Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited June 2018

[Talk in the presence of Dustran] Might as well if it gets on these two's good sides. I get that Vali is not well-liked, sort of a Ratbag to an Uruk warchief.

[Go to the southern gate] Might as well, although I think this Goodbrook guy is going to try and track us down

“Vali”, the armoured man growled, his voice lacking the warmth of his companion, instead it was loud and precise, almost shouting and a slight bit jarring. “What are you doing here?” Once more, Vali gulped audibly. “Dunaver”, he mumbled, nodding at him.

I liked how Vali is nervous, it's funny seeing him in bad spots.

I wonder if the yellow eyes in the shadows refers to Wolfius. Did the direwolf have them? I dunno, maybe it did, I forget.

Jenna It was simply too tempting and Jenna found herself weirdly drawn to this box. Though a bad feeling remained in her stomach as she j

• [Request to talk to Dunaver in private]
    [Go to the docks]

Jenna It was simply too tempting and Jenna found herself weirdly drawn to this box. Though a bad feeling remained in her stomach as she j

[Go to the southern gate] I've just finished watching Westworld and now for some reason I imagine Wildor looking like Ed Harris and also talking in his voice.

• I get that Vali is not well-liked, sort of a Ratbag to an Uruk warchief.

Ah, just wait until Vali teams up with a functionally immortal being of immense power to kill all of his enemies and become Warchief Vali ;) That being said, it is actually a surprisingly fitting comparison, at least in the way how someone such as Dunaver sees him. To him, a carefree trickster such as Vali is a legitimate annoyance and he really looks down upon him for his attitude and methods.

I liked how Vali is nervous, it's funny seeing him in bad spots.

Hehe, he certainly is nervous, albeit with Dunaver around, I'd say he has good reason to be. After all, that man can be quite intimidating if he wants to be and Vali's previous encounters with him have taught him that he's really not receptive for his particular brand of humour.

I wonder if the yellow eyes in the shadows refers to Wolfius. Did the direwolf have them? I dunno, maybe it did, I forget.

Another quite interesting guess. I can confirm, Wolfius' direwolf has yellow eyes, so this would not exactly be unthinkable either. Though there were way more than just one pair of eyes in this brief vision Jenna had.

[Talk in the presence of Dustran] Might as well if it gets on these two's good sides. I get that Vali is not well-liked, sort of a Ratbag to

• I've just finished watching Westworld and now for some reason I imagine Wildor looking like Ed Harris and also talking in his voice.

Fittingly, Wildor literally is a man in black, being a member of the Night's Watch and all :D While he does look nothing like Ed Harris, the most important difference being that he's actually about thirty years younger and full-bearded, I see no reason why he shouldn't sound like him. That being said, ever since seeing Westworld, Ed Harris has actually become the one I'd cast for Mullendore, I think he'd be perfect in terms of appearance and the sheer menace he can bring to a scene.

[Request to talk to Dunaver in private] [Go to the southern gate] I've just finished watching Westworld and now for some reason I imagine Wildor looking like Ed Harris and also talking in his voice.

[Go to the docks]

[Go to the docks]

• Isn't Mullendore too young for Harris as well? Anyway, I know that he doesn't fit into Wildor's appearance at all, it's just that his lines are something Man in Black would totally say in a given situtation, so I just can't unimagine this anymore.

I've just finished watching Westworld and now for some reason I imagine Wildor looking like Ed Harris and also talking in his voice.

• edited June 2018

Technically, he is, Mullendore is over a decade younger than Ed Harris. It's just that his facial scarring and a generally harsh lifestyle lead to him being able to easily pass as someone older. He definitely looks older than fifty. The picture I had in mind is Harris from A History of Violence, where he even has a disfigured eye not unlike Mullendore, though to be fair, that movie is almost 13 years old, back where they have been almost the same age. But after rereading the part with your input in mind, I must admit, I can't unimagine it either, the comparison between Wildor and the Man in Black is actually fitting in terms of lines and attitude. A complete coincidence, but definitely one I can see as well now.

Isn't Mullendore too young for Harris as well? Anyway, I know that he doesn't fit into Wildor's appearance at all, it's just that his lines are something Man in Black would totally say in a given situtation, so I just can't unimagine this anymore.

[Go to the southern gate]

• Again I'm back!Let's see what I miss!

RT:

1) Irae part was nice and have a really hard choice that I'm interested to read the outcome (that I will obviously complain since I don't have made that choice)
    2) Meanwhile at Westeros Sadie finally manage to enter inside Castamere (expecially the castle) and we finally meet again the other members of the Reyne family!
    3) Ah ah it seems that go around in a kingdom showing that you hate the rulers of it make the Forgotten seems not a trustworthy company of mercenaries..strange eh?
    4) I was really surprised (in a positive way) to discover Erik love of weapons in the last Keat part! And it was fun read their conversation about their previous employers!
    5) In this part Keat finally reunite with his own siblings and we finally meet again with Samuel (the Puffer one)! I hope for the guy to have a more relevant role of the one that he have at the previous book
    6) At Dorne instead Ysilla has a really nice dinner/lunch/whatever with her family where everyone love what Theodan decide to do (jokes aside I really like this part,expecially since each sides of the discussion can be considered )
    7) Heheh we have in this part many name drops! We have the families that wanted to make ties with the Allyrion (House Dayne, Fowler and Wyl),we have the leader of the sellsword company that Theodan work with (Nakarro) and even a certain bastard got mentioned (RIP)
    8) Meanwhile at Raylainsfair Jenna touch the box and I.... understand nothing about it
    9) Jenna and Vali have a surprise encounter with the Selwin family heir and the other member of the Order of the Green Hand! I'm curious to read what will happen 
    10) Ilish part instead wasn't something special but was still a nice read and I'm curious to see if she will meet Lawsen again (for probably the last time)

And now that I finish the RT I can finally disappear for at least another 5 or 6 parts!

But don't worry Liquid,before my exit here my votes:

[Request to talk to Dunaver in private]

[Go to the southern gate]

• Again I'm back!Let's see what I miss!

Ah, welcome back! I see it's been a good decision to leave this voting open until tomorrow. Not that I had much of a choice in it, with how utterly packed my schedule has been today and with how early I have to leave the house tomorrow, but at least I don't have to feel bad over not releasing the new part today then. Means it'll be tomorrow, but more about that when I actually close the voting :)

1) Irae part was nice and have a really hard choice that I'm interested to read the outcome (that I will obviously complain since I don't have made that choice)

Aye, a hard choice it has been, hopefully at least. It's really sort of a choice where you can have no idea which of the two options will lead to the better outcome, as there is relatively little, or probably next to nothing to actually go by when deciding. It can go either way and a gamble had to be taken. We will eventually see the outcome, this I can promise and everyone is free to complain or not :D

2) Meanwhile at Westeros Sadie finally manage to enter inside Castamere (expecially the castle) and we finally meet again the other members of the Reyne family!

Took me long enough, eh? Over three years for the Reyne family to reappear, but now they're here to stay. Perhaps to increase the excitement, I can reveal that they will interact with at least one other PoV in Book 2 as well, someone who is not Willfred, not Sadie, but still an already established character.

3) Ah ah it seems that go around in a kingdom showing that you hate the rulers of it make the Forgotten seems not a trustworthy company of mercenaries..strange eh?

I know, right? Mileena not trusting the guy with a known grudge against highborn, that is perhaps something that is hard to understand, but be assured, she has thought this through quite well. Though this is not the first time Leo and his people ran into conflict with the authorities over their opinions and every work they ever did for someone of high birth was done begrudgingly on both sides. That is part of the reason why Leo stuck with Gyles for so long despite being disgusted by the man. Gyles is not highborn, but he paid as well as a lord and it was really only this whole slavery and drug-addiction thing that drove their partnership apart, because harsh he might be, but Leo has standards.

4) I was really surprised (in a positive way) to discover Erik love of weapons in the last Keat part! And it was fun read their conversation about their previous employers!

Aye, character traits will be revealed! Erik is the weapons guy, he really has quite a liking and a great knowledge of them and how to use them. Actually, now that he has started, it won't be too easy getting him to shut up again. But I do hope to reveal much more about him in Book 2, given that he really only had two chapters to even appear in Book 1 and he had to share them with major characters such as Jaron, Harpy and Samuel Harrington, resulting in him being merely some background extra with no significant involvement in, say, the Burned Man's death or the Harrington brother fight. He'll be a more important character in Keat's storyline and he will even receive a little subplot of his own.

5) In this part Keat finally reunite with his own siblings and we finally meet again with Samuel (the Puffer one)! I hope for the guy to have a more relevant role of the one that he have at the previous book

Aye, another character who had to be sidelined in Book 1. With the narrative growing larger, I do find it easier to include more characters in a meaningful way. I also hope that the added experience I have since Book 1 makes it easier for me to give characters time to shine without the need to keep them around for several chapters first. Samuel Puffer will have a larger role in Book 2, especially as the choice that won made sure of that. With him being Keat's friend, he will also be more closely involved to the PoV as compared to Raenna and Ellena in Book 1, neither of which had any connection to speak of to him.

6) At Dorne instead Ysilla has a really nice dinner/lunch/whatever with her family where everyone love what Theodan decide to do (jokes aside I really like this part,expecially since each sides of the discussion can be considered )

Really glad that you liked this part! It was probably one of my highlight of the chapter so far, to be honest. As much as I like action parts, dramatic twists and developments, sometimes all I need to get my fun out of the writing is a family dinner in which tensions run high. I am particularly glad I made a situation there where each viewpoint is one that can be legitimately considered, that is very much what I wanted to achieve.

7) Heheh we have in this part many name drops! We have the families that wanted to make ties with the Allyrion (House Dayne, Fowler and Wyl),we have the leader of the sellsword company that Theodan work with (Nakarro) and even a certain bastard got mentioned (RIP)

Name drops, name drops everyone! You get a name drop and you get a name drop and you get a name drop! Jokes aside, that is the consequence of having so many characters. Some of them need to be mentioned first, if only to make the world feel believable. While I doubt many will remember Garret Fowler, for example, who received only a small mention here, I do hope that such repeated mentions will eventually lead to you being like "Ah, it's that guy" when the character finally appears. Top of that, think of all the build up I can already do for a character just by mentioning them, such as Lupin, who is pretty much a well-established character already despite having only been mentioned so far. In this part, I did some work ahead for future parts of the Dorne storyline, as the mentioned characters are for certain planned to appear. That is, aside from Lucas, I'm afraid :'(

8) Meanwhile at Raylainsfair Jenna touch the box and I.... understand nothing about it

Not much of a surprise, I did not expect anyone to understand much about this box and why it reacted to badly to Jenna, but not to Vali. This is something I will at least hint about as the time goes on. For now, let it be known, the box is clearly affected by some sort of magic and it is really ancient magic, the sort that was capable of keeping its power even after the Doom of Valyria and the general decline of magic in the west. Anturion wants it, which makes it likely this power can at least be used for something unpleasant. And the box does seem to have a bit of a mind of its own, which I will show a lot more about as time goes on.

9) Jenna and Vali have a surprise encounter with the Selwin family heir and the other member of the Order of the Green Hand! I'm curious to read what will happen

And I do hope these two Selwyn characters managed to avoid the all too easy trap of being too similar to the Trump family and staff members they have been somewhat based on in their submission :) Probably helps that they are so different that I doubt anyone will correctly guess whom the counterpart is. Well, Dustran might be able to be guessed by his position in the family alone, but Dunaver should be the hardest and I legitimately doubt anyone will come even close. Told you I do have the goal of making them their own characters, now all I have to do is to succeed with that when it comes to the lord himself ;) No doubt that'll be something that will be achieved as well in time though!

10) Ilish part instead wasn't something special but was still a nice read and I'm curious to see if she will meet Lawsen again (for probably the last time)

Yeah, it probably was not the most important part around, but it was necessary to get a transition between her previous part and her next. Really glad to hear you considered it a nice read though! Important things have been set into motion and I have the eventual goal of making Ilish's storyline a favourite.

And now that I finish the RT I can finally disappear for at least another 5 or 6 parts!

So, it's kind of a hi/bye situation, huh? Just kidding, you do yours and I am always happy to read your comments, be that in one, five or ten parts, whenever it works. Good luck with what you're currently doing, see you around eventually :)

Again I'm back!Let's see what I miss! RT: 1) Irae part was nice and have a really hard choice that I'm interested to read the outcome

[Go to the docks]

• The Voting is closed!

Jenna is going to request talking to Dunaver in private

Ilish is going to go to the southern gate

The first vote had a pretty obvious outcome and the one I expected, even if I would have liked to show you a bit more of Dustran, whose involvement in Jenna's part will be cut a bit shorter than it would have with the other option. Meanwhile, Ilish's choice was nearly tied and here, it remains to be seen which outcome your favoured option will have.

Now, the next part should be ready today. Thing is, it is already pretty late and I am not currently at home, but on my phone, attending a brief celebration for my father's 60th birthday. It isn't a big party, that one will certainly follow in July, but I will nonetheless be preoccupied for another couple hours before returning for good. However, I made good progress with writing today and yesterday and I should be able to finish the part before heading to bed tonight and as such, I feel confident with closing the voting here. This next part will feature a Pov from Ellena, but she might not be the only one. I am not certain who will be the other PoV to appear in this part, I suppose I will see, though Willfred is a likely choice. For now, Ellena is the one I can confirm. Her part will continue right where her last one left off, in the presence of Aegon Targaryen and his war council, whom she was supposed to deliver a message to, namely that Rhaenys intends to be absent during this meeting, preferring to spend time with her young son. Meanwhile, in Willfred's latest part, he witnessed the arrival of Donnel Selwyn and his family. While following them into the Great Hall, we was interrupted by Maron Mullendore and Devrin Oakheart, who both wanted to talk to him, an offer he eventually accepted.

• Alright, part's here, a bit later than promised, which is mostly because there wasn't actually the time I needed after returning from my father's birthday celebration yesterday. However, I do hope the longer wait won't bother you too much, I'll try my utmost to get the next part done sooner again :)

Ellena

Glancing around, at Hemys, the king's advisers, finally at Aegon himself and taking a deep breath, she made her decision. “Your grace!”, she said and in an instant, they all were silent. Knights and lords and the Dragon King himself, looking at her, some in surprise, others in disapproval, Hemys in shock. Aegon's own expression was harder to read. “Yes?”, he asked, as if she had started a casual conversation and not interrupted his war council.

“Uh...”, she began. “I do have a message for you” She looked around, noticing how Hemys' father, Laevon, was looking at her with particular disapproval, his eyes narrowed sternly. Visenya seemed outright angry, though aside from clenched fists and a terrifying glare, she remained silent, as the king gave Ellena a moment of his undivided attention. His gaze was calm and serious, but that made it all the more unnerving than Laevon's strictness or Visenya's anger.

“Spit it out already, girl”, the queen growled, while Aegon merely raised an eyebrow. Finally, Ellena took a deep breath. “Queen Rhaenys sends me”, she revealed. “She wishes to inform you that she won't attend today's meeting” She paused, looking at Hemys, who slightly raised an eyebrow, before she tensed up. “Ah, and she wishes to inform you that she will spend time with her son instead”

Visenya sighed. “Figures”, she mumbled, though Aegon actually smiled, if slightly. “How thoughtful of her”, he replied, seeming genuinely pleased. “Thank you for telling us” He seemed to be about to dismiss them, before he hesitated. “Actually, you can tell her something in return, something concerning you and your fellow handmaidens as well”

To this, Ellena raised an eyebrow, only then realizing how cocky it must seem. While Visenya's expression soured, Orys Baratheon smirked slightly. Aegon meanwhile remained as unmoved as always. “You can prepare to travel”, he informed her. “After discussing these matters with my advisers...” As he spoke, he glanced at Lord Rosby in particular and the man nodded. “I have decided to move my seat to the newly built outpost at Blackwater Bay. It is my command that my family and my household will live there from now on. The fortress I intend to build will hold my court and my throne, from which my son and his sons will rule when I am no more”

“The Aegonsfort, as they already call it”, Rosby added. “Sure, it might not look like much and if I estimate Queen Rhaenys correctly, she...” He paused as Visenya shot him a meaningful glare. “Ah, what I mean to say is, it is the future. A city in the making. King Aegon's first stronghold in Westeros and his most important”

Ellena gulped. “I... think I can tell her...”, she began, but this time, Hemys interrupted her. “Of course we will, your grace”, she said firmly, even saluting slightly, her determined tone causing Orys and Gordar Celtigar next to him to chuckle. Her father however seemed pleased and he gave Hemys a small nod, which caused the girl to smile with pride.

“Good”, Aegon confirmed. “Tell her to pack as much as she requires. It is supposed to be a home, for her and for our son, so I want her to take whatever she desires” He hesitated and Ellena once more noticed how he seemed to do that around his queen, as if all his will, his determination mattered not when it came to Rhaenys.

“She will object”, he stated and Visenya nodded slightly in agreement. “When she does, tell her that I don't want our son to grow up in this castle. She'll understand” He sighed. “Eventually” Taking Hemys' example, Ellena saluted. “We will tell her, your grace”, she promised and now, Aegon gave her a very thing smirk. “I can tell you will”, he agreed. “For now though, I have to ask you to leave my council meeting. Unless, of course, you wish to spy on military secrets”

This caught Hemys off guard. “Spying?”, she stuttered and she gave Ellena a sharp glare. In return, Ellena caught the hint of sarcasm in Aegon's voice and she smirked. “We'll leave”, she confirmed, though Orys Baratheon stopped her by raising his hand. “You better do”, he told her. “Allow my squire to escort you back to the queen's quarters. Asher!”

Ellena hadn't noticed the boy before Orys called for him and he moved into her field of view from behind a cupboard. He was roughly her age, perhaps slightly older, with short hair of a light golden colour. Relatively tall, he was nonetheless slim, his skin milky white and his features, while quite handsome on their own, did little to make him stand out much in her opinion.

“Ser?”, he asked, hesitating a bit as he glanced at the two girls and then at Orys. “I want you to escort the ladies back to Queen Rhaenys”, the knight informed him and a frown appeared on Asher's otherwise stoic face. “I...”, he began, before pausing and nodding firmly, if clearly unhappy with this order. “Of course, Ser!”

“Good kid”, Orys spoke, as Asher approached Ellena and Hemys. Still slightly frowning, he just walked past them. “Well, follow me then”, he mumbled. “Wouldn't want you to get lost in this castle” With this, he walked out. Ellena took a look at the king, who dismissed her with a nod.

Even before she was out herself, Aegon was already back with his council, fully consumed by his coming war. “My shield, my stalwart, my strong right hand”, he spoke warmly, looking at Orys. “Bring me the Stormlands and you shall have any castle you desire”

Those were the last words Ellena heard, as she walked out of the room and into the long hallway that led away from it. Asher was waiting there, as were the knights, Daghan, Quingar and Vahaegor. The latter of which managed to sport a polite smile, as he gave Hemys a nod. “Back already, mylady?”, he asked, to which she responded with a nod of her own, cold and brief.

Quingar chuckled. “Certainly not for you, Caentaris”, he growled. “What is it, girl? Didn't want you in there, huh?” His gaze fell upon Asher. “And I see Baratheon kicked his useless squire out as well”, he added, though the boy was calm enough to ignore him.

“We did what we came for”, Hemys replied towards Vahaegor and the knight smiled. “I am pleased to hear this, mylady”, he told her. “Maybe we can talk this evening? The gardens?” Hemys sighed, though she did not shake her head. “Perhaps”, she spoke. “For now, excuse me, we do have to return to the queen”

And so they started to walk down the hallway, with Hemys raising an eyebrow. “Asher”, she said at last and the boy glanced over his shoulder. “What is it?”, he asked in return and she gave him a slight smile. “Asher Velaryon, isn't it? Ser Orys' squire?”

“Yeah”, he replied in a slightly bored tone. “Though it seems I'm more his cupbearer than anything else. Surely not good enough to keep me around for the war council. Guess they get to the exciting stuff now” He sighed, as he looked from Hemys to Ellena. “I do know you”, he spoke, towards Hemys. “But you're new. Not from Westeros, huh?”

Ellena raised an eyebrow. “Could be from Dorne”, she brought up, but he shook his head. “The accent”, he replied. “A hint of it. Your Westerosi is quite good, but not perfect” He shrugged. “I'm Asher. Your name's?”

“Not Asher”, Ellena replied and Asher rolled his eyes, to which she smirked. “It's Ellena Terys and you're right. I'm not from Westeros” She gave him a nod, as the three continued to walk down the hallway. Curious about this boy, she raised an eyebrow. “So, you're Baratheon's squire, huh? Any idea why he kicked you out? I mean, me and Hemys we should find the way, I think he knows”

Asher's frown grew stronger, as they walked down a set of stairs. “Probably because he doesn't trust me enough”, he admitted. “Thinks I'm too young to keep secrets” He shook his head. “He knows I'm smart. I'm probably better than half of the men in that room. Daemon Velaryon is a joke and what does the Maester know about war? He hasn't even studied anything but magic”

“I do think the Maester knows a lot about it”, Hemys brought up, while Ellena was a bit less convinced. She knew Wulvren perhaps better than these two and he had never appeared as much of a tactician to her. “I mean, he is the Maester after all. Grand Maester”

Asher shrugged. “You should hear him talking”, he spoke. “Nothing like your father, if I may say so. Now, that's a man who knows how to fight a war” Hemys smiled slightly, though Ellena noticed that she was hesitating to reply. “He did prepare for most of his life”, she said. “Ever since the old Dragonlord brought it up first”

Nervously, Ellena glanced up the stairs they had just walked down from. The topic of war, it still did not sit right with her. There was a disturbing excitement for it, hailing from the stories her father used to tell her, about the Andals and their wars against the First Men, about Nymeria and her Rhoynar fighting against the kings of Dorne, about Harwyn Hardhand crushing the Storm King's might. But there was also dread, especially now that dragonfire was involved.

With this, she noticed the sudden intrigue in Asher's gaze and he stopped. “You know the way”, he spoke, as he clenched his fists. “Fuck, he just wanted me gone” He shook his head. “I should learn about this if I am to be knighted one day” He looked from Ellena to Hemys with all the defiance a boy their age could muster. “I won't have it. And I know what I'm going to do now”

Hemys raised an eyebrow. “And what will that be?”, she asked half-heartedly, to which Asher shot her a crafty smirk. “You know what's below the war room, aye?”, he asked in return and after a moment, Hemys' eyes widened. “You don't mean to...”, she mumbled, but Asher nodded. “I'll go through Ser Orys' room. Have the keys right here. The balcony's right below one of the windows. From there, I can hear”

“You mean to spy on the king's council?”, Hemys hissed, to which Asher shook his head. “I mean to listen to what I have to learn either way”, he corrected her. “It's not spying if you do it for yourself. What's it, Lady Hemys. You don't want to go?”

Instantly, Hemys shook her head. “This is nonsense!”, she protested. “And dangerous. What if anyone catches you?” Asher chuckled. “Who would?”, he asked in return. “Not like Orys gets many visitors” He looked at Ellena. “And you? Are you not at least a bit curious what they are talking about?”

Truth be told, Ellena was. Her first impulse was to agree, reckless as it was, to go with Asher and to listen to the king's council. Rhaenys didn't need her right now, did she not? Then, she looked at Hemys, who shook her head. “You should not do that”, the older girl warned her. “I'm not a snitch, but if they catch you, that won't be worth the thrill. Just come with me and stay out of this. The war does not concern us”

[Go with Asher] [Go with Hemys]

Willfred

Maron Mullendore had taken over the room below Lord Petyr's, previously the one Harris Flowers had resided in. In the two months following the old castellan's death, his successor had taken steps to make the room his own by all means. Willfred had been there when the servants had carried out Harris' collection of books, locking them away in some other part of the castle, for Maron to refurnish the room as it pleased him.

The result made the room seem larger than it truly was, as well as more comfortable. Maron had traded a bookshelv for a small settee, located next to a round table with an extra chair, which was where he had taken place, leaving the settee for Willfred and Devrin Oakheart.

The moment the knight was able to put his wounded body onto the chair, he sighed with relief, placing the cane he required to walk right next to him. It was hard for Willfred not to feel sympathy for the man right then, despite the uneasy feeling he had around him. A veteran, who had given everything for his kingdom, crippled in combat. For this, he was to be respected at least and Willfred could only aspire to give the same if required of him.

Devrin Oakheart gave him a friendly smile and Willfred replied in kind. “I doubt you can remember, but we actually have met before”, Devrin spoke and Willfred raised an eyebrow. “I indeed cannot”, he replied, tilting his head. “Enlighten me, mylord”

“It's been almost twenty years ago. You've just been born back then, when I accompanied my sister to Castamere”, Devrin explained. “Elaena, I mean. Lady Swyft, as she was already known back then. I still remember the evenings I spent with your father by the fireplace, playing dice and discussing the state of our respective kingdoms”

Willfred smiled at the thought. “I can hardly imagine my father playing dice”, he brought up, to which Maron chuckled. “War changes a man and your father has been through enough for two lifetimes, if I may say so”, he stated, as he reached to the cupboard next to him, without actually getting up. He pulled a carafe out of it, followed by three finely crafted glasses.

“Arbor Red”, he spoke, as he filled them. “A fine drink for a fine occasion” Willfred and Devrin each grabbed one of the glasses, raising it at Maron's command. “To the future!”, the knight roared and Willfred chimed in. “To the future!”, he agreed, glancing at Devrin. Lord Oakheart hesitated a moment. “To family!”, he added, another reason for Willfred to drink.

“This might be the best occasion to reveal it, but I actually could have been family to you, Ser”, the lord stated and Willfred raised an eyebrow. “First time I hear about this. What do you mean?”, he asked. Devrin's smile became wider and warmer. “Do you remember your great-aunt Catelyn?”, he began and Willfred shook his head. Indeed, he had never met his grandfather's younger sister, for Catelyn Reyne had died in childbirth, barely two years after her marriage to the late Lord Drox and before Willfred himself had been born.

“Ah, me and Cat had been almost promised to each other”, Devrin continued. “In fact, I would have gladly married her, making me kin to your family” He sighed and his gaze wandered off, though his smile remained. “That was thwarted when I met my Lydia. A Stormlander, aye, but our love survived the hatred between our kingdoms” With this, he looked back at Willfred. “Still, I have always considered myself a friend to your house”

Now, Willfred reciprocated the smile. Helenys had warned him about Maron and he had to admit, something about the scarred knight was off, making him hesitant to fully trust him. But there was something genuine about Devrin Oakheart, a familiar warmth, as if they had known each other for ages.

“I am happy for you, mylord”, he stated. “Albeit my great-aunt surely would have been lucky with a man like you by her side” Devrin chuckled and nodded. “I was pleased to hear of your presence in Raylansfair”, he stated. “While we had no chance to talk during my visit by King Mern's side, I hope things will be different this time, for I believe we can help each other”

To this, Willfred leant forward with interest. “How so?”, he asked and now, it was Maron who spoke. “It is about the future”, he spoke, his voice firm, deep and foreboding, making Willfred listen in an instant. The knight took a sip from his cup, smirking at the strong taste. “See, boy, there's big changes coming up in the world. Valyria stirs one last time and the world won't be the same when the last dragonlord has taken his final breath”

“You seem to be pretty convinced he'll lose”, Willfred brought up and Maron nodded. “As should you if you love your kingdom”, he told him. “Because Aegon is to all Westeros what Nymeria was to the blasted dornish. A bloody warmonger who will destroy lineages from the Dawn of Time if he isn't stopped” Willfred gulped. “Though unlike Nymeria, he has three fully grown dragons at his command”, he replied. “I heard of what they can do”

“Everyone has”, Maron stated. “And yet, they can be beaten. They have been beaten before. Even those dirty Rhoynar have killed dozens during their wars with the Freehold. Aegon Targaryen is a relic. Every king in Westeros can lose ten thousand men without even flinching and yet, if Aegon loses only a single dragon, the blow dealt will be devastating”

Willfred nodded. “And how do we defeat a dragon?”, he asked. Now, Maron's smile turned more devious. “Through strength”, he proclaimed. “And unity. For too long have our kingdoms quarrelled with each other. It is clear that only strong alliances can prevent that foreign butcher from burning us all. Reach and Rock, side by side”

“Our kingdoms are allied”, Willfred spoke and Maron smiled. “And I would like the alliance to grow further”, he finally said. “This is why I have spoken with Devrin, why we have decided to approach you” He took another gulp from his cup, this time emptying it. His hand quickly moved to the carafe again, pouring himself another one. “Boy, I know why you are here. And I would like to support you. I would like to send my men, my own men, to protect your southern border from the Ironborn menace”

As pleased as Willfred was to hear these words, he had hesitate. For over two months, they had been together in Raylansfair now and this was the first time Maron actually approached him. He had to wonder, how deeply was the seemingly kind Devrin Oakheart involved in all this? Had this been his idea all along? And what actually was his connection to Maron and Petyr.

“But?”, he asked and Maron chuckled. “Clever boy”, he complimented him. “There's always a catch and I am afraid it's no different this time” He smiled to himself, glancing at the glass in his hand. His leg started to shiver and he had to place his hand on top of it to make it stop, something that caused his smile to vanish and a frown to appear instead.

For once, Willfred shared the frown. “What is it you want me to do?”, he asked, still hesitating and Maron leant back, his smile slowly returning. “I want to know if I can trust you”, he stated straightforwardly. “See, I want to be an ally to the Rock, but I want you to be reliable first and foremost. Why should I send my men into danger when I cannot be certain to gain something from our little alliance?”

“And how can I prove that you can trust me?”, Willfred asked, slightly clenching his fists. As comfortable as he was talking with Devrin, something about Maron always unsettled him. He knew, the man's help could be valuable. At the same time, Helenys' warning was fresh. The woman wanted Maron gone, wanted a rift between him and Petyr Vyrwel. The very same man who was suspiciously absent from their meeting right now...

“By helping me with uncovering a great threat, a traitor in our midst”, Maron growled. “See, I want reliable allies and I mean it. I want to know exactly whom I can trust and how far those around me will go to get what they want. I want to learn of potential enemies before they can make their move” He exchanged a look with Devrin. “One man whom I am not sure I can trust is none other than Lord Vyrwel”

“Lord Petyr?”, Willfred asked, his heart beating faster all of a sudden. This was big, oh by the gods, this was tremendous. “But you are his ally, his castellan” Maron shook his head. “Yeah and in that function, I have caught some disturbing rumours. I fear for Petyr's loyalty to the Reach. Don't know whom he is working for, don't know why, don't even know if I'm right, but my own investigation has gained quite some suspicion. Can't make another move without him knowing and if I find out something dangerous, you can bet my head will be the first to roll”

Slowly, Willfred understood, but he wanted to hear it from Mullendore himself. “And how can I help with that?”, he asked. Maron smirked thinly. “You are independent and you have goals of your own. I know Petyr wishes to approach you soon and if my suspicions about him are true, he will try to manipulate you”, he growled. “I want you to be smart. Don't be manipulated, boy”

“Instead?”, Willfred asked, raising an eyebrow. Maron took a deep gulp from his glass. “Instead, I want you to work for me. Help me and Devrin to do what we cannot do on our own”, he explained. “When you speak to Petyr, try to learn about his true motives, then come straight to us and tell us about it. Be honest with us, so that we can see how far we can trust you. Then, you shall get your army” He extended his hand, giving Willfred a deep look. “Can you do that for us, boy?”

[Agree to help Maron and Devrin] [Refuse to help Maron and Devrin]

• [Go with Asher] While they could get in serious trouble, I want to hear the rest of the council. I still find awesome the way Aegon named Orys his Hand. Asher Velaryon, he's certainly the least impressive member of the house seen so far.
    And I think the vote for the previous chapter was, "wait to be allowed to speak"

[Refuse to help Maron and Devrin] There will be other chances, and Will is very right about distrusting Maron, since we know how low he can sink when angered, and while Devrin is certainly ruthless, the kindness he showed seemed sincere, at least most of it.

Alright, part's here, a bit later than promised, which is mostly because there wasn't actually the time I needed after returning from my fat

• edited June 2018

[Go with Asher]

You get to glimpse Orys Baratheon's room, talk some more with his squire, AND hear the rest of the war council. No brainer. Also Eeeeeeeee, Asher! :P

[Refuse to help Maron and Devrin]

He's waited this long for troops and as he said himself, to suddenly be sent help but only if he helps them would annoy me to no end.

• [Go with Asher] It is a dumb choice but I'm curious to read the rest of the war council

[Refuse to help Maron and Devrin] While I'm sure that this choice will be make the heads of the Cerberus take a different approach (expecially the crazy one) I think that it will be worse accept the offer and then betray them (and since we know their true allegiance leave their soldier at the Rock borders could only be a problem)

RT:

1) Ah ah Ellena should have expected that attention!
    2) It seems that we will soon leave Dragonstone as a location
    3) Since he want to disobey his knight orders,enter without permession in his room and spy the war council I can safely say that Asher is the worst squire of the Targaryen army! XD
    4)Meanwhile at Raylainsfair I really like the conversation between Willfred and the members of the triumvirate (expecially Devren leave me a really good impression and I like how he use the "I know your family" card to obtain Willfred trust)
    5) Oh oh there is distrust between the heads of the Cerberus! However I'm really curious to read what will Petyr say at our PoV

Alright, part's here, a bit later than promised, which is mostly because there wasn't actually the time I needed after returning from my fat

• [Go with Asher]
    [Agree to help Maron and Devrin]

• While they could get in serious trouble, I want to hear the rest of the council. I still find awesome the way Aegon named Orys his Hand. Asher Velaryon, he's certainly the least impressive member of the house seen so far.

Hehe, it is tempting, isn't it? Dangerous, but tempting. I can promise, there will be more war council to follow if you pick this option. When it comes to Asher, he is, most importantly, one of the youngest members of House Velaryon, not a famed knight such as Rahaerys, or the Grand Admiral of the Fleet, such as Daemon. He hasn't done anything impressive so far, but that only fuels his ambition, to live up to the Velaryon name.

And I think the vote for the previous chapter was, "wait to be allowed to speak"

Aaaaah, damn it! Not again! I think by now, I really need some kind of a reminder about the winning choice, because it happened way too often this chapter. It's weird that it happened never before, but three times in this chapter alone and I am really not sure why this keeps happening. Perhaps I'll do sort of a google document for myself where I put in all the winning choices and have them there without having to go through several pages trying to find the part itself. In this case at least, the outcome wouldn't have changed much, Aegon was actually just about to give Ellena permission to speak.

There will be other chances, and Will is very right about distrusting Maron, since we know how low he can sink when angered, and while Devrin is certainly ruthless, the kindness he showed seemed sincere, at least most of it.

Yeah, Willfred might not be the smartest guy around, but he has good instincts and there is something about Maron he just sees as off, perhaps only strengthened by Helenys' warning. Devrin meanwhile, he's a more complicated guy, there was definitely something warm about him that Willfred considered genuine. His full reasons for supporting a man such as Maron Mullendore, indeed, how much he even knows about his true nature, remains to be seen.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Go with Asher] While they could get in serious trouble, I want to hear the rest of the council. I still find awesome the way Aegon named Or

• You get to glimpse Orys Baratheon's room, talk some more with his squire, AND hear the rest of the war council. No brainer. Also Eeeeeeeee, Asher! :P

Hehe, I do hope he was to your liking :) It wasn't too much of him yet, but I can promise that he will be a major character in the Targaryen storyline going forward. Obviously, if this choice wins you'll already see more of him soon enough, but regardless, I have nice plans with the character and I hope you will enjoy them!

Chaosjester posted: »

[Go with Asher] You get to glimpse Orys Baratheon's room, talk some more with his squire, AND hear the rest of the war council. No braine

• ****[Go with Asher]
    ****[Agree to help Maron and Devrin]

• While I'm sure that this choice will be make the heads of the Cerberus take a different approach (expecially the crazy one) I think that it will be worse accept the offer and then betray them (and since we know their true allegiance leave their soldier at the Rock borders could only be a problem)

Ah, you caught up to the true deviousness of Maron's plan here and the issue that Willfred doesn't even know about. He seeks to gain the help of soldiers who are more or less serving the enemy of his kingdom. Either Willfred gets no help from the soldiers of Raylansfair, or he unknowingly invites allies of Harren Hoare to the Rock. The true question is if he can afford not to enter this potential alliance with Mullendore against Petyr.

1) Ah ah Ellena should have expected that attention!

She should have, aye. Then again, she is thirteen years old and in the presence of some of the most influential men of her time. Their attention can be a bit overwhelming and it isn't something anyone her age can reliably prepare for. To her credit, she pulled herself together relatively quickly.

2) It seems that we will soon leave Dragonstone as a location

It is true and it has a very pragmatic reason: I like Dragonstone and it might not be the last we've seen of it, but the Aegonsfort, the future King's Landing, is a developing location with a unique perspective. I think it can be super exciting to show the evolving capital of the Seven Kingdoms, from the humble beginnings as a mere fort, to eventually becoming a genuine city in its own right. That is why I decided to switch locations for Ellena's storyline, albeit there is the chance that I'll get back to Dragonstone at some point, because there is something really nice about writing in that location as well.

3) Since he want to disobey his knight orders,enter without permession in his room and spy the war council I can safely say that Asher is the worst squire of the Targaryen army! XD

He certainly is the most brazen. A combination of ambition, pride and curiosity never promises good, but Asher is young and still learning. And he genuinely wants to learn, which drives him to do stuff like that and not for the first time. Orys knows him quite well by now, though he probably wouldn't expect this move. It remains to be seen what sort of a man Asher will become as the story progresses and he grows older, though there have been some great people who started off like him.

4)Meanwhile at Raylainsfair I really like the conversation between Willfred and the members of the triumvirate (expecially Devren leave me a really good impression and I like how he use the "I know your family" card to obtain Willfred trust)

Ah, glad to hear it! I really think it is time to develop them a bit further. Well, Maron already received plenty development, but it cannot hurt to show, from time to time, that he is not just a sadist with anger issues, but he can also be quite diplomatic and affable if he wants to. He acted that way around Lucas and Leonard in Chapter 4 and around Harpy in Chapter 6 and we know how it ended for each of these. But fact is, if he wants to, he can prove just why he deserves the main villain status. Devrin meanwhile, he's a complicated guy, but definitely the most gifted talker of the trio. He knows how to appear like a friend, to Devrin, to Willfred, he's quite brilliant at that. And he really needs the screentime, to build him up as a legitimate third member of our villainous triumvirate.

5) Oh oh there is distrust between the heads of the Cerberus! However I'm really curious to read what will Petyr say at our PoV

Oh yes, there surely is. The downside of putting Maron Mullendore, Petyr Vyrwel and Devrin Oakheart, each naturally ambitious and untrusting, together for a common goal. Sooner or later, they'll start to distrust each other and neither of them actually likes the other farther than they need them. Petyr has plans of his own, possibly concerning Maron and Devrin as well, but then again, these two also have plans none of the other two will appreciate.

[Go with Asher] It is a dumb choice but I'm curious to read the rest of the war council [Refuse to help Maron and Devrin] While I'm sure

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited June 2018

[Go with Hemys] Must. Resist. Temptation. Lying and spying is not nice.

[Agree to help Maron and Devrin] So we have the main villain offering a character a chance to help him. Why it would be so rude to say no! What's the worst that could happen?

Actually, (in an edit here), I suppose they could try to frame Willfred or something. Maybe they know he's planning on being mean to them, I dunno.

• Aargh, this first choice is perhaps the most "smart thing to do" vs "interesting thing to do" choice ever :D Going with Hemys is what Ellena definitely should do, but as others have brought up getting a glimpse of Orys' chambers and hearing more of the war council would be super interesting. Not that I doubt you couldn't make the part with Hemys and Rhaenys interesting as well, I'm sure you could, but still =) Oh well, it's not like the other option seems to have much of a chance anyway, so... [Go with Asher]

As for the other part, while I'm kind of glad to see Maron and Petyr's alliance starting to crumble, I am a bit worried about Willfred getting mixed up in it. Then again, I won't complain because I'm sure it'll give us a very exciting storyline =) If Maron and Petyr are truly going to clash, I'll definitely root for Petyr, even if I wish that eventually both of them perish. And what comes to Willfred's choice, I'd say the smarter option here would be [Agree to help Maron and Devrin]. While Maron most certainly should not be underestimated, perhaps with the help of Lady Helenys (and Lord Petyr?) Willfred could outplay him. And for that, he needs to play along for now.

• [Go with Hemys]

It would be rude to say no to their faces. Agreeing to help them doesn't necessarily bound us to their cause, but instead gives us a chance to learn more of Mullendore's motives.

• [Go with Asher]

• [Go with Hemys]

• [Go with Asher]

• Actually, (in an edit here), I suppose they could try to frame Willfred or something. Maybe they know he's planning on being mean to them, I dunno.

That is an interesting theory and well, it is obviously not one I can comment on too much, but I'll try to say a bit without confirming or denying what you bring up here. But Mullendore doing such a thing would not even be all that unthinkable for him. It'd mean that he is tricking Willfred here, which in itself is something he'd definitely do. The question remains what he'd get out of misleading him, if he already knows that Willfred intends to scheme against him. While this obviously isn't something to be revealed right now, I can promise that you will get an answer to Mullendore's full motives with this request at some point in Book 2.

[Go with Hemys] Must. Resist. Temptation. Lying and spying is not nice. [Agree to help Maron and Devrin] So we have the main villain offe

• Aargh, this first choice is perhaps the most "smart thing to do" vs "interesting thing to do" choice ever :D Going with Hemys is what Ellena definitely should do, but as others have brought up getting a glimpse of Orys' chambers and hearing more of the war council would be super interesting. Not that I doubt you couldn't make the part with Hemys and Rhaenys interesting as well, I'm sure you could, but still =)

Haha, maybe to make things even harder, I should reveal that in terms of interesting things to happen, the option to go with Asher clearly wins in my book. However, as you said quite correctly, this isn't necessarily the smart thing to do and as interesting as this will be, negative consequences can happen. I mean, it's not as if more of Rhaenys won't be interesting in any way, but being a fly on the wall during one of Aegon's most crucial war meetings is obviously something that won't happen every day.

As for the other part, while I'm kind of glad to see Maron and Petyr's alliance starting to crumble, I am a bit worried about Willfred getting mixed up in it. Then again, I won't complain because I'm sure it'll give us a very exciting storyline =) If Maron and Petyr are truly going to clash, I'll definitely root for Petyr, even if I wish that eventually both of them perish.

Unsurprisingly, Petyr can be seen as the slightly lesser evil here, but at core, both have done plenty of awful things. Maron just happens to have done worse. Their alliance definitely isn't some stable villain friendship, they are both unrepentantly power-hungry alpha's, so tension is pretty much guaranteed. Of course, it remains to be seen if it'll end well for Willfred if he gets caught inbetween, especially if he tries to actively drive a rift between them as Helenys wants him to do.

Aargh, this first choice is perhaps the most "smart thing to do" vs "interesting thing to do" choice ever Going with Hemys is what Ellena d

• The Voting is closed!

Ellena is going to go with Asher

Willfred is going to agree to help Maron and Devrin

Well, I can say that neither of these choices was necessarily the wise one, especially in case of Ellena, but for certain they will lead to the more interesting outcomes, for the better or the worse. I am particularly excited about Ellena's choice, because it'll give me the chance to show more of Aegon's war council. As you can imagine, her perspective as Rhaenys' handmaiden isn't exactly the most well-suited to show that aspect of the War of Conquest, so such opportunities will be rare. Meanwhile, Willfred's decision will have massive consequences, certainly the most massive out of any choice in this chapter. For what outcome, I cannot yet tell you, but it will have a big effect on the way things will play out from now on.

The next part should be out later today. I am in time for the usual schedule again, which is good, so hopefully I can manage to stay in it for once and actually finish this chapter in a little over a month. This next part will be one from Drent's perspective, likely solely his PoV and it will likely also be one of the few parts without a choice. While I don't particularly like to have parts without a choice, I feel like this Drent part doesn't need one, but you'll see it when you read it. The parts to come will definitely have enough choices to make again :) So, last time we saw Drent, he was watching the first round of the joust, where Bernard Buckler and Emphryus Dresfel clashed. It ended in a very surprising victory for Bernard, who simply refused to go down despite being heavily injured. These injuries are likely to mean the end of his participation in this tourney, so it is a bit of a pyrrhic victory for him, but he nonetheless manages to leave with his dignity intact. Drent himself has to focus on his coming opponent, Warrick Fell, another one of Argella's suitors and after Emphryus already failed to humiliate Bernard, the pressure hasn't gotten any better. As I said, the part should come out later today and I hope you're going to enjoy it even without a choice.

• edited June 2018

Drent

The moment had come, faster than Drent had expected. One moment, he was still warming up, preparing for the fight to come and trying to calm down, the next moment, the sound of horns signalled that it was time for him to make his way to the tourney grounds. It was in this moment, that he stared down at himself and noticed just how much his hands were shaking.

Edonia shot him a bright smile, sweat running down her forehead, as she lowered the sparring sword. Trying to regain her breath for a moment, she managed to chuckle, as she took a step towards him. “That was...”, she gasped. “That was pretty good. If you fight like that during the melee, that poor Fell boy won't stand a chance”

Drent smiled thinly, though he shook his head. “Most of these people are knights, or aspiring to be”, he told her. “They are as good as five of us” Edonia shook her head, slowly regaining her breath. “That's what they want you to believe”, she replied slyly. “They can't be that different. Hit them 'til they stop moving, same as everyone else”

“It won't be that easy”, Drent argued. “Best chance I have is for them to just ignore me while they seek to beat each other” Edonia shrugged. “No glory in beating a common soldier, eh?”, she brought up. “Might be a way to get through this. You'll try to win, aye?”

After a moment of hesitation, Drent nodded. “I will try”, he promised. “Might as well” He put a hand onto her shoulder and pulled her into a brief hug, before he turned away and towards the tourney grounds. Masses of people were already following the same path, most of them spectators. In the crowd, he spotted Garen, side by side with Tariel, though neither of them reacted to seeing him there. Perhaps they didn't even notice him.

It was no surprise to him that he wasn't the only commoner to take part in the fight. Unlike the joust, they were accepted into the melee and they were at least capable of learning the basic skills required. Sure, Drent had no illusions about their chances when matched against someone such as Landry Swann, who wore armour more expensive than what an entire village combined earned in a year, but they could hope at least.

As such, roughly half of the combatants were smallfolk, soldiers, sellswords, even the occasional brave peasant, armed with thick leather, sometimes light mail and weapons way past their prime. The knights were a far more awe-inspiring sight. Having served at Storm's End for years, Drent knew quite a number of them. Landry Swann, Dickon Morrigen, Beric Storm, but also knights from afar, not all of which from houses Drent even knew by name. There was, among others, a flog of nightingales, a pair of fawns, a griffin and a roaring black lion.

And then there was Warrick Fell, standing by the side of the tourney grounds. He was talking with his companions, Jonathan and Bernard. The latter was sitting on a chair, one of his arms in a sling, his face bruised and swollen and yet, there was something prideful on it as well, something almost defiant as he looked towards the royal stand.

Of course, most of the attention went onto the king himself. Against any advice, Argilac had decided to participate, naturally so. Not only was he the oldest participant, at least as far as Drent was able to tell, he also was the one he actively dreaded to fight against. Against any other man, he could score a lucky hit. But with the Storm King, he'd either be thoroughly beaten, or he'd risk injuring his liege and there really wasn't a victory to gain there.

As he stood there, clad in heavy armour and wielding a hammer, the king looked dressed for war, even if Drent suspected, or at least hoped, that the hammer was a lighter one, not suited to kill. They fought with blunted weapons and this was not meant to be a slaughter, yet there was always the risk of injury and Drent had at least heard about death in these melees. The one at Fawnton six years ago had claimed the lives of two men, the one at Blackhaven even five. He gulped as he thought how many would lose their lives today.

With Argilac fighting, the throne in the centre of the royal stand was empty. Argella was seated to its right on a smaller chair, watching the fighters with a stony gaze. She had taken the break between the joust and the melee to get changed, now dressed in a form-fitting gown of bright yellow, the black fur collar barely visible beneath her open hair. A silver diadem adorned her head, almost a crown, with two small antlers of solid silver protruding from it. Between them, a blood red ruby was embedded into the diadem, complimenting the darkness of her hair. Fair she was, yet distant and even if he'd win a thousand tourneys in her name, she'd remain out of reach. Royal blood from a line unbroken hailing back to the dawn of time and the gods themselves. It wasn't all that hard to believe, as he saw her sitting there.

Another horn signal caused Drent to snap back, turning his attention away from the princess and towards the other combatants. Fortunately, none had noticed him gazing at her, not even Argella herself, who was looking at her father, her fists clenched with worry. Behind her, Qoherys mumbled something and briefly, their eyes met. She did not smile and Drent quickly looked away.

One by one, the combatants picked their weapons. Argilac already had his hammer and the knights were armed with blunt swords. The smallfolk fighters had a more colourful array of weapons, ranging from clubs, to hammers, to the occasional sword. Drent himself hesitated for a moment, before he picked up a spear from the nearby weapon stand, followed by putting on a light helmet, protecting his head and parts of his face.

“My friends!”, Argilac yelled and his powerful voice sounded any chatter, even among the hundreds of onlookers. “We have seen a tremendous joust so far, we have seen the best men this kingdom has to offer! And yet, you all know me. You all know, there is one part of any tourney I anticipate more than any other!” He raised his hands, effortlessly lifting the hammer with one, which gave Drent hope that it was indeed too light to actually kill those he'd hit with it. “You all know the rules, so there won't be a big speech today”, he roared and the crowd began to cheer. “Assume position!”

And so they did. Argilac's melee was to the king's liking, a chaotic affair, where the combatants were arranged in a circle at the edges of the round tourney grounds. The centre was empty and they'd all rush towards it, fighting everyone else until only one would remain standing. All was fair, aside from hitting those on the ground. They'd fight until all but one were unable or unwilling to stand up. Drent himself took position between a bald brute, clad in leather and armed with a blunt mace, as well as a knight, his shield depicting the purple lightning bolt of Dondarrion. Neither of them was even looking at him, as all focussed onto their king, who was now putting on a heavy helmet, adorned by two massive antlers.

Standing in line among these armed warriors, Drent felt small, insignificant. He clung to his spear, one finger moving over the blunted tip, as his gaze fell upon his target, standing in the row of warriors on the other side. For once, Warrick Fell was showing no signs of boredom, but a calm, yet cautious expression of determination. He wouldn't make it easy, though with the Storm King himself in the fray, he was by no means the greatest threat in the melee either. He looked up to the royal stand, noticing that Argella's stern gaze was resting on his, her fingers clenched around the armrests of her chair. Slowly, she nodded at him.

It was Drent who looked away first, but not before giving her a reassuring smile, as he quickly focussed onto the Storm King again. Argilac looked around and Drent could only imagine the satisfied grin he undoubtedly had beneath his helmet as he looked at the combatants, each of which had assumed his position. Once more, he raised his hammer above his head. “Begin!”, he roared, his voice distorted through the helmet, yet echoing over the tourney ground.

Drent anticipated the first move that was made against him. As expected, the Dondarrion knight did not bother with him, instead charging towards the centre of the tourney grounds. Things were different with the bald brute to his left. Seemingly out of nowhere, he attacked, quickly focussing onto Drent and taking a swing with his mace.

Swiftly, Drent took a step aside, the mace hitting nothing but thin air, though his opponent, eyes narrowed, attacked again and this time, he had to block. Smashing against the thick wood of the spear, Drent pushed against the mace, while behind him, the real fighting began, a cacophony of clashing steel and roaring battle cries. Someone screamed out in pain already.

Pushing the mace away, Drent followed by a swift attack to the brute's head. The man wasn't wearing a helmet, perhaps he was unable to even afford one and as the lower end of the spear hit him, he undoubtedly realized what a mistake this has been. Staggering backwards, he now had to defend himself as Drent swiftly took a series of attacks against his unprotected face. Though his opponent knocked away the first strike with his mace, the heavy steel tip of the spear smashed against his cheek. While blunted, it was nonetheless painful and the man went onto his knees.

Smiling grimly, Drent raised the wooden end of his spear to end the fight, though as he moved in to knock his opponent out, the man grabbed the spear, holding it away from his face with one hand. The other, still holding the mace, took a swing and the weapon hit Drent in the stomach. Though it was a lighter version, not meant to kill or even cause serious injury and he wore leather and mail to protect himself, the attack was heavy enough to press the air out of Drent's lungs.

Still not letting go of the spear, the bald man managed to get back to his feet again, blood now running down the cut on his cheek, the flesh already forming a nasty bruise. Grunting in pain and anger, he attempted to repay the favour, now swinging towards Drent's head.

However, instead of trying to free his spear to hopefully block the strike, Drent instead took a risk, as he let go of his weapon, dodging the mace as it barely missed his head. He jumped forwards, into his opponent with all his weight, knocking him to the ground and quickly punching him, intentionally hitting the bruise his spear had caused earlier. After three punches, he knew the man wouldn't get up all that quickly.

Slowly, he himself rose again, clinging onto his spear, one hand pressed against his stomach, as he tried to ignore the pain. Looking around, he realized that he stood on the outskirts of the melee, with most of the fight taking place in the centre of the tourney grounds. Argilac stood there, having already downed a knight and bringing his hammer down onto an unlucky peasant who foolishly had dared to challenge his king. As the man got lifted up by the hammer, before heavily falling onto the ground, Drent had his doubts he'd ever rise again.

But the king was not of his concern right now, especially as Argilac, hungry for a proper fight, charged towards Dickon Morrigen. Drent had a different goal. As he looked around, trying to avoid getting dragged into another duel for now, he tried to spot Warrick Fell.

This turned out to be even harder than he thought. Standing on the outskirts of the fray, Drent only saw a blur of different colours, as the knights, each of them wearing a full set of armour, raised their shields to block, their tabards already stained with mud and, in some cases, blood. Warrick was no different and unlike the horns on Argilac's helmet or the stylized wings on Landry Swann's, he bore little that truly made him stand out from the crowd. With a sigh, Drent realized that he had little choice but to enter the heat of the battle if he wanted to have any chance to find his target.

As he came closer, it became easier to differentiate between the multitude of colours. The Dondarrion knight who had stood by his side earlier was in a fierce duel with another man whose shield sported a flog of nightingales. Beric Storm, the bastard of Blackhaven, bore a strikingly similar sigil, though the lightning bolt on his shield was red instead of purple. He fought just a few feet away, almost back to back with the Dondarrion, locked in a fight with a Durrandon man-at-arms.

And there he was! Drent narrowed his eyes as he finally found Warrick Fell. His tabard flashed up for just a moment, long enough to locate him a few dozen feet away, currently fighting a man with the three moths of House Horpe on his shield. Between them and Drent stood over thirty men, locked into duels of their own, a sight that caused him to frown and yet, he had no choice. Somehow, he had to get past them.

Just as he approached the crowd, one of the knights knocked his opponent to the ground and his gaze, wandering around for a new man to fight, fell onto Drent. The soldier froze in place as the knight pointed his sword right at him, a wordless challenge. His shield and tabard were green, yet the colour on the former was flaking off from the heavy blows delivered against it, while the latter bore significant mud stains. Still, the pair of fawns was visible on both.

Drent gripped his spear tightly. It was a challenge, one he could barely evade, but what chance would he stand against a knight? With a heavy heart, he saw Warrick defeating his Horpe opponent, before the fawn knight claimed his attention again, as he charged towards him, yelling something at the top of his lungs. Perhaps he was just yelling, frenzied by the battle around him.

Briefly, the knight was stopped by a sellsword stumbling in the way, a man disoriented by a blow to the head, yet he paid little attention to him as he knocked him aside and to the ground. Barely slowed down, he continued his way towards Drent, who noticed that other fighters had closed around him, leaving him with no room to escape.

Thankfully, there was enough room to jump aside as the knight reached him, for he knew he had little chance to block a strike coming from a charging man in full armour, at least not with a spear. The knight's strike missed him, as did the entire body of the man, instead, he almost charged into two soldiers fighting behind them. He stopped himself just in time to move around, blocking Drent's attack with his shield.

With this, he made a counterattack, forcing Drent to back off, as the sword quickly and skillfully dashed forwards, again and again. Drent himself parried the first strike, took a step aside to evade the second, before parrying the third again, yet the fourth, a backhanded attack, grazed his chest. Though heavy, it failed to do any damage, the leather and mail doing its duty.

Though Drent was unable to see the knight's face beneath the helmet, he saw at least a glimpse of his intense glare. Once more, he attacked, the sword aimed for Drent's head. It was an attack easily dodged, as Drent ducked below the strike. He yanked his spear forwards, past the shield, hitting the centre of the knight's chest, though the heavy plate significantly lessened the impact. Instead of falling to the ground, the fawn knight merely staggered backwards for a few steps, before attacking again, now with added fury. He was stronger, he was not much slower and armour and weaponry were of a far superior quality than Drent's, but in his fury, there was his weakness.

The next attack was strong, but sloppy, easily dodged, as the knight stumbled forwards due to all the force he had put into it. Drent used this opportunity, the wooden end of his spear striking forward, not aimed at the man's upper body, but at his legs, finding a way between them. The knight's head twitched towards him, the eyes beneath it widening, as he swiftly tried to land a blow. Before he could do it, Drent pressed the spear against his legs, essentially knocking him over. The knight fell, heavily and face first, right onto the tourney ground.

For a moment, Drent considered waiting until the man would get up again, if he'd even get up at all in his heavy armour. Yet as the knight groaned, it became clear that this could take a while. A satisfied smile formed on his face and in this moment, he liked to believe that part of the deafening roars of the crowd were directed at him.

He looked around, as all around him, more and more fighters were defeated. King Argilac knocked a Selmy knight to the ground, while Landry Swann fought against two men, one wearing heavy armour, the other the lighter mail of a man-at-arms. The Caron and the Dondarrion were still locked in their fierce duel, while the Bastard of Blackhaven traded blows with a knight sporting a griffin on his tabard. All in all, the number of combatants was dropping swiftly and significantly, perhaps less than three dozen still standing. Seeing this, it gave Drent a feeling of excitement. Three dozen of nearly a hundred and he was among them, he had taken out two of them by his own already.

Spotting Warrick in the crowd, Drent did not hesitate. He ignored a challenge uttered at him from behind, as he dashed forwards, only briefly glancing over his shoulder, to see a knight with golden trefoils on his shield, though the man did not pursue him. Instead, he went to face a man with the crossed quills of House Penrose, the two knights quickly engaging into a duel.

Drent wasted no time, as he located Warrick, who had just defeated another opponent. Rushing past several combatants, one of them even turning to challenge him, he charged right at his target. Warrick saw him coming by chance, his head turning into Drent's direction. Correctly predicting his intention, he raised his greatsword.

Instead of rushing straight into him, Drent stopped himself just in time to stay out of reach of the sword. The long blade nearly negated any advantage his spear would grant him, though it wasn't the first time he'd fight a man with such a weapon. Warrick had lost his helmet in battle, a slight drawback, though it revealed his stern face and his odd eyes, a mismatched blue with one clearly lighter than the other. Paired with the sweat and blood running down his forehead, it made for a downright unsettling combination.

Staring at each other for a moment, Warrick attacked first, his sword swinging forwards, as Drent evaded the blow by taking a step back. He followed by jumping forwards, grabbing the spear with both hands and trying to push the tip against Warrick's chest. His opponent moved the sword back, the steel crashing against the spear and nearly hitting Drent's fingers, deflecting the blow and lessening its impact, yet not outright evading it. The spear grazed the left side of Warrick's chest plate, though the man clearly barely noticed it. His intense stare was still fixed on Drent, as he narrowed his eyes. There was anger in them, more than Drent would have expected from a simple melee, but unlike the fawn knight, he kept himself under control remarkably well.

Up close, the greatsword had a slight advantage, as Warrick slammed the crossguard into Drent's side. It wasn't a heavy attack, yet nonetheless painful enough for him to notice, as he staggered to the side. While this allowed Warrick a greater range with his sword, it more importantly gave Drent the room he needed to properly block with his spear. He followed by doing exactly that, blocking the next of Warrick's blows.

Clenching his teeth, he still held against the greatsword, slightly moving the tip of the spear towards Warrick's unprotected face. It was there that the man surprised him. Instead of backing off, he actively moved towards the spear, pushing closer even as the blunted steel reached his cheek. Though there was no sharp edge, Drent knew from experience how uncomfortable this had to be.

He realized a bit too late what Warrick was attempting as he came closer. Jumping back a bit too late, the crossguard of the greatsword hit him from below, smashing against his jaw as Warrick moved the blade upwards. For a moment, his sight was a blur, his hearing muffled and he could taste blood in his mouth.

As he stumbled backwards, he noticed Warrick taking another strike at him. He dodged, if barely, before slamming the lower end of his spear into his opponent's stomach area. Warrick groaned, though he seemed to ignore the pain, as he instantly attacked again. This time, Drent evaded the attack more easily, readying his spear for another attack.

Instead of blocking, Warrick replied with an attack of his own and Drent's eyes widened as he realized he wouldn't be able to escape the greatsword this time. In a real fight, this would have been his death. Instead, it merely smashed against his ribs, still at full force. The leather and mail meant little in this moment, as Drent heard and, worse than that, felt something cracking. Tears shot into his eyes, though he still saw that his spear did not miss its target either.

The steel tip hit Warrick right in the throat. Another lethal wound in a real fight and even with a blunted weapon, this was perhaps the most dangerous blow he could have landed. While the man was lucky that it did not pierce the flesh, his eyes widened and he began to gasp and cough. While Drent weakly clung to his spear, Warrick let go of his sword, sinking onto his knees and clutching his throat. His face began to grow red, as he visibly struggled to breath. He looked up at Drent, who had his spear raised again.

A moment passed. Then another. Finally, Drent lowered his spear and Warrick sunk onto all fours, steadily regaining his breath. Nonetheless, the coughing and gasping continued, making it clear that he was out of the melee. Triumphantly despite the pain, Drent looked to the royal stand, seeing that Argella had jumped up. Her fists clenched, she had a wide smile on her face and though bloodied, bruised and in pain, he chuckled in relief, first hesitantly, then slowly growing more joyful. He had done it. Warrick Fell was down, defeated by a common soldier. And yet, the melee was not yet over.

As he looked around, he noticed just how few had gotten this far. The tourney ground was littered with unconscious men, or those trying to crawl away from it. Shields, once proudly displaying the colours of the Stormlands' best, were now lying in the mud, trampled on without care.

Just a little over half a dozen were left standing and Drent realized just how large the tourney grounds actually were. His heartbeat fastened as he spotted King Argilac on the ground. Landry Swann stood above him. The king had lost his helmet and there was blood in his beard, yet he was laughing, a thunderous, uplifting sound.

Chuckling from beneath his helmet, Landry reached down to help him up and the king got back onto his feet. Patting him onto the shoulder, he dragged himself towards the royal stand and Argella looked down at her father, still showing joy, now mixed with heartfelt relief. The king did not make it entirely, as he went onto his knees again just in front of the stand, opting to instead sit on the muddy tourney ground, leaning against the wood of the stand.

His heart beating faster, Drent looked around. Landry Swann was still standing, now in the centre of the tourney ground. Beric Storm was there as well, still in remarkable shape. And then, it dawned upon Drent, that he was the only combatant left from the ranks of the smallfolk. Aside from Landry and Beric, there were the knight with the roaring black lion on his shield, as well as the Penrose knight and the man from House Caron, having defeated his Dondarrion opponent.

Drent noticed how quickly his breaths came. Maybe there was a shot at actually winning this! How often had that happened before? A commoner, a lowborn soldier, winning a melee, with the best of the realm participating. Slowly, the final combatants approached each other, before the man with the black lion made the first move. He charged towards the Penrose knight, while Drent and Beric Storm both targeted Caron. The man seemed to be in the worst shape, perhaps the easiest of his remaining five opponents to defeat.

It was in this moment that Drent felt a hand grabbing him by the neck and he suppressed a heartfelt curse. In his desire to win this fight, he had ignored perhaps the greatest remaining threat. Landry Swann smashed him to the ground, glaring down at him, as he raised his sword. Drent's eyes widened and he rolled to the side, as the sword hit nothing but dirt where his chest had been just seconds ago.

Jumping up, Drent knew he only had one chance. His spear pushed forwards, trying to find a weak spot in Landry's armour, but the captain of the royal guard did not make it easy for him. Instead, his greatsword knocked the spear aside, with such force that it knocked the weapon straight out of his hand.

Now unarmed, Drent tried to jump back to evade the greatsword, something he actually managed to do, though he failed to prevent Landry from grabbing him again. Without saying a word, the knight slammed the crossguard of his sword into Drent's face, before he let go of him.

Pain exploded right in his face and for a brief moment, Drent was unable to see or hear just about anything going on. His head was thumping and the world twirled around him as he fell onto the ground, heavily so, once more hitting the back of his head. Slowly, his senses returned, his sight, his hearing, but unfortunately the pain grew only stronger. He felt warm blood running down his face and through a veil of tears, he spotted Landry simply walking over him and focussing onto his next opponent. Drent tried to get up, he had to, though doing so only made his head spin worse, the pain growing downright agonizing. Then, just as he opened his mouth, trying to scream, everything faded.

No Choices for this part

• Damn, that was an intense fight. We knew Drent didn't had that much of a chance, but he succeeded in defeating Warrick Fell.

Caron, Dondarrion, Penrose, Cafferen, Grandison and Connington, the mightiest bannermen in the Stormlands, and I hope we at least get to know their names later.

Drent The moment had come, faster than Drent had expected. One moment, he was still warming up, preparing for the fight to come and tryin

• Well he did better then I thought he would, considering he nearly won the thing but yeah he didn't really have much of a chance against fully trained knights.
    Now I actually wanted to ask you two questions although they are basicly the same.
    Which dead characters could have still been alive at this point if we made different choices?
    And the oppisite of that, Which alive characters could have died if we made different choices?

Drent The moment had come, faster than Drent had expected. One moment, he was still warming up, preparing for the fight to come and tryin

• Man, that was intense. Drent taking out Warrick was arguably the riskiest part of Argella's plan, but our boy handled it like a champ! Very enjoyable and well-written part, I'm excited to see what's next in Drent's storyline, and I think that's all I've got to say this time =)

• Damn, that was an intense fight. We knew Drent didn't had that much of a chance, but he succeeded in defeating Warrick Fell.

Ah, glad you enjoyed the fight! Indeed, Drent's chances of winning have always been extremely low and wouldn't have been realistic, so this really is the best outcome he could have hoped for, placing sixth out of over ninety fighters (albeit with a bit of luck) and succeeding in defeating the man he even participated for. Not quite the victory, but a very respectable outcome nonetheless and people will talk about this soldier who managed to stand longer than his king.

Caron, Dondarrion, Penrose, Cafferen, Grandison and Connington, the mightiest bannermen in the Stormlands, and I hope we at least get to know their names later.

Far more than just their names even! I mean, not all of these characters will play a big part, half of them aren't even submitted characters, but I nonetheless intend to have them play some sort of a role as the story goes on. Some even have a fairly decent role in the things to come, though it might be some time until we'll see them all again. But expect quite a number of name drops in Drent's next part.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

Damn, that was an intense fight. We knew Drent didn't had that much of a chance, but he succeeded in defeating Warrick Fell. Caron, Donda

• Which dead characters could have still been alive at this point if we made different choices?

Hm, a very interesting question and one I am happy to answer (though that applies to every question, I love to answer them :D). So, last time you asked, I already told you that Alexander Botwerys could have still been alive, but there's obviously more. There are a couple major players who could have survived in Book 1, most importantly Lucas Flowers, though his death has always been way more likely than his survival. Harris is another one and his survival actually was a 50/50 chance, narrowing down to Lucas' decision to allow him to help during the raid. Marak could have also survived and his survival wasn't actually too unlikely, it narrowed down to the condition of Terroma during their final confrontation. Looking through the list, there are many characters who could have theoretically lived, going from obscure ones such as Trymon Brune (who could have lived if Maya wouldn't have chosen to stab him in Chapter 3, obviously), over big ones such as Lunett and Hackor, who could have lived if you would have picked more careful choices for the characters around them. Each of these characters would have still been alive by now if they would have survived Book 1, though I can at least tell you that there has been no chance for Harris and Hackor to survive the entire story, the latter of which would have died in Book 2 instead, with the former also eventually receiving his comeuppance.

And the oppisite of that, Which alive characters could have died if we made different choices?

Well, keeping in line with what I said above, Lawsen could have obviously died if you would have saved Alexander. Jenna could have died as well, all the way back in Chapter 3, where I had no real idea where her story would go to. In retrospect, I am glad she survived, because there's going to be quite some stuff in line for her. A pretty big one is Leonard, who could have fought against Lucas in the trial by combat at the end of Book 1, sacrificing himself for his friend and making sure to ruin Mullendore's and Petyr's plans with his final act, notably the only way for Lucas to survive Book 1. Kersea could have died if she would have not resisted Clayton's way of life as much as she ultimately did, whereas Harren and Harlan Hoare could have both been killed during the attempt on Harren's life in Chapter 5. In that case, he would have been replaced by King Harmund the Infinitely Worse. Raenna could have ended up killing Noelle the red priestess, but the choice to spare her won instead.

Well he did better then I thought he would, considering he nearly won the thing but yeah he didn't really have much of a chance against full

• Hehe, glad to hear you enjoyed it :) It was indeed the most risky part of Argella's plan, as Edonia has actually great chances to defeat Jonathan Errol during the archery contest, so it is ironic that he succeeded where Emphryus failed to take down Bernard Buckler. Of course, a bit of luck was involved as well and things could have been different if someone as skilled as Landry would have focussed on Drent earlier than he eventually did, but that doesn't change how impressive this feat is. Drent is notably the only lowborn fighter among the best twenty in this melee and that alone will be quite a reputation, on top of defeating three men and standing for longer than even Argilac himself (as much as that is a consequence of Argilac being in his late sixties).

Man, that was intense. Drent taking out Warrick was arguably the riskiest part of Argella's plan, but our boy handled it like a champ! Very

• edited June 2018

Since I'm fine with any outcome I won't choose this time

RT:
    1) Oh boy this was a very action centric part!I love it!
    2) Congratulations to Drent to have succeed his own part in their mission! And he even reach the 6th position of the joust after defeating 3 guys (and two of them were full armoured and better trained knights)
    3) Btw I'm curious if at the end of the tourney we will learn the winners of the joust,meele and archery contest
    4) Ah ah this time you mentioned even more Houses! I'm curious to learn if the members of them will have a role in the story

Sign in to comment in this discussion.