Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Take Sharako] Don’t need violent. I like intelligence. Will be more useful.

[Leave Briar with Malina] No, she cannot come. No Briar. Wolves don’t like little girls (well, they do, but not in a good way). I like Malina, should be a good guardian.

The Hawk He called for them and so they came. The Pig and the Rat were both overly punctual, neither wanting to give the other the satisf

• I like Malina

<3

[Take Sharako] Don’t need violent. I like intelligence. Will be more useful. [Leave Briar with Malina] No, she cannot come. No Briar. Wolves don’t like little girls (well, they do, but not in a good way). I like Malina, should be a good guardian.

• [Take Montoya]
    [Allow Briar to come]

• [Take Sharako]

[Leave Briar with Malina]

• The Voting is closed!

The Hawk is going to take Montoya the Duelist with him

Raenna is going to allow Briar to come with her

The first vote was almost a tie, having plenty of votes for all three choices, but in the end, Montoya won by a single vote. Raenna's choice meanwhile was actually a tie, but I am not sure if more votes would come if I'd leave the voting open for today and I won't risk it, so I'm just going to go and close it right now with the first vote counting twice, as I believe the next part should be out today. This'll be interesting for sure, I really look forward to write the next parts for both characters :)

The next part should be out today. It will mark the return of the Dragonstone storyline from Ellena's PoV. Last time we saw her, she arrived in Dragonstone, together with Noelle, Aegon and the rest of Team Targaryen. There, Aegon met with those of his advisers who remained on Dragonstone, while they decided to plan the next steps in his war, after the clear victory against the Mooton-Darklyn army. Rhaenys however opted to join them a bit later, finding such talks always a bit tedious. Instead, she preferred to check up on her young son, Prince Aenys. She gave Ellena, as her newest handmaiden, the choice to accompany her right away, or to first settle in her new surroundings. Ellena chose the former option and this is where we'll meet up with them next.

• After the last set @TheFurryOne had some requests for me, so I drew Wolfius' direwolf =) I might do Ryler's dog too at some point, we'll see. Anyway, here is the terrifying beast of Raylansfair:

• Oh my, this is scary :scream: Precisely how I imagined that beast, this is perfect! While it will (probably thankfully) be a while until we will see it again, I am now more hyped than ever to show its return. I definitely have to include a scene like that now, where it looks up from a freshly killed victim.

After the last set @TheFurryOne had some requests for me, so I drew Wolfius' direwolf I might do Ryler's dog too at some point, we'll see. Anyway, here is the terrifying beast of Raylansfair:

• Oh wow! That's incredible! I love it. :)

After the last set @TheFurryOne had some requests for me, so I drew Wolfius' direwolf I might do Ryler's dog too at some point, we'll see. Anyway, here is the terrifying beast of Raylansfair:

• I like how you managed to keep its fur dark but clearly also showed the tuffs, muscles, and shape of it. In the mid region especially, from the tail to the head, it seems three-dimensional, with the head being far closer than the tail. Nice job!

• This is awesome! The beast has the same deranged look as Wofius’ original portrait.

• Alright, apologies for the longer wait. I was contemplating about putting in another PoV, as I usually intend to do, but the part is already fairly long and I don't think a return to the Riverlands at this point would be fitting in any way. So, instead we'll see Edrick and Garthon back in the next part and this one belongs entirely to Ellena. Hope you enjoy :)

Ellena

The moment Rhaenys entered the room, something about her behaviour changed. Gone was the almost carefree young woman, though the smile on her face only widened with genuine affection, as she slowly approached the crib. A baby was lying in there and though Ellena was far from an expert on these things, she doubted the boy was older than six months. She had to agree with Rhaenys though, he was beautiful as he was lying there, quietly looking at his mother out of large, purple eyes.

“This is the most calm I've seen him in weeks”, Hemys revealed. “It's rather hard to keep him quiet when you are not around, my queen” The boy was looking otherwise healthy though, at least as far as Ellena could see it. Rhaenys gently lifted him up, rocking him in her arms, as she gave him a kiss on the forehead. “Trust me, I don't want to leave him either”, she said and she smiled as the baby looked at her. Slowly, Aenys began to smile as well, before a giggle came out of his mouth.

“Hello Aenys”, the queen said. “Hey...” She slowly and softly moved a hand over his forehead, as she smiled at her handmaidens. It was a smile of relief, even though there was an underlying sadness in it. “Sorry I had to leave for a bit”, she told her child. “It won't happen again, I promise” She looked at Hemys. “Did he drink while I was away?”, she asked and the girl nodded. “At times we had to force him though”, she explained. “He's really not acting well when you're not around”

Rhaenys' smile grew slightly smaller. “Of course”, she said. “He's just a baby. In time, he will learn” She hugged the young boy softly. “My mother used to say I've been worse than that. Up until I was three, I'd be scared out of my wits around anyone but her and Aegon”

“Even Visenya?”, Ellena said and Rhaenys chuckled. “Especially Vis”, she said. “She can be pretty scary even nowadays” She sat down in a chair in Aenys' room, letting the child rest against her chest. It didn't take long until Ellena noticed that he had fallen asleep. “And as a child, I was terrified of her”, she admitted, before she sighed. “That was before I got to know her better. But she has always been my big sister, more one to look up to than anything else, so distant and strong and... intimidating even nowadays”

Ellena looked around the room, the dark walls and the small window. It was like any room in this castle, as far as she could tell and not the place a child should grow up in, in her opinion. Though of a haunting beauty, there was something dark and intimidating about this whole castle. Something downright unnerving at times. She was sure she could get used to it, but still, it wasn't exactly hospitable. It were the people who made her hopeful that this new life would work out for her. Rhaenys, the other handmaidens, they seemed alright, even if their company came at the downside of Noelle's continuous presence in her life. One day though, she'd be free even of her poisonous influence...

Right now, she enjoyed this. Rhaenys and the young prince, it was a semblance of peace. A sting of sorrow was flashing through her, as the lack of a mother in her own life was painfully obvious. She wondered, did her mother ever hold her like this? Father had rarely spoken of her and she couldn't ask him either. At least she had memories of him, but her mother was less than a blur. At most, there was the idea of a smile and a soothing lullaby.

“Is everything alright?”, Rhaenys asked and Ellena noticed that she was biting down onto her lower lip. Quickly, she shot her a half-hearted smile, as she tried to suppress the lump in her throat. “Of course”, she lied and Rhaenys tilted her head. “You know it brings bad luck to lie to a queen”, she told her, before her smile widened. “Would you like to hold him?”

Ellena gulped. “Holding him?”, she asked and the look on the faces of Hemys and Cassandra made it clear that they were every bit as surprised as she was. Rhaenys gave her a nod. “Just be careful”, she said, as she gently lifted Aenys up, careful not to disturb his sleep. The young prince was breathing calmly, his eyes closed. Slightly nervous, Ellena grabbed the baby, initially unsure how to even hold him.

Under Rhaenys' watchful gaze, she eventually took him in her arms, where he continued his sleep. If Aegon would succeed, then the child she held in her arms right now was the future king of Westeros, a thought that was almost intimidating. And yet here he was, Prince Aenys, so small and admittedly, adorable. A smile finally found its way onto Ellena's face. “He's so light”, she said, as she quickly handed him back to Rhaenys, who was quick to wrap her arms around him to prevent him from waking up.

The queen looked at her baby, having eyes for no one else. “He will grow strong”, she said. “He has been a fighter from the moment of his birth” Ellena raised an eyebrow at this statement. “Has it been hard?”, she asked, having heard of complicated births before and Rhaenys smiled, not without pride this time. “There were few who thought either of us would make it”, she revealed. “They told Aegon I was too weak to pull through. I was feeling miserable, like running a fever and the pain... it's something I hope I never have to feel again. Aegon didn't want to hear it of course. He called off everything, every single meeting he had and he stayed by my side the whole day. Then, they said that Aenys was even weaker, that he wouldn't survive the night” She looked up, her expression a steely gaze. “When I heard this, I pulled through, not just to spite them, but because I knew, if I'd make it, so would he”

There was nothing but love in her eyes as she looked at the baby. “And he did. When our son survived his first night, it was the first time I saw Aegon crying”, she told them, before she winked. “But don't tell him I said that, he's a bit embarrassed by it” Her hand moved over the back of Aenys' head. “In time, my boy has to learn it as well. A king does not cry”

“Though a queen does?”, Ellena asked and Rhaenys blinked quickly. “Sometimes”, she said, as she kissed Aenys' head. “I... I have been away for too long. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can be a part of the war council today. He needs me today” As if he understood his mother's words, the young prince was smiling and Rhaenys sighed. “You see what I mean?”, she asked and the handmaidens nodded. “I just cannot leave him alone today”

“I'll go and tell the king”, Cassandra offered, but Rhaenys shook her head. “I would like it if Ellena does it”, she said and Ellena gasped. She hesitated a moment, before she met Rhaenys' gaze. “Me?”, she asked and Rhaenys nodded with enthusiasm. “Take it as your first test”, she said. “If you want to be of use to me, you have to do things like that all the time” Her smile widened. “Don't worry. Aegon and his council won't hurt you”, she promised.

Ellena gulped. “What... exactly do I have to tell him?”, she asked. “And where do I find him right now?” Rhaenys suppressed a chuckle, as she looked at her sleeping son. “Hemys, you show her the way, but make sure she's the one to deliver the message”, she ordered. “And Ellena, when you see my husband, simply tell him that I wish to stay with my son tonight. He knows fully well that is one thing I'm actually good at. His strategy meeting though... he doesn't really think I could add anything Visenya can't do ten times better”

“Shall I... tell him that?”, Ellena asked and Rhaenys smirked, as she shook her head. “Perhaps you should phrase it slightly differently”, she admitted. “Just tell him I'm staying with Aenys. I don't have to give a reason when I wish to spend time with my baby” She looked down at the sleeping prince again. “My husband is fighting a war for him. He'll understand”

With a look at Aenys, Ellena nodded, still slightly tensed up. “I got this”, she confirmed and Rhaenys gave her a cheerful smile. “Of course you do”, she said. “Always keep in mind, I trust you. The council might seem intimidating, but they are the best men I know. They want you no harm”

“Shall... I prepare the bath in the meantime, mylady?”, Cassandra asked and Rhaenys gave her a nod. “That'd be wonderful”, she sighed. “I have to get out of this garb if I want to look respectable in any way” Ellena raised an eyebrow, as she glanced at the queen. Aside from her physical beauty, her dress was finer than anything Ellena had ever seen in Braavos. She had no doubt, Rhaenys would look regal even in common linen.

Hemys impatiently tucked at her sleeve. “Well then, new girl”, she said in a chipper tone. “Just stick close and try not to break anything” Rhaenys gave her a wink, as Ellena turned around, readily following Hemys out of the room and into the gloomy hallway. Barely waiting for her, the other handmaiden walked at a quick pace.

“So... I suppose I can't break anything, huh?”, she brought up and Hemys flashed her a smile. “Hardly”, she admitted. “Though there's a couple people in that council meeting I wouldn't mourn for” Though her pace was fast, her tone was casual, as the two girls walked through the hallway. “Though I'm actually glad we get a chance to talk”

Ellena raised an eyebrow. “Are you now?”, she asked and Hemys nodded slightly. “You see, this is mostly a two girl position. Me and Cass have been doing this for a couple years now. Before that, it was Aena Solus and Saerya Waters, though they've grown to take on other duties. This is kind of the first time we got a third handmaiden for Queen Rhaenys”, she began to explain. “I suppose it makes sense, now that she's a mother and all, but still, there's a couple locals I would have expected to fill the position. You... you're from the Free Cities, are you not?”

“How could you tell?”, Ellena asked and Hemys smirked. “The complexion could be dornish, honestly, but it's the accent. You try to hide it, but a hint remains. My guess is... Qohor?” Ellena frowned. “Hells, nothing good comes out of Qohor”, she protested and Hemys shrugged. “Braavos then. Your kind never got along with the Qohoriks”, she deduced.

“Guilty”, Ellena stated. “I'm from Braavos, daughter of a rich merchant. Anything else you'd like to know?” Hemys shook her head. “I don't want to pry”, she said. “We gotta work together after all. Me and Cass, we're friends. Have become friends in time, I'd say. Would be nice if we don't start off on the wrong foot. I just want to make sure you're proper handmaiden material”

Ellena gave the other girl a crooked smirk. “What is that supposed to mean now?”, she asked and Hemys' expression mirrored hers. “Proper education is important. Manners. We mustn't disappoint the queen after all”, she explained. “You seem to be good though. Braavosi are a cultured lot, even my father respects them. Your manners seem decent and I can teach you the rest”

“I... thank you”, Ellena said, as she actually believed this girl. She had spent time with liars before. Noelle, always, with every rotten, venomous word she ever said in her miserable life, she had been a good teacher when it comes to spotting a lie. Even Terroma had lied to her, or at least hidden the truth. Hemys though, she seemed genuine.

“You're welcome”, Hemys told her, as the two girls turned right and up a set of stairs, then through another hallway. “Queen Rhaenys trusts you, so that has to suffice. But keep in mind, you have to act the part. Are you used to responsibilities?”

Ellena frowned, as she thought about what that might mean. “Not really, I think”, she stated. “Used to be responsible for my own life though, if that counts” As expected, Hemys shook her head. “Not really”, she confirmed. “This time, you won't be responsible for any lives, but for something of equal importance. Your duties will be to serve Queen Rhaenys. In time, you will learn to predict her wishes, to sense her mood and to act accordingly. In return, I can promise she will care for you. You will have a good life as long as you do not disappoint”

“I will not”, Ellena said. “I'm tired of running. I'd like to stay in this life” Hemys nodded, before she sighed. “Ah, listen to me, you're probably frightened”, she said. “I make it sound worse than it is. Queen Rhaenys is not a harsh mistress. Easy to please, very hard to anger” Her smile faded slightly. “But pray you never see her angry. The rage of a gentle soul is a terrifying thing to behold”

She put a finger onto her lips as they entered another hallway. At the end of it, Ellena saw a single door. Three men stood before it, knights probably, but to be honest, none of them looked the part and as she approached them, she was glad Hemys was by her side, striding with confidence.

All three of them were tall, their physiques alone resembling Marak, albeit the one in the middle was a head taller, almost a giant in size. His head was shaven, the hair very short, as was the shadow of a beard on his broad, brutish face. On his cheek, there was a large, hideous scar, looking as if something had melted the flesh on it and his eyes stared at the two girls, the violet seeming lighter than what she was used to from the other Valyrians around.

Another man was a slightly familiar face, the bald, similarly brutish, yet soft-spoken Daghan Oxus. And the third, happening to be the youngest among the three, was not looking any less intimidating. His hair was short and of a golden colour, with his face covered in battle scars, some mere cuts, others deep and highly notable. As he stared at them, Ellena found herself instinctively looking away from the abyss of his eyes.

And yet, Hemys approached this man first, not that the other were much better in terms of how intimidating they were. “Hey Vahaegor”, she said and the knight awkwardly saluted. “Mylady”, he said out of a deep, calm voice. The man with the burn scar rolled his unsettlingly light eyes. “Tremendous, we have company”, he said, his voice collected and demanding, if slightly hoarsy.

Vahaegor shot him a glare, which the tall man merely shrugged to. “Could you be silent for a moment, Quingar?”, he asked and the man, Quingar, flashed him a grin. “It'd be my honour to be silent”, he said and his gaze met Ellena, who briefly had to suppress the urge to freeze in terror. She knew, Daghan Oxus wasn't too bad, while this Vahaegor, for as downright intimidating as he looked, actually gave Hemys a kind bow. Quingar though, he lacked even an ounce of kindness as he stared at her.

“Mylady, what are you doing here?”, Vahaegor asked. “Surely you must know, I am on duty right now” Quingar visibly suppressed a chuckle, while Daghan narrowed his eyes. “I hate to be the one breaking it to you, but I doubt she's in the mood for one of your talks”, he told him. “Not that anyone ever would, but it is a blessing for the rest that they don't have to marry you”

Hemys blushed slightly, clenching her fists as she stared daggers at the tall man. “Whereas I don't see your father doing any effort to get you married off at all, Qoherys”, she hissed. “Must be the downside of being utterly repulsive, eh?” Quingar's smile faded as quick as it came and both, Daghan and Vahaegor, moved at once to keep him from taking a step closer towards Hemys. Ellena had wisely taken a step away from the scenery already.

“Ellena, this is Vahaegor Caentaris, my betrothed”, Hemys introduced the golden-haired man. “Vahaegor, this is Ellena Terys, the newest of Queen Rhaenys' handmaidens” Though the mere colour in Vahaegor's eyes was still so unsettlingly dark that it almost seemed like his iris was nothing but a pitch black hole, he actually managed a kind smile. Still, if Hemys wouldn't be with her, she would have turned around and fled the scenery already. Sometimes, running was what kept her out of dangerous situations, away from people such as these three knights, neither of which she wanted to spend more time with than absolutely necessary.

“Mylady, it is my pleasure”, Vahaegor said and Daghan flashed her a smile. “I remember you, girl”, he greeted her. “Glad to see you're settling in” He put a hand onto Quingar's shoulder and despite his own size, it was about the same height as his head. “And this piece of shit is Quingar Qoherys, eldest son of Quenton”

“The pleasure is all mine”, Quingar said and though his voice was not without affability, his expression was a sneer. “What could the two of you want here?” Hemys looked at Ellena, who sighed, as she gathered her courage. “The queen has sent me to deliver a message to King Aegon”, she said.

Quingar shook his head. “The king is busy”, he told her. “Go and find someone else to play with” He was going to add something else, but Vahaegor cut him off. “Granted”, he said and Quingar raised an eyebrow. “Excuse me, did you not hear me?”, he spoke, his tone slightly irritated, but Daghan's fingers clenched into his shoulder. “And did you not hear the handmaiden?”, he growled. “She brings a message from Queen Rhaenys. Now, do you want to be the guy who prevents King Aegon from getting a message from his queen?”

Reluctantly, Quingar stepped aside, his massive body no longer covering the large door behind him. It was made out of thick, dark wood, with the torches illuminating depictions of dragons, flying, burning, devouring, then ruling over the ruins.

Daghan and Vahaegor moved to open it and behind it, Ellena saw a large, round room. Four windows on each corner, tall and wide, flooded it with light and from them, Ellena could see the island of Dragonstone and the surrounding sea. But what truly stood out was the table. She had seen large tables before, but this one was massive. Probably over fifty feet long, it had a peculiar shape that immediately caught her attention. Where other tables were even, with precise angles and polished clean, this one was jagged, dented and rough. It didn't look like a real table, but more like a map. And in this moment, Ellena noticed that she was staring at Westeros, an accurate depiction, carved into a single massive piece of wood. The Seven Kingdoms, with every castle, every city, river and mountain.

At the location of Dragonstone, there was a raised seat, almost a small throne and King Aegon sat on it, brooding, staring at the kingdoms he sought to conquer. He had something of a dragon in this moment, a predator staring at its prey.

The other men in the room were paying attention to the newcomers though. Ellena had come to know them all, as they sat around the table. Queen Visenya and Lord Velaryon, closest to the king, as well as Lord Rosby, accompanied by Quenton Qoherys, Gordar Celtigar, Iwan Bar Emmon and Grand Maester Wulvren, together with the advisers she had just met a few hours ago, Visedar Solus and Laevon Raelgaeron. Right on the other side of the table, directly opposing Aegon, stood Orys Baratheon, his gaze no less focussed, no less a dragon.

Wulvren raised an eyebrow as he recognized Ellena, but it was Laevon who spoke up first, his voice, since directly addressing the two girls, managing to drown out the discussion between Daemon Velaryon and Visedar Solus. “Hemys, what are you doing here?”, he growled coldly.

Hemys gulped, as she did a curtsy, her hand heavily squeezing Ellena's forearm, dragging her down with her to do the same gesture. “Father”, she greeted him. “Your Grace, mylords” Now, Aegon looked at them, briefly averting his gaze from the painted table. “Ellena here was sent to deliver a message”

Aegon narrowed his eyes, before his expression softened and Ellena, tensed up in the presence of so many great men, felt at least a tiny bit less insignificant now that he was fully noticing her. She was about to speak, when Quenton Qoherys cut her off. Staring at the table, his fist slammed down, right onto the Riverlands. “This is it!”, he growled and instantly, Aegon's attention was on him again.

“Daemon, you mentioned we don't have the men to take Harren head on”, he explained and Velaryon nodded. “Not if they march in full strength”, he replied. “The best we can hope for is to lead several smaller hosts into the Riverlands, blocking off cities and castles, defeating them one by one. If united, Harren Hoare commands the greatest army in Westeros”

A grin flashed over Quenton's face. “The largest”, he said. “By far not the greatest. Lord Rosby, you mentioned how your people hate the man” Regis Rosby nodded slightly. “Indeed”, he said. “It was part of why I knelt so readily” He looked at Visenya who smirked. “Alongside... even stronger arguments”, he added. “But as a matter of fact, the Riverlords hate just about everyone that is not one of them and each other as well. Once marching against us, they will fight, make no mistake and I am not sure if three dragons will be enough to defeat them”

“But if we prevent them from marching...”, Quenton began and Aegon's eyes widened. “We have to show them”, he agreed. “They think they don't have a choice but to serve the tyrant, to live and die on his whim” He slightly rose from his chair, staring straight at Quenton. “I'd say it is time they learn the truth. We give them a choice”

“And we break up Harren's army before he can even gather them”, Visenya concluded. “That'd take care of one king. There's at least two more of immediate concern though” She briefly glanced at Ellena, who suddenly felt entirely overlooked again, before Orys Baratheon demanded her attention. In a way, the girl wasn't too unhappy about this, because it was clear, what they were involved in here, it was important. More than her for sure.

“Leave Durrandon to me”, he growled. “I'll keep him busy, make it so that he focusses more on securing his borders instead of flanking our army in the Riverlands” Aegon nodded. “Meanwhile, Quenton and Gordar will ride deep into Harren's kingdom. My friends, I want you to visit every castle, meet with every last Riverlord and I want you to tell them what I can offer”

The golden-haired Gordar Celtigar slightly frowned at this suggestion. “What if they refuse?”, he brought up and Aegon sighed. “Some of them might”, he admitted. “But I have no doubt that many of them will choose us over the king they hate” He looked at his wife and then at Lord Velaryon. “In the meantime, I trust you two with our northern front”

“The Vale of Arryn can only be attacked by sea”, Velaryon claimed and Visenya smirked, as she put her hands onto the hilt of her sword. “I can think of at least one other way”, she added and briefly, Aegon shared her knowing smile.

Throughout this, Ellena was slowly taking a step back, as the nervousness came back. She had never been afraid to face danger, but this was something else. This was authority and each and every one of these people was involved in things so huge that she could barely begin to comprehend them. She wasn't exactly afraid, but it was in this moment, in the presence of Aegon and his council, planning to reshape the world, that she felt how insignificant her own life truly was.

They had acknowledged her presence, that was at least something, but all it took was a single input from one of his advisers and Aegon was fully focussed on his war again. But she was still standing there, with the now closed door behind her and only Hemys by her side. She had a message to deliver after all. In a way, she had been hoping for Aegon to give her permission to speak, but she wasn't sure if he was just planning to finish his talk with Visenya, or if he had actually forgotten about her existence.

As she looked at Hemys, the other girl shrugged, clearly not sure what to do in this situation either. Though perhaps two years older, she wasn't all that experienced herself after all and it became clear right now. Ellena clenched her fists, as she thought about what to do. Speaking up would be one way of delivering her message. Aegon had to hear her, but she wasn't sure if he'd be pleased. On the other hand, how long did he intend to make her wait until remembering that she was still standing there?

[Speak up] [Remain silent]

• [Speak up]

Alright, apologies for the longer wait. I was contemplating about putting in another PoV, as I usually intend to do, but the part is already

• [Speak up] She must deliver her message, this is what she came from and the king, even one as reasonable as Aegon, shouldn't be made wait, especially if it comes from the queen.

Now we know where the Guest's crappy personality probably came from. Rhaenys truly knows a side of Aegon we haven't seen, and it adds to the tragedy of what happened much later (spoilers if you haven't read The World of Ice and Fire)

• Now we know where the Guest's crappy personality probably came from.

Ah, you assume correctly! Quingar is indeed related to Gargon the Guest and he definitely is a piece of work, probably even more so. With him and a couple others, I want to show that Team Targaryen, like every side in this war, does inclue their fair share of crappy people. They do have a couple of truly good and well-meaning members on their team, such as Orys, Rhaenys, Regis, Wulvren and even Aegon in a way (at least in terms of being actually well-intentioned), but there's some legitimately crappy people inbetween and Quingar is one of them. It remains to be seen if he is the father of the Guest though, I can confirm that he has two siblings, the twins Quenrys and Gonelle (these two happen to be married, because Valyrians are weird), but even if he isn't, he's definitely an influence in terms of personality.

Rhaenys truly knows a side of Aegon we haven't seen, and it adds to the tragedy of what happened much later (spoilers if you haven't read The World of Ice and Fire)

Aye, I'd say Rhaenys knows sides of Aegon whom absolutely nobody else knows about, not even Orys and Visenya. I am actually not certain if she knows him the best or if that honour goes to Visenya (though I am actually leaning towards the latter), but there are aspects to him which he is really only able to show when he's with her. And well, I really have tons of fun teasing some things to come for the coming generation of Targaryen's in these parts =) Mostly though, I focus on stuff happening to the later generations of Targaryen, such as Aenys, Maegor, perhaps Jahaerys, so it won't be anything that spoils actual events in this story.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Speak up] She must deliver her message, this is what she came from and the king, even one as reasonable as Aegon, shouldn't be made wait, e

• [Remain silent] Hmm, I feel like Ellena should be tactful here. After all, the message she is there to deliver isn't exactly the most urgent one, and I could see Aegon or Visenya being annoyed at their important talk about the war being interrupted.

And speaking of the war, this part certainly increased my hype for all the incoming battles =) The war on Riverlands and the naval attack against the Vale are slowly getting closer, and I can't wait to see them. I'm also interested to see if one of our Riverlands PoVs will come across Quenton and Gordar :p

Alright, apologies for the longer wait. I was contemplating about putting in another PoV, as I usually intend to do, but the part is already

• [Remain silent] Cannot be rude or break protocol.

Saerya Waters, though they've grown to take on other duties

! (imagine hearing the Metal Gear Solid sound effect that usually accompanies that).

• And speaking of the war, this part certainly increased my hype for all the incoming battles =) The war on Riverlands and the naval attack against the Vale are slowly getting closer, and I can't wait to see them. I'm also interested to see if one of our Riverlands PoVs will come across Quenton and Gordar :p

Ah, I am glad you are hyped for these battles! I can confirm, we'll see more on both fronts in Book 2 and I do have some highlights planned for them, probably some of the most intense moments in the entire story. And well, when it comes to Quenton and Gordar and their little trip through the Riverlands... that is very likely, that we'll see how their mission goes and that one PoV will be there to encounter them ;)

[Remain silent] Hmm, I feel like Ellena should be tactful here. After all, the message she is there to deliver isn't exactly the most urgent

• ! (imagine hearing the Metal Gear Solid sound effect that usually accompanies that).

Huh? Just a box...

And well, Saerya hasn't always been the cunning Targaryen super spy. Born as a Velaryon bastard, she actually used to have normal duties for a girl her age, despite her not being a trueborn Velaryon. With their houses being very close, she took her first steps as Rhaenys' handmaiden, before Visenya noticed her intelligence and talent for manipulation.

[Remain silent] Cannot be rude or break protocol. Saerya Waters, though they've grown to take on other duties ! (imagine hearing the Metal Gear Solid sound effect that usually accompanies that).

• [Remain Silent]

• [Remain silent] Seems wise to wait for the 'King' to give you permission to speak, especially in the middle of an important meeting.

Ahh, Targaryens. How their mere presence angers me.

• ****(Remain silent)****

• [Remain silent]
    I want to hear more about the war.

• Haha, this actually souns like you dislike the Targaryen's even more than you already did before :D It's unfortunate, because they won't go away anytime soon in the next three hundred years (Although since Dany gives me major death flags I suppose your wish will eventually be granted). If Westeros is truly off for the better had they never existed to begin with... eh, debatable. You know, I am always surprised that you are so very much against them, but still manage to like Saerya. She's among Aegon's most loyal after all ;)

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Remain silent] Seems wise to wait for the 'King' to give you permission to speak, especially in the middle of an important meeting. Ahh, Targaryens. How their mere presence angers me.

• I still like the story and even consider some of them interesting characters. I like Rhaenys, Visenya and I find Aegon interesting though I wouldn't say I like him. And it's not like I want them wiped out! XD I just strongly disapprove of a lot of their actions. You bring up a good point about Saerya, though. I like her as a character so much that I sometimes forget her allegiance. But I think you can still really like a character and disapprove of some of their choices. You may recall that Alysanne was my favorite character. :p

Haha, this actually souns like you dislike the Targaryen's even more than you already did before It's unfortunate, because they won't go aw

• Apologies for my absence, I finally caught up with the story. Man, I missed the Targaryens, they're so exciting to read about. I'm currently translating the second chapter of act one and the people are already like "where are targaryens???". Really sorry to disappoint you, kiddos, but I've waited YEARS for that, you can wait too.

[Speak up]

• edited April 2018

Damn I forget to vote and read the last parts! Oh well,more reading for me!

[Remain silent] As a servant Ellena should only speak when adressed

RT:
    1) I'm really curious to read the encounter with Lady Shett and where things will go with The Hawk PoV since it have some interesting characters and made a peculiar situation that I don't expect in the War of Conquest
    2) Meanwhile reading Raenna part a question rise in my head..can a wolf become drunk?
    3) They literally stop the dinner (I think) to found Kory! I hope that he have a good excuse for that!
    4) Raenna X Samuel...bleah! I'm glad that they are a continent apart!XD
    5) At Dragonstone Ellena holded in her arms the future of House Targaryen
    6) Hemys gives to Ellena in this part some advices to be a perfect handmaiden
    7) We discover in this part that Saerya (and another character that is in the waiting list) was an handmaiden of the Queen
    8) It seems that Daghan together with the other two new characters are "The Heavy" of the knights of the Targaryen army! I like them!
    9) While I really like finally see Aegon and his council discuss their plan for the conquest at the table/map I can't not forget a certain scene that happen in that place centuries later
    10) This part really make hype for the next events of the story since: it put the base for the first actual skirmish between Stormlanders and Targaryen, show that Aegon is going to ignite even more the flames of the Riverlands rebellion and plan a naval battle against Vale!

I'm currently translating the second chapter of act one and the people are already like "where are targaryens???". Really sorry to disappoint you, kiddos, but I've waited YEARS for that, you can wait too.

Well said!And good luck for your translation!

• edited April 2018

[Stay Silent]

Could easily be a test to see if she would in fact risk angering Aegon to serve Rhaenys but I don't see little Ellena actually being able to do it yet without prompting.

Liquid, I get so excited Everytime we hit a Raenna part. I feel like a dog begging and rubbing all over the floor haha. Also, haven't posted in awhile but still here reading every update. :) Love how Kasyn is already suspiciousof the new arrivals in Raylainsfair. playing his cards close to hand though.

• [Speak up]

• Little Raenna? You mean Ellena? :p

Chaosjester posted: »

[Stay Silent] Could easily be a test to see if she would in fact risk angering Aegon to serve Rhaenys but I don't see little Ellena actua

• Ah, welcome back! I'm really glad to hear you consider the Targaryens exciting, as I definitely love to write about them. And I was actually going to ask how things are going with the translation, glad to hear it is coming along well :) And I know how that feels. I always knew the end of Book 1 would be the best point to introduce the Targaryens as major characters, I just never thought it'd take me that long to reach this point :D In retrospect, maybe letting people wait so long for some of the most anticipated characters in the story could have backfired spectacularly, but I think it ultimately all worked out as it needed to.

Apologies for my absence, I finally caught up with the story. Man, I missed the Targaryens, they're so exciting to read about. I'm currently

• 1) I'm really curious to read the encounter with Lady Shett and where things will go with The Hawk PoV since it have some interesting characters and made a peculiar situation that I don't expect in the War of Conquest

Ah, the next Hawk PoV will feature the beginning of this meeting! I'm glad to hear you consider the characters to be interesting. This whole storyline is something that grew out of the submitted characters, if the Hawk and his company as well as Octavia would have never been submitted, the whole thing simply would not exist, but with them around, I found a way to expand the story in that direction, so I hope it'll blend in nicely with the actual WoC.

2) Meanwhile reading Raenna part a question rise in my head..can a wolf become drunk?

Asking the real question right there, one of the great mysteries of our time. Google tells me that yes, wolves can indeed get drunk, though it is probably not advisable to give animals alcohol in general. It's all a matter of wether or not Giant can drink more than Roffe and that is something I myself have no clear answer for.

3) They literally stop the dinner (I think) to found Kory! I hope that he have a good excuse for that!

Well... possibly. At least some major dinner guests and the lord himself are leaving, but you can count on the remaining Umber's to be nothing but perfect hosts to Jorn and Malina. Kory has something to do right now, this much I can say, but wether or not it excuses his absence remains for you to be seen.

4) Raenna X Samuel...bleah! I'm glad that they are a continent apart!XD

Hehe, this is one of the reasons why I love writing for you all. I know there are several who love the pairing, so it is actually refreshing to see that this is not a one-sided opinion and that there's other views as well. These contrasting opinions are what I enjoy so much :)

5) At Dragonstone Ellena holded in her arms the future of House Targaryen

Yes, yes she does. Aenys, as the son of the dragon, is the future king of Westeros after all and he is a big reason why Aegon wants to conquer Westeros. It isn't just a desire for power or a wish to bring order and stability to the Seven Kingdoms, but behind all this, there is actually the rather personal wish to leave his son with something worthy of their Valyrian ancestry. Their kind has always been inclined to rule and though House Targaryen survived the Doom better than anyone else, the loss of their former influence leaves Aegon with the feeling that it is his duty to restore it, for his ancestors and for Aenys.

6) Hemys gives to Ellena in this part some advices to be a perfect handmaiden

And she is indeed the perfect teacher for that. Hard-working and dutiful, she is the best at what she does. There are other handmaidens, including Cassandra or the ones that came before, but they have different strengths, whereas Hemys is best at being Rhaenys' handmaiden. It cannot possibly be a bad idea to listen to her advice.

7) We discover in this part that Saerya (and another character that is in the waiting list) was an handmaiden of the Queen

That she was! It felt logical to give Saerya something to do before her talent as a Targaryen spy was discovered. I mean, it's not like she just graduated from Spy Academy, she was actively discovered and her talents supported, but before that, she necessarily had to have some position at Aegon's court. The other character mentioned here is Aena Solus, the daughter of Visedar, Aegon's adviser.

8) It seems that Daghan together with the other two new characters are "The Heavy" of the knights of the Targaryen army! I like them!

You are right. House Targaryen has several knights who fit such a role, but none better than Daghan, Quingar and Vahaegor. Neither has any high-ranking leadership position among the Targaryen army in the way Orys or Quenton have, but they are much more physical as a result. Quingar in particular is the physically strongest man on Dragonstone, even stronger than Daghan has been in his prime.

9) While I really like finally see Aegon and his council discuss their plan for the conquest at the table/map I can't not forget a certain scene that happen in that place centuries later

You mean that one time where Stannis ended up showing Melisandre his amazing table, huh? It can be assumed Aegon already realized that it might look great but is definitely not comfortable in the slightest. What it is actually good for is having a council meeting and planning the conquest of Westeros. I also go with the book description here instead of the show version, which means the table itself is a lot larger than its show counterpart.

10) This part really make hype for the next events of the story since: it put the base for the first actual skirmish between Stormlanders and Targaryen, show that Aegon is going to ignite even more the flames of the Riverlands rebellion and plan a naval battle against Vale!

Some of those might not be the immediately next events in the story proper, as preparations have to be made first, but in some cases you are correct. The next Targaryen warfronts are clear now: Orys will take his men to the Stormlands, to keep Argilac busy while the bulk of the army marches with Aegon against Harrenhal. Quenton and Gordar ride ahead in order to hopefully win the loyalty of the Riverlords without a fight. Meanwhile, Visenya and Daemon will focus on Crackclaw Point (where, among others, the seat of House Brune from Chapter 3 is located) and then, with the Velaryon fleet at their disposal and newly supported by ships from the houses Mooton, Darklyn, Massey and Bar Emmon, they will put their eyes on the Vale.

Damn I forget to vote and read the last parts! Oh well,more reading for me! [Remain silent] As a servant Ellena should only speak when ad

• Ah, I suppose Agent is right and you mean Ellena, yes? In that case, be assured, her next part will mark the end of your wait and introduce a character you have waited to appear for a long time now ;) And Kasyn, yes, he is currently gathering information, already suspicious, but keeping a low profile in order to make sure that when he makes a move, it'll be the right one. I can reveal that he has barely connected with Petyr and Maron yet, neither of the two knows what to make of him and that actually makes them nervous. We will see a lot more of him in the near future!

Chaosjester posted: »

[Stay Silent] Could easily be a test to see if she would in fact risk angering Aegon to serve Rhaenys but I don't see little Ellena actua

• Haha. That's what you get for responding at 4 in the morning lol.

• [Speak up]

• The Voting is closed!

Ellena is going to remain silent and wait for Aegon to allow her to speak

This is definitely going to give you a slightly more detailed description of the next steps in Aegon's plans, though I can assure you here, he has not forgotten about her presence and will certainly address her in time. He just tends to get carried away a little with this whole planning aspect, as you have undoubtedly noticed here. Ellena's next part will be an interesting one and I look forward to write it, hopefully relatively soon :)

The next part will be out either today or earlier tomorrow. There is the possibility that I'll meet a couple friends in the evening, which would leave me unable to complete the part in time, but in that case, most of it should be done and I should have no problem with completing it in a reasonable time tomorrow. This next part will return to the Riverlands and it will feature PoV's from Edrick and Garthon. Last time we saw Edrick, he was starting his task to win the trust of Normund Tavorch, the suspected contact of the Riverborn within the walls of Faronhall. Their casual talk was overheard by Gawayne, who intervened the moment he heard a slight against his person and promised to whip the one who did it. While Darreth was the one who actually said it, Normund was quick to take the blame onto himself, for reasons that will be revealed in the next part. Eventually, Edrick decided to intervene and take the blame though. Meanwhile, Garthon arrived in Raventree Hall, the seat of House Blackwood, together with Hjalgar, Christian and Gavin. There, he introduced himself to Petyr Blackwood, whom the Sons of the Trident seek to ally with, being introduced to his family and to his adviser, Maurice. Not quite trusting this man, Garthon requested to speak to Petyr in private, to reveal his true reasons for coming to Raventree Hall.

• edited April 2018

Edrick

Edrick tensed up, clenching his fists, as he finally spoke up. “It was me”, he pressed through his teeth. Both, Normund and Darreth shot him surprised looks, while Gawayne's smirk widened into a full grin. “I expected nothing less of you”, he said. “Your honesty is appreciated” He shrugged. “Unfortunately not enough to deny you the punishment you so readily earned. I'd say five lashes will teach you to keep your mouth shut”

This statement was delivered in a cold tone and Edrick looked at Normund, who seemed outright shocked at his action. Then, he took a step forward. “Well, what are you waiting for then?”, he growled. “We do it in here or you want to make it public?”

“Public”, Gawayne replied unsurprisingly, as he took a step aside, giving Edrick a sign to step out of the barn. The hedge knight was about to comply, when Darreth grabbed his arm. “Edrick, what are you doing?”, he hissed, but Edrick only shot him a glare. “Stand back”, he snarled. “I got this. I can take it”

While he had no doubt that Darreth could to, he wanted to spare the younger man this much. It wasn't the first time he was flogged. Likely wouldn't be the last. He could take it after all. The only regret he had about this was that he was undoubtedly giving Gawayne exactly what he wanted.

“Aye, you can”, the Ironborn confirmed. “You're a tough son of a bitch after all, are you not? Thinking you're invincible, a mountain of meat and muscles” He shook his head. “Maybe that'll teach you” He smirked thinly as Edrick walked past him. “You two as well. I want you to see this”

Knowing it would be futile, Edrick did not protest as he walked into the centre of Faronhall's courtyard. The sun was warming his skin and as he stood there, he noticed several of the thralls stopping their work to look at him. Poor, underfed souls and a fate he would share if he would not comply with Viveka's wishes. Several of the guards glanced into their direction as well.

“Since I'm such a nice guy...”, Gawayne began, as he pulled out a strip of leather. “I give you this. You're of no use to anyone if you bite off your tongue” Edrick opened his mouth and Gawayne shoved the leather into it. “Bite down”, he advised him and Edrick did just that. It was a surprising kindness considering what the Ironborn was about to do. The Skagosi had given him less than that.

At last, he knelt down, with Gawayne getting ready behind him. He heard the cracking of a whip, cutting through the air and echoing across the courtyard. “People of Faronhall!”, Gawayne proclaimed, to gain the attention of those present. As Edrick let his gaze wander, he noticed through a window the pale face of Sylvi Codd, her eyes widening, before she hurried away.

“Good people of Faronhall! This man here, this thrall, he thought it would be wise to speak ill of his masters!”, Gawayne continued. “Let this be a lesson to those of you who harbour similar thoughts. Five lashes, to teach him obedience! I hope you will enjoy the demonstration”

“Gawayne...”, Normund mumbled and the Ironborn shot him a vicious glare. “Shut up, or you're next”, he hissed in return, before Edrick felt a cold knife on his back. “I hope this one's not expensive”, the Ironborn whispered into Edrick's ear, as he cut the linen shirt from his body. “Though, by the looks of it, it's probably not”

Edrick tensed up, biting down the leather as hard as possible, knowing what would follow now. Forcing his eyes to remain open, he waited, as he felt Gawayne raising the whip. Then, a sharp, familiar pain flaring through his back, echoing through his entire body for a second and continuing to burn where he had been hit. Edrick groaned, suppressing an outright scream, unwilling to give Gawayne the satisfaction.

“You've been flogged before”, the Ironborn hissed, no doubt having noticed the faded scars on his back. “It's not a surprise you're taking it that fucking well then. Let's see how it goes...” Once more, he raised the whip and as he brought it down on Edrick's back, the pain was sharper than before, as part of it hit the already existing wound from the first strike. Tears shot into Edrick's eyes and anger rose, though he refrained from screaming. “Already learning a lesson, huh?”, Gawayne asked and Edrick stared at the ground in front of him. He had taken fifteen lashes from the Skagosi. Five from this rat, it was nothing in comparison.

“Gawayne!”, a woman called out and as Edrick raised his head, he spotted Sylvi Codd rushing down the stairs to the courtyard. There was anger in her eyes, as she glared at him. “What are you doing?”, she yelled and Gawayne hesitated for a moment. “I punish the thrall”, he explained. “For speaking ill of his masters”

“This is not your call to make”, she replied. “Viveka decides” Edrick glanced at Gawayne and he saw that the Ironborn shook his head. “This thrall insulted me, so she won't have any objections”, he growled. “Five lashes, two of which I have given him already”

“I object and so will Viveka”, Sylvi told him. “Our captain of the guard should do his duties instead of going around, punishing the thralls all day for his amusement” Gawayne raised an eyebrow, before he smirked. “Let the grown ups deal with this, little girl”, he told her. “Just get back to your knitting, or whatever it is you're doing all day”

Ignoring her, he raised his whip once more, this time bringing it down onto Edrick's back in rapid succession, delivering two strikes in the blink of an eye. And this time, Edrick screamed. Nearly spitting out the leather, he howled in agony, as the whip cut through the skin on his back, leaving deep, painful gashes.

“I said...”, Sylvi began, rushing towards them. The rest of her sentence got cut off by her own surprised scream and she instantly fell to the ground, the fifth strike never hitting Edrick's back. “Sylvi!”, Normund yelled, as he tried to rush past Edrick and Gawayne, only to be held back by Darreth.

Gasping and clutching the red mark on her cheek, Sylvi stared up at Gawayne and the Ironborn instantly dropped his whip. “Oh fuck...”, he mumbled. “Oh fucking hell...” Edrick narrowed his eyes, unable to hide the triumph in them as he noticed how utterly distraught Gawayne was at having hit Viveka's cousin, if only by accident. “You shouldn't have done this, girl”, the Ironborn spat. “Fuck, I didn't think you'd get that close”

“And I...”, Sylvi began, only to gasp in pain as she removed her hand from her reddened cheek, to inspect the blood that was pouring out of the thin cut. “I told you to stop” There was venom in her voice and anger in her gaze. “Seems I expected too much from a man like you”

Gawayne gulped, as he looked past her and as Edrick, still kneeling on the ground and unable to stand up without agonizing pain, followed his gaze, he noticed Viveka Codd herself slowly coming approaching them from the keep, tensed up, her hands crossed behind her back and her expression that of a hungry wolf.

“Mylady, I...”, Gawayne began to stutter, but Viveka cut him off simply by raising an eyebrow. “You hit my cousin”, she said and with a sigh, he nodded. “I told her not to get involved”, he said. “Didn't think she'd get that close. It was an accident, Lady Viveka”

Viveka looked at Sylvi, who was still cringing in pain. “And I thought he'd stop if I'd get closer”, the girl explained and Viveka smirked. “Seems you've both been wrong here”, she stated dryly. “Sylvi, this is why you don't go near a mad dog with a whip” The girl clenched her teeth, though her eyes slightly widened as she glanced behind Viveka's back, where the woman still held both of her hands.

“And Gawayne...”, she began, before suddenly moving a hand forward. The man howled in pain, falling back and clutching his cheek. Her knife had cut deep and only narrowly avoided his throat and his left eye. “You will never lay hands onto my cousin again, not even by accident. I know it's hard, but control yourself when she's close”

Gawayne mumbled something and coldly, Viveka inspected the bloody knife in her hand. “I cannot hear you”, she replied sharply and he went onto one knee. “I said, I beg forgiveness, Lady Viveka”, he pressed through clenched teeth. She smiled at him. “Granted”, she said in a flat tone, as she helped Sylvi up. “Everything alright?”

The girl nodded and Viveka briefly rested a hand on her shoulder. “Go inside now. Let the Maester have a look at that cut, then go to your room. We'll talk later”, she ordered. Sylvi sighed, looking at Edrick, who gave her a thankful nod, before her gaze wandered to Normund. She smiled thinly, before turning to the keep.

“And you... knight”, Viveka hissed, as she glared at Edrick. “What did you do to anger Gawayne this much?” He sighed, as he slowly struggled back onto his feet. Darreth and Normund both came to help, keeping him standing despite the pain that still flared through his back. “I complained”, he replied and Viveka's smile faded. “And how many lashes did you intend to give him, Gawayne?”, she asked.

The Ironborn, still clutching the wound she had given him, tried to stand firmly. “Five, mylady”, he replied and she raised an eyebrow. “The order is three”, she said and Gawayne shrugged. “I saw it fit to increase the punishment”, he stated. Viveka narrowed her eyes after this statement. “If you would have given him three, Sylvi wouldn't have intervened”, she hissed. “Think about it next time”

Gawayne frowned, as he looked at his blood-stained hand. “Will do”, he mumbled, before she nodded. “You may leave now. Continue your duties” She didn't have to say this twice, as Gawayne gladly left her presence. Finally, her cold glare hit Edrick and his companions. “And you... get back to work. Be glad I spare you the final strike”

“Mylady, I don't know if he can work”, Normund brought up. “He needs a healer, or else this can get really nasty” Viveka smirked at his words. “Do I look like I care, stableboy?”, she growled. “The work has to be done” With this statement, she turned away from them and began to walk back to the keep.

Edrick sighed, finding himself on shaky legs. If it wouldn't be for Darreth and Normund, he would have collapsed right there. Yes, he could take the whip, but that didn't mean he was any good now, after this ordeal. Last time he suffered such a beating, it took him days to recover. This one hadn't been as bad, but still... the thought of going back into that stable was nauseating.

“Are you alright?”, Darreth asked and Edrick shot him a glare. “Next time you keep your fucking mouth shut”, he growled and the younger man looked to the ground in shame and guilt. The hedge knight frowned as Normund placed a hand on his shoulder. “This was brave”, he spoke. “Taking the blame, I mean”

“You did the same”, Edrick replied and Normund nodded. “My father taught me to act the way I want others to”, he explained. “I... frankly, I was thinking Gawayne would give me a lighter punishment. He seems to have a particular hate for you newcomers” With this, he shrugged. “I guess I hope that good deeds pay off some day. Call me naïve, but if more would act this way, this kingdom wouldn't be as rotten as it is”

The knight sighed. “Naive, aye”, he replied. “But admirable” Normund smiled at this. “Listen, you're badly wounded. I don't think you should work right now”, he spoke and Edrick raised an eyebrow. “The Codd bitch wants me to”, he spat and Normund shook his head. “She wants the work done”, he explained. “You heard her, she doesn't care. Me and Darreth, we can do it together. Hells, I did the same task before all on my own. Meanwhile, you go and take a break, alright?”

Edrick thought about this for a moment. It was true, the pain was excruciating and a break would be more than welcome. At the same time, he wasn't sure if he should risk it. Not that Viveka would complain about that, he suspected that she indeed did not care who got the work done in the end. But he'd leave the whole situation with Normund up to Darreth, with no chance of intervening, no chance of actually contributing to the Riverborn situation. And that, after all, could be something Viveka would highly disapprove of.

[Continue to work] [Take a break]

Garthon

The request to speak to Lord Blackwood in private had raised some eyebrows, not only among the lord's family, but also among his own men. They had remained behind, with Garthon and Petyr moving to a secluded room deeper in the castle, a small writing room, located between the maester's quarters and the ravenry.

With a smile on his puffy face, he sat down on a chair, offering the one on the other side of the table to Garthon, who gladly took it. “So, what is so important that you have been unwilling to tell in front of my family?”, he asked.

“It's not your family I am concerned for, mylord”, Garthon replied. “But I don't think it should all be revealed in public. Someone could listen” Petyr raised an eyebrow. “You are talking about Maurice, huh?”, he deduced and Garthon gulped. “He's giving me a shady impression”, he admitted and the lord smiled. “He has this effect on many people”, he revealed. “But I can assure you, Maurice is a trusted adviser. He saved my sons' life once, years ago”

“What did he do?”, Garthon asked and Petyr, though still smiling, grew notably more sullen. “I'm talking about Walder here, my firstborn, the son I raised to be my heir for many years”, he explained. “Without Maurice and his warning, he'd be dead by now and for this, he will always remain my friend”

“Walder...”, Garthon mumbled, as he remembered what Edrick Rivers had told him. “I know he had to leave the Riverlands, but I don't know what happened exactly” Petyr nodded. “He had to leave, but at least I know he is still alive”, he explained. “It was done in anger, when the captain of the local Ironborn garrison took things too far with a girl from the village. Walder, he had taken a liking to her and I have never before seen him with that much rage”

“I suppose it didn't end well for the Ironborn”, Garthon deduced and Petyr shook his head, now briefly showing a proud smile. “My son has always been a warrior”, he spoke. “The captain and his second stood no chance. Yet it happened in broad daylight and two dozen men saw what he did. I was hoping they'd remain quiet, but it was a foolish hope, as word got to Harrenhal remarkably quickly”

Garthon raised an eyebrow. “You tried to sit it out?”, he asked in slight disbelief and Petyr sighed. “I admit that I am not a decisive man”, he spoke. “It hasn't always been this way, but in moments like this, I... I hoped desperately that I could sit it out, yes. That nobody would demand retribution, that Walder could remain by my side, my son and heir”

It was a naïve, yet understandable hope. “As I said, word reached Harrenhal faster than I could have ever guessed”, Petyr told him. “In retrospect, it turned out a servant was behind all this, sending a message to the king after sneaking into the ravenry. Maurice caught him the second time he tried it and as it turned out, the king was apparently planning to send men to Raventree Hall, to make my family pay in blood”

“For two murdered Ironborn?”, Garthon asked and Petyr shook his head. “Not just any”, he spoke. “Apparently one of them had been the bastard nephew of Reymand Orkwood. Harren looks out for his friends, so he gave in to Reymand's demands. He sent Harmund Hoare to my castle, with orders to return with Walder's head” Now, a brief, sad smile flashed over his face. “Without Maurice, the Hunter would have caught us by surprise. Now, when he came, he had to find out that I banished my own son a fortnight ago. Justice was served, in a way that was at least somewhat acceptable for King Harren. My son got to live, but as long as a Hoare would sit on the throne, he could never return” The Lord of Raventree Hall leant forwards, his eyes narrowed. “This is why I fight”

“In Harrenhal, they said you stopped paying your taxes”, Garthon spoke and Petyr nodded. “My first contribution to the fight”, he revealed. “The coin I no longer put into Harren's monstrous castle goes straight into my men, their equipment, their training. When the Riverlords call again, the army of Raventree will be ready to march”

With this, he tilted his head. “That being said, you haven't answered my question”, he stated. “What led you to Raventree Hall? More importantly, what is it you found yourself unable to tell me in front of my family?”

Garthon shot him a smile. “You are right, there's more to it”, he revealed. “Originally, I had no intention of ever getting involved in this war ever again. Torvin was murdered by Harren's agent during the raid, but I knew, revenge was hardly impossible. So, I wanted to leave this behind altogether” He chuckled, as he leant back in his chair. “The Drowned God had a different fate in mind and so, I found myself in the company of the Sons of the Trident”

Petyr showed no reaction, safe for his fists being slightly clenched. Silently, he nodded to show Garthon to continue. “And they convinced me. Torvin's legacy is worth fighting for. The spark he ignited mustn't die”, he said. To this, the lord smiled. “Well spoken”, he complimented him. “Well spoken indeed! Your brother has inspired many of us. With you by our side, perhaps more can rally to our cause”

Garthon sighed in relief. He had been slightly nervous at revealing his work with the Sons of the Trident to Lord Blackwood, but the man took it remarkably well. In fact, he seemed encouraged by this fact. “And your companions are members of the sons?”, he asked, to which Garthon nodded. “One of them, Gavin the Tall. Then there is Hjalgar, my friend and companion, who stood with me in Raylansfair, as well as Christian, our guide. Actually... he might prefer to leave eventually, if you grant it”

“Granted”, Petyr allowed. “He will be given food and water and means to return to his home. You and the Sons of the Trident though... Count me intrigued. I want to work with you” His enthusiasm was refreshing and Garthon found himself excited for this partnership. Perhaps together they could rally the Riverlords. They were a formidable army if united and the Ironborn had grown lazy at the top. Riverlanders made up the largest part of Harren's army. Without them, his power was gone.

“Whom else would support us?”, Garthon asked and Petyr grinned widely. “Bracken, surprisingly!”, he revealed. “Tytos is reasonable, for one of his kind. He wants peace between our houses and peace for the Riverlands. For this, we have agreed to end the fight between our families. We will march side by side and my Ethan will marry his youngest daughter, Lyra”

Garthon raised an eyebrow. “A union between Bracken and Blackwood?”, he asked and Petyr chuckled. “You cannot deny it holds potential”, he said. “Our two houses have prospered despite our quarrel. Imagine how the future can be with us working together. Perhaps future generations will hardly remember our past issues”

“A beautiful idea”, Garthon admitted. The Lord of Raventree Hall grinned. “Frey will support us as well, I have no doubt about it, after what Harmund did to his family”, he spoke. “And after Mallister's betrayal, Lord Piper has taken a more active role among the Riverlords. Rumour has it his daughter had a hand in his newly found courage. The only one I haven't heard from in months is Edmyn Tully”

Tully... Garthon sighed as he thought of the man. In a way, it had been Tully's fault. Dragging Torvin into his futile rebellion, he wasn't sure of he could ever forgive his involuntary role in the events that led to his brother's demise. And yet, he was the closest these people had to a true leader. If he remained quiet, what hope would there be for the other Riverlords? They needed someone to lead them and for all his enthusiasm, Garthon was certain that Petyr Blackwood was unqualified for this role.

“Last time I saw him, he ran back to Riverrun, his tail between his legs”, he revealed and Petyr nodded. “That's what I heard as well”, he confirmed. “Had the king at his mercy, but gave up for his daughter's sake” He sighed. “It isn't weakness, at least nothing I wouldn't show myself. But to think this could be over if Tully wouldn't love his children so much... it's one of the things that keep me up at night”

It was the same with Garthon, though in this case, he shook his head. “In his stead, we would have gotten King Harmund”, he spoke. “Not better in any way. Harren must die, but if we do this, we must get rid of his foul offspring as well” He felt a cold anger in his body as he brought up this plan, albeit it was tarnished by a sting of horror, as he realized how eager he was to kill these people.

“Sadly, I must agree”, Petyr stated. “The black line brought it onto themselves when they took our land. Only their blood can pay for what they stole from us” His smile was gone, yet there was trust in his gaze. “Together, we can take the first step to free the Riverlands”

Garthon nodded, just as determined as Petyr. “Where shall we start then?”, he asked and the Lord of Raventree Hall looked around the room. “Of course, we cannot fight alone”, he stated. “The other Riverlords are allies, yet I wouldn't say there is any love between us. If it wouldn't be for our common enemy, we'd probably fight among each other”

“Hail to the king then?”, Garthon asked, a slight jest to lighten the mood. Petyr smirked. “Over my dead body”, he growled. “As I said, Bracken stands by our side already. But we need to unite the Riverlords. For this, I have made early plans to contact the lords Frey and Piper, to invite them to Raventree Hall and to discuss our next steps”

“Then contact them”, Garthon told him, to which Petyr slightly shook his head. “Not both at once”, he replied. “If Brandon Frey and Elmont Piper travel to Raventree at once, the king will take note. Perhaps he will intervene and we are not ready for a direct confrontation yet. So, one after the other. I am just not certain whom to contact first”

Garthon shrugged. “I have met Frey before”, he said. “A wild man and harsh. He has been a legend about two decades ago” Petyr smiled. “He still is”, he assured him. “The best warrior in the Riverlands, but as you said, he tends to be wild, a bit unreliable even. I am not sure if I want to have him by my side first. Piper would be a more reliable choice, albeit slightly hesitant perhaps, a gifted diplomat, a man capable of bringing further houses to our side where Frey's power might fail to impress. At the same time, Brandon has never been shy to criticize our king, while Elmont has been largely neutral for the most part”

“Would you like to hear my advice?”, Garthon asked and Petyr nodded. “Aye, that'd be lovely”, he spoke. “Because as it is, my own advisers struggle with this. Maurice prefers Lord Piper, but my father-in-law, he has more respect for a warrior such as Frey” Frey or Piper... Garthon had only briefly met the former and never heard much of the latter, yet both seemed to be a good start for Petyr's planned alliance with the other Riverlords. Yet perhaps there was a third possibility. Edmyn Tully, the most powerful of them all... he hadn't done anything against the king since his attempt on Harren's life had failed several months ago. Perhaps he wasn't ready to fight, a waste of time. Or perhaps he was the best chance Petyr had to unite the Riverlords...

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Tully] [Tell Petyr to contact Lord Frey] [Tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper]

• [Take a break] He needs to regain his strength, and swallow his pride. Sylvi may be kind, but she's certainly a true iron born. Gawayne is going to pay dearly if he keeps letting his pride and cruelty to get the better of him.

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper] If House Piper has been neutral all this time, then Harren wouldn't care much, or simply see Elmont Piper as non-threatenening. On the other hand, Pinkmaiden is the farthest south, while Riverrun is the nearest.

• [Take a break]
    It's a small error, but just for clarification. Viveka and Sylvi are cousins, Sylvi isn't Viveka's niece.

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Frey]

• Sylvi may be kind, but she's certainly a true iron born. Gawayne is going to pay dearly if he keeps letting his pride and cruelty to get the better of him.

Aye, it's probably ironic that despite her having not the best opinion on her people, she does share some notable traits with them, especially when it comes to her stubbornness. She wouldn't exactly like to hear this comparison though. Gawayne meanwhile, he can be quite a piece of work. He has several years of dedicated service to House Codd going for him, but he is, all things considered, prone to act rash, especially if he is angry. We saw it here, he did not hold back when it comes to Edrick, Sylvi got wounded as a result and Gawayne lost massive points with Viveka and gained a pretty serious injury. Only time will tell how it will end for him, but if he continues like this, chances are he'll get what's coming.

If House Piper has been neutral all this time, then Harren wouldn't care much, or simply see Elmont Piper as non-threatenening. On the other hand, Pinkmaiden is the farthest south, while Riverrun is the nearest.

Yeah, House Piper would probably be the most sneaky option. Harren all but told Edmyn that he will keep an eye on him, while Brandon Frey is known to have a serious grudge against the royal family. House Piper meanwhile was indeed relatively neutral for a Riverlands house, with Elmont Piper being perfectly willing to have his heir marry Elaena Mallister. Arrec's betrayal was quite a bit too much for him though and by calling off this planned marriage and cutting off all contact with the only true supporter House Hoare has in the Riverlands, he effectively chose a side in the conflict.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Take a break] He needs to regain his strength, and swallow his pride. Sylvi may be kind, but she's certainly a true iron born. Gawayne is g

• Argh, I thought I had fixed it :D I noticed it while writing and changed it, but missed some instances, I see. It is fixed now though, thanks for the reminder! I suppose it is their relationship, with her taking on such a protective role, that makes me subconsciously think that Viveka is an older relative of Sylvi instead of a cousin, which in most cases implies a similar age. Then again, she is a decade older, so I suppose it is very fitting, I just, for some reason, always wrote niece when I meant cousin in this part XD

DiverseGnu posted: »

[Take a break] It's a small error, but just for clarification. Viveka and Sylvi are cousins, Sylvi isn't Viveka's niece. [Tell Petyr to contact Lord Frey]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.