have to blame anyone for her death, blame yourself”

Heheheheheh nightmares are for suckers. Keep blaming yourself Kersea.

Leonard groaned again. “Sure, at least you have gotten a full night of sleep”, he complained. “Try sleeping close to someone like you” Kersea raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”, she asked, as Leonard slowly rose from his bedroll. “I mean you're talking in your sleep”, he revealed.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(in various hushed voices, slowly getting louder) Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel.

• For starters, a three pages long ballad about the glory that is Leonard would suffice. If you want to take advanced courses on what to say about Leonard, I sell a full encyclopedia on this very complex and fascinating topic. I'll let you have it for 29.99 per page, but it's cutting me own throat.

I’ll pay you to let me write Leonard’s ballad and I’ll also pay for the encyclopedia, this is probably the best choice I can make as an investor and I should not pass up these opportunities.

1) It’s Leonard, what more do you want me to say? For starters, a three pages long ballad about the glory that is Leonard would suff

• [Sneak in through the back]

• I like just having two people talk. Might not that action-packed or stuff like that but it's interesting.

Aye, this is something I enjoy as well from time to time. Of course, I enjoy action just as much and arguably, action usually leads to the more intense moments, at least it's easier to achieve tension through action, but I greatly enjoy dialogue parts, especially with characters who have the rather complex connection that is between Kersea and Leonard.

The Hammered Harp! Oh what memories! What kind of rapscallions could be there now. Could be dozens of people just being quiet with only two people talking. Could be Dimitri the Wise, returned at last.

Dimitri the Wise, a possibility among many. Back when we last saw him, the Hammered Harp was still a location in the story, so it would be fitting to have him return as well.

It's very sad to see Leonard so depressed. Suffering in silence. Poor bastard. Also noted his reluctance to speak about his past. I am curious to see if he will open up or be the, well, normal Leonard. Sarcastic, kind of jerkish, yada yada yada.

Yeah, Leonard has a lot of guilt over what happened in Oldtown and with Lucas. At least Lucas felt the same guilt, so it wasn't quite as bad, but now it slowly shows. And you know Leonard, it's quite a stretch for him to end up getting openly sad about something, so that shows just how much this truly burdens him. I'd say if he opens up, it'll take a long time. He and Lucas became friends through tremendous hardships despite the differences, and these differences between him and Kersea are notably bigger.

Also Quent. Wonder what that bloke is up to.

Old people stuff. You know, sitting in a room, reading, making marvellous plots to take over the world, knitting, playing Bingo. The usual stuff.

Heheheheheh nightmares are for suckers. Keep blaming yourself Kersea.

Aye, she is blaming herself. It's a guilt that iskind of similar to Leonard's, they both feel as if they failed someone they were close to, Lunett and Alysanne respectively. Of course, in Kersea's situation there is the added difference that she feels terrible guilt over the lives she had to take, even if they were people such as Septon Corbin, himself definitely not deserving of any pity.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Seriously though, there is nothing more annoying than someone mumbling when you're trying to sleep. Once I've been camping and one of the people I was sharing the tent with (it was one of these large five people tents) was mumbling in his sleep and it kept me up for hours. In Leonard's case, Kersea is sleeping about three feet away from him, in a forest with no one else around. It is very quiet at night out there, since it is already too cold for most types of insects, which makes this mumbling one of the few things he hears and naturally, it keeps him up. I'd say neither has gotten a good night of rest, Leonard was kept up (though not only by Kersea's mumbling, but also by his own thoughts), whereas Kersea slept through the entire night but had exhausting nightmares.

(in various hushed voices, slowly getting louder) Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel. Donnel.

(in equally various hushed voices, also slowly getting louder) Soon. Soon. Soon. Soon. Soon. Soon. Soon.
    This chapter, as I announced :) A bit later into the chapter though, there's a few things in Jenna's storyline I wish to put emphasis on first.

[Follow Leonard through the front] Leonard is always right, must obey. I like just having two people talk. Might not that action-packed o

• Hehe, I must say I really enjoy the dynamic between Leonard and Kersea =) They have some chemistry, but there's also a certain amount of resentment between them to spice things up. I'm sure I'll be enjoying the adventures of these two going forward, and perhaps seeing their relationship evolve through hardships. After all, Lucas and Leonard weren't exactly best of friends at the beginning either. That said, I do kind of feel bad for Kersea when Lenny keeps poking at her and making her feel bad about her past. However, I can't really be too angry with Leonard, because he does have a point as well.

[Sneak in through the back] Well, in case these people in the tavern are hostile, Kersea is going to be more helpful by sneaking on their back. And if they aren't hostile? Well, at worst it'll just cause a bit of an awkward moment, and Leonard going "I told you so" :D

• Hehe, I must say I really enjoy the dynamic between Leonard and Kersea =) They have some chemistry, but there's also a certain amount of resentment between them to spice things up. I'm sure I'll be enjoying the adventures of these two going forward, and perhaps seeing their relationship evolve through hardships. After all, Lucas and Leonard weren't exactly best of friends at the beginning either. That said, I do kind of feel bad for Kersea when Lenny keeps poking at her and making her feel bad about her past. However, I can't really be too angry with Leonard, because he does have a point as well.

Ah, glad to hear you enjoy this aspect of the storyline :) I saw the potential right away, the main reason why I put them into the storyline. It is a bit similar to Lucas and Leonard, but as you have noticed, there is definitely some resentment between these two, stronger than the rivalry between the knights. Leonard is mostly very disappointed in Kersea, as he had gotten a positive first impression on her when she saved his life, only to have that one crushed when realizing that she has been involved with the man who tried to kill him in the first place, killing Corbin and Halla, as well as Harris. He isn't holding the latter against her though, he just said it in the heat of the moment. He considers is essentially a kill in self defence, as Harris would have turned on her if she wouldn't have used the opportunity, but Corbin and Halla are a different situation entirely. Working these issues out won't be as easy as the friendship that eventually developed between Lucas and Leonard.

Hehe, I must say I really enjoy the dynamic between Leonard and Kersea They have some chemistry, but there's also a certain amount of resen

• [Follow leonard through the front]

• edited February 2018

The Voting is closed!

Kersea is going to follow Leonard in through the front

As announced, I have to close this voting earlier than usual, after leaving it open for just a little over two days as opposed to the usual three. I am very sorry to anyone who hasn't gotten the chance to vote yet, but the alternative would have likely been to leave you without another part until Sunday and I can't possibly stand for that. At least a notable number of you has gotten their votes in, to the extent where the outcome is clear even if one or two votes more could have come in today and tomorrow. This option is going to be a bit of a pleasant surprise to Leonard. It's clear he doesn't have the best opinion on Kersea, so he half expects her to go against his course of action. If this is truly the best choice though shall be seen. After all, Leonard himself just admitted to be one to make mistakes at times. You'll find out in Kersea's next part.

Now, to my utmost surprise, I realized I will be able to finish the part before leaving for the rest of the week. That means, with me returning on Sunday with a new part ready, nothing will change about the usual schedule. This new part was originally planned to hold Ysilla's PoV and a second one, but I found myself having way too much fun with the Allyrion family reunion to keep it short and so, she has gotten the entire next part for herself. Hopefully, this'll show and you'll enjoy it as well.

And well, one thing might be a bit different in the next couple days, namely my activity in general. So, I'll try to be somewhat active, but if I don't get wi-fi, I'll be limited to very bad mobile internet from my phone and I might not be going to reply to your comments immediately, but you know me, there's little I enjoy more and I'll make sure to do that first thing when I return :)

Also, I almost forgot, there is a shout-out to give! A rare thing nowadays, but a very welcome one. See, there's a couple stories here who have been going on for quite some time and not all have managed to hold their audience, for various reasons. Even FoT has lost some readers over the years, though I am thankful to see so many sticking with the story for such a long time. One story that has unfortunately lost most of its readers of the years is one I gave a shout-out back when it first started. It is a Hunger Games fanfiction, detailing the events of the first Quarter Quell and it is written by @TeamKennyW00T
    After realizing that most of the former audience has stopped reading and that new readers might be a bit intimidated by the fact that there's a lot of material to read and no spots for the character submission free anymore, he came to the conclusion that he would like to restart the story, rewrite it where necessary, keeping only a handful of characters from the original and leaving the rest open to hopefully attract a larger audience this time. Being a reader of the first hour, I can absolutely vow for him to be a great author, dedicated to his work, with the necessary skill to pull of a highly intriguing and complex story. In short, I love the story and I am certain so will you if you decide to check it out. Character submission is open, there's a lot of open spaces to fill if you want to. I still have my character from the original story and will be active over there as well, so if you want to expand your followed stories with a very good one, all you have to do is to follow this link here: https://telltale.com/community/discussion/118961/the-hunger-games-character-submission-open.

• edited February 2018

Ysilla

Riding across the dusty road over the hill, Ysilla had moved the headscarf a bit up, covering her mouth and nose. It was a windy day, and hot sand was blown down the hills, as Ysilla and her companions rode up. However, though it slightly stung in her eyes, she barely noticed it over the anxiousness of her beating heart. And she could only imagine how much worse this must be for Theodan, the banished son.

Her brother was riding next to her, closely behind them Jenelyne and Allar on the dark horses Absidee had given to them. The siblings shared Ysilla's thoughtful choice of clothing, headscarves wrapped around their faces to protect them from the sand that was so overly present in these parts of Dorne. The closer to the centre, the more it became a desert and one unlike any she had seen during her brief stay in the Free Cities.

Godsgrace itself though wasn't quite as barren as the very centre. And as they had finally crossed the hill, Ysilla gasped, as she saw the city below. Her home, perhaps not the largest or richest city in the world, but the most beautiful, out of all the cities she had seen. Even from afar, the castle itself stood out, as did the sept, a gorgeous display of dornish craftsmanship. It had been so long since she had last seen this sight and so, she allowed herself a moment to just enjoy it.

Barely capable of removing her gaze from her beautiful home below the hill, Ysilla quickly glanced at Theodan, noticing that he was not sharing her smile. His expression was an odd one, a mixture of relief, happiness and concern. “What are you thinking about?”, she asked and her brother pulled himself away from the sight of Godsgrace, looking at her as his smile showed a hint of uncertainty. “I had forgotten how beautiful it looks”, he told her as he bit down onto his lower lip. “This is going to suck, isn't it?” Before she could answer, he took a deep breath. “Well, doesn't matter. Let's get this over with”

Ysilla smirked. “Not the homecoming you expected, I presume”, she told him, as they slowly rode down the hill and towards the southern gate. Her brother shared her smirk, but it was thinner and a bit hollow. Behind his gaze, she spotted something uncertain, something that came as close to fear as Theodan was capable of feeling. He was the bravest man she knew, but anyone's courage would falter at the thought of having to face their mother.

She still remembered the day he left. It had been over four years and she knew, the memory would haunt her forever. She had been fifteen at the time, yet the tears she had shed would have been more fitting for a girl a decade younger. Throughout the years, their father hadn't shown signs of regret, nothing that indicated he'd change his mind. Even when he had finally sent for his son again, It had been a decision made out of pragmatism.

And there were Ashara and Yandry. Both had grown up so much since Theodan had last seen them. Ysilla had been there, she knew how Yandry had matured into a calm and clever man, she knew of Ashara's ambition. Theodan would be in for more than just one surprise. At the same time, so were their father and his mother. After all, he had made it clear that nothing would persuade him to leave Ysilla behind again.

“You grew up in there?”, Jenelyne asked from behind, amazement in her voice. Ysilla glanced over her shoulder, raising an eyebrow at the other woman. “Actually, it used to be a mere barn back when I left to fetch my brother”, she replied in a playful tone. “They kinda just built the whole city while I was gone”

Jen rolled her eyes. “Idiot”, she spat, though she chuckled as she said it. “It's beautiful” She raised an eyebrow. “And don't say anything cheesy now” Ysilla flashed her a grin. “If you want lame replies, you better talk to Theodan”, she stated. “Right, Theo?”

Her brother, who clearly hadn't been paying attention, snapped out of his daydream. “What?”, he asked. “I mean, yeah. Probably. What did you say?” Jenelyne laughed brightly and Ysilla joined in on it, as she gave Theodan a wink. “I love you oh so much, brother mine”, she chirped and visibly confused, Theodan looked from Jenelyne, whose face had taken a shade of red from laughing to Allar, who was at least cracking a thin smirk as he shrugged.

“Sisters”, the sellsword growled and Theodan, his eyes slowly widening with realization, gave Ysilla a sharp look, which only made her giggle louder. Finally, his momentary anger gave in to annoyance and he smirked. “This would be a lot worse without you”, he admitted.

“Naturally”, Ysilla said with confidence in her tone. “But likewise” They were nearing the gate by now, only a couple hundred feet left until they would reach the high walls of the city of Godsgrace. A small group of guards had noticed them, approaching them from the open gates. Ysilla recognized none, but it was not as if she'd knew every single guard in Godsgrace.

“Four armed travellers”, the head guard, a tanned man with sharp features and a short, pointy beard remarked. “What business leads you to Godsgrace?” Ysilla and Theodan exchanged a glance and with a satisfied look in her gaze, she nodded. Then, her brother began to speak. “Stand attention, guard!”, he barked. “You stand before Theodan Allyrion, heir to Godsgrace!”

The guard raised a thin eyebrow. “Theodan? Nice try”, he answered. “He's been gone for years” Without even missing a beat, Theodan drew his sword in an instant and Ysilla tensed up as four blades were pointed at them. Behind her, she noticed Allar, who held his sister back from making the same move. “Theodan...”, she whispered.

Instead of doing anything rash though, Theodan surprised her by presenting the blade hilt first. Faith, a curved sword in the style of the Rhoynar that belonged to her family for generations now. The sigil of House Allyrion was carved highly visible into the wooden pommel. There was no sword like it in the known world.

The guard knew it as well. His eyes widened, as he and his men instantly saluted in front of the riders. “Ser!”, he greeted him. “Welcome back in Godsgrace! Forgive, I... we did not expect you back so soon” To this, Ysilla glanced past her brother, an eyebrow raised. “What, you thought I wouldn't find him all that quickly?”, she replied. “Have more faith, soldier, in me at least”

By now, one of the guards had turned around. “I'll inform Lord Allyrion!”, he yelled, as he rushed off. The other soldiers made way for the four riders. “Soldier!”, Theodan called after the man who was leaving. “Tell Lord Alester his son has returned” A clever smile formed on his face. “No... tell him his heir has returned!”

They followed the man, notably slower and soon, they had lost him. It did not matter. Ysilla would find her way around here blind and deaf. The streets were clean and bright, the air refreshingly cool when compared to the surrounding lands, here between the high houses of Godsgrace.

Theodan was looking around in excitement. His breath became faster, as he clenched his hands around the reins of his horse. Ysilla gently jabbed an elbow into his side. “Are you excited?”, she asked and he gave her a nod. “Nervous as well”, he admitted. “I mean... have they changed? A lot, I mean”

“Now you care?”, Ysilla asked, remembering her brothers adamant refusal to hear about the changes at home. He sighed, before he nodded again. “Well, Yandry is spending tons of time with the Maester”, she revealed. “Studying those dusty old books. The human body, the great houses of Westeros, Princess Nymeria and the unification of Dorne”

“Little Yandry?”, Theodan asked. “So, he's finally not afraid of his own shadow anymore?” Ysilla sighed. “Well, some things never change”, she replied and Theodan chuckled. “What about Ashara? Surely she has found some nice man to marry by now”

Ysilla grimaced at this remark. “It would be wonderful”, she spoke. “But nope, father keeps her around. In the last couple of years, she did some of the duties that... well, should have been yours” She rolled her eyes. “She's been acting as if she's the heiress of House Allyrion”

Theodan frowned. “You think she won't be happy to see me?”, he asked and Ysilla shook her head without even hesitating. Of course, her opinion on her half-sister was soured after years in which she had to endure her complaints, but she still remembered how Theodan and Ashara had some issues of their own even back then.

“I think, in a way, she might be”, she admitted. “But she'll also be crushed. Like, really disappointed” Theodan sighed. “Disappointing her has never been my goal”, he told her. “Yet I think I did it all the same. Surely Lady Perfect would have never gotten into any adventures with Loreza Vaith”

Ysilla shrugged. “That's kinda Ashara's problem”, she spoke. “She limits herself a little too much these days. Always on the edge, eager to prove her worth. I guess she hasn't changed too much” She gave her brother a reassuring smile. “But you have”, she told him. “You've grown”

“And you're still small”, Theodan said, to which Ysilla stuck her tongue out at him. “Arse”, she muttered. Instead of bothering with him, she instead bothered onto her delightful company. Jenelyne and Allar had kept a respectful distance, but as they noticed Ysilla slowing down, they quickly caught up. “Gods, this city...”, Jenelyne gasped. “It's so... clean and bright and why didn't anyone tell us that it's so nice here?”

“I knew”, Allar admitted. “You never asked though. And I prefer the shadow city” To the questioning glances of Ysilla and Jen, he shrugged, his massive arms crossing behind his back. “This is your home, mylady, and it is beautiful”, he explained. “But Sunspear is mine. Stay there for a bit and you'll notice it has its own charm, in a rugged way”

“So, in a way we're both like the cities we live in?”, Ysilla asked and Allar raised an eyebrow. The hint of colour appeared on his cheeks and he quickly averted his gaze. “And you grew up in a castle?”, Jen asked. Ysilla chuckled. “Is it so hard to believe?”, she asked in return and after a moment of hesitation, the other woman nodded.

“You're... not quite like how I imagined one of the high ladies”, she admitted and Ysilla rolled her eyes in a playful manner. “I can assure you, I'm not one of the high ladies”, she explained. “The name implies it already. Allyrion means high lady. Sand means treacherous, vile spawn of lust and betrayal” She said these last words in a nasal, drawling voice and Jen laughed at it. “Who says that?”, she asked.

“Eh, just about any high lady ever”, she replied. “A bastard is a bastard, even here in Dorne. I got it good compared to most, but that doesn't mean I don't know how it feels” Jen smiled, a genuine, friendly smile that gave her something beautiful. “Well, for what it's worth, I think you are great the way you are”

Slyly, Theodan raised an eyebrow, the look on his way borderline obnoxious. “Ooooh, someone likes you, little sister”, he said in a tone that made it clear how much he enjoyed this very moment, as Ysilla shot him a glare that was meant to shut him up.

Thankfully, it was also the moment the castle came into sight. The seat of House Allyrion wasn't the largest in Dorne, but from what little Ysilla had seen of the surrounding cities, it was by far the most beautiful. Perhaps it was simply her own feeling, being at home behind these walls, but nonetheless, the white stone and statues of her ancestors gave it an almost sacred feeling.

Entering the courtyard, she quickly spotted a sight that made her heart beat faster. Four people stood there, each of them dark-haired and clad in black, red and gold, their finest garments for the occasion. Her father was the tallest of them, even if he was merely average for a man, with the fairest skin of the four. His hair was dark brown and curly, falling down to his shoulders and one of his hands moved through his short beard, obviously out of nervousness.

The rest had darker hair and darker skin, the younger two looking like the woman by Alester Allyrion's side. Lady Belandra, a Qorgyle by birth, had the olive skin of her people, a strong amount of Rhoynar blood in her veins. Not taller than Ysilla, she was a beauty even beyond the age of forty.

Her only daughter, Ashara, towered her and most of them actually, being quite tall for a woman, around the same height as her father. Ysilla hated to admit that she was a beauty, having inherited her mother's looks, skin tone and hair colour. However, she did not make much out of it, dressing way too prim for a woman of Dorne, at least for Ysilla's liking, her hair tied in a demure braid and the expression on her face frozen half between a smile and half between a frown.

Finally, Yandry. The only one who was younger than Ysilla, her half-brother in the same way Ashara was her half-sister and Theodan so much more. Distant and quiet, his mother had a hand behind his back as he stared at the brother he hadn't seen in so long. She hadn't seen him in four months and yet he had barely changed, still a scrawny guy, his olive skin always having a sickly shade to it, only strengthened by the sullen look in his dark eyes.

And with tears streaming down her face, Lady Belandra rushed towards them the moment they had descended from their horses. “Theodan!”, she yelled, as she pulled her eldest son into a hug. Theodan hesitated for a moment, before he shared the gesture and Ysilla caught the tears that were forming in his eyes. “Mother...”, he whispered gently.

From behind them, Alester, Ashara and Yandry approached them. Ashara finally seemed to have settled for a smile and it seemed genuine even. Yandry, though with fearful, wide eyes, shared the expression. The only one who wasn't smiling at all was Lord Alester.

“Welcome back, big brother”, Ashara greeted him, though it was her who stared down at him as she said it. Theodan, who was nearly half a head shorter than his sister, flashed her a grin, as he spread his arms. “Ashara, a sight for sore eyes”, he exclaimed. “Seven, the men of Dorne must be crazy for not chasing you”

She rolled her eyes as she hugged him, though they separated just as quickly. “I presume they are far too busy with your other sister”, she whispered, just loud enough for Ysilla to hear it, who in return frowned at Ashara. Theodan, too caught in the moment, ignored the remark, as he turned to Yandry.

“Theodan”, the youngest Allyrion said in a somewhat sheepish tone, as Theodan's eyes slowly widened. “Is that... by the gods, is that Yandry?”, he exclaimed, as he patted the boy onto the back. “Hells, you have grown tall. A bit more and you'll reach my height”

“Technically you're not... particularly tall...”, Yandry stuttered, as he awkwardly closed his arms behind Theodan's back. He had never been the hugging type. Or the talking type, when Ysilla was around at least. She had wisely taken a step back, away from them. They were Allyrion's and they should share this moment for themselves.

Finally, Alester and Theodan looked at each other. There were no tears, not for each other, no hugs. Just a stern nod from the lord and a similar gesture, ever so briefly, from his son. “Theodan”, Alester stated firmly and Theodan gulped. “Father”, he spoke.

“I hope your journey back has been without any troubles”, he stated and Theodan nodded quickly. “Yeah, you can thank Ysilla for that”, he spoke and Ysilla herself tensed up as Alester looked at her. For a moment, she received the same, stern look as Theodan. Her father had never liked the way she dressed, the way she acted. But then, his expression softened. “Welcome back, Ysilla”, he said warmly.

She flashed him a brief smile. “Father”, she replied, but she wouldn't try to force herself into the centre here. This was Theodan's moment and he should have it with his family, his trueborn family. He was her brother, that was all that mattered and she knew she'd have enough time to be with him once they'd leave to find the Red Skull.

“You... did well”, Alester spoke and Ysilla beamed with pride. A compliment from him was a rare treat, fitting for the occasion. To be fair, for once she had been almost certain he would approve of her actions. At the same time, she was just as certain the big fallout from her recent decision, regarding Absidee and what she asked her to do, was still to come. Her father had no idea yet and the thought of having to tell him legitimately scared her.

Lady Belandra, openly sobbing now, pulled all three of her children into a hug. Alester and Ysilla stood by, smiling at the four of them. “Theodan, I hope you know this is an exception”, Alester spoke up. “I was adamant to leave you in Pentos for another four years, until Lord Vaith, hopefully I have to say, agrees to restore the relationship between our houses. Your mother talked me out of it, as did your sister” He glanced from Ysilla to Ashara. “Both of your sisters”

Ashara rolled her eyes. “Father...”, she said sternly and she sounded so much like him as she did. For once, Theodan did as well. The swagger was toned down considerably as he spoke. “I know”, he replied. “I... know I messed up and, yeah, I really learned my lesson”

Alester raised an eyebrow. “Did you?”, he asked, clearly as unconvinced as Ysilla, who had seen how little he had learned on their journey back. Theodan however had the guts to nod, without even a hint of shame in his gaze. “I'm ready to take responsibility for our house”, he claimed, something that caused Ashara to chuckle.

His father still didn't seem to be convinced, though he finally nodded. “We'll see about that”, he spoke. “It would be a welcome change. Be assured, I no longer tolerate the... antics you enjoyed before you left, nor the revelry you undoubtedly indulged in while away in Pentos... and in Braavos and Volantis and Tyrosh, as I've been told”

Theodan gulped. “So you know...”, he mumbled and Alester nodded. “My friends across the sea told me your stay with my merchant friend has been short, even for your standards. I fully expected you to give up eventually, but three weeks? I'd be disappointed if it wouldn't be so common. There's men who do this kind of work their entire lives”

“Men I pity”, Theodan replied. “But I have learned, father. I have changed. You'll see, I have a big announcement to make. Responsibilities, you'll be proud” Alester smirked slightly. “I hope you are right”, he replied. “In fact, I have an announcement to make as well, now that you have returned. Potentially no less important”

Theodan raised a hand, a slight grin on his face. “You know, I'd love to hear it now, but, uh, I'm kinda starving right here. We've been on the road for days and I guess a fancy dinner would be fitting for the kind of news we got to share”, he explained.

Alester paused, before he finally nodded. “I'll have something prepared”, he promised. “Until then, you and Ysilla shall have time to bathe and to change into proper attire” He put a hand onto Ysilla's shoulder, briefly smiling at her, before separating and putting an arm around Theodan. Briefly, he glanced at Jenelyne and Allar, as if he just now realized they were standing there, behind them. “And who are you?”, he asked.

Jenelyne gulped, biting down onto her lower lip, but Allar spoke up. “Mylord Allyrion, my name is Allar, this is my sister Jenelyne. We are sellsword and we have accompanied your children from Sunspear on orders of Princess Meria”

“A good call”, Alester admitted. “These roads are not as safe as they used to be, with the Sandstorm around. Worse might be that bandit, that Desert Fog, who roams our lands” He smiled. “You have my gratitude for keeping my children save during the journey. For that, you shall remain my guests at least for the night, you will be invited to feast with us”

As he said this, Jen's eyes lit up. “Sweet Seven, I'm starving”, she admitted and Alester tilted his head, glancing at Ysilla, who slightly shrugged. “Ysilla, would you like to show your friends the guest rooms?”, he asked. “They are all empty at the time, so grant them the one you deem the most fitting” He glanced at his family. “Or you can come with me and Theodan. I believe you require a bath just as much as your brother”

He slightly winked at her, before he, still an arm around Theodan, began to move towards the side of the castle wall, where the bathhouse of Godsgrace was located. Belandra remained, still sobbing with joy, even after Yandry and Ashara had turned to the Great Hall. The woman smiled after her returned son, before looking at Ysilla.

Instantly, Ysilla tensed up. She managed a half-hearted smile which she gave her, but the one that returned from Belandra was three times as wide and entirely genuine. She rushed towards her and pulled her into a brief, unexpected hug and it took Ysilla a lot to reciprocate the gesture. This was not her mother and she was not her daughter and for as much as Belandra didn't seem to care about this fact, Ysilla knew her own place in the family was tied to her goodwill. This made her nervous, to say the least.

“Thank you, child”, the woman whispered into her ear and Ysilla nodded. “It was a pleasure, mylady”, she replied and Belandra gave her a wink, before she hurried after her children. Ysilla was left behind with Jenelyne and Allar, looking after her father's wife.

“Well... you don't seem to be too happy”, Jen remarked and Ysilla gave her a nod. “I'm luckier than most bastards”, she stated. “Also means I can lose more if they decide I'm more of a nuisance than anything else” Allar smiled at her. “For what it's worth, I don't think you are a nuisance”, he stated and Ysilla chuckled briefly. “Thank you”, she replied. “So, you want me to show you around? A place to rest?”

Allar shrugged. “If you want to”, he spoke. “Jen and me, we can tend to the horses first if you got other things to do. Your father and your brother went that way, guess he wants you to follow” He patted his sister onto the back. “We can wait, if you want to properly catch up with your father first”

[Stay and show Jen and Allar a place to rest] [Follow after Alester and Theodan]

• Nice part, I really enjoyed learning more about the Allyrion's, their past and the dynamics in the family. Seems like Theodan really fucked up in the past, and I'm afraid he is going to have a hard time convincing Alester that he is capable of taking responsibility now.

[Follow after Alester and Theodan] While I wouldn't oppose getting to know Jen and Allar a bit better, I'm just too intrigued to see more of Alester and Theodan to not choose this option :D

Ysilla Riding across the dusty road over the hill, Ysilla had moved the headscarf a bit up, covering her mouth and nose. It was a windy d

• [Stay and show Jen and Allar a place to rest]

Ysilla Riding across the dusty road over the hill, Ysilla had moved the headscarf a bit up, covering her mouth and nose. It was a windy d

• edited February 2018

Nice part, I really enjoyed learning more about the Allyrion's, their past and the dynamics in the family. Seems like Theodan really fucked up in the past, and I'm afraid he is going to have a hard time convincing Alester that he is capable of taking responsibility now.

Oh yes, he fucked up so bad, the full extent of which is going to be revealed in time. For now, what can be said is that this Loreza Vaith he had an encounter with is actually the wife of Lord Vaemon Vaith. Guess how well the lord has taken this and how strained relations between the houses are now. The details are exactly as frivolous and irresponsible as you'd expect from Theodan :D Alester doesn't have this opinion for nothing and overcoming this will be a piece of work for sure.

Nice part, I really enjoyed learning more about the Allyrion's, their past and the dynamics in the family. Seems like Theodan really fucked

• [Stay and show Jen and Allar a place to rest] There will be time to talk to them, and this is between father and son, and while I would like to see it, it should be better if they rest.

Should not be rude to guests.

What a nice family reunion. Can’t wait to see what tears them apart.

• [Follow after Alester and Theodan]

It must be a rare occasion for a bastard like Ysilla gets to go bathe along with the Lord and heir of the house.

• edited February 2018

Ah, the feels! Damn, this part was an explosion of different feelings for me and I don't even know how to begin to write about it :D I was looking forward to this specific part the most, and man, it hit me right in the feels. First of all, I gotta say how much I like the Ysilla, Theodan, Jen, Allar group... they feel so good together, I can't wait to see more of their bonding. I know, its pretty early but I feel like the chemistry between these four is just crazy good! They haven't been together for that long and are already messing around with each other, hells, even Allar joined in a little bit and that's saying something. I feel like Theodan better keep his game in top shape, because I have a feeling that Jen and Ysilla are probably going to team up to tease him if this part here is any indication, here's hoping Allar becomes an ally because Theo will certainly need one xD. Jen and Ysilla's interactions in this part were really cute, it was a joy to see Jen so amazed by the sight of Godsgrace and about Ysilla growing up in a castle. Aaah, I really can't wait to see this group together going forward and how they'll develop, it brings a smile to my face. I'm very excited for the things to come, especially for when the Red Skull joins the band. He definitely will be an important figure for them, though especially for Theodan since it seems like they're actually quite alike. I have a feeling that I'm really going to enjoy reading about the future interactions between these two.

And man, the interactions between Theodan and Ysilla were so damned good! I couldn't help but smile every time they were together, everything was perfect. I love the relationship they have, they're really adorable together and its a delight to read. The way they always support each other, though of course always with a healthy dose of teasing, its just too adorable. I love how they can get really childish with their teasing even, it's amazing that even though they've been apart for so long their relationship haven't changed in the slightest during these years... it just goes to show how strong their bond actually is. I also found it really adorable how Theodan got kinda jealous when he sensed that Jen was getting too close to his little sister :D It was really nice how he went out of his way to tell Alester that Ysilla was the entire reason why they didn't have any problems on their way back home, Theodan knows how much Alester's praise means to her and he wanted to make sure that she'd get it. I feel like I've been saying "adorable" a lot, but I'll be damned if I can find a better word to describe their relationship. Going forward, I really hope that when making dictionaries, people put this entire part next to the definition of adorable.

I feel like this part was really all about Theodan, in a lot of ways, and man has he delivered. I feel like never before in his life has he felt so insecure, not even on the day he was banished from his home. Actually, it was a hurricane of feelings for him from start to finish. I gotta say that I loved seeing Theodan taking a commanding tone when announcing himself to the soldiers at the gates. God, in that entire part Theodan was the definition of badassery... It was so fucking epic the way he presented Faith to the guards in order to prove who he was. Theodan resembled Alester a lot there, it really goes to show that despite their differences (which aren't few), he is very much his father's son. Talking about interactions, the actual family reunion was what hit my feelings the most. That first interaction between Theodan and his mother was really touching for me, it really shows how much Belandra missed her son and how much his family matters to Theodan, even if his actions would lead you to believe otherwise. I don't even want to imagine how devastated she will be when she eventually finds out that Theodan will be leaving yet again. I know that we didn't see a whole lot about Belandra, but you were totally spot on with her here, especially with her relationship with Ysilla. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her. Now, the reunion between Theodan and Ashara was one of the things I was looking forward to the most in this part, and it did not disappoint. By the way, I loved the nickname Theo used for her earlier in this part, "Lady Perfect" is pretty much the most fitting nickname he could use to describe Ashara (though I doubt she'd take kindly to it xD). You did an amazing job with them here, they do have a pretty complicated relationship and you captured it perfectly. It was pretty "intense" reading that part by the way, Theodan looked legitimately down when he said that disappointing Ashara was never what he wanted. Sadly he'll disappoint her again really soon, I can't even imagine how she'll react when she learns of her siblings' future journey. I really look forward to seeing their future interactions and how the relationship between Theodan and Ashara will grow. And I love how Ashara couldn't lose the opportunity to turn Theodan's remarks towards her into Ysilla's direction... maaan, I can't wait for more interactions between the three of them. Ah, and I can't forget Yandry... I gotta say that you did an incredible job with him and I really have to thank you for that. You see, when submitting Yandry I, on purpose, made his character pretty bland. At the time I thought it was a good idea considering some events of his past and how young he is, but later on I saw that I could have done a way better job while still keeping the core premise for his character intact. I know that we haven't seen much of him yet, but considering what we learned about him during this part, I already know that you filled in some blanks in the exact way I envisioned. By the way, I couldn't help but smile when reading about his remarks toward's Theodan's height, ah, I just can't help but love the Allyrions XD.

And then, what can I say about the reunion between Theodan and Alester? For one, it went better than expected, yet it still was just as intense as I thought it would be. I really like the dynamics between those two, and with the future announcements to come, from both Theodan and Alester, I imagine things between them are probably going to take another bad turn. Theodan really is something else though, I love how he kept a straight face while telling Alester that he had indeed learned his lesson and changed. Theodan can be really persuasive if he wants to, yet is going to take a lot to convince Alester that he is ready for responsibility now. Especially since it seems that, at least for now, Theodan didn't really learn his lesson, or at least not in the way Alester was hoping for. It doesn't help that Alester already knew about Theodan not staying with his merchant friend as it should've been, I wonder what else he knows about Theodan's time in the Free Cities. Now if I had to guess, I imagine Theodan's announcement will be about their journey to Oldtown, though I bet he'll lie a lot about the whole circumstances surrounding their mission. For one I think he'll try to take all the "blame" for this away from Ysilla and put it in himself, all while trying to make himself look good and responsible. Now, in retrospect, I'm really curious about Alester's announcement here... I've got this feeling that it won't be something Theodan will be happy with. Alester allowed Theodan back ahead of time for a reason, and I imagine this announcement is going to reveal exactly that reason. As if that wasn't enough, Alester mentioned something else that got me very intrigued, namely the bandit activities that are going on in Dorne. First the Sandstorm and now this Desert Fog fellow...things are already taking a complicated turn for Dorne and we're still in the early stages here.

I have so much more to say about this part, believe me, but I feel like I've already gone long enough with this and I'm really sorry for that, I just couldn't help myself :D. Now, for the choice, I just have to go with [Follow after Alester and Theodan]. I won't mind even the tiniest bit if the other choice wins, like I said earlier, I really like this little dornish band and reading more about their interactions would be a delight. That said, I just can't pass up a chance to see more of Theodan and Alester together. I feel like they have such an interesting dynamic and I'm truly curious to see just what are they going to talk about.

I definitely want to see this conversation and learn more about these Allyrion's in general especially Ashara since she seems like one that might have to have an eye kept on them. I also really like Ysilla and am excited to see where her story goes from here. Btw, I figured I'd mention that I haven't stopped reading the story, I just don't always vote if I feel I can't make an informed decision or have gotten behind on it a bit :D Anyway, great part and I am very excited to see more of Dorne!

• Actually not as much as you may think. Lord Alester has always put a lot of effort into treating Ysilla like he treats any of his trueborn children and he is actually quite close to her. This unfortunately means he also has the same expectations of her and those are pretty conservative. He might not outright force her to, but he very much tries to urge her to have a more ordinary way of life, where she is to behave similar to her half-sister. If he'd see her as merely some bastard, he'd likely be more tolerating of her tomboyish habits and carefree way of life.

DiverseGnu posted: »

[Follow after Alester and Theodan] It must be a rare occasion for a bastard like Ysilla gets to go bathe along with the Lord and heir of the house.

• Hehe, I was really looking forward for your thoughts on this part. They are usually very in-depth and you have quite some nice insight there. I mean, that is to be expected, with you having submitted the Allyrion family, but I am definitely always happy to hear your thoughts on them! Let me try to respond to some of them :)

Ah, the feels! Damn, this part was an explosion of different feelings for me and I don't even know how to begin to write about it :D I was looking forward to this specific part the most, and man, it hit me right in the feels. First of all, I gotta say how much I like the Ysilla, Theodan, Jen, Allar group... they feel so good together, I can't wait to see more of their bonding. I know, its pretty early but I feel like the chemistry between these four is just crazy good! They haven't been together for that long and are already messing around with each other, hells, even Allar joined in a little bit and that's saying something. I feel like Theodan better keep his game in top shape, because I have a feeling that Jen and Ysilla are probably going to team up to tease him if this part here is any indication, here's hoping Allar becomes an ally because Theo will certainly need one xD. Jen and Ysilla's interactions in this part were really cute, it was a joy to see Jen so amazed by the sight of Godsgrace and about Ysilla growing up in a castle. Aaah, I really can't wait to see this group together going forward and how they'll develop, it brings a smile to my face. I'm very excited for the things to come, especially for when the Red Skull joins the band. He definitely will be an important figure for them, though especially for Theodan since it seems like they're actually quite alike. I have a feeling that I'm really going to enjoy reading about the future interactions between these two.

Hehe, they are indeed growing closer. I like this dornish cast just as much, so it's great to hear you like Ysilla's little group she acquired here. There definitely should be a lot more bonding in this chapter. Thing is, Ysilla and Jen are really very much alike, so it kinda clicks instantly with them. Allar is the more serious of them, but even he is not entirely above joining in. Between them though, he can probably understand Theodan the best. He has grown up with a woman that is so much like Ysilla, so he knows how it can be at times :D Theodan and Dagar Manwoody though, I can confirm they got their similarities. Keep in mind, Dagar is about twenty years older than Theodan though and that will play into this situation as well, but as Sarina confirmed last chapter, he reminds her of her uncle and she didn't just say it without reason, he legitimately reminds her of him.

And man, the interactions between Theodan and Ysilla were so damned good! I couldn't help but smile every time they were together, everything was perfect. I love the relationship they have, they're really adorable together and its a delight to read. The way they always support each other, though of course always with a healthy dose of teasing, its just too adorable. I love how they can get really childish with their teasing even, it's amazing that even though they've been apart for so long their relationship haven't changed in the slightest during these years... it just goes to show how strong their bond actually is. I also found it really adorable how Theodan got kinda jealous when he sensed that Jen was getting too close to his little sister :D It was really nice how he went out of his way to tell Alester that Ysilla was the entire reason why they didn't have any problems on their way back home, Theodan knows how much Alester's praise means to her and he wanted to make sure that she'd get it. I feel like I've been saying "adorable" a lot, but I'll be damned if I can find a better word to describe their relationship. Going forward, I really hope that when making dictionaries, people put this entire part next to the definition of adorable.

Theodan and Ysilla, specifically their interaction together, that is actually my personal highlight of the storyline in so many ways. I have such a huge amount of fun writing them together that their scenes kinda come natural and more often than not, they surprise me as well while writing =) Their relationship is this very pure thing, there's genuine affection, it's incredibly strong, but definitely so light-hearted that they can easily both drop the act and be childish together. Adorable, I think that is a word I'd use as well in that context, at least it is very much intended to be this way and I am super glad I got the reaction I hoped for from you :)

I feel like this part was really all about Theodan, in a lot of ways, and man has he delivered. I feel like never before in his life has he felt so insecure, not even on the day he was banished from his home. Actually, it was a hurricane of feelings for him from start to finish. I gotta say that I loved seeing Theodan taking a commanding tone when announcing himself to the soldiers at the gates. God, in that entire part Theodan was the definition of badassery... It was so fucking epic the way he presented Faith to the guards in order to prove who he was. Theodan resembled Alester a lot there, it really goes to show that despite their differences (which aren't few), he is very much his father's son. Talking about interactions, the actual family reunion was what hit my feelings the most. That first interaction between Theodan and his mother was really touching for me, it really shows how much Belandra missed her son and how much his family matters to Theodan, even if his actions would lead you to believe otherwise. I don't even want to imagine how devastated she will be when she eventually finds out that Theodan will be leaving yet again. I know that we didn't see a whole lot about Belandra, but you were totally spot on with her here, especially with her relationship with Ysilla. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her. Now, the reunion between Theodan and Ashara was one of the things I was looking forward to the most in this part, and it did not disappoint. By the way, I loved the nickname Theo used for her earlier in this part, "Lady Perfect" is pretty much the most fitting nickname he could use to describe Ashara (though I doubt she'd take kindly to it xD). You did an amazing job with them here, they do have a pretty complicated relationship and you captured it perfectly. It was pretty "intense" reading that part by the way, Theodan looked legitimately down when he said that disappointing Ashara was never what he wanted. Sadly he'll disappoint her again really soon, I can't even imagine how she'll react when she learns of her siblings' future journey. I really look forward to seeing their future interactions and how the relationship between Theodan and Ashara will grow. And I love how Ashara couldn't lose the opportunity to turn Theodan's remarks towards her into Ysilla's direction... maaan, I can't wait for more interactions between the three of them. Ah, and I can't forget Yandry... I gotta say that you did an incredible job with him and I really have to thank you for that. You see, when submitting Yandry I, on purpose, made his character pretty bland. At the time I thought it was a good idea considering some events of his past and how young he is, but later on I saw that I could have done a way better job while still keeping the core premise for his character intact. I know that we haven't seen much of him yet, but considering what we learned about him during this part, I already know that you filled in some blanks in the exact way I envisioned. By the way, I couldn't help but smile when reading about his remarks toward's Theodan's height, ah, I just can't help but love the Allyrions XD.

You are right, this was Theodan's part to shine. Ysilla knew it as well, which is why she took a step back when they met with the rest of the Allyrion's, because just as he knows how much Alester's praise means to her, she knows how much this reunion means to him. But I was glad I got to show some aspects of Theodan. He definitely can be a very complex guy (at least in the situations where he isn't absolutely simple on purpose) and the relationship with his family is equally complex. There is a strong bond in some way, stronger than the bond Ysilla has with anyone that is not him or Alester, but there's also some issues, particularly with Ashara, which I plan to put a lot more focus on as the storyline progresses in this chapter. However, him leaving, this will cause some very conflicted reactions from her. You are right, in a way she will be very disappointed. At the same time, she has all the ambition Theodan lacks and she has basically acted as the heiress in this past four years, so him leaving again will give her more of a chance to do what she's goot at, maybe even to make Alester see that, yes, she is indeed the better option when it comes to the future of House Allyrion. But disappointment will be there as well, maybe even bitterness at herself being so capable, so ambitious and aspiring to take charge, but the one who has all of it simply due to being born two years earlier just toys with it and throws it away as he pleases. I feel like this duality, her loving her brother and wanting him around and her being so disappointed and bitter about their respective roles in the house is very much the core of their relationship. When it comes to Yandry, he is admittedly the least colourful Allyrion, but I never felt he was bland. If you wish to expand on him, you can always do so :) I feel like there is more than enough for me to work with though, even if a lot about him will be hard to show. He is, after all, a very quiet guy, especially around the actual PoV of these parts, but I think I'll be able to show some depth in him as well, be assured of it!

And then, what can I say about the reunion between Theodan and Alester? For one, it went better than expected, yet it still was just as intense as I thought it would be. I really like the dynamics between those two, and with the future announcements to come, from both Theodan and Alester, I imagine things between them are probably going to take another bad turn. Theodan really is something else though, I love how he kept a straight face while telling Alester that he had indeed learned his lesson and changed. Theodan can be really persuasive if he wants to, yet is going to take a lot to convince Alester that he is ready for responsibility now. Especially since it seems that, at least for now, Theodan didn't really learn his lesson, or at least not in the way Alester was hoping for. It doesn't help that Alester already knew about Theodan not staying with his merchant friend as it should've been, I wonder what else he knows about Theodan's time in the Free Cities. Now if I had to guess, I imagine Theodan's announcement will be about their journey to Oldtown, though I bet he'll lie a lot about the whole circumstances surrounding their mission. For one I think he'll try to take all the "blame" for this away from Ysilla and put it in himself, all while trying to make himself look good and responsible. Now, in retrospect, I'm really curious about Alester's announcement here... I've got this feeling that it won't be something Theodan will be happy with. Alester allowed Theodan back ahead of time for a reason, and I imagine this announcement is going to reveal exactly that reason. As if that wasn't enough, Alester mentioned something else that got me very intrigued, namely the bandit activities that are going on in Dorne. First the Sandstorm and now this Desert Fog fellow...things are already taking a complicated turn for Dorne and we're still in the early stages here.

Aye, this did go better than Theodan and Ysilla both expected. The thing is, Alester's determination to be angry and punishing towards Theodan has been worn down over the years in which Belandra, Ysilla, occasionally Yandry and even Ashara have constantly asked him to allow him to return. He loves his son and heir, but there is some tense stuff between them as well and I am glad I managed to bring this out just as well. There is a bit of hope that Theodan indeed learned his lesson, but he at least knows enough about his past couple of years to feel like this might be a fool's hope. I can tease there will be more development between these two, their relationship will develop quite significantly with what is to come. The announcement Theodan is going to make will play into it, but Alester's announcement will be equally important. Tension is to come. When it comes to the bandits, you spotted something quite right here. There is the Sandstorm, now active in the Godsgrace area as well. At the same time, they are troubled by a guy known as the Desert Fog, whom we will learn a lot more about in the future. He is probably not as bad as the downright terroristic group of the Sandstorm rebels though, but still a threat for people in this area, as you are going to learn in a future part.

Ah, the feels! Damn, this part was an explosion of different feelings for me and I don't even know how to begin to write about it I was loo

• I definitely want to see this conversation and learn more about these Allyrion's in general especially Ashara since she seems like one that might have to have an eye kept on them. I also really like Ysilla and am excited to see where her story goes from here. Btw, I figured I'd mention that I haven't stopped reading the story, I just don't always vote if I feel I can't make an informed decision or have gotten behind on it a bit :D Anyway, great part and I am very excited to see more of Dorne!

Ah, yes, I have thought about that, I am really glad to hear that you're still around :) Your thoughts are also always appreciated! It's good to hear you enjoy the Dorne storyline so far. There is another PoV to come as well, in Chapter 4 and I think with him around, the Dorne storyline should really get into motion beyond what I can show from Ysilla's PoV. But she seems to be a well-liked character and this is nice to know.

CM3434 posted: »

[Follow after Alester and Theodan] I definitely want to see this conversation and learn more about these Allyrion's in general especially

• I'm back and the voting is closed!

Ysilla is going to follow after Alester and Theodan

This wasn't necessarily a story changing choice of deep importance for Ysilla, but mostly a choice that depends how much time I'll invest for each character this chapter. This option obviously puts more emphasis on Alester and Theodan and their relationship with Ysilla and each other. That said, I believe there should still be sufficient screen time for Jenelyne and Allar still, just a little bit less. In any way, I really look forward for the interaction that should come out of this choice, you will definitely learn a lot more about the Allyrion family soon.

The next part... well, for once I gotta admit something, I haven't managed to finish it yet. I have been so busy these past days that nope, I did not manage to finish an entire part. I got about half of it done and it is questionable if I will fully finish it today. First of all, I am a bit tired and am not sure how well writing works in my current state of mind. I'll try my best of course, but you might have to wait until tomorrow. However, to make up for it, this next part should be super exciting, because it will be the first part since Chapter 1 of Book 1 to introduce 2 new PoV's at once. Both will be located in the Vale, giving you a hint at the new Vale storyline for Book 2. Of course, I can't say too much about them for now, only that they are among the characters that have been in the waiting list the longest and they will each come with a big supporting cast of their own. I am certainly excited to introduce them and can only hope that you will enjoy them :)

• Lachlan

A cold wind had come from the mountains this morning and as Lachlan Keding slowly rode up the path that should lead him to his destination, he shivered, despite the fur cloak he had wrapped himself in. Perhaps it wasn't just the cold though. His destination was equally chilling, if the rumours could be believed.

His mother, he remembered, had never believed in the rumours surrounding the castle of Runestone. A Coldwater by birth, her house had always been closer to House Royce than Lachlan's family, the Keding's of Phoenixfall. Both bannermen to the Bronze Lord, living in the shadow of the most powerful family of the Vale. And yet, Lachlan had seen the man only once and heard so much more, so much worse.

He was thankful for the lack of snow in these parts of the Fingers at least, knowing how easily this fact could change. The path up to Runestone was troublesome enough already and the last thing he wanted was for one of the Vale's finest to break his neck in the ravine to his left. A small, cold stream poured down there, the water almost turning to fog as it neared the ground. To his right, a wide plain gave view to the lands of House Royce. Barren and cold, the landscape was home to few trees, gnarled, hunched and dead, but a colourful array of lichens. Jagged rocks scattered across the yellow grass, offering some protection from the sharp winds.

And in the distance, Runestone. The ancient seat of House Royce was almost archaic in its looks, hinting at the baffling age of its owners. Though later lords had expanded on it, the initial construction, built by First Men during the dawn of time. What was visible formed a half circle and though the walls weren't particularly high, the fact that the castle itself half built into the mountain, only accessible by a narrow bridge over a deep ravine, made more than up for it.

A second, smaller outpost had been built at the other end of the ravine, the one where Lachlan was riding towards. Two high towers, a sturdy gate and the watchful gaze of crossbowmen made Runestone a sight as intimidating as it was ancient.

Other men would have grown nervous at the sight of an armed patrol riding towards him. Lachlan however merely put on a confident smile, as he raised a hand to wave towards them. The men glanced at him beneath their helmets, not outright hostile, but curious. “The Bronze Lord does not receive supplicants today”, one of the men snarled.

Lachlan shrugged. “He will receive me though”, he replied. “After all, he expects me” He put a hand onto his chest and bowed as much as the saddle allowed it. “Ser Lachlan Keding. I have been called to Runestone by his orders”

The guard narrowed his eyes, before he nodded. “Yeah, we've been told about this. Before you enter, you will leave your weapons with us. You won't need them inside the castle and they'll be returned as soon as you leave”

To this, Lachlan slightly frowned. It was unseemly for him to walk around without a sword, after the battles he had won. At the same time, the guard was right with one thing, he didn't need the weapon inside the castle walls. If he'd get into a situation where he would, he'd be dead either way.

Reluctantly, he removed the scabbard from his belt, knowing he had no choice if he wanted to enter Runestone. It wasn't really something he wanted, to be fair, but something he had no say in. No one denied the Bronze Lord a wish, no one in their right mind at least.

“Glad you comply”, the guard complimented him, as he took the sword. Lachlan replied with a nod, as he pulled the cloak closer. Dismounting from his horse, he handed the reins to another guard and the man took the animal to a small stable inside this outer fortress.

On the head guards sign, a portcullis was pulled up from the other end of the outpost, allowing Lachlan to set his gaze onto the bridge that connected Runestone with the rest of the Royce lands. It was a narrow bridge and though he had never been afraid of heights, the thought of crossing it gave him an uneasy feeling. He had to imagine how much worse it had to be for the men under Lord Royce's command, who had to cross it every single day.

“Try not to look down”, the guard mumbled, something that probably should have been reassuring. In his tone though, it sounded indifferent and Lachlan gave him a crooked smile in return. Then, he had crossed the small courtyard of the outpost and set his first foot onto the bridge.

Tensing up was a normal reaction, given the height and the sharp wind that came from the side. There was a small handrail at least, but still, it was not much that separated him from a long way down. Though unsettling, the sight also left him in awe at the First Men who had built this bridge. In a moment of weakness, he made the mistake of looking down. He gulped as he noticed the water several hundred feet below him and he had to wonder how many bones were resting down there.

The actual gates to Runestone were open and as Lachlan approached, horns from the outpost were sounded, announcing his presence at the castle. Even before he had reached the castle proper, a figure appeared in the small hall behind and as Lachlan came closer, he saw that it was a young woman and quite a beautiful one at that. Her hair was tied into a loose golden blonde bun, some strands falling down her face in gentle curls that barely reached her neck. Bright blue eyes glanced at him, as she crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. Her dress, while made of fine fabric, was more plain though, just a simple brown, modest as well, not unlike what a maester would wear.

She mustered him from afar and Lachlan found it hard not to do the same. He settled to focus on the gorgeous blonde of her hair, probably her most charming feature. “Let me guess...”, she said as he had finally reached her just at the entrance to Runestone. “Lachlan Keding?”

Lachlan reciprocated her smirk, though this was the moment her expression grew more serious. “Have we met, mylady?”, he asked, settling for a decent bow in front of her. She shook her head. “No, but we don't expect more visitors today”, she explained. “In fact, you're late, the last of three”

“Three?”, Lachlan asked. “I... forgive, I haven't gotten your name” She nodded. “That's right and now you'd like to, huh?”, she replied, before she cracked a smile. “It's Remi. Royce, I should add” Lachlan's eyes widened. “Lord Orson's daughter!”, he exclaimed, before he took a second, deeper bow in front of her. “I'm sorry, I haven't expected you to be the one to greet me”

Remi shrugged. “Well, my brothers are somewhat busy at the moment. Clovis isn't even in Runestone right now. You'll find Orson in his chambers doting on his little son and Redmond... well, check the corners, he's probably all gloomy and mopey again”, she replied. “Father knows better than to send one of them. He prefers results”

She took a step to the side and with a wave of her hand, she invited Lachlan inside, a gesture he accepted all too happily. Though by no means warm, the entrance hall of Runestone was at least protected from the howling wind that had plagued him on the bridge.

“I'm not entirely sure what can go wrong by welcoming guests at a castle”, he admitted and Remi chuckled. “Be glad he didn't send Redmond, else you would have gotten the idea”, she replied. “As said, father prefers results. As such, follow me quickly, I'll lead you to the other guests”

This time, Lachlan tilted his head, though he began to follow her indeed, through the entrance hall and past a group of guards, then through a long hallway, adorned with ancient tapestries, depicting the colourful history of House Royce, from the early days of Robar the Second and their war against the Arryn's to the prosperous rule of Yoren the Fair just a hundred years ago. “You mentioned them before”, he spoke. “Whom are they?”

“Oh, there's one whom I doubt you know”, Remi explained readily. “A man from Gulltown, a specialist who has worked with my father before. The other though, I'm certain you know him. It's Lord Coldwater”

A smile appeared on Lachlan's face. “Kyle”, he stated at the mention of his cousin. “I had no idea he'd be here as well” Remi nodded impatiently. “What, you think my father would send only one man on that special task of his?”, she replied. “He knows what he's doing”

“That's what they say about him”, Lachlan spoke and Remi narrowed her eyes. “At least those that know him well enough”, she replied. “The rest uses less flattering terms” With these words, she stopped in front of a large door. “But well, we're here. Your cousin and father's specialist are in there. There's also food and drink and servant girls you can ogle as much as you like”

A brief look of guilt flashed over Lachlan's face, though his curiosity was not sated yet. “Wait, you did not tell me anything about the reason for this yet”, he spoke and Remi gave him a nod. “You're right, I did not”, she admitted. “Well, I suppose I can tell you some stuff if you want to, but I'm sure my father will explain it better once he is ready to meet the three of you”

Surely she had a point with that, but Lachlan had heard enough about the Bronze Lord to be certain that knowledge was a valuable good when facing him. Pressing Remi to reveal more, despite her seeming fine with it, wasn't exactly a polite thing to do and he was a guest. Yet perhaps it could be important to hear her thoughts on what he had to face first before meeting her father.

[Enter the room] [Keep pressing Remi for details]

The Hawk

The first ships of a dozen had already landed at the shores of the Vale, as the Hawk leant onto the railing. It was a cold morning, even for this strange and unwelcoming land, with him finding himself longing back to the gentle grass sea where he had spent his childhood, so many decades ago.

With his single, watchful eye, he gazed at the Pig's men who poured onto the beach near Gulltown. Right now, they were busy unloading the elephants, property of Jorario the Beast, beastmaster of the three companies. Why Jorario, or better yet his leader, the Pig, would insist on elephants for this mission, the Hawk didn't even dare to guess. Behind them, Agar the Cold led two zorses to the shore, with the Summer Islander, Maldar the Quiver, bringing forth another two.

The Pig himself sat on a fifth zorse, a poor animal barely able to keep him up. The three companies held a hundred men each, but the Pig was probably the tallest, but also certainly the fattest man among them. With fair skin and fair hair, he was atypical for the men of Braavos, yet the Hawk knew he came from there, or at least he was very adamant with sticking to this story.

Hearing footsteps behind him, he turned around, noticing the captain of this small braavosi fleet. Bartmer Tidewater was already an old man, yet still at least a decade younger than the Hawk, his curled hair, goatee and twirled moustache already greying. He wore a red leather patch over his right eye, although the Hawk knew it was solely to look the part of a dashing captain. The actual eye beneath was just as fine as his left one, warm and brown.

“Ser Hawk”, he greeted him with his booming voice. “It appears we have reached our destination” His smile was wide and if it wouldn't have been for his rotten teeth, the Hawk would have called it charming. His firm gaze rested on the captain, one single, grey eye, the other one having long since been lost in battle and replaced by a small, polished orb of dragonglass for the most fearsome effect.

“You have my gratitude, Captain Tidewater”, he replied and despite his age, his voice was still strong and unbroken. A wrinkled hand moved through his thick beard, playing with one of the golden rings he had woven into it. “What are you going to do now?”

Bartmer shrugged. “It is a long way back to Braavos”, he spoke. “And the waters aren't as safe as they used to be. Your company kept us safe during our journey, but returning with a small, but critically undermanned fleet? I think I'll look for contracts in the area first” His eyes narrowed. “Say, Ser, if you could do me a favour... maybe when you're in Gulltown, could you keep an eye out for any work that might require some ships? I've got more than enough to spare and don't want to lose any to pirates and the like”

Kindly, the Hawk smiled. “Naturally, Captain”, he promised, as he glanced past him. Three men were approaching him, two of which were welcoming sights. The first was a handsome man, young enough to be the Hawk's grandson, with flowing, black hair that fell down onto his shoulders and a twirled moustache. Montoya the Duelist was his second-in-command, a man that had proven his worth over a decade in countless battles.

The other one was even younger, not even a man yet, but a boy. Hazar the Weak, as he was called, a well-deserved name, but despite that, the Hawk had a certain fondness for his squire. In a way, he was a raw diamond, whose fear could be turned into bravery, into a powerful weapon. Over the long years of his life, he had acquired a certain feeling for the true worth of a man. For now though, he was still weak, with a fearful look on his dark face, awkwardly standing behind Montoya, a hand moving through his unevenly cut hair.

Finally though, the third man, a sight the Hawk was not yet used to. Jaqiros Nestoris, representative of the Iron Bank and henchman of the one that had hired them. Or henchman of her partner, the true details surrounding the alliance between the Iron Bank and House Shett of Gull Tower, they were still a bit murky to him, but none of his concern at the same time. Jaqiros was young and lanky, with olive skin, clad in a robe, his fingers, adorned with golden rings, playing with the brown braid of his hair.

“Hey there, old man”, Montoya greeted him and the Hawk narrowed his single eye, causing the duelist to tense up. “I mean, Hawk”, he corrected himself and the Hawk smiled sharply. “Montoya, Hazar”, he greeted the two, before turning to Jaqiros. “What is it, Nestoris?”, he growled.

Jaqiros smiled back, no less sharp. The Hawk was, to be honest, surprised by his dislike of the Iron Bank representative, for he himself handled things similarly. Always smiling, yet ready to strike below, never above tactics others would consider dishonourable. It set him and his company apart from the brutish savages of the Pig or the tons of steel the Rat's men brought into battle. Poison, espionage, it all had a place in his company. Perhaps that was the thing, that Jaqiros reminded him too much of himself and the Hawk knew better than to trust such a man.

“We are behind with the plans”, Jaqiros informed him, unnecessarily so. “Lady Shett has likely grown impatient by now” The Hawk sighed. “Octavia”, he growled. “You told me I'm four times her age, so that child is no Lady Shett to me”

He pointed at the beach, where the Pig's men had just finished landing. A bit in the distance, the four ships carrying the Company of the Rat had landed. Legions of warriors marched onto the beach, even if their unlikely leader was nowhere to be seen yet. “As you see, it won't take long until we reach Gull Tower. After landing, I will take counsel with the Pig and the Rat and from there on, the three of us and a selected few from each company will travel to meet the Shett girl”

“Be careful not to say that to her face”, Jaqiros spoke. “Octavia Shett is a proud woman, what she lacks in age, she makes more than up for in ambition and cunning” A grin flashed over Montoya's face. “And looks, I hope”, he interjected. “Would be a change, working for someone who's easy on the eyes”

Jaqiros paused, sighed audibly, before shrugging. “Just keep in mind that she is the one responsible for your pay”, he explained. “Insulting her would be... unwise” He gave the Hawk a nod. “I wish to be present when you meet the Pig and the Rat”

Instantly, the Hawk shook his head. “You won't”, he growled and Jaqiros' smile grew colder. “I am afraid this was not a request”, he clarified, but the Hawk just shrugged. “And I am afraid this is not negotiable”, he replied. “What I have to discuss with the Pig and the Rat concerns only the three of us”

Jaqiros met his gaze, but like most, he faltered underneath it. Eventually, he gave in, taking a step back in defeat. “As you wish”, he said sternly. “As long as you will make way to Gull Tower as soon as possible” With these words, he turned around and marched off, while the first of the Hawk's ships landed at the nearing beach. Without the heavy equipment of the Rat or the beasts of the Pig, the Hawk's men fit into several boats that were slowly lowered to the water, before making their way to the shore.

“I really don't like that man”, Montoya remarked and the Hawk nodded grimly. “But the coin he has promised is enough to ignore that”, he stated, as he turned to Bartmer. “Captain Tidewater, I suppose I'll see you in Gulltown?” Bartmer nodded. “Aye, maybe they'll have use for my ships over there”, he replied.

With this, it was all said. The Hawk walked over to the nearest boat, spotting Timos the Hammer, chief blacksmith of the company, a giant of a man, who already held a bottle of wine in his hands. Next to him sat Mirandra the Sweet, a pretty, yet slightly heavy-weight woman, whose harmless appearance, with painted nails and lips, glossed over the fact that the Hawk had never met someone more capable in the art of poisoning people than her.

“Hawk, I toast to you!”, Timos boasted, as he took a deep gulp from his wine. Mirandra chuckled gently, as she gave the three men a nod, which Montoya used to glimpse at her cleavage. “Ignore him”, she said. “He's been like this the entire day” She stood up and with a wide, almost motherly smile, she sat down next to Hazar, the boy tensing up, visibly uncomfortable at the smell of her strong perfume. “Hello there, little Hazar”, she said in a teasing voice, pinching his cheek, as the boy gulped, trying not to look at her. While her motherly affection was probably genuine, Hazar's fear was not unfounded for once.

“Timos, Mirandra”, the Hawk greeted them, as he sat down next to the Hammer, with Montoya taking place by his other side. He gazed to the shores, as Bartmer's men led the boat down into the water. Instantly, Timos and Montoya grabbed for the paddles, to prepare bringing them to the shore proper.

Right now, the Pig's men were all gathered at the shore, perhaps a few hundred feet away from where the first of the Company of the Hawk had landed. Another few hundred feet into the other direction, the Company of the Rat had gathered at full strength. The Rat himself was visible, a sight that surprised the Hawk, for his companion was a mere dwarf. Hunch-backed and dark-skinned, his head was a bit too large for the rest of his body, yet surrounded by the best warriors of the three companies, a strong physique was not necessary. He was standing on a shield, held by his two bodyguards, the bearded priest Vogo the Axe, next to his fellow Norvoshi, the bald warrior woman Vhassah the Shield. Apparently, the dwarf was holding a speech, yet his words weren't carried far enough for the Hawk to understand them.

By the shore, he was greeted with a welcome sight. Two of his men, albeit not all under his command would call them welcome, were standing there. Sharako the Orphan Mother, an albino with pale skin and hair and piercing red eyes stood there, surrounded by a few of his orphan boys, the ones he used to spy in the Hawk's name. Next to him stood Hadrax and the Hawk was relieved to see this darkly clad man, his blonde hair and fair skin showing no signs of ageing despite being well in his sixties. Just Hadrax, unlike the rest of them, was officially the book keeper of the company, but only the Hawk knew what he was truly there for, how much he absolutely required the man's unique skills. With a thin smile, he greeted both.

“Sharako, send word to the Pig and the Rat, I wish to meet up with them”, he stated, even before he had left the rowboat. Though Montoya extended his arm to help him, the Hawk brushed it aside, jumping out of it by himself, without any effort at all. Yet he started to feel it, the age catching up to him, as his back slightly protested.

Sharako sighed, before he shook his head. “I am afraid they have been a bit faster”, he spoke, stepping aside, so that the Hawk could see the rest of the company. In the distance, firmly opposed to each other, were two figures and he sighed. One of them was Agar the Cold, the Pig's second-in-command, a tanned brute of a man, bald and thuggish. The other one was a young woman, barely out of her childhood, with a sweet face, a slim physique and blonde hair. Vii the Innocent, as the Rat had called her, yet with her being his mistress, there was hardly anything innocent about her aside from her almost childish looks.

Both, Agar and Vii, approached them and Sharako took position next to the Hawk. “The dwarf and the fatso are at each other's throats again”, he informed him. “Nothing new there, but they have been faster than you this time” He smirked. “You're getting old, Hawk”

The Hawk narrowed his eyes, as Vii reached them first. “His Excellency, the Rat, invites you to his camp, Ser Hawk”, she stated, her young voice cold and always a bit chilling. Agar glanced at her, before he shook his head. “Pig wants to talk”, he growled, his speech showing the strong accent. “Pig's camp. Not little rat's”

And there it was, the dilemma Sharako had hinted at. Though both respected and needed the Hawk, the Rat and the Pig were hardly friends and barely allies. It was him who held them together, formed them into the powerful force they were. Truth be told, he wanted to speak to both, had to speak to both eventually, to plan their next steps in this contract. The details were murky, unlikely to promise anything good for the entire region, and the one that hired them was a young and overly ambitious noblewoman. Their next steps would likely be essential for how well this task would go and he needed the Rat's cunning and the Pig's surprisingly effective solutions to be successful.

However, they had been quicker this time. Ordering them both to his camp would mean rejection their invitation, it would possibly anger them and it would force them to have counsel together. Yet he'd be there to talk to both. Maybe he wasn't their leader, but he was the Hawk and still above them. Was it appropriate to accept one of their invitations, answering to their summons and angering at least one of them even further? Such decisions had come before, so confidently, the Hawk looked at the two envoys before making his choice.

[Meet up with the Rat first] [Meet up with the Pig first] [Order them both to your camp at once]

• These certainly were interesting. Especially to see the Hawk, the Pig and the Rat after all this time. If I am correct there are 3 men with the same name like 200 years after this story right? I seem to recall the names from a World of Ice and Fire. Anyhow, the voting.

[Enter the room]

[Order them both to your camp at once]

Lachlan A cold wind had come from the mountains this morning and as Lachlan Keding slowly rode up the path that should lead him to his de

• You are absolutely right with this. An explanation can be given quite easily here, it is a bit of a legacy title. The companies of the Hawk, the Pig and the Rat were founded by three brothers-in-arms who stopped using their real names and eventually truly became simply the Hawk, the Pig and the Rat, passing this title on to their successor. The Hawk is the only founding member to still be alive, with the Pig and the Rat already being successors to the original founders. In time, he will be replaced as well. The three individuals who eventually assault Aelora Targaryen 200 years later are distant successors, as are the three who start a rebellion in the kingdom about 50 years after that incident.

captainivy1 posted: »

These certainly were interesting. Especially to see the Hawk, the Pig and the Rat after all this time. If I am correct there are 3 men with

• [Keep pressing Remi for details]

• *[Keep pressing Remi for details]

Lachlan A cold wind had come from the mountains this morning and as Lachlan Keding slowly rode up the path that should lead him to his de

• Hmm, these were certainly interesting parts, both leaving the exact directions of these new storylines somewhat ambiguous. That said, a war is clearly coming, and I have no doubt both Lachlan and the Hawk with his company will be somehow involved.

[Keep pressing Remi for details] I suppose it would be better to understand the situation at least a bit better before meeting the lord. Anyway, I am intrigued to see what the Bronze Lord has in mind, it's been such a long time since we last saw him. I wonder when will Maya & co make it back to him.

[Order them both to your camp at once] As I gather, the Hawk is the oldest and most respected of the three, so while the Rat and the Pig might not like it, I think it's safe for him to assume leadership in this situation. Plus, it's the most diplomatic solution.

• Hmm, these were certainly interesting parts, both leaving the exact directions of these new storylines somewhat ambiguous. That said, a war is clearly coming, and I have no doubt both Lachlan and the Hawk with his company will be somehow involved.

Yeah, I left the true directions for both PoV's a bit in the dark on purpose, opting not to show Orson Royce and Octavia Shett, the ones behind the missions Lachlan and the Hawk will be tasked with. It will all make sense over the course of this chapter though, at least for Lachlan, I'd say. A war might indeed come, at least the War of Conquest once Aegon puts his attention onto the Vale.

I suppose it would be better to understand the situation at least a bit better before meeting the lord. Anyway, I am intrigued to see what the Bronze Lord has in mind, it's been such a long time since we last saw him. I wonder when will Maya & co make it back to him.

Oh yes, it has been ages, over three years if I'm not mistaken. You will see a lot more of him though, I plan to actually develop him this time. When it comes to Maya, we will see her again in the next chapter, but I can confirm that she won't be back at the Vale just yet, instead we'll see a bit of her journey home, some pretty important stuff for her storyline to come.

As I gather, the Hawk is the oldest and most respected of the three, so while the Rat and the Pig might not like it, I think it's safe for him to assume leadership in this situation. Plus, it's the most diplomatic solution.

You are right, the Hawk is by far the oldest (being about as old as the Rat and the Pig combined) and as such the most experienced and therefore respected of the three, the one guy both other leaders can look up to. The leadership situation among the three companies is always a bit difficult though, as neither Rat nor Pig are willing to fully accept the Hawk as their leader and prefer to keep their contractual independence from him.

Hmm, these were certainly interesting parts, both leaving the exact directions of these new storylines somewhat ambiguous. That said, a war

• edited February 2018

[Enter the room]

Man, remembering all these new names is gonna be hard.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.